1st Challenge | 2nd Challenge | 3rd Challenge | 4th Challenge:

Hi again ElBee,  
I hope you don't mind another recommendation from me but first, I am so glad you enjoyed my last recommendation! I saw your post and was so close to messaging you so I could discuss it with you further but realized that I am probably the only one who geeks out watching shows and could write reviews based on characters.

Anyway,  it is a lot easier for me to see your completed list and recommend a show for you haha. I must admit that even that made it difficult for me to choose because there were some shows I loved and there was a mixture of rates from you on them, so the following recommendation could be a hit or miss for you. It is a Filipino series called, Like in the Movies.  When I first watched this show I had very low expectations so I was amazed at how engrossed I was by episode 2 and I am also just a sucker for shows like these. If I keep recommending you shows you may start spotting a pattern. For easier access, I have provided the ANIMA Studios YouTube Playlist Link so you can watch the episodes there. P.S. The playlist with the episodes is mostly in order except for episode 8, which is in the playlist but just added toward the end-ish so have to scroll a bit for the last episode. Enjoy. 

ANIMA Studios on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMPz9QG8YAxJXvznmCorwY7N5ausnteMN 

Once again I am open to recommendations and as always no horror, please. My PTW are suggestions you can look at but feel free to recommend something you feel I may like. However, I would tread lightly when it comes to longer shows more than 16 episodes cause my ADHD brain loses focus haha.

I accept solana's recommendation for My School President. I have ONE friend that has been telling me to watch it for a year and now that you mentioned it-- might as well give it a shot.

Started: 1.14.24
Finished
: 1.15.24

Rate: 

I loved it. [will write more later, currently at work & yes, I finished it at work. I was hooked.

I recommend jenn to watch Death's Game or My School President. I saw both series on your PTW list, and I think you might enjoy them. I recommended two because, based on your comment, you don't like horror, so I don't know if you'll like a series with a thriller genre (death's game), so I recommended another, which is a lighter series.

Open for recommendations! You can choose any series from my PTW list, or you can just recommend anything. I'm slow with watching longer series, so if possible, please recommend a short-length one.

I accept SelmaS's recommendation to watch We Best Love. The series looks interesting, and I am starting to watch Taiwanese dramas these days, so this is a good opportunity. Thanks for the rec!

I started watching it in January but couldn't continue it as I thought it would be boring because of how it was started, but as it turned out, it's actually a really good series. I watched both seasons, as you mentioned, and really liked all the characters and how this was written. I found a new drama I love, thanks to you, Selma!

1st challenge

Hi solana !

I looked through your PTW list (pretty profile page, by the way!) and found this little treasure of mine, my comfort watch so I hope you'll like it too! 

We Best Love is a Taiwanese BL which has two versions. I suggest you watch the special edition version (the one I linked above): it is the original version re-edited with special episodes added in the new edit. This version is much better than the original you have in your PTW list. I recommend you watch both seasons since they are short and the first season end on a kind of cliffhanger!

My first challenge this year, One Day Off was a nice, calming and introspection inviting watch. 8/10

So I am ready for my next challenge! Anything goes except for horror: so no zombies, killer viruses, gore and ends of the world, please. Thrillers are ok, monsters are not!

EDIT: Challenge accepted, Tanii! I rarely watch long c dramas, only short historicals! This will be my 6th ever full length one! Thank you for recommending a shorter long drama! Looking forward to discovering a new world! Nice & easy!

EDIT 2 Well I finished Under the Skin and it was an interesting watch: a police procedural reminding me of many western shows (like Numbers or Castle) though the policemen here were all kind and polite and competent and nice and smart.... The drawings were pretty (especially when you see them in the last scene!). 8/10 Thank you Tanii!

1st Challenge completed! Thank you for the rec.

I recommend SelmaS to watch Under the Skin. I had a hard time picking since your list is so extensive, but since you mentioned above that thrillers are okay so that's what I picked.

image link

I accept ElBee's challenge to watch Mother.

Honestly, at first I was skeptical if this would be something that I would be able to get through because I didn't think it would be a good watch. I even contemplated asking you for another rec instead, but I'm glad I started it on a whim, because going through the whole "asking for another recommendation" seemed so tedious to already tired me. 

Thank you so much for this recommendation! I totally cried while watching it. 

2nd challenge completed!

For TaniiI deliberated a lot on your ratings and the kinds of stories you have gravitated toward and am going to recommend 2018 Korean drama Mother. You haven’t shied away from stories that have some hard topics that could trigger others, and seeing your ratings for some others with shared qualities, I think maybe it will be your kind of drama. The young girl in it was completely mesmerizing to me and had my heart tugged sincerely-it is somewhat understated at times, but its realism was powerful and moving for me.

**I am so glad you liked it! It is one of my all time top dramas, so I only recommend it when I feel like it lines up with someone’s taste well. I am especially glad that you ignored its lack of upfront appeal and took it on… not sorry I made you cry cause I remember how they were totally worth making a mess of my face even if my colleagues worried my cat died because I sure resembled someone in deep grief for some episodes, happy and sad alike. :)

Open for recs! No dubbing is my only requirement. My completed list is how to figure out my taste, PTW a big mess of “check this sometime” titles that someday I need to clean up.?

I accept jenn’s recommendation for Rinko-san wa Shite Mitai

Status: Complete, my rating 8/10 for this one! The criticism first: If the leads had been typical jdrama ones, I would have admittedly given this a lower sore; this felt like a throwback to the early 2000s as far as story goes, and it was quite predictable and felt underdeveloped… that said, the praise goes to the writer actually giving a female lead who is believable-actually strong but with realistic non-trivial vulnerabilities they let us see-and the FL in particular carrying the performance through pretty much exactly how I would envision the best possible execution of this particular script given its brevity. It can’t get full marks because I’ve seen films that felt more “filling” in even less time than this, but it was undeniably adorable, completely so, and her vulnerability when together and his “let me pretend to be unphased afterward with his cigarette was beautiful even if some bits made me cringe slightly if only because eep it is relatable (well, not the being 27 and a virgin part, just the first time nerves part and anxious embarrassed state even as it was over.

Thanks for another great rec! My turn? ?

1st Challenge | 2nd Challenge | 3rd Challenge | 4th Challenge | 5th Challenge:

Third time the charm  ElBee,  

It seems like I am your recommender once again! I agree with your commentary regarding Like In the Movies, I feel like they did a good job in executing certain messages without fetishizing same-sex couples, which seems to be a common theme in a lot of BLs. You have watched so many dramas that its getting difficult to recommend lol. Anyway, after searching your completed list and seeing your rates I recommend Rinko-san wa Shite Mitai. I think you might enjoy it. I liked it because the FL has two sides to her which is a bit refreshing. It's a short cute drama. I can only hope you enjoy it and my streak in giving you satisfactory recs does not go down with this rec. I am trying to expand your horizons in certain countries haha.

P.S. I still need to respond to you but no worries- I shall do that later tonight.

Once again I am open to recommendations and as always no horror, please. My PTW are suggestions you can look at but feel free to recommend something you feel I may like.

xBBBLUE I accept your rec for Move to Heaven. I have been trying to find the willpower to watch it cause it just looks so sad and I don't want to be emotionally unstable after LOL. Perfect timing too because I was struggling to pick my next show.

Started:1.17.34
Finished: 1.17.24

Rate: 9.5
I absolutely loved it! I was crying from episode 1 and love the character development especially from the uncle. I loved seeing how a person had their way of teaching, not only the main lead, but the uncle important life lessons. "it's moving" is an understatement because this had my emotions all over the place. The only reason I did not give it a 10 is because of the ending. I kinda wanted it to be wrapped up nicely but it felt like they left it open-ended to maybe start a S2. I think this is a good show that only needs one season and they should have just ended it there.

1st challenge

I recommend jenn to watch Move to Heaven.

It's one of my favourite dramas. It's really moving. I considered your completed list, ptw list and your must-watch dramas. I think you might like this one.

I'm open to anything you think I might like, except horror.

I accept Sugar Crown's recommendation to watch A Familiar Stranger.

I'm glad you recommended this drama to me because it was so good. I binge-watched it. Scenography, costumes, chemistry between the characters... everything was almost perfect. I know it's because it's a short drama, but I wish the plots were a little more developed.

2nd challenge

Hi  xBBBLUE

I took the liberty of looking through your lists and our tastes do not match very much! LOL On the other hand I saw that you, just like me,  have not watched many chinese dramas. Therefore I would like to recommend a short c drama, arguably one of the best: A Familiar Stranger. You can watch it on viki where the subs are ok and they edited it into 6 longer, 30min episodes. It is a quick and a fun watch!

So, I have finished my second challenge, Under The Skin a chinese police procedural which featured some interesting cases and a fascinating character of a painter one reviewer nicknamed Sherlock Sigmund Da Vinci. Very accurate! 8/10

Ready for my next challenge! And just like the others, no horror (that seems to be a main requirement here! LOL),  no gore, no zombies, no killer viruses please!

EDIT Sorry for the confusing lists: I organized them differently. I've actually completed everything on those three lists. So I already finished and loved immensely The Warp Effect but not Oh My Ghost! Thank you, I love ghost stories since they are usually not really scary!

EDIT 2: 6/10

And I am feeling generous. 

Sorry jenn but they made a mess of a perfectly good idea. The acting was stellar, the jazzy music in the first half perfect but the writing was a disaster. The characters are and stay unlikeable (the exception being the kitchen three) and the worst is the sleezy harasser of the sous chef (he's creeping me out!Every time he came on the screen, I needed to pause and go see something else for a few minutes!), the story is highly predictable (the bad guy was obvious in ep 3), the main couple has zero chemistry. This drama did not age well! I wanted to give it 3 but the all the actors really did a great job!

1st Challenge | 2nd Challenge | 3rd Challenge | 4th Challenge 5th Challenge | 6th Challenge: 

Hi SelmaS,

I went through your watchlist and was confused a bit because some shows are on your "On Hold" and "Dropped" but they are completed, so I was unsure if you watched them or not since your "Completed" list showed fewer numbers of shows so I couldn't figure out what you watched or not.

So I recommend Oh My Ghost (2015) , it's not really horror since I am not a fan of those either but it's a supernatural comedy kinda show (so as long as you are comfortable with ghosts) it should be alright. However, if you are really against it then I recommend The Warp Effect. I enjoyed this one a lot mostly because I think they did a good job in discussing certain things in a very light manner. [I will post a photo once you pick your show]

Once again I am open to recommendations and as always no horror, please. My PTW are suggestions you can look at but feel free to recommend something you feel I may like.

ElBee! I accept your rec to watch  Tell Me That You Love Me. I am excited to watch this drama because I have been thinking of starting the J drama adaption of this but just forget so I guess I'll start with the K drama instead. I was reading the synopsis and I just hope it does not pull too much of my heartstrings because I don't want to be a crying mess. 

Started: 1.18.24
Finished: 1.19.24

Rate:
I enjoyed this drama. I loved how both, the ML and FL, had their internal struggles while navigating their relationship. I think it did such a good job with her forgetting that he is deaf and having those moments of realization that he lives in a silent world and the little daily things is done differently with him. For instance, in the grocery scene when she is talking and tries to show him something while he walks off on his own -- reminding her that communicating with him even in a simple manner requires a few more steps with them.  I also enjoyed Johan's character and I am disappointed we didn't get more of a follow-up with him but I loved how he remained a supportive friend despite his feelings for the FL. He cared and valued her and even when he would get a little excited at the idea of the FL breaking up with the ML, he knew the emotional toll it took on her and helped her through it all . 
One of the biggest reasons why I could not rate it higher is because I am not a huge fan of time skips and having the main characters somehow reunite ONCE and pick up their relationship again and walk off into the sunset despite NOT BEING IN EACH OTHER'S LIVES FOR A YEAR. I loved everything up to that point just cause idk I guess I wanted to see more of how they actually matured apart and then reunited versus "I see you." *bang starts dating again* Also, I feel like the breakup was necessary cause they were both aware that they were no longer happy due to the amount of secrets and them trying to not overstep, somehow. I loved the parents and how they were not the typical, YOU ARE RUINING YOUR LIFE, WE KNOW BETTER, ETC. and how they were supportive of her after communicating with one another. Also, I am trying to figure out what it was but somehow while watching it, I felt like something was missing. I am not sure if they attempted to create drama with the ex and the ex best friend, but I think they tried to make it more dramatic than it was by having this huge fire happen and then we never actually found out who was the one that caused and why so it just left a huge part of the story empty. Like we get and understand their emotions after once they talk about it but who was that stranger etc etc.

thank you for the recommendation! think it is my turn once again. *gosh this is getting hard, you have watched so much lol

Third challenge complete! 

Hi again, jenn! Finally my turn to give a rec again! I thought probably way too long about this and decided to give you a warm drama that is NOT primarily about anyone young, inexperienced, etc… instead, I am throwing you into the world of a deaf man who is carrying immense scars and a woman who  is changing careers in a way few would celebrate/find reasonable… it is, from what I can tell, nothing like anything you are watching (but at 16 eps is longer than your current streak of shows… I didn’t want to say bye to the characters, though)… a mix of adorable, warm, wounded, supportive, and conflict-stirring characters are in it, but even those who stir some conflict/trigger anxiety/uneasiness and insecurity felt both real and needed as healing needed to happen, same with two tropes toward the end that I won’t specify but that would, with other characters/storylines, typically annoy me quite a bit.

Oh, it happens to be an adaptation from a jdrama I haven’t seen and probably won’t because this one’s story makes me think I would not like it going any other way. :)

I recommend (and hope you can still…?) Tell Me That You Love Me  (after watching this drama?).
❤️

Open for recs! As always, no dubbing is my only requirement. My completed list is how to figure out my taste, PTW a big mess of “check this sometime” titles that someday I need to clean up.

My friend, my trend, my jenn again, I accept your recommendation for Yu Yu Hakusho! I will shoot you a line about TMTYLM since the incremental rollout of info had a piece of the fire info missed. :) 

Thoughts/rating: This is hard to rate… the action and CGI are great, and I really like a few of the characters (yokai who infiltrated a fertilized egg my favorite, the one crying ice tears one I wanted more of, the goofy psycho whose body shifted, split, etc. like a crazy uncle of Beetlejuice)… but they didn’t give much development to anyone except the pretty yokai who went from maroon to white/took a human form, so it was a bit hard to connect to anyone but him. Even the lead felt a little shallow. That said, it was still a very enjoyable quick watch, just way too short for how much they were cramming in. I couldn’t quite grasp why the villain wanted evil and good to be mixed so intensely, particularly why his solution to boredom was throwing humans and demons together to make total chaos… considering how it started with the driver getting taken over by one, the idea of millions just sounds absurd. What was there I liked, but it was almost entirely plot centric with minimal character development. For what it is, though, I’ll still give it an 8. The budding romance at the end probably, as dorky as he is and as cheesy as it was, made the score bump up that last bit. (Here I thought I might be recommending to Tanii… let’s see if someone else gives a rec while I catch up on my airing shows!)

6th Challenge | 7th Challenge:

Are we fated to be one another's recommender ElBee ?  hahaha. I recommend this short show Yu Yu Hakusho. It is a 5 episode drama of a manga. If you do not know the Manga you might enjoy it but if you have extensive knowledge of Yu Yu then I apologize cause die-hard fans did not like how it was basically shortened into 5 episodes rather than telling the whole story.  I picked this one because I recently watched it and when I was doing a side-by-side comparison of what you haven't seen, this was pretty much it. You have watched so much that pretty much my completed list is the same as yours with the slight difference that you have A LOT more completed than I. 

Sugar Crown, I accept your rec of watching Tsuiraku JK to Haijin Kyoshi - it will encourage me to actually start it.

Started: 1.20.24
Finished: 

Rate: 
Hear me out, I really liked the message the drama had and it had so many funny and cute moments. However, I just could not get over the fact that he is a high school teacher and she is a student. I tried and I would have given it a higher rating but it just kept bothering me the entire time which did not allow me to fully appreciate the story. I get that they save each other in a way and become each other's support while learning and opening up to each other but the teacher/student relationship continued to bother me despite my efforts to ignore it. It was a cute series and it found an interesting/cute way to convey such a heavy topic AND for that, I am giving it a 7

1st Challenge - 2nd Challenge - 3rd Challenge:

I see jenn has yet to watch Tsuiraku JK to Haijin Kyoshi aka 'Love Me Before You Die' and since there is no better time than the present I recommend you to watch it :) It's absurd but also surprisingly wholesome.

Open to recs. If possible a c-drama :) feel free to check out my custom lists for inspo

I accept dearuto‘s recommendation to watch New Life Begins ! - I hope this is not payback for my last rec to you :'D But I love pic you chose :)

Status: PTW (my cw is booked n busy rn but I‘m aiming for march!) -

March Update: I really tried but I cannot get into it at all ? I‘ll try again a little later because rn I‘m not into costume dramas.

1st Challenge for the year completed here

I recommend Sugar Crown  to watch New Life Begins! I wasn't sure what to recommend since you have watched so many already and I'm afraid this is something you wouldn't enjoy TT but! this is definitely a gem imo! I love the female empowerment and relationships in the drama... All characters are lovable (Yuanying TT) and I especially love the scenes of them having a meal together (very Chinese way of forming/building/maintaining relationships). I hope you will enjoy this!!

(sry I know it's not a drama ss but I love the behind the scene photos shared by the cast TT)

I also hope to be recommended a c-drama if possible :) 

I accept empires' recommendation to watch Switched! I havent found a j-drama I managed to get into so hopefully this is the one! :D

Bittersweet feeling as I watched the entire series... People always tend to judge others by their looks but thankfully there are also people in this world that will be able to accept you for 'you' TT 

a small TW(?) about this series for anyone who wants to give it a try: they replay the scene of someone unaliving many times (it was lowkey traumatising for me) so do take note of that! 

I'm excited to try this challenge out! Even if I haven't watched many dramas, I'd like to do this since I want to be an avid drama watcher :)

I recommend dearuto to watch Switched! I'm currently watching it right now and it seems pretty cool since it reflects pretty privilege and how people's attitude changes because of your looks. I noticed that you don't have any Jdramas on your list and I feel like this shall be a great start! (sorry for not recommending a cdrama, i noticed you've watched a lot so I don't know what to recommend ?)

Open to recommendations! I'd like a short drama, any countries :) which can easily be completed in 1 day and which is very addicting ^^

Accepted Tanii's recommendation to watch Better Days!
Rating: 8/10
Short review:
This movie was great! I liked the plot and the actors. If anyone is reading this and wants to watch the movie, just hear me out that there are multiple scenes of graphic violence and some of suicide and murder. Those really traumatized me lol. I guess this wasn't too much of a romance, rather I'd say this is more of a revenge movie. Definitely would rewatch to the most part.

1st Challenge | 2nd Challenge completed!

I recommend empires to watch Plus & Minus or Better Days

I chose two options very randomly as I can't tell much about preferences in shows from your drama list. Also, Plus & Minus is a BL, so I wanted to give you another option in case you don't watch BLs.

image link P&M | image link BD

i accept jenn's recommendation to watch Extraordinary Attorney Woo

I enjoyed it! Thank you for the rec!