blabla100:
I still am unsure about the poem though, I honestly have no idea if it hints to Jing or to XL. Thing is this poem is very similar to the scene from chapter 20, when XY sang the sad ballad în front of jing. The moon, the willow, her drunken state... Idk, it's very confusing, I am 50/50 on this one. 

For the poem, you need to look at the main event/content of the poem. The first part of that poem was the memory (event happened in the past). I also see that part well match with the content in chapter 20 as you said. But it doesn't fit the content of chapter 49.  The 2 part of the poem was talking about a reunion at night between 2 people who had thought about each other, who had been apart for some time. The meeting happen while the girl was sleeping. So it fits XL. Not Jing. Jing returned during the ceremony

In addition, sometimes just a few detail or meaning of the poem fits the content of the chapter. Sometimes it is just the underlying meaning. For example the poem in chapter 47. The attitude of the author written in that poem fits XY's thought in chapter 47. Not the text or detail

luv2bafangurl:

@H19279

What did they do on the 2nd night? It's blank.

Omo Omo Omo… insert some fanfic here LOL. I guess XL was only lying there unconscious the whole time while he healed ‚cough cough‘…

he was just unmovable during healing. i don’t think he was unconscious :))

H19279:
Yes, TH left a lot of blank time.

For example FFB came to her bedroom for healing in Xuan Yuan. He came at night, the next day she got up, recalling the memory with FFB and XL. Actually FFB stayed in her room for 2 nights but TH did not mention what did XY do on 2nd day

Tong Hua did tell us what XY did the second night. She slept outside in the garden. 

• After the first night, XY woke up shortly before noon. She got ready for the day and made sure FFB was safe before going to CX's room to wash up and have "breakfast" (more like lunch). 
  • After eating, she went back to her room and checked on FFB. She spent the afternoon staring at FFB and reminiscing about their memories. 
  • XY observes CX return that evening, observes AN burst in on him with two women "gifted" to him by his uncles (as an apology for the insult of the search the night before), observes AN get upset and leave for Gao Xing, speaks to Hai Tang, and speaks to Xiao Xiao. 
  • Then she goes back to her room to check on FFB again. She notes that he is going to finish self healing (i.e., get up) soon. She was afraid to face XL and FFB together at once, so she left fresh clothes for him and went out to the garden. 
  • CX spoke to her in the garden for a bit, but eventually left. 
  • After CX left, XY stared at the moon in the garden until she fell asleep out there.
  • When she returned to her room at dawn, XL/FFB was gone. 

-----

Chapter 17:

Xiao Yao couldn’t open her eyes and murmured, “I’m fine, you heal now and after I sleep it’ll be fine.”

Fang Feng Bei rummaged through her boxes of medicines and took out a pill and fed it to her.

Fang Feng Bei then laid down and closed his eyes to self-heal.

Xiao Yao slept until it was nearly noon and when she opened her eyes, she immediately looked at Fang Feng Bei. He was still laying there with his eyes closed and she relaxed her worried heart.

Xiao Yao knew he couldn’t move but could hear so she said softly, “I’m going out to eat since I’m hungry. No one will come in, so you heal in peace.”

Xiao Yao got up and adjusted the curtains and walked to the corner to change. After she did her hair she walked out but all along the path she spread poison, and spread yet another layer of poison at the doorway before she felt she could leave without worrying.

Xiao Yao went to Zhuan Xu’s room where Ah Nian was sitting. Zhuan Xu was half sprawled on the pallet, the room was a mess, and his clothes were shredded.

Zhuan Xu yelled “Maids!”

The maids brought in wash items and he and Xiao Yao washed up together. The maids brought breakfast and Xiao Yao ate. 

Xiao Yao asked, “Find out why Cui Liang brought soldiers to search the place?”

“You don’t need to ask, I’ll find out.” Zhuan Xu left with his face ashen.

Xiao Yao finished eating and went back to her room. She was worried she would interrupt Xiang Liu’s healing, so she whispered “It’s me” the moment she walked in the door.

She opened the curtains and saw Fang Feng Bei silently laying there still.

Xiao Yao sat cross-legged on the pallet and quietly stared at him.

Last night, when she realised he was Xiang Liu, she felt no surprise at all. It was as if that was how it was meant to be, and the heavy burden in one corner of her heart was lifted, but weighed down at the same time in another part of her.

Zhuan Xu didn’t come back until the night of the second day all drunk with two women on each arm. She heard it was an apology gift from Cui Liang.

Ah Nian stood there for a moment and then turned and rushed towards her own room. Shortly thereafter, Hai Tang came out carrying their luggage with Ah Nian beside her.

Xiao Yao went back to her room and she held Fang Feng Bei’s hand and checked his injuries. His healing would be done soon.

Xiao Yao placed a set of men’s clothes beside him and quietly left. She could face Fang Feng Bei openly and could be all joking with Xiang Liu, but right now she didn’t know how to face both Xiang Liu and Fang Feng Bei at the same time.

Xiao Yao laid on the garden bench and stared at the moon.

Zhuan Xu came out and sat beside her. “Ah Nian left?”

Zhuan Xu left and Xiao Yao stared at the moon until she fell asleep.

She returned to her room at dawn and the pallet was neatly arranged but empty. Xiao Yao sat down and put her hands together and fiddled with the bow callous on her hands.

@blabla100

For chapter 20, TH gives clear hints that she does miss XL.

Xiao Yao took out all the floral perfumes she bought in Xuan Yuan Castle and mixed them with herbs to create four unique scents for Xing Yue that she could use in each of them.

After transferring, he could still practice archery because people thought he studied just for entertainment, but he couldn't make poison anymore and that made Xiao Yao feel lethargic.

Xiao Yao looked at the potion in his hand and suddenly forgot what he was thinking just now.

Xiao Yao sings a song about a woman who misses her lover and misses him and just wants to be together forever.

The last verse he sang three times: together forever, never apart.

It was a clear night with few clouds, a bright moon and faint stars. Within the evergreen forest, the flowers and trees shimmered and fragrance wafted over them. Xiao Yao sang and danced as tight as willows and as light as spring water. He moved with the moon and when he sang the last verse three times, he put his whole heart into it and his voice remained like silk in the air.

Xiao Yao had a high tolerance and even when he was physically drunk, his mind remained clear. But today even his mind was in a mess. Xing Yue started dancing steps and called Xiao Yao to join her.

Xiao Yao had dinner and then practiced archery for an hour before sitting down with his medical texts. After a while he would wander around the garden and would stand next to the flowers in a daze or lean against the corridor thinking.

Shadow mirror, Just like xy who hides XL in her heart.

"When a girl likes a guy, she will hide it deep inside her heart even making it seem like she doesn't like him.

Xing Yue said, "Another thing that left a deep impression on me was when we all went to play in the mountains. The guys all went hunting but Jing gege's legs were what they were so he didn't go. Yi Yang went with the other girls hunting. Xiao Yao, tell me, if your girlfriend couldn't go hunting because of her leg injury, what would you do?”

Xiao Yao muttered “I will stay with him.”

When Jing was facing his problems, where was Xy? Wasn't he just watching on the sidelines?
He is having fun playing with FFB.

If we pay attention in this chapter, Xy's attitude towards Jing is getting better and more proactive... after Xinyue told her about the misfortune that befell Jing, how Yiying treated him, and so on...

Xy has a soft heart and is kind to everyone.

H19279:
The eighteen windows on both sides are wide open. On one side, there are thousands of peach blossoms blooming against the clouds, and on the other side, there are vast expanse of blue waves stretching into the sky. The atmosphere is open and beautiful. (Translated by Google translate)

两侧的十八扇窗户大开,一侧是千里桃花倚云开,一侧是万顷碧波连天际,气象开阔美丽。

Separated by three layers of bead curtains, at the end of the hall, there is a woman in white, leaning against the window, playing with a crimson peach blossom in her hand. She seemed to be admiring the vast scenery of misty waves ( of the water), faint green mountains, and long white clouds, and seemed to be waiting anxiously and impatiently for someone. She unintentionally pulled off the peach blossom petals with her fingers, and the peach blossom had fallen to the ground.  (Translated by google)

隔着三重珠帘,在殿尽头,有一位白衣女子,倚窗而站,手内把玩着一枝绯红的桃花。她好似在欣赏烟波浩渺、青山隐隐、白云悠悠的景致,又好似在焦灼不耐地等人,手指无意地将桃花瓣扯下,那桃花扯之不尽,已经落了一地。

Even CX could recognize that she was like waiting for someone .Who was she anxiously and impatiently waiting at that moment?  It can't not be CX, she even didn't want to inform him that she awaked. Jing was very uncertain, almost hopeless. She was looking at the vast water, hoped for someone coming from the water. It implies XL.

Koala's translated this part of chapter 49 (in the 2013 edition) as:

Once it was readied, he went personally to Jade Mountain to pick up Xiao Yao.

Last time he was there, the Royal Mother was ill, so greeted him in her personal residence courtyard. Now he was led to the main hall of Jade Mountain and could see the puppet maids and servants bustling around decorating everywhere. He was confused and asked, “Did the Royal Mother’s health improve?”

The maid answered respectfully, “Her Highness is so ill she is no longer seeing guests. But she has chosen her successor and now all matters on Jade Mountain are being directed by the next Royal Mother.”

Zhuan Xu mused, “So the new Royal Mother has already taken over affairs on Jade Mountain." 

When he arrived at the entrance to the hall, Sui Hong greeted him with a deep bow. “Jade Mountain deputy general Sui Hong greets Your Majesty the Black Emperor.”

Sui Hong added, “No need to decide now, Your Majesty, please welcome inside.”

Zhuan Xu walked inside and saw all the windows open along both sides of the hall, showing the cliffs and blue skies of the vistas on one side and the peach blossom forest on the other.

At the end of the hall was a woman in all white leaning against the window pane staring outside, as if she was admiring the view, but also playing with a peach blossom branch and plucking all the petals off as if she were impatiently waiting for someone.

Zhuan Xu wondered to himself what kind of weird personality this new Royal Mother would have.

A gust of wind blew past as the maid lifted the bead curtains and blew up the peach blossom petals on the ground, and in that swirling moment the woman in white turned around.

-----

In Koala's translation, there is no mention of a "vast expanse of blue waves" or "vast scenery of misty waves". Unless this text was changed in the later edition, that seems like a google translate error.

I don't interpret, that last part ("At the end of the hall was a woman in all white leaning against the window pane staring outside, as if she was admiring the view, but also playing with a peach blossom branch and plucking all the petals off as if she were impatiently waiting for someone.") as indicating that XY was necessarily waiting for someone that she wanted to see. 

XY was dressed formally as the Royal Mother and stuck with the boring task of receiving visitors (who were few and far between) in the main hall (again, a formal setting) of Jade Mountain. A boring, stuffy task. And XY was probably informed well in advance that CX was coming - probably from the moment his carriage, winged mounts, and retinue of people were spotted. So the fact that XY is described as staring out the window (seems like she's not that interested in spotting CX coming, maybe even avoiding seeing him from a distance) but also playing with a branch and plucking its petals impatiently (seems like something XY might do when she's a little bit bored but also a little bit worried about the conversation she's about to have with CX)... I think that lends itself more to an interpretation that she was waiting for CX.

If I were to come up with a second interpretation, I still wouldn't conclude that XY was waiting for XL here. Throughout this chapter, the peach blossom branches and petals conjure up memories of TSJ for XY. If she was thinking of a person (other than CX) when she was looking out the window and plucking the petals off of a peach blossom branch, my next guess would be TSJ. 

However, interestingly, XY is staring out of a window on the side of the hall that faces the view. Not a window on the side of the hall that faces the peach blossom forest (that later reminds her of TSJ). IMO, that view represents the wide world that XY is about to give up for the peach blossom forests of Jade Mountain. 

As she thought to herself earlier in the chapter: 

In the past she greedily sought out the sights and sounds of the outside world but now that she lost everything, nothing mattered to her anymore. She was tired and wanted only a peaceful spot to putter around for the rest of her life.

And as she tells CX in this scene:

Xiao Yao shook her head. “Zhuan Xu, I’m tired. Let me rest now!

Zhuan Xu tightly held onto Xiao Yao’s hand pleading, “Xiao Yao, if you don’t become the Royal Mother I will give you any freedom you want, go anywhere you want!”

Xiao Yao got on her knees and raised her head to look up at Zhuan Xu. “Gege, please I beg you to remember all we shared and agree to let me be the Royal Mother. Give me a place to rest.

Even though she believed that she had made up her mind about becoming the Royal Mother at this point, I wouldn't be at all surprised if XY did have some moments where she thought about what she was giving up and at least felt sad if not regretful. Maybe those thoughts would include XL. Or maybe they wouldn't, given how things ended between them in chapter 46. 

-----

Chapter 49:

Xiao Yao walked towards the ceremonial stage with the assistance of the servants, and on both sides of the path were blooming peach blossoms.

Xiao Yao stared at the peach blossom forest and remembered when Jing proposed to her. It was on Cao Ao Peak on Sheng Nong Mountain, which didn’t have any peach blossom trees, but Jing knew her parents pledged their love under peach blossom trees so he used his power to conjure up thousands of miles of peach blossoms and as the petals rained down he nervously asked, “Tu Shan Jing wishes for Xi Ling Jiu Yao’s hand in marriage.”

Xiao Yao reached out her hand and caught a few peach blossoms and smiled.

Xiao Yao walked directly to the altar without looking anywhere else and the Royal Mother asked, “As custom, I shall ask one final time – once you are Royal Mother you cannot get married or ever leave Jade Mountain. Do you still agree?”

Under the peach blossoms falling around her, Xiao Yao seemed to spot Jing and she tightly clenched her hands around the petals in her palm as she smiled at him and said, “I agree.”

@H19279

@AH

At night, by Yaochi.

Xiaotian was dressed in pure white clothes, with her hair loosely tied up, and her feet dangling in the air. She was sitting on the railing of the waterside pavilion, staring blankly at the moon reflected in the blue waves.

Bijun walked through the blooming peach blossom forest, walked into the waterside pavilion, and said to Xiaotian: "Your Majesty has not said to

Bijun had no choice but to leave and walk into the peach forest

Finally, he looked back and saw Xiaotian still sitting in the waterside pavilion in a daze. Under the cold moonlight, she was all alone. Thinking that this picture will last for thousands of years, Bijun couldn't help but sigh.

personally I agree with @H19279

plus the fact that shir bi knows the relationship between xy and xl

@H19279

Isn't it Tonghua's habit to hide xy's deepest feelings towards xl above the fox.

I don't deny that xy has feelings for fox,he is the most suitable partner for her in the criteria of choosing a partner.

xy has a soft heart and is kind to everyone.

but her love for xl won't change even with jing's presence.

Sir Bi even said that he would prefer if Xy chose Jing even though Jing was dead.

So in the case of chapter 49, I believe she is waiting for XL.

<I decided that day to become the next Royal Mother and she was worried I was being reckless so gave me three days to think about it before announcing it to world so that I can change my mind. Zhuan Xu, no one is forcing me, this is my own choice!">

Is Xy really not waiting for someone? I think he's waiting for someone, and it's not jing.

windiaaa041293:
At night, by Yaochi.

Xiaotian was dressed in pure white clothes, with her hair loosely tied up, and her feet dangling in the air. She was sitting on the railing of the waterside pavilion, staring blankly at the moon reflected in the blue waves.

Bijun walked through the blooming peach blossom forest, walked into the waterside pavilion, and said to Xiaotian: "Your Majesty has not said to

Bijun had no choice but to leave and walk into the peach forest

Finally, he looked back and saw Xiaotian still sitting in the waterside pavilion in a daze. Under the cold moonlight, she was all alone. Thinking that this picture will last for thousands of years, Bijun couldn't help but sigh.

personally I agree with @H19279

plus the fact that shir bi knows the relationship between xy and xl

In the scene that H19279 and were discussing before, XY received CX inside the main hall of Jade Mountain. 

This scene that you are quoting from later in that chapter does not take place in the main hall. It takes place by the lake on the edge of the peach blossom forest. The same lake where the Royal Mother ordered XL's shell to be submerged (with XY inside of it) so that the water of the lake would help her heal. 

In this scene, XY is still wearing the all-white attire of the Royal Mother, and she stares at her reflection in the water. Like the earlier scene, I am inclined to think that XY is probably contemplating the fate she has chosen for herself. It's possible that she might be thinking of XL, TSJ, CX or a combination of them too. Although I don't think the text provides strong evidence to suggest that she is thinking of any particular person. Sir Bi reminds XY, again, of what her choice means and why it is such a sad choice to make. But he can't change her mind. 

I don't think Sir Bi's deep sigh in this scene necessarily has anything to do with him knowing about XL's relationship with XY. Sir Bi watched both Ah Heng and young XY deal with being imprisoned on Jade Mountain for decades, and he lived with the Royal Mother on Jade Mountain for hundreds of years. He would be very aware of exactly how sad and lonely the fate that XY is choosing will be for her. XY's lonely figure by the lake would still be a sad tableau for Sir Bi even if he never knew about XL's relationship with XY. 

-----

Koala translated the part of chapter 49 that you quoted as follows:

That night by the lake, Xiao Yao, wearing all white, sat on a beam with her legs dangling over the water as she stared in a daze at her reflection on the surface.

Sir Bi walked through the forest and said, “The Black Emperor didn’t leave, but also didn’t say he was staying. He just sits on the mountain peak staring at the direction of Xuan Yuan Mountain, not eating or drinking, and not saying a single word.”

Xiao Yao coolly said, “Leave him be. At most he can stay three days anyways.”

Sir Bi continued, “Xiao Yao, are you truly certain? Once you are the Royal Mother you are destined to be alone for the rest of your life, and can never leave Jade Mountain! It’s not too late to change your mind!”

“I know you’re concerned for me but I am truly certain! You and Lie Yang live on Jade Mountain all these years and are doing just fine.”

Sir Bi didn’t know what else to say and could only watch Xiao Yao worriedly.

Xiao Yao smiled, “It’s fine! Go rest now, starting tomorrow I will be the Royal Mother and then you and Lie Yang have to listen to me on everything!”

Sir Bi had no choice but to leave her be, but he turned back from the forest as he walked away and saw Xiao Yao still sitting above the water in a daze, her figure all alone, and he sighed deeply thinking that this tableau would continue for hundreds and even thousands more years.

Sir Bi mentioned a gazebo by the lake earlier, in chapter 48:

Zhuan Xu said to Sir Bi, “Arrange rooms for my retainers. I want to rest by the lake.”

Sir Bi paused then said, “Jade Mountain is spring during all four seasons so you can sleep outside. There is a gazebo close to the lake, I’ll have a pallet placed there with a net and you can rest.”

Late into the night, Zhuan Xu had dined but still couldn’t sleep so he used the fish ruby and dived into the lake to see Xiao Yao.

Zhuan Xu knew the reality but still refused to believe it. He didn't even bother asking Xiao Yao how she woke up from the coma and rushed over to her to ask, "Xiao Yao, why are you dressed like the Royal Mother?"

Does Zhuan Xu know that it was XL who saved her?

@AH

I didn't use the Koala translation text... I took it from the original Chinese text, it is a screenshot of the text from the novel that Cnetz shared in an article.

windiaaa041293:
@H19279

Isn't it Tonghua's habit to hide xy's deepest feelings towards xl above the fox.

I don't deny that xy has feelings for fox,he is the most suitable partner for her in the criteria of choosing a partner.

xy has a soft heart and is kind to everyone.

but her love for xl won't change even with jing's presence.

Sir Bi even said that he would prefer if Xy chose Jing even though Jing was dead.

So in the case of chapter 49, I believe she is waiting for XL.

windiaaa041293:
I decided that day to become the next Royal Mother and she was worried I was being reckless so gave me three days to think about it before announcing it to world so that I can change my mind. Zhuan Xu, no one is forcing me, this is my own choice!">

Is Xy really not waiting for someone? I think he's waiting for someone, and it's not jing.

I don't think XY is waiting for XL in chapter 49, but I do think there is a strong parallel between chapter 31 and chapter 49.

In chapter 31, when XY told her father that she and Feng Long wanted to set a wedding date, her father gave her seven days to reconsider before announcing the wedding date to the world so she could change her mind. 

XY spent those seven days on the shore of Five Gods Mountain, staring at the ocean. The heavy implication was that she was waiting for XL to respond to the message of the ice crystal ball scene (i.e., the mermaid's outstretched hand) by coming to her and giving her a reason to not marry Feng Long. 

When XL didn't arrive after seven days, XY decided to go through with the marriage. It was only in the middle of the wedding ceremony that XL arrived (in the form of FFB) to interrupt the ceremony. Ultimately, XY doesn't go through with the marriage. She later discovers that TSJ made a deal with XL, which gave XL an excuse to stop the wedding (I don't mean to imply that XL wouldn't have intervened otherwise, but TSJ's involvement is an important part of the parallel). 

In chapter 49, when XY told the Royal Mother that she accepted the Royal Mother's offer of becoming the Royal Mother's successor, the Royal Mother gave XY three days to reconsider her decision before announcing the succession to the world so that XY could change her mind. 

XY spent those three days staring at the view out the window of Jade Mountain's main hall*, staring at her reflection (when she is dressed as the Royal Mother) in the lake, and staring at the peach blossom forest (which reminds her of TSJ's proposal). During those three days, CX arrives and tries to change XY's mind. Sir Bi also tries to do the same. Neither of them succeeds. In the end, XY thinks of TSJ when she condemns herself to a fate where she can never marry another person. And then, in the middle of the ceremony, TSJ arrives and interrupts. Ultimately, XY does not become the next Royal Mother. We the readers (and Sir Bi) know that TSJ was only able to return to XY to stop the succession ceremony in time because XL saved TSJ's life. 

* Another interesting and more specific parallel: in chapter 31, when XY stands on the shore of Five Gods Mountain and faces the ocean (watching and waiting for XL), her back is to the Dragon Bone Prison where she and TSJ made their 15 year promises. In chapter 49, when XY stares out the window in the main hall of Jade Mountain, she stares out the side that looks at the vast view, which means her back is to the side of the hall facing the peach blossom forest, which later reminds her of TSJ's proposal. 

@AH,

i am fully aware that kaola translation was wrong for that part, it was not clear that one side of the window was water side. therefore i copied the original text in chinese there.  i  carefully check the sentence containing the info of vast wave of water (not wave of cloud). in the beginning i even consider to prove that the lake was huge next to the blossom forest. then i cross-checked the chinese text and figured the mistranslation of kaola. chinese text was in 2017 edition. google translate was decent enough in this case

The plot function of this sentence is to correspond to the following sentence.
can this be called plot description? Not an outline? Oh no, they said Tong Hua doesn't write outlines

Zhuan Xu walked in and saw all the windows open on both sides of the hall, showing the cliffs and blue sky of the scenery on one side and the peach blossom forest on the other.

At the end of the hall was a woman dressed all in white leaning against the window pane looking outside, as if she was admiring the view, but also playing with a branch of peach blossoms and plucking off all the petals as if she was waiting impatiently for someone.

Bijun walked through the blooming peach blossom forest, walked into the waterside pavilion, and said to Xiaotian:

Finally, he looked back and saw Xiaotian still sitting in the waterside pavilion in a daze. Under the cold moonlight, she was all alone. Thinking that this picture will last for thousands of years, Bijun couldn't help but sigh.

windiaaa041293:

Zhuan Xu knew the reality but still refused to believe it. He didn't even bother asking Xiao Yao how she woke up from the coma and rushed over to her to ask, "Xiao Yao, why are you dressed like the Royal Mother?"

I interpret this as referring to CX understanding what is in front of him (XY is dressed as the Royal Mother, and CX was just told that the next Royal Mother had been selected and was already running the affairs of Jade Mountain) but not being willing to believe it. In that moment, he didn't care how she was able to wake up. He only cared about the fact that she was about to make a decision that would make her miserable for the rest of her life and that would also condemn them to live apart for the rest of their lives. 

windiaaa041293:
@AH

I didn't use the Koala translation text... I took it from the original Chinese text, it is a screenshot of the text from the novel that Cnetz shared in an article.

Yes, I realize you did not use Koala's translation. I'm saying that a thoughtful fan translation from someone like Koala or liddi is often more trustworthy than a translation produced by google translate, which tends to miss important context and nuances and is more prone to translation errors. 

windiaaa041293:

Zhuan Xu knew the reality but still refused to believe it. He didn't even bother asking Xiao Yao how she woke up from the coma and rushed over to her to ask, "Xiao Yao, why are you dressed like the Royal Mother?"

haha, good point. Royal mother said to him that She can’t. he knew only XL or Royal mother could. then there is only 1 option left. it’s XL. XY can’t wake up by herself that fast