AH :

lol!  Yes, the warding sign against the Evil Eye... or in this case, The Evil Dub.

Kokuto:
Yes, I saw that English dubbed version ... but I couldn't last more than a couple of seconds.

Even in the WeTV International Live, XL's lines just didn't carry the weight in English that they do in Mandarin -- even though I don't understand Mandarin.  lol

AH :

Kokuto:

lol!  Yes, the warding sign against the Evil Eye... or in this case, The Evil Dub.

Evil dub sounds about right. And the problem is that even with the dub, it was incomprehensible for me and I actually had to resort to reading subs! Definitely giving that version a wide berth. I don't even know why it was an option anyway. Would viewers actually prefer to hear the dialogue in a language they understand (even if it is subpar) rather than read the subtitles? 

liddi:

Evil dub sounds about right. And the problem is that even with the dub, it was incomprehensible for me and I actually had to resort to reading subs! Definitely giving that version a wide berth. I don't even know why it was an option anyway. Would viewers actually prefer to hear the dialogue in a language they understand (even if it is subpar) rather than read the subtitles? 

I hate to say this, but 'yes.'  At least in the US, there's sizeable segment that do not like to read subtitles.  It's why foreign films don't do as well here.  I can't stand the dubs, cause, as you say, you miss all the emotion and emphasis of the language and acting.  Ironically, the Chinese do so much dubbing of their own dramas. :)

I will say, reading subtitles takes a little training, and you always miss some things, cause you are busy reading.  That's why I re-watch alot.

Kokuto:

OMG!  Hilarious!  I'm so glad they noticed in China.  I felt like season 2 really had a bad case of STEVE intruding.

Yes! Someone should make a compilation of all the Steve moments in S2 LOL

Kokuto:

From JC-T Studio ... Sleepy Xiang Liu!

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:5060717834076171?from=old_pc_videoshow

Also on twitter if you can't do weibo.

https://x.com/aleen__leen/status/1817049037935378813

Just Tan Jianci as Xiang Liu lowkey flexing how good he looks in all angles hahaha. It is true though. Even the back angles look majestic (  ̄▽ ̄)

liddi:

Is there a special edition of LYF S2? I only saw S1 special edition - but it was more like 10eps worth of season highlights, and it didn't even end with Cang Xuan's ascension to the throne. Which streaming platform did you see S2 special edition on?

I have seen the English version of LYF S2 on WeTV... and suffice to say, I couldn't run away fast enough after hearing it.

Maybe it was just LYF S1 I didn't look too closely... What would they cut out? Who is the target audience. It's there a focus story? 

Regarding the English version.. some parts of XY or the ladies sound like they are speaking a bit too fast so I thought they were ai generated!

Oh.. regarding ep18. That was so painful. I kept stopping and starting like 5 times to get through that episode.....

MengXiang:

Maybe it was just LYF S1 I didn't look too closely... What would they cut out? Who is the target audience. It's there a focus story? 

Regarding the English version.. some parts of XY or the ladies sound like they are speaking a bit too fast so I thought they were ai generated!

Oh.. regarding ep18. That was so painful. I kept stopping and starting like 5 times to get through that episode.....

I think they did the same thing with Joy of Life.  They had like 25 recap episodes... so little over half the episodes, so people didn't have to watch the whole season to remember what happened before season 2  At least LYF kept it to 10.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use AI for the dub.  They are really going crazy with AI in China.

song:

Yes! Someone should make a compilation of all the Steve moments in S2 LOL

LOL!  The only Jing compilation I would be interested in watching.

song:

Just Tan Jianci as Xiang Liu lowkey flexing how good he looks in all angles hahaha. It is true though. Even the back angles look majestic (  ̄▽ ̄)

Preach!  That hair ...

Kokuto:
I hate to say this, but 'yes.'  At least in the US, there's sizeable segment that do not like to read subtitles.  It's why foreign films don't do as well here.  I can't stand the dubs, cause, as you say, you miss all the emotion and emphasis of the language and acting.  Ironically, the Chinese do so much dubbing of their own dramas. :)

I will say, reading subtitles takes a little training, and you always miss some things, cause you are busy reading.  That's why I re-watch alot.

Hopefully reading subs against the original language would find greater acceptance as time goes by. It is similar to my childhood days when TVB series were highly popular. The audio is in Cantonese, but the older generation used to watch the Singapore-dubbed Mandarin version because it was understandable to those of us who are not Cantonese speakers. However, now, looking back, I would opt for the original Cantonese, even if I have to read the C-subs. Dubs, however well done, even in C-dramas, often have the tendency to sound similar, especially when famous VAs voice various different actors, so you suddenly have the disconnect hearing the same voice coming out from a different face. Take for example the VA A'Jie, who regularly voices Allen Ren, Vengo Gao, Cheng Yi, and is also the VA for Gu Yun in the Sha Po Lang audiobook. 

MengXiang:

I believe it served as a recap of S1 while waiting for S2. I watched only 1 or 2 episodes and finally dropped it because I preferred to revisit the actual full drama itself, or the YaoLiu cuts when one is short of time.

MengXiang:

That is an interesting point. I don't know whether they are AI generated. Would AI generated voices be incomprehensible? No idea.

MengXiang:

Wonder how many tries I'll need to properly sit through it during my rewatch. Hm..

Kokuto:
Some alternate future mash ups from last year.

Saw these last year, loved it then, and still love it now. If I recall correctly, TJC watched the Modern AU version on one of his videos.

Incidentally, who is Steve?

When I was younger I use to watch the dubs but now I always prefer the original with subs as it always better portray the characters emotions and line up with acting better.

However, I do find that often the subs are a bit lacking. Sometimes a sub is strange or too short and I have to switch to original C sub or listen to the dubs as they do better or closer word for word translation. The subs have a richer and better transactions vs subs for some stuff, especially for historicals where the speech, culture and sayings are a bit different to the modern drama.

I think the English is definitely AI...they have been promoting it online on FB and IG.

As far as Tan speaking XL iconic lines in English, he was to focused on getting the pronunciation that he couldn't accentuate the emotion of the lines, which I think is a common difficulty when it comes to Asian actors. 

MengXiang:

When I was younger I use to watch the dubs but now I always prefer the original with subs as it always better portray the characters emotions and line up with acting better.

However, I do find that often the subs are a bit lacking. Sometimes a sub is strange or too short and I have to switch to original C sub or listen to the dubs as they do better or closer word for word translation. The subs have a richer and better transactions vs subs for some stuff, especially for historicals where the speech, culture and sayings are a bit different to the modern drama.

In any historical drama - be it cdrama or sageuk, I will always opt to watch with C-subs if available, since the nuances are far closer to the original compared to English subs. 

Made another chibi)) i obsessed with original photo he so soft there !

insideout91:

Made another chibi)) i obsessed with original photo he so soft there !

It's so cute and good. So many talented people here!