I was thinking about making this thread for a while. I'm totally crazy about classic Japanese Cinema and I wonder if here's more people interested. Maybe someone would like to start watch some ;) If you want any recommendations, any infos, just anything - write. Share your thoughts and so on. I hope to spread some Japanese classics lovin' ;)
I love Japanese movies and I am a big fan of classic movies. I love Seven Samurai and Ran (although Ran is a bit newer being made in 1985 I still consider it a classic)
Yes, of course Ran is a classic. Films from 80' we can include and even some from 90' (for example "Ring"). I think we don't need to say that classic are only from, let's say, 20' to 60' or 70'. There are films after 2000 which will end up as classics after a while for sure.
I'm a fan of period dramas/ movies, but I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even watched one film by Akira Kurosawa. I need to start watching them soon.
Great thread idea!! I just finished watching The Rickshaw Man (1958, by Inagaki Hiroshi)...it's a great movie and definitely a classic! It stroke some deep chords within me...but I warn you, don't watch it if you're already a bit sad! And about Kurosawa...well, I only watched Seven Samurai, so I need to widen my knowledge too! :D
Gaaah, I want to watch The Rickshaw Man too :) But before, Inagaki's trilogy about Miyamoto. I still have so many films to watch that sometimes I don't know with which start ;)
Oooh, that's on my to watch list too!! Lately I'm feeling the strong need to watch some old movies...I've watched just a few, but they're amazing, so I need more!! So of course if you (or anyone else) has any recommendations, feel free to tell me!! ^ ^
no worries ;) Lately I was watching some yakuza eiga instead of chanbara and jidageki (samurai and historical films) - "Battles without Honor and Humanity" by Fukusaku Kinji are real jewel. Film changed whole perception on yakuza in Japanese film 'cause there was shown reality of crimes.
SuedeGirl wrote: no worries ;) Lately I was watching some yakuza eiga instead of chanbara and jidageki (samurai and historical films) - "Battles without Honor and Humanity" by Fukusaku Kinji are real jewel. Film changed whole perception on yakuza in Japanese film 'cause there was shown reality of crimes.

I'm really into yakuza movies too! I'll definitely check out this Battles without Honor and Humanity.
One of my fave yakuza movies is Kawaita hana (Pale Flower), directed by Masahiro Shinoda, it's a great watch. And of course there are also Kurosawa's great classics like Yojimbo and also Drunken Angel.

Takeshi Kitano also made some nice yakuza movies, but that's kinda recent, I'm not sure he would already cut it into the classics shelf of Japanese cinema, what do you guys think? :)
Oh, I adore "Kawaita hana"! But my top is definitely "Drunken Angel", I was so stunned by Mifune's performance. Kitano's films are waiting to be watched. He's one of the directors which I still kinda "avoid" without particular reason. Well, so many things to watch, so many ;)
I can add Onibaba (1964). It's a horror movie, but well, since it's so old, I doubt it can be truly scary to us. I think it's one of the first Japanese horror movies ever.
First Japanese horrors were in theaters like kabuki (look Yotsuya kaidan which had film adaptations too) ;) "Onibaba" is a stunning film but you can cherish it after a while. But the ending is great, it made me think. This ending (at least for me) was worthy to watch whole film which is quite slow paced. After this, by the same director (Shindo Kaneto), I can recommend "Kuroneko". Totally different than "Onibaba". Not only because of the subject but style also.
Sleepy here. To make you move some little song. It's intro for the amazing film from 1966, "Tokyo Drifter", directed by Suzuki Seijun.

I hope you enjoy this oldie ;)
Aaah, Tokyo Drifter! I wanna watch that too! I only watched Youth of the Beast by Suzuki Seijun! Lately, I've been watching a lot of oldies... One I really really loved is Orochi (the 1925 one, not the 2008 one, of course)! Oh, and I watched some more Kurosawa movies...the ones I loved the most are probably Throne of Blood, Ran and Yojimbo! Sooo, now that we're talking about it...all uìyou people, what are your favourite Kurosawa movies? :D
"Drunken Angel" and "Rashomon", my absolutely favourites but still I have few films to watch. "Tokyo Drifter" is great but specific but well, it's Suzuki Seijun :D I've seen "Youth of the Beast" not long time ago. Before me "Fighting Elegy" and infamous "Branded to Kill". I'm a fan of this director, he's one of my favourites. What is funny - Kurosawa is not my favourite, he has his own special place for legendary artists who you must know. He's together with Mizoguchi Kenji, Ozu Yasujiro and partly ('cause he's my personal favourite anyway), Kobayashi Masaki. And gosh, I want to see "Orochi", my the eldest film is so far "A Page of Madness" from 1926.