Kokuto:
Honestly, I don't expect Tong Hua to be absolutely consistent in interviews and appearances across a decade.

So I saw an interview where TH said something like  Jing was XY's lover. What should be understood? Jing was the one who XY loved or Jing was the one who loved XY.

According to freedictionary: lover (n): a person, now esp a man, who has an extramarital or premarital sexual relationship with another person 

Even in the epilogue, XY used the word [qíng lang] for Jing which literally means a man who loves a girl. 

blabla100:
If we are to assume that the drama depicts XL's thoughts that weren't shown în the novel, than I belive it's fair to say that XL was set on helping Jing and XY way before the 37 years underwater, at least that's the feeling I got from watching that scene from episode 29, when XL is basically saying to Jing that he gives up on XY în return for Jing's provisions for the army. I don't know how other interpret that part, but for me it is a clear cut, it goes to show not only that the army is his top priority but also that he is willing to give up on XY for the sake of his army. This discussion took part before the assassination, as far as I remember.

I do think the drama shows us more of XL's pov and thinking than the book.  But I wouldn't interpret that scene like that.  Regardless, there's a difference between set on helping Jing win XY and giving up on XY.  Also, that scene happened pretty close to the assassination and 37 years in the clam shell.  The episode starts with CX asking Feng Long to stay in town and watch over XY, at least until after the soon to arrive New Year festival.  And it ends right after the festival, I believe, with XY getting attacked.

I don't believe XL ever said he's giving up on XY in that scene -- and that's not what Jing viciously asked for.  His archery lessons and XY spending time were something beautiful between him and XY.  Jing wanted to reduce it to a job XL was doing for him and make him his employee.  It was a merchant's way of humbling a warrior and rival that he could never compete with.  XL could hold on to an exchange that was precious to him, or let his men starve.  And since he couldn't let his men starve, he bent the knee and let Jing claim his lessons as his own.

That said, I do think that's the first time XL had a glimpse of what his future might very well be -- which is why he sits alone in the dark drinking.

blabla100:
Also, IMO, if TH was to change the ending, as in giving both XY and Jing time to heal and mature themselves before getting togheter, than I would have personally started to belive that Jing was all along XY's main love and not just that suitable companion that she wished for. There is a reason why TH chose not to give them such power, I mean she probably didn't want to turn XY's desire for a companion into her love interest as well. Her love line was always XL, among other things, it was clearly hinted by the bugs.

Interesting take.  I'll have to think on that some.

blabla100:
Jing giving up on TSZ only goes to show that ultimately he did put XY's first, thus making him the only one who did fit her request, the suitable person who will never abandon her for something else.

This is pretty awful and pathetic for both of them.

H19279:
So I saw an interview where TH said something like Jing was XY's lover. What should be understood? Jing was the one who XY loved or Jing was the one who loved XY.

According to freedictionary: lover (n): a person, now esp a man, who has an extramarital or premarital sexual relationship with another person

Even in the epilogue, XY used the word [qíng lang] for Jing which means a man who loves a girl.

This has always been my point when the Jingers refer to that interview.  Firstly, lover in English doesn't necessarily mean true romantic love, though it certainly is used that way.  It can also mean anyone you have sex with or plan to.  All of CX's wives are his lovers, but I wouldn't say that they are his true romantic loves.

It says that Jing is XY's lover.  It doesn't say XY is Jing's lover.  They assume it means mutual, as in they are lovers of each other.  But Tong Hua doesn't say that in that interview.  And tellingly, when Tong Hua talks about everybody achieving their goals, she says that Jing wants to be with XY, but it doesn't say XY wants to be with Jing.  It says XY wants SOMEONE to accompany her no matter what.  If Jing was XY's love, why not say, XY wants Jing to accompany her?  Of course, for those who have read the book, they know SOMEONE isn't Jing, because XL asked her precisely that question.

I was wondering about the different words that are translated as lover and if they were signifcant.  Thank you for the clarification.

H19279:
And then they said that she was forced to make poison for XL because he threatened her and she feared of him. She was probably so scared that she put her thought, her emotion into each poison she made for him. She even asked her "beloved" boyfriend - Jing to draw butterfly nicely so that she could made poison in the shape of butterfly which is considered to represent for her. :D and then sent it to him for consuming

And her thought of XL stemmed from missing her mother etc...

Kokuto:

H19279:
And then they said that she was forced to make poison for XL because he threatened her and she feared of him. She was probably so scared that she put her thought, her emotion into each poison she made for him. She even asked her "beloved" boyfriend - Jing to draw butterfly nicely so that she could made poison in the shape of butterfly which is considered to represent for her. :D and then sent it to him for consuming

And her thought of XL stemmed from missing her mother etc... 

Blue text is my comment to Jinger's thought in black text

windiaaa041293:
Secret lovesickness, nowhere to say it, melancholy comes in the misty moon at night. ——Wei Zhuang's "Ying Tianchang·Bie Lai Half Year Old Music Book Jue"

nathsketch:
暗相思,无处说,惆怅夜来烟月。

Àn xiāngsī, wú chù shuō, chóuchàng yèlái yān yuè.

Secretly feeling lovesickness, but having nowhere to say it. I feel melancholy in the misty moonlight at night.

唐韦庄的《应天长·别来半岁音书绝》

It's a quote from Wei Zhuang (韦庄). He was a poet from the Tang Dynasty and he wrote this book of songs, I think: "Ying Tianchang Bie Lai Ban Sui Yin Shu Jue"

https://so.gushiwen.cn/shiwenv_866f6461b0ac.aspx

That's cool!  Thank you!  I wonder if all the posters have lines from poems?  Here's XL's poster.

H19279:

Blue text is my comment to Jinger's thought in black text

Ah!  Thank you.   Though I still wear that GIF expression whenever I read anything from that thread. O_O

LOL!  Eating the "butterfly."  Yes!

@kokuto

"I do think the drama shows us more of XL's pov and thinking than the book.  But I wouldn't interpret that scene like that.  Regardless, there's a difference between set on helping Jing win XY and giving up on XY.  Also, that scene happened pretty close to the assassination and 37 years in the clam shell."

I haven't rewatched the drama, but as someone who went into the drama without much knowledge about how the story will unfold (I started to read the novel after I finished watching S1), that is exactly the feeling I got from that scene. XL trading or giving up on XY for the sake of his army. At that point în time he already had his choice, but that scene also points to prove  that XL is aware that love wise he has more power over her than Jing had, probably because of the bugs.  I know that scene is pretty close to the 37 years in the clam shell, but what I am trying to say is that her assassination wasn't really the pivotal point that made XL push XY away from him, he already started to take this route even before that. Hence, I personally belive he never really visualised a future with her, but I know a lot of people think differently and belive that the assassination was the turning point for XL. 

Kokuto:

That's cool!  Thank you!  I wonder if all the posters have lines from poems?  Here's XL's poster.

If you ask about how long your lovesickness lasts, it won’t be until you meet each other. "Sauvignon Blanc·Sauvignon Blanc" by Yan Jidao of the Song Dynasty

windiaaa041293:

If you ask about how long your lovesickness lasts, it won’t be until you meet each other. "Sauvignon Blanc·Sauvignon Blanc" by Yan Jidao of the Song Dynasty

Is this the poem for XY, right? 

Long-lasting lovesickness, long-lasting lovesickness. If you ask when this lovesickness will end, unless it is when we meet.

Long-lasting lovesickness, long-lasting lovesickness. Who should I tell this feeling of lovesickness to? People who are unsympathetic and unjust cannot understand it.

The lyrics of this poem are purely in the form of a folk song, with the words "Sauvignon Blanc" repeated in the upper and lower parts.

In the first part, only meeting each other can end the love-sickness; in the second part, because we are not allowed to meet each other, there is no way to express the love-sickness, and the shallow lover cannot understand his own feelings, which contrasts with his deep love.

The method of questioning is used to express the deep and impatient love of a lovesick woman, as well as her hopeless and unable to vent her emotions.

@kokuto 

That said, this quote definitely is examined throughout the book, which remained consistent, even with the revision, I believe.

mmm... it looks like I said it wrong, I didn't mean to say TH's statement was inconsistent, but their statement about xy and Jing is love from beginning to end is not in line with TH's statement.

blabla100:
I haven't rewatched the drama, but as someone who went into the drama without much knowledge about how the story will unfold (I started to read the novel after I finished watching S1), that is exactly the feeling I got from that scene. XL trading or giving up on XY for the sake of his army. At that point în time he already had his choice,

But he isn't trading XY to Jing.  Jing specifically said, he wouldn't do that -- though he could have been lying or parsing words.  And XL wouldn't have been upset, if he went in with the intention of giving her up.

No, I don't think so.  Up until then he never had to directly choose between XY and his army.  He had to choose between XY and killing CX (which was an indirect choice), and he chose her.

blabla100:
what I am trying to say is that her assassination wasn't really the pivotal point that made XL push XY away from him, he already started to take this route even before that. Hence, I personally belive he never really visualised a future with her, but I know a lot of people think differently and belive that the assassination was the turning point for XL.

But had he pushed her away before the assassination?  He wasn't pushing her away here, though, as I said, I think he may have realized that choice for the first time here.

windiaaa041293:

@kokuto 

That said, this quote definitely is examined throughout the book, which remained consistent, even with the revision, I believe.

mmm... it looks like I said it wrong, I didn't mean to say TH's statement was inconsistent, but their statement about xy and Jing is love from beginning to end is not in line with TH's statement.

Ah, got it.  Well, Jingers got that wrong too.  I mean, XY didn't take one look at the beat up beggar in the bushes and fall in love.  She turned around and left him and his trouble to die. ;p

windiaaa041293:

Kokuto:

For some more information about Yan Lidao's poem of lovesickness

Yan Jidao Poem: Everlasting Longing – 晏数道《長相思·長相》 | Study in China (istudy-china.com) 

Everlasting Longing
Author: Yan Jidao

I yearn for long,
I yearn for long.
When may I end my yearning song?
Until you come along.

I yearn for long,
I yearn for long.
To whom may I sing my love song?
To none in love not strong.

長相思·長相思
宋代晏幾道

長相思,
長相思。
若問相思甚了期,
除非相見時

長相思,
長相思。
欲把相思說似誰,
淺情人不知。

Note: the red lines are the lines in the poster

@kokuto

"But he isn't trading XY to Jing.  Jing specifically said, he wouldn't do that"

Jing said that, not XL. I don't remember their exact words, I will have to check to see if I find that scene  on YouTube to rewach it, but to me that whole discussion was full of subtleties and cover ups.