All spells in this drama actually work, if you truly BELIEVE in them.

1. The Love Potion 

- The love potion helps in enhancing feelings that its consumers have for someone they like.

- ML already felt something for FL around episode 1-3 before he accidentally drank the love potion. The potion was just there as a force to enhance his feelings.

- It also changed FL’s immediate superior’s indifferent attitude towards her, to treating her nicely without any romantic feelings. Also, it helped enhances his feelings for Ms Ma, their manager, because Ms Ma is the one that he likes.

- The Gardener never drank the love potion. He lied when he told her she reminded him of his wife. It was part of his evil plan to get close to her as she’s the book owner.

2. The Cure Disease Spell 

- ML was cured. His hallucinations disappeared. His right hand was not in pain anymore.

- But then, this spell was nullified by the black magic, which is the cursed plant. His clothes. Her gloves. The blood. Then his condition worsened. The illness came back. It’s also the reason FL saw the tragic image pieces of their past lives. Hence, their relationship started to be affected by the black magic. 

3. The Disaster Nullification Spell 

- Invalid.

- However, before they found out it was invalid, they totally believed that the “Love Potion  effects reverse” was successful. This plot was also written to show that ML’s feelings for FL are real as he still felt his heart beating for her when he was watching the CCTV.

4. The Fair Skin Spell 

- ML noticed the difference on her skin, but SML denied because he chose to NOT want to believe in it. 

- Then they were lead to believe the spells didn’t work - important event to make ML realise that his feelings for FL are real

- ML’s assistant also noticed that FL looks prettier and glowy. 

On point dear you sum up so nicely . 

I’m really trying my best here with the help from DWY fam. Sorry for my limited English tho hahaha

Thank you, my dear friend! ❤️

You wrote a concise summary. Made every spell even clearer. 

Thank youuu. Just sharing what I understand about the spells especially after rewatching it. :D

You summed it up very nicely. But I just want to mention something, I think we can't say for sure her superior in the office was nicer to her because of the love potion.  It could be true; but it could also be because he has feelings for Ms. Ma and he tries to be nicer to her after Ms. Ma arrives to look better to Ms. Ma.

But I'm also rewatching now, and I also noticed some things. As you said, we can already see signs of him having feeling already on ep.s 1-3.  And ep 3, when he first started having more feelings for her, he is very subtle; like he gets jealous of Mr. Kwon but doesn't really say much to show it to her. It's only after he finds out about the love potion; he gets rid of all embarrasement about his feelings and becomes very vocal about them in an obvious way.

It is very interesting but in ep 5. when they go to the sea for Hong Jo's fathers' death anniversary; we see that after Hong Jo gets drunk he acts more mature; he's like okay let's go against our destiny (he doesn't go I want to go against my destiny, no I don't etc. like he usually does). So, to me it shows that he can control his behavior when he wants to or when he thinks it is not appropriate. So, maybe it is still a possibility that love potion doesn't work; but he really started to like her as he spend more time with her and thinking he is under the spell made him loose all shame and be very open about everything he is feeling.

But, I still think it can be as you said they only work if you believe them.

And I still think it is possible the spells might be real to some extent because as you said the assistant notice her glowing skin (because he doesn't know anything about the spells). In this case, I also find it a nice touch that the ML and SML didn't understand if the spell worked or not because they like her and to them, her skin and face is already very pretty; so they can't really notice the difference with the spell whereas the assistant who has no feelings for Hong Jo can notice. :)

I’m very impressed with your thoughts regarding the spells, dear. They made me see things from different sides. 

I like this kind of drama. It keeps my brain working. ?

oh im so thankful for this because I was so confused esp with the love potion spell bc I was like how would I truly know if the spell was the only reason he liked her yknow??

Thank you for the great points. The thing i love about this drama is that it can be interpreted in different ways. 

There’s a point that I don’t agree with you, which is about the gardener. I believe he did drink the portion. My theory is that he had feelings for Hong-jo during their time working together as Hong-jo probably reminded him of his late wife. But because he himself was evil-spirited and obssessive (murdered his wife out of jealousy), the love portion enhanced those feelings into an evil and obssessive “love” instead. You said it was part of his plan to get close to her as she is the book owner, which makes me a bit confused as there’s no indication of him knowing about the existence of the book beforehand (unless he is one of those who can remember their past life like Eun-wol said then it makes sense that he knew about the book and that Hong-jo is Aeng-cho from the beginning). My guess is that he only knew about the spell book after he drank the portion, got obssessed with her and broke into her house (as she often left the window unlocked).

Overall, I think the drama intentionally made it vague whether it is true or not so we have to make our own guess. But then the curse is real so I think there’s no reason for the spells to not be real. 

can somebody please explain to me if ML has feelings for FL because of the Love Spell? i didn’t quite get it? because at first he was acting kinda childish, was bragging and saying that his „feelings“ are because of the spell, but then he acts very mature and calm, but still kinda loves FL. did the spell work? and did The Disaster Nullification spell work???  if it didn’t why? were these two spells valid? ? thank you!

Did the disaster nullification spell not work because she wrote it incorrectly? or what? didn’t get it :(((((

Hey here is my answer to your questions:

1. The diaster nullification spell didn’t work because she wrote it wrong. 

2. As explained above, the love spell works BUT it only enhances the romantic feelings of those who drank it. 

Because the ML already liked the FL before he drank the portion, the love spell only enhanced his feelings, not made him love her out of nowhere. 

And that’s why it did not make Mr. Gong fall in love with FL but fall in love with Ms. Ma instead because Mr. Gong has one-sided feelings for her for many years and now the spell enhanced it and made him step up his games to win her heart. 

It worked on the gardener because he liked FL beforehand but because he was a creepy, obsessive guy, it also enhanced his feelings in the same evil way.

3. I speculate that for some reasons, the ML acted childish and didn’t want to admit that he liked her and blamed it all on the spell: 

1) He already had a goddess girlfriend at the time (so he didn’t want to cheat on her obviously), 

2) He was a very arrogant dude and thought of FL as a “mediocre” girl compared to his current gf (he said this himself in the 3rd or 4th ep I think). So he did not want to believe that he actually liked her and blamed his feelings on the spell. I think this is the biggest red flag about him lol.

3) Again, he was an arrogant dude so I think he was fed up when he had intense feelings for the FL but she seemed to not have any feeling for him and liked the SML instead. So he insisted that the love spell created these feelings and made him behave that way. 

4) Later, when he acted more mature and calm. that was when he realized that the feelings he had for her were real and NOT because of the spell anymore. I would say he admitted that whether there’s a spell or not, he would still fall in love with her (because he already did in the first few episodes).