Recently I've read a bunch of novels where the FL transmigrates to the past(ancient china). And I always get caught up with what I would do and how little I actually know about modern stuff and how it's made.

So as as a thought experiment.

If you transmigrated to the past, what would you do or make to become successful or rich? And you have to think of yourself as starting as a nobody with no money or background. Too often in these kind of novels everything just seems to happen to easily.

Been obsessed with isekai novels, and I've got to say being a woman in ancient history is pretty tough. When you are rich and fom nobility/royalty, you'd most likely be a currency for your family to get better connections or used in negotiations. And when you are poor, you are without agency/freedom, bound to follow your mistress/master bidding, thus could easily be killed/used/played with by your master/mistress or the enemy camp due to power play or even just simple whims. Both are certainly not desireable.

Almost all the the novels I've read, isekai-ed people usually end up being a daughter/son to a rich/noble, badly treated and all that, but with the knowledge to the the 'future' events of the story or the 'know how' of modern ideas/sensibilities that allows easier navigation through the ancient world. This is quite frankly the Heroine Halo plot that makes it easy in the isekai-ed life.

Having the business ideas but being poor would be a way to be used by the rich and your ideas stolen. But if the ancient people thought of you as the divine being, they rich and nobility would try to get you on their side to make sure their power will be sustained.  So as a transmigrator with poverty background, I'd probably try to be a shaman/priestess. Having modern day knowledge of science 'magic' used to show as a divine power. then from their expdand connection and power.

I had seen a funny yet honest video recently where they were talking about the reality of being stuck in the past. Unless you know how something was invented or how it functions, your knowledge would be pretty much useless.

If I transmigrate to the past (depends on how far back but let's say a century), I wonder if I would even be believed if I said anything about future developments. I would not even be able to make predictions for individuals to work as a shaman. I don't know if I would have the means to develop anything. Maybe if I found some rich or influential companionship then I could help develop ideas. The resistance to change would probably be immense. For example, people used to fear cars, the rich did not want to give up slaves, men did not want women voting, people refused to believe the Earth revolved around the sun, etc. Even today you'll even find groups that refuse to believe scientific evidence or are resistant to change.

I do find these dramas fun though but I don't know if I would ever want to travel too far back into the past unless I am a person of means. :)