I have a question to anybody who had paid in the past for any of the above subscriptions. 

For someone outside of China/Asia which of these paid subscriptions would be the best (cost effective) to get the newest releases?  

Speaking from US perspective: i think iQIYI is the most expensive and does not have a lot of sales (but content is good and generally matches with Chinese releases). Tencent/weTV is cheaper and has more sales but you kind of get what you pay for.. more restricted “super VIP” content (like when episodes drop ahead of schedule) and sometimes dramas either don’t even air on this platform (even though it is released or produced by Tencent) or it is lagged by many months to Chinese counterpart. After my weTV expires in May, I don’t think I will renew. 

all of the above is caveated depending also on what you want to watch. Ex. I got weTV for Who Rules the World and iQIYI during Nov 11 Singles day promotion last year (was in time for Story of Kunning Palace). I don’t purchase Youku so I don’t have any comments on that.

hope the above was helpful!

it sure does.  Thank you very much, I got one-month special last November for My Journey to You and renewed for the year with iQIYI full price, but am finding out that there is limited library on old classics (like Joy of Life,) and even less new releases.  Can you recommend VPN for getting AliPay and weTV?  

Sorry I don’t use a VPN… are you trying to ask to access Chinese version of those products? If so, I don’t think a VPN will work because generally for these apps, there are two separate versions: local Chinese and overseas version (which are two different types of membership). I can confirm this for a fact that I recently went to China and my overseas version of iQIYI could not play A Journey to Love, whether I was in Singapore, China or Taiwan (despite the heavy advertising/commercials around it at the time). I ended up watching some episodes with my cousin who did have the Chinese VIP membership. But as soon as I returned to US, then it was able to play again.

I find iQiyi is the most consistent in having a decent content pipeline with variety across genres. Tencent is slightly less consistent but I think their 2024 blockbuster pipeline should be a lot better than anyone else's. iQiyi is heavily focusing on Fox Spirit Matchmaker series in 2024 which is xianxia, a genre people either love or hate. If you subscribe to iQiyi this year that is going to be your steady diet. Youku has some good shows coming but it is the one that I would only subscribe to if they are airing something you badly want to watch. 

In general I think iQiyi + Netflix and/or Viki gets you everything. You just may have to watch the Youku and Tencent dramas a bit later. iQiyi rarely licenses its content to Netflix or Viki so the only way is to subscribe to it.

F4luv89:

Sorry I don’t use a VPN… are you trying to ask to access Chinese version of those products? If so, I don’t think a VPN will work because generally for these apps, there are two separate versions: local Chinese and overseas version (which are two different types of membership). I can confirm this for a fact that I recently went to China and my overseas version of iQIYI could not play A Journey to Love, whether I was in Singapore, China or Taiwan (despite the heavy advertising/commercials around it at the time). I ended up watching some episodes with my cousin who did have the Chinese VIP membership. But as soon as I returned to US, then it was able to play again.

You were right on target. I am going to China next month and wanted to get local version, but now I will just forgo this entire thing. Thank you so much! Oh, and if I can ask you one more thing: Will having VPN on my phone impair WeChat app? Someone told me it may not work with VPN..

PeachBlossomGoddess:

I find iQiyi is the most consistent in having a decent content pipeline with variety across genres. Tencent is slightly less consistent but I think their 2024 blockbuster pipeline should be a lot better than anyone else's. iQiyi is heavily focusing on Fox Spirit Matchmaker series in 2024 which is xianxia, a genre people either love or hate. If you subscribe to iQiyi this year that is going to be your steady diet. Youku has some good shows coming but it is the one that I would only subscribe to if they are airing something you badly want to watch. 

In general I think iQiyi + Netflix and/or Viki gets you everything. You just may have to watch the Youku and Tencent dramas a bit later. iQiyi rarely licenses its content to Netflix or Viki so the only way is to subscribe to it.

I agree with you. After getting iQIYI VIP for this year I was tempted to do half price Youku as well, mainly because of the In Blossom, but now it airs on YT as well, so I think I will get Youku next year and cancel the other one, just to compare.  Tencent is not available in my area at all even with the AliPay, so I am sticking with the two that work. 

Thank you!

Kasia Krakowianka:

You were right on target. I am going to China next month and wanted to get local version, but now I will just forgo this entire thing. Thank you so much! Oh, and if I can ask you one more thing: Will having VPN on my phone impair WeChat app? Someone told me it may not work with VPN..

Ok have a good trip! I have used VPN in the past but I think you will be ok if you are just using WeChat to chat. As an example, in the US, I use WeChat frequently to communicate with my family (mainly in China) and find I do not have any trouble using it. When I was in China, it worked the same. The only issue is that I cannot use the wallet function because I do not have a Chinese identity card nor a local bank account (tested with my cousin).

F4luv89:

Ok have a good trip! I have used VPN in the past but I think you will be ok if you are just using WeChat to chat. As an example, in the US, I use WeChat frequently to communicate with my family (mainly in China) and find I do not have any trouble using it. When I was in China, it worked the same. The only issue is that I cannot use the wallet function because I do not have a Chinese identity card nor a local bank account (tested with my cousin).

thanks! Enjoy In Blossom! It made my Perfect 10 list. 

I am glad I found your post. Thanks for some suggestions. I will surely keep it in my mind. Now, it is my turn to help you and I would like to share my personal experience with all of you. If you ever wants to hire an essay writer but you can't find them, then you can simply visit https://uktopwriters.com/review-ukessays/ here where you will easily find the best essay writing service. And the best thing is you can read reviews of them. 

Hello! I have those 3 on my phone and on my tv. I couldn’t really decide as well because they all have certain series I watch, YOUKU for the double & other mini series, WeTV has a wide variety of Chinese series, while iqiyi has tons of Asian series & kunning place. So I really don’t know which to let go for r to still keep the 3, but I think it’s too much since I also have Netflix, and Disney :(