Recent as in, the last few years maybe. 

I don't really pay attention to Japanese dramas. The subtitles take a long time, and they're difficult to track down. So I usually watch them a couple years after they finish, and I don't watch very many.

But I love the slice of life genre, which the Japanese do the best of. They're great at making beautiful stories out of mundanity. 

I also love thrillers.

But rom-coms don't do it for me, nor do a lot of those popular manga adaptions. So it's kind of hard to track down the hidden gems. 

Anyone have any recommendations?

I've been in a serious J-drama slump recently, and I'm having a hard time finding something that I want to watch (but this is true not just for J-dramas, but for dramas from everywhere.) 

Any recommendations for the best of the best J-dramas to get me out of this slump?

Hello Unidentifiable,

Have you tried Bread and Soup and Cat Weather (2013) ? It's one of my favourites.

I'd also recommend these

Going My Home (2012)

Nijiiro Karute (2021)

Let me know if you get to try those :)

I haven't watched too many jdramas but I started an on-going one because I found the plot very unique.

Nice Flight! - It is the story of a pilot falling for an air traffic controller. I really liked the airport setting which is not common for dramas from what I have seen. Also, they go through the various kinds of situations, a pilot and an air traffic controller have to watch out for in order to have a safe and timely flight. It dives a little into why an air traffic controller has such a stressful job. Along with that it shows what it means to be a pilot and all the people involved in making sure an airport runs smoothly. All these aspects were very interesting and made it more than just an ordinary romance story.

There is a dedicated subber for this show and you'll find the link on the MDL page. They have done a wonderful job even explaining the terminology used in the drama. I hope more people will consider giving this a watch.

You can check my favourite dramas here : Japanese dramas moonlight 

Nagi no Oitoma: A slice of life about a woman reinventing herself over the course of a summer.

Shizuka-chan to Papa: A slice of life about the relationship between a young woman and her deaf father.

I'm currently watching Silent (2022). Two episodes out. It's hella good if you feel like crying and making yourself sad. 

Higashino Keigo Samayou Yaiba: I watched it last year and I loved the story.  If you like crime/revenge dramas, this might do it for you.

this is a list of japanese drama s I've watched recently .if you like romcoms you might find some thing to watch