I've been thinking about something for a while and thought about posting because y'all may have a different pov. [I posted this first on feeds, but I think it's more suitable to forums]

I watch mostly Chinese dramas and 90% of the time there's a cold rich male lead. I'm not complaining, I particularly love this narrative, but I was thinking about how EASY and somewhat frustrating it is to be a prestigious actor in China.

Like Zhou Yiran for example, he was a supporting character in Falling Into Your Smile and he portrayed a funny, quirky, and energetic boy. But since his career took off and he got lead roles, like in When I Fly Towards You and You Are My Desire, he plays the same character: a cold cool guy who gets soft around the female lead (at some point).

It must be so frustrating for actors not to be able to prove themselves because, eventually, when they reach a level of success, they don't need to do anything other than an unexpressive face and some hidden smiles when around the FL. That's such a poor use of talented actors. Maybe that's why most of them focus on historical or medical dramas; they are taken more seriously.

And even though it is "easy" (not undervaluing the actors, just pointing out that it gets easier since it's the same execution over and over again) and repetitive, male leads are often praised by the audience (women mostly), while the female leads are DESTROYED by the netizens. I'm not stating this as a fact, but my personal experience as someone who actively consumes Chinese content.

Turning on Timed comments on Viki is absurd. The amount of hate female leads get is ridiculous, mainly because they are the ones who are challenged (even tho the leads are normally funny and positive, they often are wronged or assaulted, demanding good acting skills), while the handsome male leads get praise for what they always do: look fierce. "Oh, but the FL was annoying", "Oh, but she was stupid", "Oh, she is strong but she didn't have to be rude to ML". IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING.

I don't wanna get too deep on this subject and I'm not blaming the actors, especially Zhou Yiran, I love his work and I know he is very talented, this is more towards writers and the audience.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I think about this every time I turn on Viki's timed comments and when I see a known actor portraying the same character over and over again. Feels boring.

SORRY, I DIDN'T MEAN FOR THIS TO BE SO LONG, I WAS JUST VENTING!!!aaaa

What do you think about it?

It's long struck me as ineresting that the word for this character type comes from Japanese, given its universality across East Asian Dramas. For a C-Drama whose ML is NOT tsundere, I would recommend 

Mr. Fighting

There's also Divorce Lawyers, for a less formulaic ML  

And if you want to stick with Mandarin language Dramas but are prepared to cross the straits, there are sveral excellent TW Dramas that feature MLs  not even remotely tsundere

I'm watching You Are Desire right now and I've actually been impressed with the ML, having never seen him in anything before. I feel like he's a different kind of actor than others, and I've loved watching his expressions and body movements. He's pretty young yet and I think he's got a bright future ahead of him.

I've really loved You Are Desire so far (on ep. 24) because it's seemed more realistic than most (other than the horrible, atrocious mother and stupid father.) A general lack of tropes has made it pretty enjoyable for me. I've been on a C-drama binge lately and this has been one of my favorites. It feels like it's happening in a regular ordinary city, and not in some glitzy glittery overly-rich setting somewhere. Just goes to show that we all have different tastes and preferences.

Luo Yun Xi, in my opinion, is among the A-list of multifaceted actors who can take on a range of roles, as well as Leo Wu and Jing Bo Ran. I have more favorites but these actors feel like they have something extra on their peers. 

We are always in need of well-written dramas where characters are fleshed-out humans. 

As to your comments about the comments on Viki about female characters but not the men, I have one word that describes this phenomenon: misogyny (and in this case it's internalized misogyny.)

I've started You Are Desire but haven't finished. I used Zhou Yiran's example because my first impression of him was as a quirky and funny character, and since his career took off he moved into the cold male lead personality, but I absolutely agree with you, he's a different type of actor, I feel like he's more natural and even though his characters follow the same formula, they still feel different. His character in You Are Desire is not PLAIN and COLD or just a boring resting face, he has depth and ZYR has some expression that adds to it. I believe he is currently my favorite Chinese actor.

I haven't seen many Luo Yun Xi, Leo Wu, and Jing Bo Ran, so I'll make sure to look for them, thank you for your suggestion.

And yes, it is internalized misogyny, and it's quite sad that women don't support the actresses the same way they support the actors, and to be honest, they even are demonized and dragged like what happened with Wang Churan during Fireworks of My Heart (c-netizens even tried to cancel her next jobs and sponsorships, it was absurd), which is really sad because her acting skills were GREAT, while Yang Yang was praised and their acting skills were in the same level.

a cold cool guy who gets soft around the female lead (at some point).

Yeah, I totally agree with you. that’s why I love the drama joy of life so much.  the  male lead treated women equally, shameless, funny and smart  as well. You should check it out, the 9.0 rating isnt joking