Yay, we're back again! Thank you for your hard work in restoring the portal. Otsukare..

Anyway, back to the thread, yesterday I rewatched Japanese drama First Kiss (one of my most favorite ever- but I haven't seen in a while), and I was of course amazed with Yuki- sensei (I just like his character so much), I mean he is such a good guy, so considarate, reasonable and always acting according to his will, doesn't let others influence his judgement. So I started wondering if there are more dramas with good guys as leads, so I'm looking for your recommendation. So what do you think? Are there any good guys in dramas deserving recognition? I know we started a little on this subject in Second Lead Syndrome, but I wanted to develop it more.
The character Bae Soo Bin portrayed in Shining Inheritance. He was a gorgeous angel. And he is second only to...Yoon Pil Joo from Greatest Love, for second male lead "nice guys" who really probably should have gotten the girl and who I personally was really torn about. I usually am not a second lead syndrome girl. But these two deserve recognition for being such good guys. I loved them.

Also, for a perfect male lead who deserved the girl and got her I'd pick Cha Dong Joo from Can You Hear My Heart. And I'm not going to spoil it but Han Kang from 49 Days was a Nice Guy and Male Lead as well.
I can think of many, really. True, my idea of good has more to do with strengh of character than kindness. I'm attracted to characters who DO the right things, before saying the right thing. But most of all, I love characters who stand up for their convinctions.
This said:

♥Hiroto from Tatta Hitotsu No Koi probably tops my list of the kind of guy I would have liked to meet myself.
♥Kai from Orange Days is just the right mixture of sweetness, candour and friendliness one can't help but be drawn to.
♥Tae Woong from The Snow Queen. Yes, I know, I may be "a little" biased in favour of Hyun Bin, but I dare anyone not falling for this character.
♥Chen Ling from MARS. Not your average "angel", but one carring a heavy burden. Yet he is wonderful, craziness included.
♥Ryosuke from Tokyo Wankei. The kind of silent, deep and strong guy who would protect you from harm at any cost.
♥Kang Ji Wook from Scent of a Woman. Although he starts off as indifferent to life in general, he soon becomes one of the bravest character I can think of.
How about Takano Seiichi (BUCHOU!!!!) from Hotaru no Hikari? He always came across as a really nice guy, I totally fell for him. :)
amrita828 wrote:
Kang Ji Wook from Scent of a Woman. Although he starts off as indifferent to life in general, he soon becomes one of the bravest character I can think of.

I started watching scent of a woman, but I could watch her not tell him, when it looks like she dies in the end, my heart couldn't take the expected grief and I stopped watching. Does she tell him? Will I end up crying buckets? Should I pick it up again?? :s
abs wrote: I started watching scent of a woman, but I could watch her not tell him, when it looks like she dies in the end, my heart couldn't take the expected grief and I stopped watching. Does she tell him? Will I end up crying buckets? Should I pick it up again?? :s

I think you should watch it. Will she tell him? He will know soon enough, don't worry.
Will you cry? Yes. There's no escaping the tears, I'm afraid. But I strongly believe this story is worth the effort and it can even surprise you in more than one respect.
Scent of a Woman is definitely a very emotional ride, but soooo beautiful!

:D
amrita828 wrote: I think you should watch it. Will she tell him? He will know soon enough, don't worry.
Will you cry? Yes. There's no escaping the tears, I'm afraid. But I strongly believe this story is worth the effort and it can even surprise you in more than one respect.
Scent of a Woman is definitely a very emotional ride, but soooo beautiful!

:D

Lovely description while not spoiling abs Rita... Abs, please go back and continue Scent of A Woman. I promise, you will not regret it. You don't know me...but trust me..and Rita. Believe me, if Rita likes it you can probably bet on it being good. You may not always agree but she doesn't dole out praise willy nilly.
@jeanie: why, thank you! :D I think you're giving me too much credit though. I try to be unbiased, but I fail. There's always a certain something in the dramas I fall in love with, which is very subjective and I can't explain even if I wished to.
But we certainly agree on Scent of Woman being a worthy watch. I'll definitely rewatch it in the future, perhaps after a good dose of healthy laughter. ;)
amrita828 wrote:
♥Hiroto from Tatta Hitotsu No Koi probably tops my list of the kind of guy I would have liked to meet myself.
♥Chen Ling from MARS. Not your average "angel", but one carring a heavy burden. Yet he is wonderful, craziness included.

I haven't seen any of the other you mentioned, but I have to completely agree with you one these two choices haha. Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, I think was my first completed jadrama and what made me fell in love with jadramas and want to watch more. Hiroto is just every woman's dream. :)

I would have to add, to the list of good guys:
Yamada Shota from Zenkai Girl. This was such a nice guy, really nice. I haven't met men like him in my lifetime. lol
NinaJade82 wrote: I haven't seen any of the other you mentioned, but I have to completely agree with you one these two choices haha. Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, I think was my first completed jadrama and what made me fell in love with jadramas and want to watch more. Hiroto is just every woman's dream. :)

Agreed! I think it's impossible to be indifferent to Hiroto - hot actor aside (yes, I'm a Kame fangirl. Sue me ;)). I think I fell for him when he stood by that aquarium, with one of the most beautiful music pieces ever in the background...

I would have to add, to the list of good guys:
Yamada Shota from Zenkai Girl. This was such a nice guy, really nice. I haven't met men like him in my lifetime. lol

Again, agreed. Perhaps, he was even a little TOO good.
NinaJade82 wrote:

I need to start watching this one, everybody writes it's so good it must be true.
from what i've seen on jdramas good guys don't usually get the lead in jdramas.

the few that i've seen that has a good guy in the lead

buzzer beat. yamapi's character is the good guy who tries to be the man that his no good girlfriend wants him to be but he's too good natured which is a problem for her.

proposal daisakusen let me 1st say i hated this drama. lol. but yamapi's character is the nice guy with a small group of friends who has been in love with his oldest female friend since they were in high school but he never had the guts to confess. at her wedding he is granted the opportunity to go back in time to the moments they shared in photographs so that he can get a 2nd chance to have the life he wants with her. but it's not as easy to change as he would like it to be. this drama was frustrating, yamapi's character was so indecisive because he was always considering everyone else's feelings. the lead female was annoying and not worth all the trouble he was going thru...imo. *shrug* but it does fit the nice guy label so there u go.

kingyo club. a drama that recently ended about a high school senpai who witnesses a female kouhai being bullied so he allows her to hang out with him in his fortress of solitude (shed at the back of the school), they bond over gold fish and he develops the need to protect her as their feeling for each other progress. the rel'p bw the leads is really sweet. the drama balances the awful bullying with this growing romantic rel'p and both characters grow and develop in the process.

zenkai girl. i agree with what was said about sota, in fact he was too nice for the lead character. i wanted to see him stand up for himself and put her in place. but that said it's a really good drama. very original.
Thanks Boutux, I'll check kingyo club, haven't seen it yet.

I actually liked Proposal Daisakusen, but the truth is, that it only make sense when you watch it for the second time, because you know what will happen later and you see that everything leads to it. First time I've watched it was a pain, I was like "oh... just say it already" and endured it just for Yamapi's sake, I was really glad that I did though, and it later became one of my favorites and the special was great. But I totally get why some people can't stand this drama.

On a side note, if you like the idea of this drama (going back in time to fix things) but can't stand the dragging plot, I highly recommend you to watch a Korean movie Project Makeover -it's totally lovable.
boutux wrote:
proposal daisakusen let me 1st say i hated this drama. lol. but yamapi's character is the nice guy with a small group of friends who has been in love with his oldest female friend since they were in high school but he never had the guts to confess. at her wedding he is granted the opportunity to go back in time to the moments they shared in photographs so that he can get a 2nd chance to have the life he wants with her. but it's not as easy to change as he would like it to be. this drama was frustrating, yamapi's character was so indecisive because he was always considering everyone else's feelings. the lead female was annoying and not worth all the trouble he was going thru...imo. *shrug* but it does fit the nice guy label so there u go.

Elisabetta wrote: Thanks Boutux, I'll check kingyo club, haven't seen it yet.

I actually liked Proposal Daisakusen, but the truth is, that it only make sense when you watch it for the second time, because you know what will happen later and you see that everything leads to it. First time I've watched it was a pain, I was like "oh... just say it already" and endured it just for Yamapi's sake, I was really glad that I did though, and it later became one of my favorites and the special was great. But I totally get why some people can't stand this drama.

On a side note, if you like the idea of this drama (going back in time to fix things) but can't stand the dragging plot, I highly recommend you to watch a Korean movie Project Makeover -it's totally lovable.

Very interesting exchange of opinion. I have always been somehow in between love and hate for this drama. I loved it because it didn't progress the way I expected it to, and I found it frustrating for the same reasons voiced by boutux . I never thought about rewatching it a second time, but I now agree with Elisabetta: once we know the outcome, every small step Yamapi's character takes, which at the beginning seem too slow and hesitant, make sense.
Not that I needed another plan-to-rewatch drama to add to my long list, LOL. ;)
yeah i'm not so sure i could tolerate rewatching this drama. there were many times i wanted to quit but like amarita i stuck thru it cuz of yamapi. my main gripe was the female lead. i'd say my 2nd most hated lead female character only coming in 2nd to wakaba from zenkai girl. i mean i could get why yamapi's character was indecisive, he was always worried about everyone else in the group but this girl also liked him back and wanted him to do all the work and even as he did all that he did for her all she did was complain and put him down. so i get what u guys mean by it being better cuz u already know how it would play out but i swear i'd be cursing at my computer every time that girl was mean to yamapi's character.