MichaKu:

Finally I got to read again, this time a bestseller from Japan from Michiko Aoyama called "Frau Komachi empfiehlt ein Buch" or in English would be "What you are looking for is in the library"

The book covers 5 slice of life stories of people who are a bit lost or want a change of direction in their life, somehow end up in a public library and then would always get an extra book  from the librarian after they talked to her and basically that book begins to change everything. Fabulous stories about life and the power of books, highly recommended !!! 5 out of 5 !

Sounds really interesting from your description. Thanks for the recommendation!

Haven't read much since the beginning of this year but, during the last 2 months, I did finish 3 books, yay!

4/5 stars
4/5 stars3/5 stars

"The Old Woman with the Knife" is a quirky novel about an unusual protagonist: a 65 years old female contract killer who is about to retire. Sarcastic, suspenseful, emotional.

"A Song for Tomorrow" is based on the true story of Alice Martineau, a young woman who had cystic fibrosis and who always dreamed of being a singer. Inspiring, touching and very very emotional.

"The Way Home" is a psychological thriller with the distinct style of Sebastian Fitzek, but this time (perhaps because I've read most of his books) I found the content more raw and triggering, as well as intentionally more overcomplicated than necessary, and the plot-twists not that shocking as in his other books. Not as good as expected...

Have a great reading month, dear Book Club family!
Always looking forward to your reading updates and recommendations :)

I made it a goal to cut back dramatically from the 454 books I read last year. So far this year, I've read only 169, a big improvement. Here are the 12 books I've tagged at The Storygraph as my top reads of 2023, so far

I managed to finished 3 books this month: The Maidens by Alex Michaelides, The Sad Part Was by Prabda Yoon, and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

penel:

I'm intrigued with this title too! I may try to find it and check it out for myself.

I'd give it a 7.5--okay average.  Some of the short stories were better than others.

This month I finished 1st to Die by James Patterson after an acquaintance recommended the Women's Murder Club series. It was entertaining and not what I usually go for. I probably won't tread any of his other books. Just not a big fan of crime dramas.

MichaKu:

Finally I got to read again, this time a bestseller from Japan from Michiko Aoyama called "Frau Komachi empfiehlt ein Buch" or in English would be "What you are looking for is in the library"

The book covers 5 slice of life stories of people who are a bit lost or want a change of direction in their life, somehow end up in a public library and then would always get an extra book  from the librarian after they talked to her and basically that book begins to change everything. Fabulous stories about life and the power of books, highly recommended !!! 5 out of 5 !

yess this book is so good

penel:

Haven't read much since the beginning of this year but, during the last 2 months, I did finish 3 books, yay!

4/5 stars
4/5 stars3/5 stars

"The Old Woman with the Knife" is a quirky novel about an unusual protagonist: a 65 years old female contract killer who is about to retire. Sarcastic, suspenseful, emotional.

"A Song for Tomorrow" is based on the true story of Alice Martineau, a young woman who had cystic fibrosis and who always dreamed of being a singer. Inspiring, touching and very very emotional.

"The Way Home" is a psychological thriller with the distinct style of Sebastian Fitzek, but this time (perhaps because I've read most of his books) I found the content more raw and triggering, as well as intentionally more overcomplicated than necessary, and the plot-twists not that shocking as in his other books. Not as good as expected...

Have a great reading month, dear Book Club family!
Always looking forward to your reading updates and recommendations :) 

For the author of "The Way Home", what other books do you recommend that are written by him? :)

law:
For the author of "The Way Home", what other books do you recommend that are written by him? :)

I would recommend "The Therapy" and "The Package". Those are the ones I rated higher.

I hope it was a good month for everyone I couldn't finish any book this month i'm still on a little life hopefully i can finish it soon and share a bit. Happy reading for this month!!

namsham:

I hope it was a good month for everyone I couldn't finish any book this month i'm still on a little life hopefully i can finish it soon and share a bit. Happy reading for this month!!

No worries! There are some good months and there are some not very good. Reading even a few pages is what matters!

Hey y'all! For September, I did a lot of reading (I haven't watched any dramas from since around mid-August). I was in the mood to immerse myself in a well-established fictional world, so I started J D Robb's In Death series (there are currently 58 books!) and I got up to the 10th book by the end of the month. The stories are police procedurals set in a futuristic New York (2058 onwards) and follows Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her colleagues as they solve cases (with the help of her husband, Roarke). I wasn't enamored with the first book but the series quickly grew on me; I love the main and recurring characters, and the cases are interesting, though mostly violent and graphic. The two main characters are a couple, and the development of their relationship accounts for a good portion of my enjoyment of the series so far.  My average rating for the books I've already completed (10 novels and one novella) is 3.86 out of 5 stars.

Because of @aenoee, I got nostalgic about two of my favorite Judith Mc Naught books and reread them as well (after a super-long library wait!): Almost Heaven and Perfect. I enjoyed the revisit, though she's really longwinded, whether it's historicals or contemps. 4/5 stars for both.

I also listened to the first four books in Robert Goldsborough Nero Wolfe series (mind you, I've never read the original Nero Wolfe books, by Rex Stout). The mysteries are cozy and not intense, and I find the overall vibe so far to be mostly fluff, but I like the witty banter among the recurring cast. The audiobooks are short and make for good company while I wash dishes and do other housework. My average rating for these four books is 3.34/5 stars.

I was on a solid mystery/suspense kick for September, so I also read Clerical Errors, a British cozy mystery novel with a church setting. Because of the setting, I had high hopes for this one but it was mostly bland and uneventful (for a murder mystery), though there were some thought-provoking elements to the story. 3.5/5 stars

Finally, I completed A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts, a Great Courses lecture series. It took me a while to finish and some parts held my interest more than others but, overall, it was both informative and insightful. 4.5/5 stars

Phew, I'm finally done! :P

Happy reading to everyone :-)

Berd:
and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Did you like it ? I've heard everything about this book. Very good reviews and others that said it was so annoying. So I thought about it before I started it.

Fati:

Did you like it ? I've heard everything about this book. Very good reviews and others that said it was so annoying. So I thought about it before I started it.

It was good. I think I might've enjoyed it more if I had read it instead of doing the audiobook because there were a few characters with the same name and the way the story jumped from person to person had me feeling a little lost but I do remember enjoying it nonetheless. It's definitely a lot and I can see why people found it annoying but you should still give it a try.

Berd:

It was good. I think I might've enjoyed it more if I had read it instead of doing the audiobook because there were a few characters with the same name and the way the story jumped from person to person had me feeling a little lost but I do remember enjoying it nonetheless. It's definitely a lot and I can see why people found it annoying but you should still give it a try.

Ok thanks, so I Will try !