We often hear of celebrities accused of bullying or those accused of assault. Or there are those who have made or actively make or support xenophobic or bigoted remarks. Or perhaps the content itself is propaganda or propagates hate or misinformation or has undertones of misogyny, xenophobia, etc.

What is the ethical way of dealing with such content that they have produced or are a part of?

There is a lot of debate of whether it is enough to separate the art from the artist or whether the right thing to do is to boycott said projects. 

What do you believe is the correct stance on a personal level especially if the celebrity in question is unapologetic?

It really depends what the issue and context is. If there is truth to the story (not everything printed or rumored is) and it is something that bothers a lot then these people lose estimation and maybe not watch their movies or dramas. However i do not seek gossip about stars as they are people as you and me and something said in private setting should not be taken out of context and being publicised.

We see in Kdramas that people with power can be abusive, from mild to extreme and it looks like in South Korea that is somehow accepted as nobody steps in, that abhorrend and should never be accepted.

I don't really care, I always separate the art from the artist & if something seems interested I watch it. Movies and dramas are the work of many people, not just one problematic person, and boycotting them is also unfair to them. 

If someone's unapologetically vile (in whatever way) I won't be their fan, but it won't stop me from watching something they're a part of. 

flux:

It really depends what the issue and context is. If there is truth to the story (not everything printed or rumored is) and it is something that bothers a lot then these people lose estimation and maybe not watch their movies or dramas. However i do not seek gossip about stars as they are people as you and me and something said in private setting should not be taken out of context and being publicised.

We see in Kdramas that people with power can be abusive, from mild to extreme and it looks like in South Korea that is somehow accepted as nobody steps in, that abhorrend and should never be accepted.

Yes, assuming that the situation is not gossip and proven. Although, there are issues like statute of limitations or a victim's suicide letter revelation or crimes committed as a juvenile that may not be punished. And then there are other instances like bigoted or misogynistic statements come under free speech in many countries and are not punishable offenses. So it's tricky to assume that if someone is guilty or bad they will face some kind of punishment or the truth will always come out. There are top celebrities that have a lot of power and money to escape punishment. As viewers, it becomes an ethical question. What can we do or should we even consider such matters?

Klio:

I don't really care, I always separate the art from the artist & if something seems interested I watch it. Movies and dramas are the work of many people, not just one problematic person, and boycotting them is also unfair to them. 

If someone's unapologetically vile (in whatever way) I won't be their fan, but it won't stop me from watching something they're a part of. 

I understand that a production is a collaborative effort. What if they are the source material or the producers of the content? Do you feel differently about such projects?

Most people don't care. I do sometimes.

Here in Australia we have a family owned big beer company that makes some of the best beers in the country, they are very religious of a christian fundamentalist denomination and very opposed to equal rights for homosexual people. Years ago when we had a referendum on equal rights they spent lots of money for the no campaign. They have the right to do so but from then on i choose not to buy their products anymore as i do not support discrimination. By the way i am not gay myself.

What i am saying is that if something bothers me enough there will be a reaction from me.

You probably not mean the societal level right? 

Cause at that level, if offense or problem has legal repercussions, like SA, bullying, drugs; it should go to the process of the law. 

But you probably mean on the fan/audience level? 

Personally, if there are legal process involved, I refrain from making any comments regarding alleged perpetrator and alleged victim. Making assumptions and comments online doesn's help and sometime it just triggers some people on an endless nonsense debate. But I do side and harbor more sympathy to victims even at investigation process rather than on the perpetrator. I've seen a bit of the side of the law process (filing, investigation and etc). Filing of cases takes a lot of courage, grit, time and mental capacity. People don't just do it for fun. At this point i refrain from art of the artist involved.

But if alleged issue is purely heresay or posted anonymously online, give it some pinch of doubt. It doesn't take a lot of mental capacity to post online with the veil of seeming righteous and retribution. it often feels like it is more for attention and trolling. At this junction, I do post online for the company to take action / investigate to clear or admit scandal immediately. The longer it festers in obscure internet land, the more internet trolls make it bigger. So i side with the star more here and enjoy their art until proven otherwise or if victim posted their face/identity and receipts, then I shout for legal process...

But for more nuanced issues: misogyny, racism, fat shaming, xenophobia, cheating. I think its best to get the full context of the issue. Just going off on edited clips posted online is very irresponsible and immature. And also on that level, I do go through the process of understanding/investigation of the celebs knowledge or ignorance of issue. I just don't assume that just because I know a specific racism/issue nuanced, then another person also does (there are probably some issue nuanced or cultural background I don't know of also). Internet trolling and bullying a celeb to ask for apology at this level wrong. I do believe at this point a clarifications are in order and also more depth understanding and education should be taken by celeb & company on said issue. Some apologies are very hard to take especially if celeb are dragged to the dirt when their intention are purely innocent/naive.

In this time of great accessibility to celebs: where not only paparazzi but fans can just go take a clip of said celeb anytime to go for their privacy, and where society dictates parasocial activities; The celeb is turned into a fishbowl. Even if it was there choice to live the Celebrity life, it doesn't justify personal expectation on them. Don't expect them to be perfect or live up to your own ideals. They might make mistakes whether intentional, ill intentioned or naively. So its best to keep an open mind. If they did wrong, apologies are in order. if they don't then they have learned their lesson. 

the main issue is probably the cancellation movement. It always feels like nowadays there would always be an issue that honkers someone's sensibilities. But always think context and nuances.  Personally there are some issues that I separate the art vs the artist, best example is cheating. I hate cheaters, i think they are scums but however much i try to get away from projects of said celebs, I always get back to their art.  It sometimes stresses me out that I do support their art, but good art is good art. 

Celebs are only humans, they can make mistakes, they can learn and grow, they can educate themselves, and they can change and be better individuals. 

But Cancellation is a personal issue. So do what you feel is right by you.  You do you...

flux:

Most people don't care. I do sometimes.

Here in Australia we have a family owned big beer company that makes some of the best beers in the country, they are very religious of a christian fundamentalist denomination and very opposed to equal rights for homosexual people. Years ago when we had a referendum on equal rights they spent lots of money for the no campaign. They have the right to do so but from then on i choose not to buy their products anymore as i do not support discrimination. By the way i am not gay myself.

What i am saying is that if something bothers me enough there will be a reaction from me. 

Indeed. There are definitely times where a reaction is required.

Czakhareina:
But you probably mean on the fan/audience level?

Yes, absolutely. I was thinking more along the lines of the example flux provided although I do agree with what you've said. Sometimes there are indeed nuances. Celebrities can also be ignorant or things can very well be taken out of context.

However, I also believe that some views are inexcusable especially when you are a celebrity and are broadcasting to a large and often times global audience as a person of influence. Yes, it is human nature to have opinions and political leanings, etc. You can have opinions that cause disagreements for example, "I like pineapple on pizza" can be controversial but you're entitled to that choice as it is personal and doesn't impact others. But the problem lies when someone believes some groups people are inherently lesser than others so it's okay if bad things happen/are done to them, for example. And this is their unapologetic stance and they don't care for a debate or to change their belief in any way. At times their views may be more subtle, but they may influence others to think in a similar way. I didn't want to name names but one example that came to mind is Andrew Tate and him getting deplatformed for his influence over young boys. Till date, people argue over what he actually means when he speaks of women. So at times, a celebrity's statement may not be blatant but you can make out what it's alluding to.

Personally, I always try to understand another person's view as we all have different human experiences but not in the case of those who have an ill will towards "the other". However, it does hurt when said person's work whether a novel, music, movies, etc have been giving you joy and now you are placed in a moral dilemma. Do I support this person's art form despite their views? Will it make a difference if I don't? Does it matter if it doesn't because it's the right thing to do? Or is it okay to access it through other means as long as it does not support them monetarily?

Just some of the questions that have been running through my mind lately thus I wanted to hear other opinions on the subject. :)

I am on the side of it‘s the art not the artist. But sometimes there is something that bothers me enough to not watch. Like sometimes actors will reveal that they were pressured to do a sex scene they didn’t want to do. Or someone was seriously injured in a stunt but they kept the footage. Somehow it feels like to watch would be participating in their humiliation. 

Baklajan:

I am on the side of it‘s the art not the artist. But sometimes there is something that bothers me enough to not watch. Like sometimes actors will reveal that they were pressured to do a sex scene they didn’t want to do. Or someone was seriously injured in a stunt but they kept the footage. Somehow it feels like to watch would be participating in their humiliation. 

Good points. I haven't come across such news as yet but you're right in avoiding such shows. 

Baklajan:

Guess my opinion is different on these issues. The sex scenes would be outlined in the script and if you accept the role you have no right to complain, on contrary the publicly complaining actor could be sued if it affects the drama and reputation of label and director. As for accidents and stunts or even death of actor it is up to the studio to decide if they release the film, the actors are paid and the footage belongs to the employer. The studios will be careful to release films where there could be a backlash because a beloved actor got seriously injured or died.