Hi

I really love sageuk dramas,  like Dong Yi, Queen Seon Duk, Empress Ki, etc.

I tried watching Jewel in Palace (seems highly recommended and got good rating), but my concern is...

it's quite dated, the video quality is pretty bad, it's in 4:3 aspect and feels like from the 1970's to watch.

Question is, should I still watch it, ignoring this? Is it so worthwhile to watch? :\

ArniA:

Hi

I really love sageuk dramas,  like Dong Yi, Queen Seon Duk, Empress Ki, etc.

I tried watching Jewel in Palace (seems highly recommended and got good rating), but my concern is...

it's quite dated, the video quality is pretty bad, it's in 4:3 aspect and feels like from the 1970's to watch.

Question is, should I still watch it, ignoring this? Is it so worthwhile to watch? :\

Did you watch it on streaming sites? I'd say you'd better off downloading it if you can--I think it has a HD version too (not sure, though).

But considering that it's from 2003, the production value is definitely not as good as the new stuff.

I haven't watched it yet but it probably looks bad quality for you because you're watching it from illegal sites like Dramacool/Kissasian (the 360-480p videos makes it look more pixelated and even older than it actually is), the drama video quality looks pretty decent in 1080p somewhere else. 

Sunset:

I haven't watched it yet but it probably looks bad quality for you because you're watching it from illegal sites like Dramacool/Kissasian (the 360-480p videos makes it look more pixelated and even older than it actually is), the drama video quality looks pretty decent in 1080p somewhere else. 

Just adding to what @Sunset said, it seems to be available on Viki, so if you can access it from your region, you might want to try watching it on Viki instead.

kura2ninja:

Just adding to what @Sunset said, it seems to be available on Viki, so if you can access it from your region, you might want to try watching it on Viki instead.

Viki needs a "Viki Pass Plus" to watch the episodes, which I assume you need to pay for it. But finding k-dramas to watch in 1080p is easy if you just Google search for it. 

I remember Jewel in the Palace used to be dubbed in Cantonese back then (the Cantonese theme song was nice), I didn't watch it on TV but my family did (and even recorded it with VHS tapes). I used to be more into anime when I was a kid so I missed out on it. Maybe I might try the drama out for myself now since I recognize some familiar actors in it. 

It seems to be on Viki, but I get this message:

"This show is not available in your region"

So I need to find it elsewhere.

ArniA:

It seems to be on Viki, but I get this message:

"This show is not available in your region"

So I need to find it elsewhere.

A VPN will usually fix that problem.