i finished this show yesterday, and i am still thinking about that ending. i did a small rewatch and here is what i noticed so far and questions i still have.  this is part 2

SPOILERS FOR THE JDRAMA (episodes 1-7)!! DO NOT SPOIL THE MANGA

Episode 4:

things i've noticed:

• kyosuke is one of the last ones to pray for kano. this displays his "newness" to the goto family traditions. perhaps keisuke tried to shelter him as long as he could.
  • a kid from the village reaches for a piece of meat from the BBQ. his hand is swatted away and he is given an apple. none of the kids eat the meat.
  • sabu remarks that there is not a lot of young children in the village. this is later to be revealed that the midwife, gin goto, would steal newborns to feed "that man" during the village festival. these newborns were declared stillborn and given birth certificates. daigo remarks that the goto family has lots of young children. this is because the goto family was exempt from this tradition.
  • sabu really tries to play up the village drunk to throw off daigo. sabu claims he can only drink from this one bottle. i assume theres no alcohol in this bottle
  • sabu claims that they feel trapped by the goto family as they are the suppliers of lumber. without the goto family's lumber, they would not be able to survive. 
  • in episode 5, sabu implies he saw yuki and daigo making out. in this episode. a villager spies on yuki and daigo but runs away before being caught. they spray painted murderer on their house. sabu arrives shortly after and based on the prior mentioned comment, is believed to be the culprit.
  • one of the goto family claims daigo "trusts them too much" as in the villagers. "they're a bunch of sneaky scumbags."
  • sumire's mother is in a psychiatric hospital. is it possible she has the laughing disease?
  • yuki remarks "everytime we do something new, sabu-san is there"
  • why do the villagers treat daigo so bad after he disrespecting sabu?
  • "one wrong word can turn everybody against you"- perhaps this has happens before. maybe this was a cuase of a goto family vs villager fight

episode 5:

• the villagers ask if the head priest of the shrine is unwell. the junior states that his grandfather is fine. this is proven to be a lie when he tells keisuke later his grandfather is dying
  • the junior tells daigo to leave with his family. both the villagers and the goto family must be aware of what happens during the festival.
  • junior states that hundred of years ago, human sacrifices were made to the gods, typically children, to reduce the amount of mouths to feed. 
  • when mashiro and her friends are playing, there are playing a version of the festival. mashiro acts as the human doll and her friends are villagers in a circle around her. this could be foreshadowing for the ending.
  • the moms are making human dolls

episode 6

• is jin an undercover for the goto family?
  • i think it's odd that kanako found mashiro. perhaps mashiro was lead to be abducted, and kanako knew where that would happen
 madrevolutionarygirl:
a kid from the village reaches for a piece of meat from the BBQ. his hand is swatted away and he is given an apple. none of the kids eat the meat.

???? omg i did not notice that!!?!/!?!?!? It breaks from my theory but would be really good if thats what was happening.

madrevolutionarygirl:
sabu really tries to play up the village drunk to throw off daigo. sabu claims he can only drink from this one bottle. i assume theres no alcohol in this bottle

I also noticed this and thought it was weird. Not sure if they were just saying he only likes a particular kind of alcohol though.

madrevolutionarygirl:
sumire's mother is in a psychiatric hospital. is it possible she has the laughing disease?

Well... hmm the thing is, I'm wondering if the village is not given human meat though because they are considered cattle. As cattle they can't participate in the ceremony of accepting the spirit or whatever of the dead (which is why I think Keisuke is a really interesting head of the family since he differ's from his grandmother's philosophy. Daigo is invited to participate in eating the meat of the bear in episode 1, for example, despite being what his grandmother would have considered as cattle). 

But... if Sumire's mom and Sumire were given human meat because Keisuke was planning on going steady with Sumire, then it would make sense that her mom got the disease. She might have been invited to eat the meat as a way of being introduced to the family. In fact, Kuno being told the truth as they were planning to go steady might have been what pushed him over the edge. But... it would also be odd since Sumire didn't seem to be bothered by this cannibalism when she last saw her father, implying she might not have known. 

And what does that mean for Keisuke and Sumire's child? And why was Keisuke's brother Yosuke considered not full-blooded or whatever by Iwao? Curious about this family tree and how legitimacy is considered.

madrevolutionarygirl:
why do the villagers treat daigo so bad after he disrespecting sabu?

This might actually have to do with your theory that everyone in the village eats meat. If Daigo conforms to the village leader, if he practices strict obedience to their social rules, then he can likely stay as a cannibal. However, if he shows resistance, they may want him kicked out of the village for threatening their way of life. 

Okay so my big question is about the gray hair. Keisuke, we see, has always had gray hair, even as a child. Now this could be Special Anime Boy Syndrome, but i wonder if it's actually a genetic trait related to the way the Kuze Disease affects their family differently than it does normal people. Perhaps the reason why Keisuke was expected to inherit the family head position instead of his mother has less to do with patriarchy (as his grandmother was the family head afterall) and more to do with someone's ability to resist some of the features of the laughing disease. Andddd maybe that's why Iwao says something to Yosuke about him not being i don't remember the word exactly, but basically he was somewhat less than Keisuke. 

Also I think the parallel between Mashiro's relationship with that pedophile and her relationship with the monster is probably some kind of foreshadowing or insight into the way That Man thinks. 

Also, I have a theory about scars. Keisuke and Daigo have the same scar in their forehead. For a while I was like, why would Keisuke have that scar if judgement from That Man occurs when you cross the Goto family. And then I thought, well maybe Keisuke crossed That Man when he let his mother leave with the human sacrifice. 

There are two possible reasons why That Man did not kill Daigo in my mind. The first being Daigo is the father of Mashiro, who That Man seems to like. The other is that Daigo is actually a long-lost descendant of the Gotos and is exempt from death. That's kind of a far fetch though. I'm curious about what goes into That Man's decision making for death versus life. Like why was Kuno killed but Daigo not? If it is because of Mashiro, then that brings into question why would Kuno be killed when his daughter, Sumire, had an intimate relationship with Keisuke? 

Also, I'm curious by what Kuno meant about the weasels in the attic. We have not heard any noise in the attic the entire show. Possibly it's just a metaphor warning as in, don't mess with something that bothers you but doesn't not hurt you. I don't know anyway just some thoughts I've been mulling over.

ALSO I was wondering about the births of the children in the village. Those "stillborns." Did you notice that we never hear about the father of Kanako's daughter? I would be curious to know if the children that get abducted are actually fathered by the Goto family. Of course, this kind of doesn't work since That Man eats the children, but it was something I was thinking about.

Thanks for making this thread! I hate that this is two seasons but it's nice to have a break that forces me to theorize.