I am genuinely confused why so many characters are shown drinking instant coffee in k-dramas? A lot of screen time  is given in quite a few dramas for characters to drink and mix instant coffee and describe how delicious it is.Right off my mind I remember there are long  scenes of main characters drinking instant coffee  in  Shopping King Louis  and  Last Empress . Is it a product placement? Or is this a Korean thing?Do Koreans really think instant coffee is that great that so much screen time is given to show people drink or make instant coffee?

Yes! I’m glad I’m not the only one. I really think its a product placement to promote the coffee brands etc. But they need to stop taking alot of screentime tho . Its exaggerated!! 

Hi!

As we all know, product placements are normal in dramas in general. Mix instant coffee however is one of the things South Korea has come up to on their own first. After it's discovery in 1976 it went world wide. So it's like their... pride? Just like Apple is for America! I hope that this helps you out a little bit. Have a nice day further ^-^

Instant coffe is S.K. pride?! lol I thought it would be something like Hyundai or Samsung but instant coffee? X-D ok

ShotaSidePart:

Instant coffe is S.K. pride?! lol I thought it would be something like Hyundai or Samsung but instant coffee? X-D ok

It's one of their prides.. I mean,  why wouldn't anyone be proud of it? Just like instant ramen. The person who made it became a millionair, so don't take it too light~

The ramen makes sense to me  because its a part of the modern culture.Because there are phrases  "You wanna eat ramen before you go " which is the equivalent of  "Netflix and Chill" based of it.But the instant coffee really puzzles me.I am not really sure whether that is part of the plot line itself  because it doesn't seem to contribute much to the story itself or if its a product placement or if the writer ran out of ideas for the story !! or  if Koreans in general love mixed coffee so much that they have to include it as part of their story line.

I bet that's just because South Koreans really do love their coffee. I don't have the data to back it up, though.