SunshineMar:

If anyone still wants to complete the 2023 in BL Questionnaire, it’s on page 487! 

If you haven't, you should. It's fun - and also a nice way to think back on your favourite BLs this year.

p43425:
We all have different tastes and opinions - that's totally normal and fine! One of the things I especially like about this group is that we're all generally respectful of this.

Yeah, that is one of the things I love most about this club. I can say some of the most unpopular things and not get attacked for it. I like that persons are more interested in the reasoning behind my opinion. Now that is a healthy club.

I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN THIS CLUB PLEASE

1. What was your favorite BL/s? Last Twilight, The Sign, IFYLITA, Cooking Crush, Cherry Magic, Laws Of Attraction, Kiseki- Dear to Me and My School President

2. What was your least favorite BL/s?  Middleman's Love

3. What was your favorite main couple/s of the year? MhokDay, TenPrem, KaranAshi, PhayaTharn, TinnGun, YaiJom, TinnCharn and ZongyiZeRui

4. What was your least favorite main couple/s of the year? MaiJade

5. What was your favorite side couple/s? FirefyDy

6. What was your least favorite side couple/s? Cannot think of one right now 😂

7. What was your favorite character/s? To many lol 😆

8. What was your least favorite character/s? I have a few but cannot think of the names at the moment🤣💀

9. What was your favorite kiss or kisses this year? Last Twilight- beach kiss, IFYLITA- rain kiss, and MSP- bed kiss

10. What was your favorite love scene/s this year? There was quite a few lol

11. Which had your favorite story/screenwriting? Last Twilight and IFYLITA

12. Which had the best cinematography for you? Last Twilight

13. Which had the best music? Last Twilight and My School President

14. Which made you cry the most? Last Twilight and IFYLITA

15. Which made you laugh the most? Cooking Crush has been pretty funny so far 🤣

16. Name a memorable scene from this year? When Mhok and Day became boyfriends

17. Name a “WTF” moment that stood out to you? A ton of scenes in OF

18. Name a show/s that seemingly everyone loved that you just couldn’t get into? Cannot think of one at the moment

19. Name a show/s that you thought would be bad but it ended up surprisingly being good and vice versa? My School Presdent and for the vice versa Dangerous Romance

20. Name a hidden gem or underrated show/s that you loved?  Stay With Me

1. What was your favorite BL/s?     -Last Twilight,  Kiseki Dear to Me  ,Laws Of Attraction

2. What was your least favorite BL/s?   -Playboyy, Middleman's Love, Crazy Handsome Rich ,Naughty Babe

3. What was your favorite main couple/s of the year?    -MhokDay,  ZongyiZeRu, KaranAchi

4. What was your least favorite main couple/s of the year? - MaiJade

5. What was your favorite side couple/s?   -AlanJeff, NightPhojai

6. What was your least favorite side couple/s?  -idk

7. What was your favorite character/s?   -Babe of Pitbabe,  Charn of Laws of attraction, Mhok of LT and Karan of Cherry magic

8. What was your least favorite character/s?  -Jade (middleman's love) / August (LT) , probably some other characters too

9. What was your favorite kiss or kisses this year? -last twilight

10. What was your favorite love scene/s this year? -only friends ,the end of the world with you and pit babe

11. Which had your favorite story/screenwriting? -last twilight and i feel you linger in the air

12. Which had the best cinematography for you? -last twilight

13. Which had the best music?  -Last twilight, the end of the world with you

14. Which made you cry the most? -last twilight , i feel you linger in the air ,only friends, one room angel

15. Which made you laugh the most? - Nawin of Laws Of Attraction lol

16. Name a memorable scene from this year? -the first kissing scene of last twilight, last twilight   Mhok and Cherry magic Karan  being so sweet >////<

17. Name a “WTF” moment that stood out to you?  -few of only friends scenes lol

18. Name a show/s that seemingly everyone loved that you just couldn’t get into? -lol a lot of them  😂

19. Name a show/s that you thought would be bad but it ended up surprisingly being good and vice versa?

thought would be good but it ended up surprisingly bad:  - playboyy , Dangerous Romance

20. Name a hidden gem or underrated show/s that you loved?  -a shoulder to cry on, stay by my side, stay still

For what it's worth, here are the 2023 Top Ten as ranked by the "Thai BL" Youtube channel, based on the reviewer's “enjoyment” (especially plot and chemistry):

1. “I Feel You Linger In The Air”
2. “My School President”
3. “Moonlight Chicken”
4. “Stay With Me”
5. “Be My Favorite”
6. “Bokura no Shokutaku” (“Our Dining Table”)
7. “Laws of Attraction”
8. “Eighth Sense”
9. “Only Friends”
10. “Our Dating Sim”

The ranking excludes BLs not yet finished airing, but the reviewer gives “special mention” to “Last Twilight” and “The Sign”. In this sense, it's also consistent to include MSP, even though it started airing in 2022.

p43425 thanks for the summary of the video. When I saw the title I assumed that by 'My ranking' they mean it's their personal ranking of the series, so it's not the case? 

Also, I'm surprised to see Stay With Me (which I haven't watched ) on this list. Is it even a BL? isn't it a censored adaptation?  

Mitzi Miao:
p43425 thanks for the summary of the video. When I saw the title I assumed that by 'My ranking' they mean it's their personal ranking of the series, so it's not the case? 

Yes, it's the personal ranking of the channel owner (reviewer).

Mitzi Miao:
Also, I'm surprised to see Stay With Me (which I haven't watched ) on this list. Is it even a BL? isn't it a censored adaptation?  

Here's the review I wrote on Viki:

It's ironic that one of the best BLs of the year is from Mainland China. Needless to say, there are no steamy scenes, and some might argue that it's more bromance with BL overtones than real BL - but I don't have a problem with this.

Good is good - and this series is so much more than good. It gets everything right. It doesn't feel censored. The production quality and cinematography, the story construction and script, the casting and acting, the emotional ups and downs, the execution ... it's pretty close to perfect.

Although there are plenty of funny moments, this is mostly a serious series, with plenty of family drama, jealousy and manipulation, sadness and tragedy, as well as sociosocietal themes, especially the gap (or not) between rich and poor and the contrast between the happiness of the poor but love-filled household vs. the emotional and moral emptiness of the rich one.

The protagonists, Su Yu and Wu Bi, are so engaging and attractive, and the development of the powerful bond between them is so well written and acted. Some of the supporting roles are also really well done, especially the constructive family (i.e. Su Yu and Wu Bi plus Su Yi's dad, Mrs. Zhao and the adorable Duoduo - such delightful characters!).

I can't wait for Season 2 !!!. 

+++

Sadly, it seems now that Season 2 won't ever happen. :-(

p43425 thanks for the answer ^^

Isn't it another version of Addicted? I've seen the 2016 version and wasn't a big fan. I'm not a fan of bromance as well. Also, I feel like the love those Chinese censored adaptations get (not only this one, but also others) is in a way problematic, as it's like people rewarding and praising their censorship (not to say those people actually agree with it). Of course people are free to like whatever they want and I'm aware that those series might be really well made and good series. I just think they shouldn't be part of any BL list because for me it's like saying what China is doing is fine and that's we are ok with it.  This is my personal opinion on the matter, so hope it doesn't sound like an attack or something against whoever love this series or other series like it. 

Mitzi Miao:
Isn't it another version of Addicted?

Yes - although I've not seen it myself, so I can't compare OK, maybe "Stay With Me" isn't for you - but I will just say that I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. (PS: No worries on having different tastes and opinions. Totally fine.)

p43425:
Yes - although I've not seen it myself, so I can't compare OK, maybe "Stay With Me" isn't for you - but I will just say that I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.

I've seen great reviews about it, so I believe it's a good series. If I got it right, the 2016 Addicted started the censorship. Not sure even if to rec it or not, it doesn't really have an ending (hope it's not considered a spoiler to say so). I can't compare it to this series, but I remember the buzz that was around it, many people loved it. 

p43425:
Sadly, it seems now that Season 2 won't ever happen. :-(

WHAT?!?  More details please!

Mitzi Miao:

p43425 thanks for the answer ^^

Isn't it another version of Addicted? I've seen the 2016 version and wasn't a big fan. I'm not a fan of bromance as well. Also, I feel like the love those Chinese censored adaptations get (not only this one, but also others) is in a way problematic, as it's like people rewarding and praising their censorship (not to say those people actually agree with it). Of course people are free to like whatever they want and I'm aware that those series might be really well made and good series. I just think they shouldn't be part of any BL list because for me it's like saying what China is doing is fine and that's we are ok with it.  This is my personal opinion on the matter, so hope it doesn't sound like an attack or something against whoever love this series or other series like it. 

I hadn't thought about like this, but you make a valid point.  

p43425:
For what it's worth, here are the 2023 Top Ten as ranked by the "Thai BL" Youtube channel, based on the reviewer's “enjoyment” (especially plot and chemistry):

1. “I Feel You Linger In The Air”
2. “My School President”
3. “Moonlight Chicken”
4. “Stay With Me”
5. “Be My Favorite”
6. “Bokura no Shokutaku” (“Our Dining Table”)
7. “Laws of Attraction”
8. “Eighth Sense”
9. “Only Friends”
10. “Our Dating Sim”

Interesting.  I like less than half of the titles listed: "Stay With Me",  "The Eighth Sense", "Our Dining Table" and  "Our Dating Sim" in that order. 

Mitzi Miao:
they shouldn't be part of any BL list because for me it's like saying what China is doing is fine and that's we are ok with it.

I disagree adamantly. Cast and crew who are working on queer-orientated series under China's censorship need every bit of support we can give them. Centering the underlying gay narratives is recognising the subversive aspect of what they're doing and active DISAGREEMENT with the government's policy.