Any movie with Mifune Toshirou in it! This includes: Yojimbo, Sanjuro, the Hidden Fortress, Samurai Rebellion, Chushingura, Seven Samurai, and about a hundred others, but these are my main recommendations. Most of the ones listed here were directed by Kurosawa Akira. Film buffs, especially Japanese film buffs, should make sure they watch one or two Kurosawa films. I went on a major classic Japanese cinema binge right before I met my current boyfriend of 3 years. Mifune came up in conversation on our first date, and I think that's how we knew we were made for each other! :)
Guys, give some lovin' for the classics ;) Anyone who watched one, write - I just ended "The Human Condition" trilogy by Kobayashi Masaki.
Hi there ! Has anyone watched the trilogy about the life of Miyamoto Musashi played by Mifune Toshiro ? I just finished his book (Gorin no sho) and I was wondering if it is good and where I can find it. I have to say that I never watched any Japanese classic movie so this could be my first ^^
I've seen it :) I'm not sure about streaming sites 'cause I don't use them. Maybe it's in Hulu but of course with all the payments. I recommend good 'ol torrents, there's for sure. It's a pretty good trilogy by Inagaki who is well known for his samurai films. You should give a try but remember about slower pace. I know from experience that not everyone like it.
I'm totally lost concerning Japanese Movie Classics... well, I have watched some by Takeshi Kitano but I don't think that's classic ¿? anyway, any recommendation on which one should I start with? or any director?
I just checked the thread now. Ok, classic doesn't mean to be old, but truth is, only time can show awesomness of some films. All depends on what you would like to watch. I got the picture of Japanese cinema and decided to check out the most important directors like Kurosawa Akira and Kobayashi Masaki who are well known world wide. Later I picked specific genres like samurai and yakuza. The New Wave etc. I'm never telling (or at least, I can't recall) check this film and this film. I can talk about importance of many flicks and consider them as a must-see. But just like I know myself - I'm not always checking well acclaimed films but those for which I have interest. Not all classics are "serious", some are blockbusters for fun (like "The Hidden Fortress" by Kurosawa Akira, or even "Yojimbo" and "Sanjuro"). Maybe it's good to start with more "fun" films than serious ones. Just think if you want to have a first shot with samurai, or something else ;)
Classics thread - :confused: ----> :D ----> :cool: ----> :p

Tokyo Story!
I haven't seen many classics (hardly 6-7) but among them Tokyo Story is most memorable film.
Still haven't seen this Ozu's gem. Shame on me! ;)
BlindedByTheShining wrote: Still haven't seen this Ozu's gem. Shame on me! ;)

Eww, I can't believe you haven't seen it! :confused: Anyway, you've seen 100+ classics so Ozu forgives you :p
Japanese made a way too many awesome films in their history ;)
Interesting chat here :)
Miri, join us. You know I'm patient and I'll wait for you ;) Tonight thinking about very weird film, hard to classify it as a stepstone in history of Japanese cinema but I think worth checking - "Gemini" by Tsukamoto.
Given that I'm relatively new to Asian cinema in general there's still sooo much I have to see! I love the classics & Japanese classics shed so much light into their culture and mentality. It's amazing! I've loved all the popular classic Japanese films that have made it to the west: Rashamon, Senses, Woman in the Dunes, Seven Samurai, Snake of June etc. Classics I have lined up to watch soon: Harakiri (1962) Midaregumo, also know as Two in the Shadow or Scattered Clouds (1967) When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1960) What do you think of these, Suede? I already know Harakiri is quite critically acclaimed. I look forward to more recs from you, my chingu! You're like my go to guru for Japanese classics! :p
Gemini isn't in the database?
If by classic you mean something that stood the test of time and is significant in the history of Japanese cinema, then the Godzilla franchise should be added to this list.