I still don't understand why some people like 2nd

ML

How many she had shown him that, she feels uncomfortable around him!.....why can't he understand that?...

She even rejected him Clearly!!

She even told in front of everyone she had a boyfriend..

He just drunk and using that to hug her..

What is love meant to Sun Woo? I think forcing a girl to be with him is love to Sun Woo....

No matter who she loves, he will keep annoys her...

This is not love, He can't accept the fact a girl rejected him.... 

I also don't like him at all...He is a superficial guy who is accustomed to get what he wants,when he wants it mainly because he is handsome...He treats woman in such a sh*tty manner or people he dims lower than him,like how many woman he hurt till the present day and he doesn't feel any remorse what so ever because he doesn't think he did anything wrong...He just wants to change now to look better in front of Dam rather than truly wishing to be a better person...Is a clingy entitled dude as well...Also,irks me so much that he keeps touching her when she made it clear she feels uncomfortable,makes me wanna break his hand from my end for him to stop...

I think it might be because there are multiple understandings of second lead syndrome (SLS).  One is when the viewer wants to pair the second lead with the main because they view it as a better choice. Another one might be when the viewer starts to fall for the second lead regardless of what they think about the main lead relationship and just want them to be happy. It might also be the case that they like the actor more than the main actor and might not really have much to do with the characters. I am sure there are other definitions of SLS, but I think this might be the root of many misunderstandings about who has or does not have SLS.

I tend to view SLS from the drama's perspective. It is about feeling strongly that a main lead would be better off choosing a second lead in the end. That has just never happened.

i dun know too. maybe he just head over heels on Lee Dam. I hope this show will be a good ending, pls not a bad ending, since There are ties between Sun Woo and Lee Dam. but who knows , the writers may give us more hints in the next week episode. 

ItsyaboiKoreanlover:

i dun know too. maybe he just head over heels on Lee Dam. I hope this show will be a good ending, pls not a bad ending, since There are ties between Sun Woo and Lee Dam. but who knows , the writers may give us more hints in the next week episode. 

Don't worry it will have a happy ending!!! String thing is just a thing to test Lee Dam and Gumiho.. Sun woo just keeps annoying her in the next episode also...

Yehh, hope it as u said and as it said the string makes them grow feeling, but idk. Or maybe the mountain spirit just set up like u said just to test The gumiho

I agree. To me, he has a very old-fashioned and self-absorbed personality that they try and make up for by showing us how he is nice sometimes to FL but still regards himself as better than everyone else in a very narcissistic manner. And would he have fallen for her if she had wanted him? Probably not. Also, just in contrast with ML's actions, it makes him look bad.  Not saying ML is perfect or anything, just that between the two, I can't understand SLS the same way in other dramas I can understand why people cry about SLS. 

Is the ML that better? I think the SL is a normal 20 year old boy, who has a crush for the first time. The ML is a 900 year old who was bad for all of his 900 years just for a selfish reason. He is now in love, after hurting her and wants to harm somebody else.

I said “Not saying ML is perfect or anything” for good reason. I’m just saying in the terms of a romance drama, a dude who is rude to other people and only nice to FL is quite an outdated concept. And that’s exactly what SL does. He puts down her friends either with words or in his own thoughts, and views himself as higher. That’s the point I was making.

I was replying to the discussion in general. I agree with you on the lack of originality, but it extends to the whole drama, not just the SL. My point was just to expose my idea, which is that the ML is not better, in fact I think it is even worse. The other one is a little boy, unpleasant but who may be able to change with the force of love (I'm laughing writing this). but you get my point.

Oh! I’m sorry then, I’m new to MDL so I should check how this works before getting so defensive. Lol. Yeah, at the end of the day it’s all about preference of characters as some people might enjoy watching a young college student falling in love and changing while others prefer a cold immortal falling in love and changing due to it. No characters should be without development after all. :) 

No problem! I don't like either of them, but I don't think the young boy is this monster

Although he is not necessarily bad, like someone mentioned before, if she had paid attention to him would he still have fallen for her? I don't think so. He started to bother her because in my opinion in a way he wanted her attention. He questioned why she didn't pay attention to him, why did she like someone who is not him.  He doesn't understand the word "No".  How many times has she said no, yet he ignores all of that? I don't think he loves her but rather he likes the thought of her liking him like all the other girls.

I agree completely, Lia. Seon-woo is genuinely creeping me out with his complete lack of boundaries and disregard for Dam's opinions and frequent rejections. It's actually starting to bleed into my opinion of the actor (great actor btw), because I just get so repulsed every time I see him on screen.

Lia0215:

Although he is not necessarily bad, like someone mentioned before, if she had paid attention to him would he still have fallen for her? I don't think so. He started to bother her because in my opinion in a way he wanted her attention. He questioned why she didn't pay attention to him, why did she like someone who is not him.  He doesn't understand the word "No".  How many times has she said no, yet he ignores all of that? I don't think he loves her but rather he likes the thought of her liking him like all the other girls.

Quite true...Like,if u know the other person feels uncomfortable in your presence,if u have common sense and respect for the one you say u like u actually put a distance and stop being clingy,that is no other than harrasing the other party if she constantly has to tell u off even in such nice ways as Dam does...

How much more uncomfortable one has to be for one to finally stop?

In the end Je Jin is the best! Just to compare human VS human as Gumiho shi is not human so from the start is not fair to compare them...