http://mydramalist.com/japanese-drama/571/majo-no-jouken

This is a much older drama starring Matsushima Nanako and Hideaki Takizawa as a teacher and student involved in a controversial relationship. I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread until now. Thoughts?

I liked the drama and ended up watching within the span of 24 hours (did an all nighter and then continued the next day). Since the drama is older the dynamic is different which made it interesting. For example, since it was made in the era before cell phones and widespread technology use, they had to talk to each other via online chat in the library, etc. In my opinion, there relationship was in no way plausible. I just don't think a 17 year old would be mentally mature enough to handle being with an older woman and instantly make the choice to be with her for the rest of his life. They made the mother seem like she was evil but, I think the mother was right in some ways...but her actions obviously weren't.

The way their relationship developed was cute but to me it seemed like more of a fling than a long lasting one. It really should've ended with them both parting ways. But it did make me re-think whether or not these types of relationships are wrong or right...they didn't really do anything wrong other than fall in love with each other, and they really aren't hurting anyone, so what's the deal? On the other hand, I'm close the lead heroine's age and I can in no way even imagine looking at a seventeen year old in a sexual or even romantic way. Nonethless, it makes you think.

And the ending. The less said, the better.
I'm rewatching it with my mum. She says she doesn't like Japanese dramas but she's cried her heart out at every episode so far. I think it's because Hikaru is so emotionally immature that he's able make the decision to run away with his lover forever. He lives a sheltered life with an overbearing mother so he's bound to want an escape. Michi is in a similar position at the start of the drama and she seems equally immature. They have a lot in common so they form an "us against the world" mentality, which brings them closer together. I don't find Hikaru as a character believable at all though. He strikes me as way too pure-minded and sweet for a 17-year-old boy.
I can never bring myself to watch this. I like Matsushima Nanako and Takki, and I'm not one of those who cringes at older women - younger guys get-up. But a 17 year old boy with his teacher? Urm, no. Just no. Maybe I'm too narrow minded?
Maybe. Not that it makes it any better but the teacher isn't that much older. I believe that she is around 23 during the drama so it isn't a huge age difference. And to the second poster: You do have a good point. I never thought of it that way. And yes, I find it hard to believe that any 17 year old boy wouldn't be thinking of anything other than his "love" for his teacher. We know how hormone fueled teenagers are.
I don't have a problem with older woman/younger man romance, but I don't like teacher/student romance because there's a lot of room for exploitation. I didn't get that feeling from the Majo no Jouken couple though, possibly because Michi is sort of a doormat and useless as a teacher. (For a drama comparison, the teacher/student relationship in Koukou Kyoushi 2003 is all kinds of wrong from beginning to end.)

Maybe if their relationship had been allowed to progress "normally" and openly it would've just been a fling? I agree, they really should have just gone their separate ways (if only to make the ending better).
This drama is really sweet. I love forbidden relationship type dramas but the only thing I hate is the boy's mother. She acts as if she is in love with her son.