Doremeduck wrote: I can't even read romanization. I try, but end up pronouncing the words like you would in English. Give me Hangul though, and I can read it almost as easily as I can read English.

Ahahaha yes. I'm glad I wasn't exposed to romanization in the first place. I've only read romanization once and it was the lyrics from a song in Playful Kiss which is my first kdrama ^^
I'm pronouncing right but still have problems in reading...Just learned the letters ^^
Try KWOW on YouTube. Korean Word Of the Week. They choose a couple of topics/subjects commented by the fans and talk about them and show you how to spell it and how to use it formally/informally and examples of it using it in sentences. It's really funny. It's professor Oh and her friends (her friends- people she dresses up as). I really enjoy and I'm only on #18. At the end of the video they have their typical Korean conversation using the words you learned in the video; it's like watching a drama about typical Korean people.
I know hangeul and some Korean from living in Korea. I'd really love to study more Korean, but I've been studying Japanese since way before then and need to finish up with that.
I'm currently teaching myself and i'm starting to understand a lot more. I have a few books and cds and a lot of other resources
addylovesbwood wrote: I Use everything around me. I have Rossetta Stone...use it twice a month because it's not that helpful. Its actually hard. I would only use RS on an intermediate level, not recommended for beginners. I go on quizlet.com for flashcards. Downloaded the Talk To Me In Korean app from the play store along with other free Hangul apps. I ordered lesson 1 from TTMIK. it was $15 I think.

First step in learning korean is to learn how to read and write Hangul!
I learned from this site in a day
http://www.learnlangs.com/RWP/Korean/Korean%20-%20Lesson%201.htm

According to my friend who used Rosetta Stone to try to learn Korean, the Korean Rosetta Stone is really not that great... And from what I've experienced it really isn't that great.... But props to you for trying to learn Korean so diligently!
Not learning Korean (yet), but can already read/write hangul.
Talktomeinkorean.com's book series is really great. I got the first level book and am working on it.
I think that in this summer I will buy a Korean workbook and start to study it :] it's just so hard to choose the right book for yourself.. I think that in the workbook there needs to be answers and some kind of CD so I can listen to the language. Has anyone tried Elementary Korean? I've been wondering should I buy it :] or should I try some other book..? help me, please :[
yeochinmin wrote: Ahahaha yes. I'm glad I wasn't exposed to romanization in the first place. I've only read romanization once and it was the lyrics from a song in Playful Kiss which is my first kdrama ^^

No kidding! Korean romanization is really hard! It doesn't seem like there really is a standard, so everyone just romanizes it best they can. I have a much easier time reading hangeul than Korean romaji.
feder wrote: No kidding! Korean romanization is really hard! It doesn't seem like there really is a standard, so everyone just romanizes it best they can. I have a much easier time reading hangeul than Korean romaji.

Yeah it feels like they "mess up" a lot.

For example, the name "Lee" is actually written " 이" in hangul, which would be "e" if it was romanized, to make it actually "Lee" it would have to be written like "리".

But I'm still new to hangul, so please correct me if I'm wrong!
KreD wrote: Yeah it feels like they "mess up" a lot.

For example, the name "Lee" is actually written " 이" in hangul, which would be "e" if it was romanized, to make it actually "Lee" it would have to be written like "리".

But I'm still new to hangul, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

No, you're completely right there. They changed the last names to a more "English" pronunciation for some reason or another.

박 (B/Pak) gets translated into "Park".
이 (I) gets translated into "Lee".

I think those are the only REAL offenders, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were more!
i wanted to ask why does korean always seem to end their sentence with 'ida' eg 'ismida.. kamsanida.. chusoamida' what does ida mean?
dcrazy wrote: i wanted to ask why does korean always seem to end their sentence with 'ida' eg 'ismida.. kamsanida.. chusoamida' what does ida mean?

That's the formal ending. Korea has two main formal tenses. One ends with ~pnida and the other with ~yo

For example,

1. 먹다 meokda- eat (noun form)
2. 먹어습니다 meogeoseupnida- I eat (most formal) (p sounds like an m when spoken)
3. 먹어요 meogeoyo- I eat (formal)
4. 먹어 meogeo- I eat (casual, informal)

1. Used when talking to yourself.
2. Used by store/restaurant workers when speaking to customers, used by machines, used when talking to bosses or people higher up in rank.
3. Used when talking to people older than you, or people you don't know well.
4. Used when talking to friends that are younger than you. Very casual

I used #3 most of the time, except when I was talking to children.

Of course, I've never studied Korean in a classroom setting, so I'm not sure how much this accurate. This is mostly just stuff I've learned by living in Korea and studying how people talk to each other.
I'm learning Korean on my own.. and because i couldn't understand some things I dropped it for some time but i'm going to start learning again, also I'm going to learn Korean in Uni and now I'm preparing for exams. I wish I pass :)