NHK's 2012 historical drama is titled "Taira no Kiyomori" after the 12th century general & politician of the same name. Taira no Kiyomori (1118–1181) was born as the first son of Taira no Tadamori (head of the Taira clan).
During his youth, Kiyomori help clear the sea of pirates in the area of Seto and then helped break down the noble system to build up a samurai-dominated period. Through the Hogen Rebellion (July 28-August 16, 1156), Taira no Kiyomori gained the trust of Emperor Go-Shirakawa. He then used this trust to eventually attain the position of Daijō Daijin (chief minister of the government).

Cast

Kenichi Matsuyama - Taira no Kiyomori
Oshiro Maeda - Taira no Kiyomori (child)
Kiichi Nakai - Taira no Tadamori
Fumiyo Kohinata - Minamoto no Tameyoshi
Hiroshi Tamaki - Minamoto no Yoshitomo
Shota Matsuda - Go-Shirakawa-tenno
Naohito Fujiki - Saigyo Hoshi
Hiroshi Mikami - Tobajou Kou
Arata - Sutoku-tenno
Jun Kunimura - Fujiwara no Tadazane
Koji Yamamoto - Fujiwara no Yorinaga
Sadao Abe - Shinzei
Baijaku Nakamura - Taira no Iesada
Takaya Kamikawa - Taira no Morikuni
Takahiro Fujimoto - Itou Tadakiyo
Shunsuke Daito - Taira no Iemori
Kyoko Fukada - Taira no Tokiko
Riko Narumi - Taira no Shigeko
Ai Kato - Takashina no Akiko
Emi Wakui - Fujiwara no Muneko
Emi Takei - Tokiwa Gozen

Starts Airing in Japan on January 8th

MDL Link:http://mydramalist.com/japanese-drama/3173/taira-no-kiyomori
I confess the only reason I first noticed this Historical Jdrama was because Matsuda Shota is one of the actors cast to play General Go Shirakawa Tenno. But after I started delving into who Taira no Kiyomori was and reading about this history of this man I became interested more in the story. I've never watched a historical Japanese drama but I'm going to give this one a try when it becomes available.
I'm going to watch this! Shota-kun- Hiroshi Tamaki and "L" are in it! Although it's obvious I first noticed it because oif Matsuda Shota <3. It will be my first historical Japanese drama.
"L" ! haha. I think I might actually watch this, I haven't seen any Japanese historical dramas yet and taking it one episode a week might not be a bad thing haha.
You all realize he may have that samurai bald spot hair cut right?
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: You all realize he may have that samurai bald spot hair cut right?

Of course...but it's still Shota-kun. :p
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: You all realize he may have that samurai bald spot hair cut right?

LisNoir wrote: Of course...but it's still Shota-kun. :p

Hahaha... My first thought exactly. If I'm willing to watch that man with his hair and amazing eyebrows dyed blonde or a hugenormous afro on his head...a little bald spot isn't going to drive me away! lmao ...It's Shota-kun!
jeanie65jh wrote: Hahaha... My first thought exactly. If I'm willing to watch that man with his hair and amazing eyebrows dyed blonde or a hugenormous afro on his head...a little bald spot isn't going to drive me away! lmao ...It's Shota-kun!

High Five! lol
I was looking through the new uploaded videos in MAC and saw this. Now to patiently wait for subs, which will probably take months...
LisNoir wrote: I was looking through the new uploaded videos in MAC and saw this. Now to patiently wait for subs, which will probably take months...

Really? Months? DC won't have it subbed since it's an airing drama? I've been looking every day! I need Shota!
Jeaniessi wrote: Really? Months? DC won't have it subbed since it's an airing drama? I've been looking every day! I need Shota!

LOL, I was kidding. It probably won't be months. But I think the Taiga from last year ended in November and there are still episodes not subbed.
i have never watched a japanese period drama..might give this one a try EDIT: there are 2 Taira No Kiyomoris but i'm not sure if it's a duplicate...hmmmm report or not?!...Jeanie-ssi if you are reading this can you check and let me know?!
KamZ wrote: i have never watched a japanese period drama..might give this one a try

I haven't either...lol
KamZ wrote: i have never watched a japanese period drama..might give this one a try

EDIT: there are 2 Taira No Kiyomoris but i'm not sure if it's a duplicate...hmmmm report or not?!...Jeanie-ssi if you are reading this can you check and let me know?!

Oh no! Duplicate thread or duplicate drama page?
*sigh*

This is a test...They are going to be testing my love for Shota-Kun...Jeanie, you were right..I think...lol