H19279:
@Liddi

I found this. It's an idiom

The phrase “snake in the grass” is considered an idiom because it is a figurative expression that conveys a meaning different from its literal interpretation. T

@windiaaa041293

Yes I am familiar with the snake in the grass idiom but to my knowledge, it refers more to treachery, rather than hiding the truth in plain sight. However, the laitimes article you shared finally gave me the actual term used based on its original Chinese text 草蛇灰线 .  Here are some of the explanations that I have translated:

草蛇灰线  Grass Snake Dust Line
Grass snake, or the snake on the grass. If a snake slithers on a dirt road, it will definitely leave obvious traces. However, if it crawls on the grass, there will be traces, but not easily discernable. As such, it is called a hidden line.
Dust line, the line on top of the dust. A line that is drawn on dust is not easily found. When the wind blows, the line becomes distorted or even disappear, making it harder to detect its trace.

"Grass snake dust line" is a common technical term used in reviews of ancient literature. It is a metaphor for vague clues and signs that are provided. The "grass snake dust line" is a method used in the plot structure of novels. Its metaphorical meaning is like snakes in the grass, or lines on top of dust, which appear to be unconnected but are connected, corresponding to each other. It skillfully manoeuvres the subtle relationship between characters and plots in the prose, often providing hints using undercurrents and elusiveness which are not easily discerned.

So glad that this is finally cleared up. I was going nuts trying to figure out what "gray line of grass and snakes" meant!

Oh, the snake in the grass mystery has finally been solved!

Thanks Windiaaa for bringing us all these articles! So many hidden treasures to uncover!

And Liddi, thank you for all those translations! You’re so awesome! 

AH :
Ack liddi this speculation is so heartbreaking!

It kills me every time I think of it too. And the timing seems to match so... 

AH :
I agree. Although I think there were probably times where XL felt conflicted about his choice to a certain extent, I can't imagine him ever making a different choice to abandon Gong Gong and his fellow soldiers. Tong Hua's description captures it exactly. Loyal and righteous to the end.

@windiaaa041293 shared an article below which gives an interesting perspective to how there was a real possibility for the Shen Nong army to continue to hold out indefinitely or restore their lost kingdom, based on the analysis of the political situation at the time. If this analysis held water, then Xiang Liu could have hoped to survive and be the lifelong companion that Xiao Liu wished for, without ever abandoning Hong Jiang or his comrade-in-arms. If only...

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2840991&page=283#p2840991 

AH :
I love getting to learn about mythology details like this! Thank you liddi! ^^

You're welcome! Thanks to you and everyone here, I myself am learning more too with all the questions that are asked, because it forces me to look at the details of the text instead of skimming the surface, or just interpreting it based on face value. So thank you! 

AH :
I take Tong Hua's description of "sending a head full of black hair down his back like the Milky Way falling from the sky, flying in the sea breeze." as painting a picture of TSJ's jet-black hair flowing down his back and flying in the breeze with the light of the sunrise (bouncing off the waves) creating pin-pricks of light like a cascade of stars around that blackness.... The kind of contrasting line of stars and blackness that one would see when looking up at the milky way at night in Dahuang (without any technology like a modern camera). 

Yes. Based on this text in Vol 1 Ch14, and Xiao Yao's recollection of the same event later in Vol 2 Ch 9 (Chapter 26), I am still inclined to think that her reaction was solely to Jing, and not Xiang Liu. Though I would gladly be proven wrong later down the road if there are enough convincing factors.

AH :
Lol, yes. Or who knows... perhaps he's a humble renter rather than a buyer? ^^

You're right. It was probably a rental, in which case, Xiang Liu would be very busy with all the monthly added cost! We know for a fact that Jing was keeping an eye on Hui Chun clinic and even personally interacted with Lao Mu on his deathbed. Why would Xiang Liu rent/buy the place next to it unless he intended to watch over them, or staying close by allowed him to remember happier, simpler times when Xiao Yao was just Xiao Liu, without the complications and additional baggage of her real identity. I truly miss those times too...

blimarch:
There's a series of elaborate articles in the same vein, from this same forum website.

The authors gives a very convincing and insightful interpretation of Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao's love story.

Thank you very much for the article. Am reading it halfway, very moved by certain parts, not quite agreeing with others. Will share my thoughts when I do finally finish reading.

nathsketch:
And Liddi, thank you for all those translations! You’re so awesome! 

You're welcome! Yes, I am relieved that the grass snakes and gray lines are no longer a mystery too. Thank you too to all the questions that forces me to go back and scrutinise the novel / drama / script in greater detail!

liddi:
I often wonder... did that final battle take place while the entire wedding festivities were underway, which meant that Xiang Liu walked his final journey alone as always, the same time the woman he loved started her journey with the lifelong companion he made sure she would have...

Don't do it, liddi. The more you dig and think about things, the worse you're going to feel for Xiang Liu

liddi:
Xiao Yao is a contrary character... telling Xiang Liu she never wanted to see him again, yet disappointed when the person she saw after her suicide attempt was not him, then blaming him for saving her, internally complaining about her lot being bound to someone with nine lives, not knowing he had given up his life to break that bond for good. Her getting drunk with Lie Yang as they reminisced about her mother and cried together. How much of another white haired man was on her mind at the time - knowing that the bonds between them were well and truly severed with the removal of the lovers bug.

Her behavior is contradictory because she's not true to herself. She engages in self-deception by refusing to truly examine her heart and mind. 

I often see other readers praise Xiao Yao for being strong and rational in rejecting her feelings for Xiang Liu and choosing Jing because Jing could give her what she wants, while Xiang Liu couldn't/wouldn't. I couldn't disagree more with this more. Xiao Yao never rejected her feelings for Xiang Liu because she refused to even acknowledge them clearly. When it comes to love, Xiao Yao is a prisoner of her childhood abandonment. Her choices come from a place of fear, she's forever weighing up the pros and cons, looking to minimize the risk of being abandoned again. Jing is the safe option so her fear chooses him, but in her heart, it's Xiang Liu that she truly loves and wants. 

Kokuto:
2)  If Tong Hua had not completely and thoroughly erased XL from existence.  Like I said, if there was some hope of resurrection or reincarnation, or even remembrance -- even if it wasn't by XY.  I'd even settle for some acknowledgement of FFB's wish to be remembered, with the bow or something.

Xiang Liu will always be remembered, and what he did for Xiao Yao is known - not just by Sir Bi, but also A Nian, even in the novel. And Xiao Yao will always remember him too - her finally giving in to leave for the ocean is tacit acknowledgement of the love she refused to admit, even if he was no longer there to see or hear it. Now I'm making myself depressed all over again.

HeadInTheClouds:
Don't do it, liddi. The more you dig and think about things, the worse you're going to feel for Xiang Liu

It's too late for me. Now, I only hope to keep my thoughts from my daughter, who is already sad enough without knowing the full details.

HeadInTheClouds:
Her behavior is contradictory because she's not true to herself. She engages in self-deception by refusing to truly examine her heart and mind. 

HeadInTheClouds:
Her choices come from a place of fear, she's forever weighing up the pros and cons, looking to minimize the risk of being abandoned again. Jing is the safe option so her fear chooses him, but in her heart, it's Xiang Liu that she truly loves and wants. 

I agree, but I will argue that she allows herself to love Jing too, whereas her initial feelings for Xiang Liu that started in Qingshui town were never calculated. For me, she is perhaps the most honest to herself as Xiao Liu, and that is what truly drew Xiang Liu to her - because he could see the real person beneath all the bluster, bravado and cheekiness. When she took her place as Xiao Yao, her life was no longer her own, and she was bound by circumstances and situations that did not allow her to choose freely anymore. Which is why I miss Xiao Liu and their times in Qingshui town desperately.

liddi:

Xiang Liu will always be remembered, and what he did for Xiao Yao is known - not just by Sir Bi, but also A Nian, even in the novel. And Xiao Yao will always remember him too - her finally giving in to leave for the ocean is tacit acknowledgement of the love she refused to admit, even if he was no longer there to see or hear it. Now I'm making myself depressed all over again.

I was just talking about this on our other thread. I’ll have to take a break from coming here because this is all getting more and more depressing. I wish they would just release the second season as quickly as possible so we can finally try to move on. 

@blimarch

Yeah... It all started in Qingsui City. They fall in love. One is aware, the other is afraid.

She said that XL don't tease ah nian? Even though XL never teases Ah Nian? So who is tempted here? Xiaoyao.LOL.

As the article wrote, what xiaoyao did to tsj was psychological compensation.

After the incident at sea, and then they went on an excursion, Xiaoyao's heart was pounding fast. Does it make sense if it's because of tsj?

ZYHLJ:

@liddi

Thank you for the reply! Very thoughtful and inspiring~ Yes as you said that's typically her, always hide from truths she's afraid to see. I always believe in some way she could have saved XL. I know she had tried, but maybe just give a little bit more thoughts? I would try harder just for a friend.

liddi:
I too wish she could have done more, but to be honest, I think she also knew the world was such that it was pretty much a lost cause unless Xiang Liu agreed to abandon the Chenrong army and swear fealty to Xiyan, which he never would.

liddi:
If only... but then Xiang Liu would not be Xiang Liu, and that would have been a different story wouldn't it?

As frustrated and annoyed as I am with Xiao Yao's refusal to be honest and true to herself, I personally don't think there was anything that Xiao Yao could have done that would have changed the path that Xiang Liu had chosen. I think Tong Hua had written Xiang Liu in such a way, that pointed to her intention for how his story was going to end.

@liddi

"Based on this text in Vol 1 Ch14, and Xiao Yao's recollection of the same event later in Vol 2 Ch 9 (Chapter 26)" 

IMO the recollection from chapter 26 is a combination of memories from chapter 14 and 16, because în chapter 14 she really didn't play with his hair, she was just grabbing his hair when she called him sneaky. I don't really see anything tender în this scene, more like annoyance, honestly, sort of "I am trapped because of the promise I made to you that you keep reminding me of,  but you're not trying and you're not setting me free either" 

" Xiao Yao’s hands sank into his hair and she grabbed it “I can tell you’re a sneaky one, even if I want to forget it, you’ll find ways to keep reminding. You say you don’t dare hope, but then you don’t let go either.”

Chapter 14

"Xiang Liu raised his hand and pulled Xiao Yao’s hair back from her face, holding her head in his hand and carefully taking in her face “This is your true form?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re a great liar.”

@blabla ..youre right ...

Xiaoyao and the male protagonist Xuanxuan of the story line are mentioned many times in the book as being very similar. Looking at the emotional lines alone, Xiaoyao and Xingxuan both have three lines. The corresponding relationship is:

.Xiaoyao vs. Xiang Liu-Xuanxuan vs. Xiaoyao.

.Xiaoyao vs. Xuanxuan-Xuanxuan vs. A-Nian.

.Xiaoyao vs. Tushanjing-Xuanxuan vs. Xinyue.

Xiaoyao's attitude towards the relationship between men and women is the same as Xuanxuan's attitude towards power. They are being passively chosen.

"We seem to be two extremes, but in fact we are the same. We will not take the initiative to fight for anything. We are afraid that if we fight for something, we will make mistakes. We are just passively chosen!"

Based on this tone, combined with the corresponding relationship between the author's Yao Jing line and Xuanyue line, it is not difficult to understand why Xiaoyao's final destination is Tushan Jing. This is the same as the setting of Yaoliu Destined Be, which is the factory setting.

Because Xuanxuan is written clearly, his emotional line is very obvious.

Xuanxuan to Xiaoyao : Xiaoyao is his heart's desire, but he has been hiding Xiaoyao deeply until finally exposed by Xinyue.

Xuanxuan to A-Nian : A-Nian is the person he cares about and the person who is very important to him. But Xingxuan's affection for Anian is family rather than love between man and woman. Ah Nian has unrequited love, and he has no love for Ah Nian, although he has deep feelings for her.

Xuanxuan to Xinyue : Xinyue is on the surface, others think he cares about Xinyue, he will give her respect and dignity in front of others, and even show her doting, but in fact we all know, Xinyue is just his shield.

Xiaoyao is writing in secret, although I personally think this group is obvious enough.

Xiaoyao versus Xiangliu : Corresponding to Xuanxuan versus Xiaoyao, Xiangliu is the one Xiaoyao loves and the person Xiaoyao has been hiding to protect.

Xiaoyao to Xuanxuan : Corresponding to Xuanxuan’s relationship with A-Nian, Xuanxuan is the person she cares about, even the most important person, but Xuanxuan also has unrequited love for Xiaoyao, and Xiaoyao has no romantic feelings for Xuanxuan.

Xiaoyao vs. Tushan Jing : Corresponding to Xuanxuan vs. Xinyue, Tushan Jing is open about it. Everyone thinks she likes Jing. She also shows enough care and intimacy with Jing, but like her brother It wasn’t until the end that we realized that Fangfeng Bei was Xiang Liu, and Jing was also Xiaoyao’s shield.

I really tried to look at it from the perspective of Yao Liu's ruthlessness and Yao Jing's true love, so the author should write about Yao Jing's love for Xuan Yao. But I couldn't find any correspondence between the setting and the plot. On the contrary, Yao Jing caught a lot of examples of Xuanyue.

Let me write about this point simply starting from Miss Xinyue who is rarely mentioned.

Ah, I really feel...sympathy for her.

Xinyue’s path is really high(?) and low. Although Xinyue appears on the scene, it can be seen that she is a person who wants and wants at the same time, but she is also described as a graceful, long-sleeved and good at dancing woman, which Anian both hates and has to admire.

In the later stage, Xinyue decided to kill Xiaoyao for the sake of her love and love, which she didn't care much about at first, and the possibility that Xiaoyao would threaten her inferior position. She even did not hesitate to drag the family into trouble, which indirectly led to the death of her brother. I can't think of any reason except that the author wants to write a control group.

1.Xinyue and Fenglong were twins from the Chishui family of the fourth family. They were close at first and resentful at the end. One ended up alive (looking like a monk) and the other dead.

Jing and Hou (nominal) twins, from the Tushan family of the fourth family, were close in the early stage and opposed in the later stage. In the end, one survived (barely) and the other died.

2.Xinyue and Xuanxuan started out because of what she thought was a "life-saving" favor. Xinyue had a crush on her, but for Xinyue, if Xuanxuan was not Prince Xuanyuan and did not meet her conditions, she would not be tempted, let alone marry.

Jing and Xiaoyao also initially wanted to repay kindness, but for Jing, if Xiaoyao hadn't saved him when he was in dire straits, he wouldn't have "fallen in love" with Xiaoyao.

3.The essence of Xinyue and Xuanxuan is an exchange of interests. "Xinyue is not heartless towards Xuanxuan, but that love is conditional." Xuanxuan married Xinyue to give the Zhongyuan clan reassurance, and Xinyue wanted to marry Xuanxuan. Honor and glory. Xinyue seems to have countless choices, but in fact she has no choice. If she does not become the most noble woman in the Central Plains, she will lose the whole Shennong clan who defeated the royal family.

Jing and Xiaoyao also have a relationship where they each get what they need. Jing needs Xiaoyao because she allows him to regain his dignity, and Xiaoyao needs him because she wants to be with him for a long time. Xiaoyao also seemed to have many choices, but in fact she had no choice.

4.Xuanxuan got close to Xinyue not because of herself, but because of Fenglong and because of the Shennong clan that Xinyue represented.

Xiaoyao went back to see Jing not for himself, but for her brother. Not out of my heart, nor for myself.

5.Xinyue persuaded Xiaoyao to marry her brother in the early stage, so that Xuanxuan could gain the support of the Zhongyuan clan and achieve his respect. Xiaoyao and her cousin Zhuo Shi are both her tools to achieve high status.

In the early stage, Jing pushed Fenglong to persuade Xuanxuan to abandon Xuanyuan Mountain and seize Shennong Mountain. In the end, the author made up for it and said that he valued Xuanxuan. In fact, as mentioned before, he thought of a way to let Xiaoyao come to the Central Plains under his nose. . Xuanxuan acted as a tool for him to achieve his goals to some extent. Later, it was agreed that Xiaoyao went to "seduce" his brother in order to find evidence that he was cuckolded and escape from the unwilling marriage. Xiaoyao also acted as a tool in this matter.

6.In the eyes of the unknowing Xinyue, Jing and Yiying are a couple.

In the eyes of unknowing Jing, Xinyue and Xuanxuan are a couple.

7.Xuanxuan said that she sincerely protects Anian, unlike Xinyue. Therefore, he can exchange benefits with Xinyue without any burden, but he will ruthlessly make A Nian angry and keep her away from him.

Xiaoyao also sincerely protects Xuanxuan, which is different from Jing. Jingdu was assassinated, and Xiaoyao didn't even think about it to remind him to be wary of Fangfeng Yiying. If Tushan chooses to be Xuanxuan's enemy, she and Jing will never do it. (Tsk, tsk, tsk, your ice crystal ball was not sent to your brother’s enemy?)

8.Xiang Liu and Tu Shanjing had the same goal: to prevent Xiaoyao from marrying Fenglong and cooperate once.

Xiaoyao and Xinyue also had the same goal: to promote Xuanxuan to gain support from the Central Plains clan and increase their leverage in winning the throne.

9.Xinyue will not give up her position as queen to Xiaoyao.

Tu Shanjing would not give up Xiaoyao to Xiang Liu.

10.Xuanxuan turned to Xinyue, and Xinyue hit her head. Xuanxuan asked her what was wrong. Xinyue threw herself into Xuanxuan's arms. .

Xiaoyao vs. Tu Shanjing: Xiaoyao learned that Tushanjing was disliked by Yiying, and felt wronged for him. Jing said that if you don’t mind, the leg would be cured (haha). Xiaoyao comforted Jing, and Jing couldn’t help but kiss Xiaoyao. .

11.Xiaoyao "died", Xinyue comforted Xuanxuan.

When Xiang Liu died, Jing comforted Xiao Yao.

12.Xinyue cares about Xiaoyao, but not so much about A-Nian, because she knows that Xuanxuan's heart is for Xiaoyao.

Tu Shanjing was wary of Xiang Liu, but not Xingxuan, because he knew that Xiao Yao cared about Xiang Liu.

13.Ah Nian doesn't want Xingxuan to marry Xinyue.

Xuanxuan also did not want Xiaoyao to marry Tu Shanjing.

14.A-Nian envied Xinyue. She felt that Xuanxuan liked a woman like Xinyue who was smart, capable, articulate, knowledgeable, and knew how to advance and retreat.

A Nian doesn't know the truth about Xingxuan's love for Xiaoyao.

Xuanxuan envied Tushanjing because he knew that Xiaoyao wanted to be with her for a long time.

Xuanxuan also didn’t know the truth about Xiaoyao’s love for Xiang Liu.

15.Xiaoyao thought that Xuanxuan was taken away by Xinyue, but later realized that Xuanxuan was still his brother.

Xiang Liu pushed Xiao Yao to Tu Shanjing, but he knew in his heart that Xiao Yao had always loved him.

16.Xinyue married Xingxuan, but the marriage was not consummated on the wedding night.

Tu Shanjing married Xiaoyao, but the marriage was not consummated on the wedding night.

17.Xinyue saw through the secret of Xingxuan's love for Xiaoyao.

Tu Shanjing knew the secret of Xiaoyao's love for Xiang Liu.

18.Xuanxuan gave Xiaoyao Ruomuhua, which represents a lifelong pair.

Xiaoyao gave Xiang Liu an ice crystal ball to represent the shark and his wife, and the shark was also a pair for life.

19.Xinyue was Xuanxuan's public shield. Xuanxuan showed concern for her in various ways and was protecting Xiaoyao.

"Xinyue smiled brightly and took the flute with both hands. She felt a breath stuck in her heart, which was so bitter that she almost wanted to shout: Are you blind? Can't you see? He doesn't love me at all! He just Using me, I made you forget that as soon as Xiaoyao came, he broke up the banquet, so that when you think of this banquet in the future, you will forget about everything else and will only think of him and me playing the piano and flute at the banquet, and giving the flute as a gift after the banquet. . You blind guys! What he is protecting is the person he has been hiding! If you want to be jealous and hateful, you should also target her! But Xinyue did not dare to say anything. She could only bow and thank His Majesty. Finally, the etiquette was perfect withdrew."

Tushan Jing is Xiaoyao's public shield. Xiaoyao shows concern for him in various ways. He even tells his brother how good Jing is. Behind his back, his brother calls him "cunning" and in front of his brother, he calls him "kind". However, He never praised Jing in front of his father and grandfather. It was Xiang Liu who was protected.

20.Xinyue will observe Xingxuan and Xiaoyao secretly.

Tu Shanjing will follow Xiaoyao and Xiang Liu secretly.

From this, we can infer some things that are not explicitly stated:

1) Xinyue got what she wanted and got the position of queen. I can’t tell whether she was happy or not, but she was very satisfied.

2) Xinyue and Xuanxuan walked half a step back, while Xuanxuan and Xiaoyao walked side by side, and Xiaoyao might even run ahead.

3) Xinyue thought Xiaoyao would not appear again, but she didn't know that Xiaoyao returned to Shennong Mountain and stood in front of Xuanxuan and her. She didn't know it until a long time later.

4) Xinyue finally broke off the friendship with Xuanxuan and became the nominal queen of Zijinding alone.

The corresponding order of love lines is:

.Xiaoyao vs. Xiang Liu—Xuanxuan vs. Xiaoyao.

.Xiaoyao vs. Xuanxuan—Xuanxuan vs. A-Nian.

.Xiaoyao vs. Tushanjing—Xuanxuan vs. Xinyue.

A few more points to add:

1. Xinyue believes that Jing is Xiaoyao’s fire and Fenglong is water. In fact, Hong Leong has never been served.

"My mother said that a woman will always encounter two men in her life, one is like fire and the other is like water. When she is young, she will often want fire and desire to burn vigorously, but in the end, most women choose to stay together with water, and the relationship is dull. Keep it, the water will flow slowly. My brother may not be your fire and cannot make your heart burn, but he should be your water and stay with you until old age. ""

And Xinyue said that she was different from her mother, which meant that Xingxuan was neither her water nor her fire. She wants to marry Xuanxuan just because Xuanxuan can let her stand at the top.

This point is written about women and does not correspond to it. But Xinyue has never really understood Xiaoyao, so Xinyue's judgment cannot be taken seriously.

2. Xuanxuan and Xiaoyao discussed the issue of sincerity, and Xiaoyao said in confusion:

""How do you men tell if a woman is sincere or fake? Even if it is sincere, how do you know what kind of sincerity it is? You must know that there are many kinds of sincerity. Some sincerity has no setbacks at all; some sincerity can survive the eighty difficulties, but not the eighty-one ; some sincerity can only share the poor and lowly; some can only share the rich and noble; Some sincerity cannot be seen at ordinary times, but it is revealed in times of disaster; some sincerity usually respects and protects each other, but in times of disaster, the birds fly away into the woods. In fact, many men and women in this world who grow old together may not be truly single-minded and indestructible, but they just haven't encountered any test. "
Xuanxuan laughed, "Your string of words makes my head hurt. If you ask me how to judge specifically, I have nothing to say, it’s just a feeling. With a cold heart and a pair of cold eyes, one can clearly see clearly after having experienced it a lot.
Xiaoyao asked, " What if I saw it wrong? " What if you mistakenly regard your sincerity, which can only go through eighty-one hardships, as something that is unchangeable and unchangeable despite all odds? Xuanxuan
said softly: "You know the way to ensure that you won't make mistakes is to have a cold heart."
Xiao Yao smiled and wrinkled her nose, " I thought you had some good ideas! " ""

When Xiaoyao and Xuanxuan discussed Xinyue, she raised a lot of questions about her "sincerity", but later she regarded "sincerity, which can only go through eighty-one difficulties, as unchangeable and unchangeable despite all dangers". She took it out and said it again, explaining that this was her focus. Xiaoyao set various tests for Jing along the way, but she was still not convinced of the so-called "sincerity". She hesitated when Jing became the clan leader.

3. Xinyue said:

"When a woman likes someone, she can hide it deeply, and even act like she hates her on purpose. But when she really hates someone, no matter how much she hides it, it will show through her small actions."

What Xinyue said was that Yiying hated Jing, and it was Hou that Yiying "hidden very deeply". It was Xiang Liu who hid Xiaoyao from beginning to end.

liddi:

No. They totally removed any scene with the shaman king. Any information about the bug is scattered between the old Lirong donkey seller, and the Royal Mother of Jade Mountain. So unless I missed the detail in the leaked script, Xiao Yao never finds out about the true nature of the bug either.

We also lose the scene where they both listened to the song of the merpeople together - her on the ship, him on the sea after she left Bai Li and the implications of their shared intimacy, and her trying to jump into the water after him but being pulled back at the last minute by a panicked Jing.

Urg!!! Of course they did. Anyone with discernment watching the Voodoo King scene would probably pick up Tong Hua's true intention for that scene. I can just imagine Yang Zi's XY acting all fake cheerful and Deng Wei's Jing smiling at her awkwardly in reassurance. 

And the second scene as well. We can't have an engaged woman completely forgetting about her fiancee standing right behind her in her pursuit of another man.

They really are determined to push the 1:1 pairing and reduce XL's feelings to an unrequited love, which makes him not all that different from the thousands of second-male leads out there. I feel this really butchered the essence of the story. It's not an adaptation anymore, it's more of "inspired by".

@windiaaa

This is from chapter 33, so after the discussion she had with TianEr. She was talking to A-Nian about why she ran away from her wedding, but was she really referring only to Feng Long? 

"My running away from the wedding impacted a lot of people but actually the fundamental reason is that I don’t love Feng Long. You know that liking someone is something that can’t stop you, and not liking someone gives you any reason to end it.

Could it be that she was referring to Jing too? Liking someone is something that can't stop you no matter what... She never took a back seat in regards to XL, but how about Jing?  Why was she feeling guilty of? 

"Xan Tian Er said that a person’s life was liking walking a mountain road with no clue what to expect. People want a partner for the walk to assist and help. I promised to walk the road with you but I was always pessimistically waiting. It was like if we went to climb a mountain and agreed to do it together, but when I saw you heading down the wrong path, I didn’t stop you and let you continue the wrong way. So I saw a drop and didn’t help you from falling and instead stood to the side watching coldly"

I never truly believed in you and I didn’t want to make the effort first. So when what I expected happened, I felt like it was exactly as I predicted! I know people can’t be trusted! But I didn’t know that what we put in is what we get back. We need to make the effort to achieve the ending we want. Xan Tian Er said that I never planted the seeds and tilled the fieldhow can I expect to reap the crop in the end?”

Not to mention the obvious, but even when she did start to put the effort into her relationship with Jing, which was AFTER XL killed FFB, she still delayed the wedding day by 42 years!