sarabelles:

Is there a specific genre you're looking for? If not, the first one that comes to mind for me is Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, one of the best and most enjoyable books I've read ever! I plan on rereading it this year because I miss it so much!

No specific genre but something calm and peaceful would be good too on the other hand i'v heard a lot about six of crows, going to give it a try soon 

sarabelles:

Is there a specific genre you're looking for? If not, the first one that comes to mind for me is Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, one of the best and most enjoyable books I've read ever! I plan on rereading it this year because I miss it so much!

I second Six of Crows! Such a well-written book filled with amazing characters!

Suckerforhappyendings:

I've been wanting to read a nice found family trope book for a while so if anyone's got any recommendations pls tell me a few 

I'm thinking of Sky Blues, it's pretty underrated but one of things that I loved about the book was that it had a strong found-family theme going on, the gang's friendship was too cute. It was such an easy read

The Sky Blues

Sky’s small town turns absolutely claustrophobic when his secret promposal plans get leaked to the entire school in this witty, heartfelt, and ultimately hopeful debut novel for fans of What if it’s Us? and I Wish You All the Best.
 justanotherrey:
I'm thinking of Sky Blues, it's pretty underrated but one of things that I loved about the book was that it had a strong found-family theme going on, the gang's friendship was too cute. It was such an easy read

I have a feeling this is exactlky what i need ill read it soon

I was feeling a little reading slump-y (three weeks into the new year and not a single book had been picked up) so I opted for a shorter book I've been meaning to read for a while. Then, I tried to pick up books from my bookshelves rather than buying/borrowing ones I don't own. Both were successes and I'm a little over halfway done with my third read of the month!

Poison for Breakfast by Lemoney Snicket. 

I picked this one up because the title was interesting, the book was short, and the author is one I used to love back in elementary school. It was kind of like coming back to an old friend, because his writing style was still very similar and I enjoyed it. It was short and sweet. I finished it in one sitting. (3.5/5)

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa.

Another shorter book (slightly longer than my last read) but one I've been meaning to read for a while, I also own a physical copy, and I'm trying to read from more diverse authors (this novel is translated from Japanese). The translation was wonderfully executed where I didn't feel distant from the writing or characters, and the story was very heartwarming and different. Just a super quick summary, this book is about a housekeeper hired to take care of an ex-professor of mathematics who, due to an accident, only retains present-day memories for a duration of 80 minutes. He remembers everything from before the accident, though. Imagine coming to work every day and having to reintroduce yourself. This was just... different from most books I've read and just beautiful. (4/5)

Continuing on my trend of picking up books I physically own, I'm currently halfway through Beartown by Fredrik Backman and I'm already so in love with his writing.

(You can also find me on Goodreads!)

sarabelles:
The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa.

Another shorter book (slightly longer than my last read) but one I've been meaning to read for a while, I also own a physical copy, and I'm trying to read from more diverse authors (this novel is translated from Japanese). The translation was wonderfully executed where I didn't feel distant from the writing or characters, and the story was very heartwarming and different. Just a super quick summary, this book is about a housekeeper hired to take care of an ex-professor of mathematics who, due to an accident, only retains present-day memories for a duration of 80 minutes. He remembers everything from before the accident, though. Imagine coming to work every day and having to reintroduce yourself. This was just... different from most books I've read and just beautiful. (4/5)

I really enjoyed this one too!
And loved its movie adaptation as well :)

penel:

I really enjoyed this one too!
And loved its movie adaptation as well :)

I was not aware it was adapted into a movie, I'll definitely have to look that up! I'm glad you enjoyed both.

sarabelles:

I was not aware it was adapted into a movie, I'll definitely have to look that up! I'm glad you enjoyed both.

One of the most successful movie adaptations I've watched:
https://mydramalist.com/3925-the-professors-beloved-equation

sarabelles:
Continuing on my trend of picking up books I physically own, I'm currently halfway through Beartown by Fredrik Backman and I'm already so in love with his writing.

I brought us against you recently not knowing that its part of the sequel i should pick up beartwon soon although i'd have to read this online 

Thank you for the recommendation of Haruki Murakami's book, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. I have read other books by Murakami: Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore,.... 

His memoir was so normal and refreshing. (What was I expecting from someone who wrote 1Q84?)  I almost want to become a runner now but I've adapted his stance towards running to my habit of daily walking.  Overall, a good read. 

I also just finished Shadow Life by Hiromi Goto - a fun graphic novel about a feisty mom who's not ready to be put away in an old folks home nor ready for death to find her.  It's a quick read. 

The other memoir I finished is Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner. This was a difficult book to read as much of it is focused on her mom's dying. But it's an interesting look at the author's upbringing as the daughter of a Korean immigrant and her white father in a rural community in Oregon. She sprinkles Korean words throughout her text and that's fun when I can recognize many of the words. Food and eating is a predominate element of the her story.  Overall, I'd recommend this book. 

Recently I read Detransition, Baby by Torrey Petters it was really good :)

Hehe everyone has such pretty formatting this time around! I don't think I'll be able to finish a book this month sadly. We'll have to see how I do in February.

Update: I finished Beartown and Fredrik Backman is officially one of my new favorite authors. I adored Anxious People, his other book, when I read it last year but I've heard Beartown is completely different and while I think it is... I still think it's freaking brilliant.

I cried. Highly recommend. Wow.

Hello, friends. I've actually managed to finish a book over New year's break (hooray!) and thought I'd come here to celebrate. Unfortunately I am now back in work/study mode, so it might take months for the next one.

The book was :

The Memory Police, by Yoko Ogawa, which many of you seem to have read. I unexpectedly liked it although I consider myself an action/plot-centered person and this was anything but that. It was the use of language and bleak environment that did it for me, I think.

sarabelles:

Oh my gosh this! I've been at 42% in Great Expectations since ... I think last May. That's embarrassing, I don't usually do that with books but not enough is happening for me to want to keep going and I'm so disappointed since I genuinely thought I'd love this book. How can this be the same author as one of my favorite books ever aka A Tale of Two Cities?

I feel your pain! I have to decide whether I want to continue or give up entirely, and try another Dickens.

January wrap-up

I read a lot this month. I was in a drama slump this month, so all that time was put into books. Overall, a pleasant reading month, have found a couple of favorites that would like to revisit and reread.

The Sky Blues - Robbie Couch

Bingeable, engaging and wholesome with lovable secondary characters and minor twists that made me giddy.
Impeccable diversity, found-family and 
friendship centered.

4/5
People We Meet On Vacation - Emily Henry

Spectacular writing, three dimensional leads, character arc, sizzling chemistry, fun banter and friendship.
Friends to lovers done right!

4/5
(I'd probably give it a 5 if I reread)
Ace of Spades - Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé

An excellent thriller that resolutely tackled various themes like institutional racism, white supremacy and lgbtq+ representation.
Both the protagonists had solid characterizations and were compelling to read about.

4.5/5
The Housekeeper and the Professor - Yōko Ogawa

An utterly beautiful novel about the mundane experience of creating bonds with the people you never expect to.
There's a lot of maths and the application of it towards nature and everyday life.

4.25/5
The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland - Rebekah Crane

This was awful.
The mental health rep was earnestly offensive and I despised the characters.

1/5
Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 - Cho Nam Joo

Alluring and thought-provoking.
Feminism, discrimination, gender inequality.
Brutal, heartrending and hard-hitting.
It caused a big uproar about sexism in South Korea.

4.25/5
Reminders of Him - Colleen Hoover

Why did I read this? I was just getting on the hype train since this was the hottest release of this month.
Do I regret reading it? YES.

2/5
Icebreaker - A.L. Graziadei

It has every theme that you can think of.
Enemies to lovers, a rivalry between two hockey players fighting for the no1 draft spot.
One of the best mental health reps I've ever read!

4/5