i just finished watching back from the brink (i know i’m very late?) and i’m obsessed with it!! i think it broke me out of my drama slump, because i haven’t completed a drama in a very long time :’) i just finished it yesterday, but i’m starting my rewatch today >_<

the character i’m most confused about is tianyao, and i’m curious as to how everyone interprets his character?

his expression is often stoic (bc of how he closed his heart off from the world due to suying), so sometimes it’s hard to interpret how he’s feeling.

? i’m mainly confused about him because i’ve read comments saying that he started off manipulating yanhui for his own benefits, and i’m just curious why does he need yanhui’s help to retrieve all his body parts (is it because she has the heart protecting scale?).
there was a particular flashback where it shows tianyao saying he would not have cared for yanhui if she didn’t have the heart protecting scale, does that make him a cold and heartless person because he basically made use of her for his own benefit?
when i first watched it i couldn’t telll he was manipulating her. i felt like his kindness towards the granny and yanhui were genuine. but was he just making use of them? (also why did he have to pretend to be a doofus?)
i know tianyao slowly opened his heart, but did he open his heart just to yanhui or did he bestow kindness genuinely to others as well?
what are y’all interpretation of his character? is he selfless or selfish?

i just wanted to know if there’s any back from the brink hardcore fans that can have a conversation w me about him (even though i’m ages late to the fandom-) ?
thank you ?

In the beginning Tian Yao is not selfish, he was betrayed by the one he loved - Su Ying. He closed his heart to new relationships whether it's a love interest or friendship. The Dragon doesn't trust anyone. Flashbacks showed us that he wanted to take the scale away but he didn't. I suppose that was a momentary decision. Tian Yao understands what is good and what is bad, he acts  strategically. He stays cold and aside of personal conversations. Tian Yao wants he's bodyparts back and as well as protect people close to him, he doesn't want to watch them suffer. Yan Hui is the reason he begins to trust again and opens his heart to other people. She showed him what compassion is, he learned empathy again. He became the one who cares and who defeated the fear of being betrayed again. In the last scene  Tian Yao helps an old man, he shares the Dragon spells with others, he wants to build and not to destroy.