fiflydramalover:

N - Nirvana in Fire is a classic and def worth watching.

X - XX isn't a historical drama, but I think it's a generally well liked miniseries

Z - Zhang Gong Zhu Zai Shang is a silly miniseries that I enjoyed. 

Good luck with your challenge! 

Thanks for the suggestions, watched XX for the 2021 Challenge, looking for something new.

Rien:
 Also need some recommendations that start with the letters: J, N, V, X, Z

Is it only limited to dramas? No movies?

awkward potato:

Is it only limited to dramas? No movies?

I prefer dramas over movies, but any suggestion is appreciated.

Rien:

I prefer dramas over movies, but any suggestion is appreciated.

The letter 'X' is a bit tough since there's not many titles starting with that letter. It's a movie but it's not historical and it's based on a manga/anime. The movie is called xxxHOLiC

Well I got curious about titles starting with X. There are a few. Here’s a historical movie. Haven’t seen it, but it’s what I would choose.

https://mydramalist.com/19416-xuan-zang

Thanks for the suggestions, finding something for the X is hard so I probably will end up with a movie.

Rien:

Started watching Queen: Love And War (2019) because I need a title that starts with an Q for the Alphabet Challenge.  Also need some recommendations that start with the letters: J, N, V, X, Z

J - Joy of life (Haven't started it yet but it seems really interesting so I'm anticipating it)

Before August ends in about 10 days, let's not forget the Monthly Discussion Topic for August. Which historical drama's antagonist/villain would you be appreciating and why?

Antagonist August
Appreciating antagonists/villains

For me, Princess Agents' Yan Xun for July's Justice-Revenge topic is still relevant. While he became the drama's antagonist in the later half of the drama, it was the Emperor's fear, distrust and foolishness that resulted in the wrongful execution of Yan Xun's entire family, turning him from a sunny captive prince to a vengeful lord, who risked his people's lives and eventually threw away his feelings for the FL, to overthrow the Emperor. Shawn Dou aced the portrayal of Yan Xun, making him the drama’s antagonist many hate to love, and had me hoping he will turn good by the end of this series, and then hopefully again in the grand finale (in Season 2 if it ever happens).

Anyone got some less-romantic serious historicals or maybe a romantic-comedy with a somewhat believable plot that has aired recently?

I've been slowly working my way through Love Between Fairy and Devil and while it's okay, it's a bit heavy on the romance for me. And I get a lot of people like the stuff, sometimes I do too but I'm not feeling it right now. It's hard to put into words but I feel like Love Between the plot and story exists to facilitate the romance instead of the plot happens and while the various characters are working towards goals, some romance stories happen between main characters, side characters.

Knavery:

Anyone got some less-romantic serious historicals or maybe a romantic-comedy with a somewhat believable plot that has aired recently?

I've been slowly working my way through Love Between Fairy and Devil and while it's okay, it's a bit heavy on the romance for me. And I get a lot of people like the stuff. It's hard to put into words but I feel like Love Between the plot and story exists to facilitate the romance instead of the plot happens and while the various characters are working towards goals, some romance stories happen between main characters, side characters.

*edit* also adding "A Dream of Splendor"

How about the recently aired "Love like the Galaxy" or "Heroes".   Though they have romance, there are a lot more other things going on.

Knavery:

I've been slowly working my way through Love Between Fairy and Devil and while it's okay, it's a bit heavy on the romance for me. And I get a lot of people like the stuff, sometimes I do too but I'm not feeling it right now. It's hard to put into words but I feel like Love Between the plot and story exists to facilitate the romance instead of the plot happens and while the various characters are working towards goals, some romance stories happen between main characters, side characters.

"Bloody Heart" and "The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won" for sageuk. ;)

kYuBin:

"Bloody Heart" and "The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won" for sageuk. ;)

Oh.. I forgot about "Bloody Heart".  I keep on wanting to watch it but because it's no Disney+, I waited since I don't have a subscription.  I didn't want to go the 'other' route to watch it.

A few other dramas I thought of all aired in 2022.

1. The Red Sleeve

2. Wind Blows from Longxi (minimal romance)

3. LuoYang

4. Who Rules the World

Everyone I think I should join this club, I lovveeee Historical dramas, my first and favourite Historical drama would be Mr. Queen. And since anything that has a historical setting is counted, I would say my recent favourite would be Alchemy of Souls.

Knavery:

oooh what an interesting request. You're definitly in the right genre. Historical dramas have a long history of neglecting romance >:) but unfortunately, a lot of the good stuff I know of is older 

1. Queen Seon Deok - a political drama about one of the only female kings in Korea, how she was flung from the palace, joined the army, and eventually returned to claim power amongst a deadly court in a changing time. 
  2. Arthdal Chronicles - there are some love lines, but they definitely take backseat to the plot. This is a fantasy/political drama about fate. Surprisingly, not in the romance way as the trope usually goes (beware: it is a multi season show and only the first season is out)
  3. Seven Samurai - this is a movie (like four hours long) not a drama, but it is a CLASSIC. There is one love line that isn't that important. It's mostly about samurai, war, and the spirit of the Bushido code during the Roaring States Period. Def worth a watch.

Oh no... August is coming to an end soon and no one else has antagonist/villain from any historical drama that is worth appreciating?? Or is there really a lack of such noteworthy antagonist/villain from historical drama compared to contemporary / modern dramas??