It's been weeks since I binge watched his drama and I loved it.  The cast are excellent, the evolution of the romance enchanting.  Definitely worth watching.   

Having said that sadly I'm still hopping mad.

The final episode.  I freely admit to having terminal Happy Ending syndrome.  It absolutely wreaks my head when the ending of a film/drama is needlessly depressing.   It happens a lot in Hollywood because some dimwit somewhere along the line decided that for art to be taken seriously it needs to have a tragic ending.   Life is depressing people so I make no apologies for the fact that I like my entertainment to be entertaining.  Seriously I'd add a post to Romeo and Juliet where they both wake up and live happily ever after if I could.   Which is probably why the ending of this drama really, really irritated me.  

Someone please explain the ending for me.  I've racked my admittedly average brain for an acceptable reason for the separation but have failed dismally.  Why in the world did the writers choose to separate the characters for so long?  College fine - I'd just about accept that he had to study abroad (if they kept in touch) but what about the extra 5 years?  They didn't even keep in touch.  He didn't bother to contact her when he returned to Korea.  He kept in touch with his best mate but not the love of his life?  Yet one tap on the shoulder and suddenly we're meant to believe it's happy ever after?  Seriously?  He could be married with three kids and just popping by to say hello to his old school girlfriend coz his mate asked him to...  After living abroad for NINE long years... 

Seriously if by any chance the decision maker for this drama ever reads this please know that I'd give you a hug for the first 30 episodes but a kick in the goolies for the ending.  (Just like I hope our FL did after the credits to her "love". )  Would you even still know the person after so long? Is there a season two which explains he was kidnapped by aliens and living on the moon and therefore unable to contact her?   Was he mistaken for a spy/terrorist and locked up in a CIA black site?  Did he forget she existed the second he got on the plane?  Is it some type of stupidity to show the FL can live happily without a man in her life?  Am I happy she's still bright, bubbly and successful in her chosen field - yes.   Did she need to be single to achieve this?  er... no.  Was he in a coma?  Was the ML actor (whom I adore) suddenly unavailable to shoot the final episode?  Everyone is human so I guess such an unfortunate thing could happen...but even then why 9 years?  Seriously 9 weeks would have been too long.

As I mentioned earlier it's been weeks since I watched this but the ending was still rolling around in my head - bugging the life out of my subconscious - it's the worst excuse for a happy ending ever.   I just don't buy it.  Did the Director and Scriptwriter suddenly realise they'd be in mortal danger after writing such a lovely and touching love story if the leads didn't end up together so they spared 15 seconds at the end to show them to show the potential for it all to start again?  

So if you managed to read this post (well done - apologies for babbling a lot of nonsense) can you figure out what they were thinking?  Not since Meteor Garden (I pretty much convinced myself that the cast and crew of that drama went crazy/ took mind altering hallucinogenics  after working so hard on the first 50 episodes and lost their minds for the last two - How you can shoot so many versions of the same story and still not manage to do the ending well is just baffling) have I been so bewildered by the ending of a drama.  Help!

Great explanation of the ending - and how a normal person would feel about being ditched for nine years! Made me laugh while I shook my head in agreement.

Thank you!  Seriously though I'm still miffed everytime "The Light of Hope" pops up in my playlist...  

Mind you I recently watched a Thai movie that also had a 9 year separation at the end and I totally bought it coz it made sense for those characters - so I can no longer say the length of time apart was the only issue - the ending here was just  "written" really really badly.   (Written in quotes coz 'thrown together' might be a better description of the process they used...)  

I watched the last episode only a few hours ago and came to this site because I thought, just like you, that the ending was a let-down. I was glad to see your post as I was wondering how that ending had been processed by others.

I like how you vividly went through the possibilities. I mean, the end is so removed from the brilliance of the previous episodes that the craziest things should be considered 😉

Here is my working theory, developed for my own need for closure and because I refuse to think that writers who have led us through such a wonderful journey would completely lose it at the very end:
I'm telling myself that Yan Ze and He Xin Liang didn't get together and really dated. Yes, they did the running-to-each-other thing to finally declare their love, but then reality kicked in. He had to go to the US (because you know, dreams) and the long distance relationship and promise to wait wasn't really an option for 4 years. Whatever the reason, the relationship stopped before it could really start, she mentions that they broke up. They didn't keep in touch because, well, breakups at that age and when you're supposed to move on with your college life and life in general aren't exactly the best conduit to friendship, especially if you're thousands of miles apart.

As time passed, she couldn't move on because of the way she lived her side of the love story. She's likely to have gradually discovered most if not all of the things he did for her. Moving on from such a slow simmering love while it never had the chance to get messy is harder. Every quarrel with him (and they had many) is revisited from a new perspective. She surely kicked herself repeatedly because she knew she could have had a relationship all those years instead of pining for her idea of a prince (desk-mate). Because of all that, she kept He Xin Liang as a paragon, the perfect one for her, making any other guy she might have dated after high school lacking.

At the school reunion, she was hoping to see him again, not necessarily to get back together but maybe to quell that need for proper closure, to really go over what it is that she'd understood he meant to her. When she shouts out of the cable-car, it is as if she'd never really told him she loved him.

Come to think of it, I believe the ending scene doesn't insult us too much as there's no kiss. It's initially a hug, one two childhood sweethearts or lovers-that-could-never-be might share after finally getting an opportunity to see each other again.

Because the story was told so that all the disasters in their love story were lived by him, because she'd been in his heart from their pre-teen years, it's easy to believe that he remained stuck on her while abroad. However, the possibility of having children and a wife back in the US only goes away when he grabs her and runs.

The answer comes in the run, initiated by him. He knows she's single at this time and the run is a throwback, a sign he wants to go back to the time or at least that relationship in which he would drag her to one place or another.

There! Now I can move on with my own life. Jeez, having to complete stories ourselves is exhausting...

Oh my God!  I'm so impressed.  I'll try to think of it that way!  Thank you!!!  

Still those writers....  shaking head in bewilderment - I don't understand their tendency to torture their loyal fans with such a lacklustre finale.  

Oh my goodness! Literally just binged watch the drama and finished this a couple of minutes ago and I was so pissed off with the ending. This to me from start till episode 30 had soo much potential to go on my top ten like GO AHEAD did. But, that few minutes epilogue just bumped me out. Im glad I found your rant, because I personally cannot fathom how someone like our ML could be so sweet, so supportive, so caring to AWOL for all those 9 years and without an explanation I might add. I also can’t believe how the production team didn’t hash out the ending when the cast and everyone have put on soo much effort (great job) with the growth, plot and storyline to just end it abruptly like that?!!! will we get an SP? A Second season or what ? did they loose some of their budget? or are they simply leaning towards ‘real life ending’ where its open ended and its up to the viewers interpretation whether its a happy one or not. I personally hated that ending, rewatch value went down to zero based on the ending. I will how continue to rewatch until mid 20s episodes. 

I totally agree with you and its almost the same case with dramas like With You & Remember my boy.

Dona Maria Thomas:

I totally agree with you and its almost the same case with dramas like With You & Remember my boy.

Thank you - as I still have to recover from this disastrous ending I will definitly be avoiding With You and Remember My Boy!

HCS:

Thank you - as I still have to recover from this disastrous ending I will definitly be avoiding With You and Remember My Boy!

Your welcome!

The difference you see in the other two dramas(when compared to 'Just an encore') is that the female lead likes the male lead itself from the start and not the second male lead...