AH :
My impression, based on WXL's behaviour (including her very respectful mannerisms and speech), was that she definitely didn't suspect or sense that the demon woman was XL in disguise when she was on the boat. If she did, that would make the rejection at the end of the encounter much worse / much more painful for me. 

blabla100:

I guess I am the only one, but I  have the impression that by the end of the scene, WXL kinda did sense that the woman on the boat was XL.  Also,  IMO it was easier for XY to spot XL later on because their feelings grow even more, a baby tiger is not the same as a hundred years tiger.

Kokuto:

Well, I would be kinda suspicious with the merman delivery service.

The S1 script describes the delivery service simply as a minor demon with scales on his face. It does not specifically describe him as a merman. So he should be just a water demon.

I have a love/hate relationship with this scene, which is identified as an important scene in the script. The manipulation of the weather, the rocking of the boat to ensure they were in close physical proximity, while amusing, felt very "un-Xiang Liu". However, I love that he got to hear her honest, glowing opinion of himself, and he got to tell her indirectly that he misses and worries about her, asking her to come home since the company she was keeping did not seem to share the same purpose as her.

I never felt that Xiao Liu knew the woman on the boat was Xiang Liu. Rather, my take was that the woman's words gave her food for thought, being reminded that there are those who miss and care for her deeply, and her state of mind affects them too.

Actually, their meeting in this scene was not planned. Xiang Liu was leaving Zhi Yi City after sorting out the provisions for the Shen Nong resistance army when Xiao Liu happened to flag down their boat. Since Xiang Liu noticed her first and disguised himself, he would have made sure she could not detect who he really was. Else there would have been no point to the disguise to begin with.

Initially, I disliked the the pretext of falling into Xiao Liu's lap to draw her eyes from the couple on the bridge, feeling it unnecessary and forced. However, when I thought about it, it makes sense. At this point in time, she was still Wen Xiao Liu, and had just come away from being in the presence of Jing and Yi Ying acting loving towards him, keenly feeling envious and inferior in the face of Yi Ying's grace and beauty. 

The equivalent scene in the novel should be the following:

Red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple... fireworks of various colors and shapes bloomed above the boat, casting a clear light on the two figures standing at the bow. The man wore a sky-blue garment, standing quietly with an elegant, graceful demeanor, reminiscent of green cypress and bamboo in a mountain stream. The woman was tall, dressed in a water-red embroidered gown that trailed on the ground and defined her waist which was so slender it could be held with a mere grip. She seemed to be intoxicated, her head tilted back in surprise as she watched the fireworks, staggering a few steps, her body swaying unsteadily and nearly falling. The man reached out to steady her, and she leaned softly against him, like a beautiful, entwining vine flower.

As the boat gradually sailed away, taking the colourful fireworks with it, the crowd slowly dispersed.

Xiao Liu remained standing on the riverbank, staring at the darkened river. It was strange. Yi Ying was not the most beautiful woman Xiao Liu had ever seen, yet under the fireworks, the way she stumbled, fell, twisted her body to be helped up, leaned softly, all carried a kind of delicate grace unique to women. Such beauty struck Xiao Liu deeply, and made Xiao Liu who had lived as a man for about two hundred years, both envious and ashamed.

-- Vol 1 Ch12 

Seeing the couple on the bridge reminds her of Jing and Yi Ying, thus she was downcast once more after her spirits were previously lifted by the boat excursion with the veiled woman and the partaking of snacks, her remembering how good Xiang Liu was.

The script specifically describes the couple on the bridge thus:

As Wen Xiao Liu smiled looking at the sky filled with fireworks, she accidentally saw a young couple sitting by the river bank. The man was wearing linen robes (similarly dressed as Ye Shi Qi). The girl was also simply dressed, but her clothes were striking and beautiful. The man took a lotus leaf dumpling from the bamboo basket next to him and gave it to the girl, which she happily ate as the man gazed at her with a smile. Their smiles were sweet and intimate. Xiao Liu looked at them, stunned, and the smile on her face gradually faded, her expression somewhat sorrowful.

-- S01E17  (originally S01E15 leaked script, scene 22)

So, I believe that more than jealousy, Xiang Liu did it to distract her away from the sight of the couple and break her train of sad thoughts. While he did drop her off apparently piqued when she disagreed that they looked compatible since they were just passer-bys who met, he still continued proceeded to remind her of her own worth, that there are those who miss and worry about her, to whom she matters. The script says this:

F-XL: The next time you are unhappy, think about those who miss and worry about you. He... they are not happy if you are not happy.
:
Xiao Liu stared at the disappearing canopied boat, then resignedly turned around and slowly walked along the river bank, carrying the food container. Fireworks lit the skies once more. Wen Xiao Liu gazed at the sky, then lowered his head to look at the container. 

WXL (murmuring): Those who miss and worry about me?

-- S01E17  (originally S01E16 leaked script, scene 1)

Still, I don't believe that she had any indication the veiled woman was Xiang Liu, merely that she was recalling her words, and slowly allowing it to sink in.

In the next scene, she goes on to confide in Cang Xuan that she wanted to wear a beautiful dress, not because of Jing, but because she had not been a woman for so many years, and had almost forgotten she was one too. So it was her slowly adjusting her mindset to becoming a woman once more and facing her fears of potentially disappointing those she cared about when she did, while being reaffirmed by Cang Xuan as well, that she would never disappoint them.

liddi:
The S1 script describes the delivery service simply as a minor demon with scales on his face. It does not specifically describe him as a merman. So he should be just a water demon.

Thanks for confirming! ^^

liddi:
The manipulation of the weather the rocking of the boat to ensure they were in close physical proximity, while amusing, felt very "un-Xiang Liu".

I completely agree. IMO, Novel!XL would never. 

liddi:
However, I love that he got to hear her honest, glowing opinion of himself, and he got to tell her indirectly that he misses and worries about her, asking her to come home since the company she was keeping did not seem to share the same purpose as her.

Agreed <3

liddi:
I never felt that Xiao Liu knew the woman on the boat was Xiang Liu. Rather, my take was that the woman's words gave her food for thought, being reminded that there are those who miss and care for her deeply, and her state of mind affects them too.

liddi:
I don't believe that she had any indication the veiled woman was Xiang Liu, merely that she was recalling her words, and slowly allowing it to sink in.

Same. I can see that there's room for interpretation and totally understand how some viewers might conclude that she was suspecting by the end of the scene, but I that wasn't my impression when I watched it and even after thinking about it and re-watching it I prefer to think that she didn't suspect. 

liddi:
Actually, their meeting in this scene was not planned. Xiang Liu was leaving Zhi Yi City after sorting out the provisions for the Shen Nong resistance army when Xiao Liu happened to flag down their boat.

Feels a bit like the drama writers were adding some extra fate to the mix for YaoLiu.

That's making me think... it really seems like an exceptional coincidence, or a bit more fate at work, that XL's alter-ego for the past 400+ years just so happened to be FFYY's younger brother (a brother with no responsibility and knowledge of the Fangfeng family's special archery skills)... someone who had a ready-made excuse to attend the same functions as her and her fiance and to become acquainted with her acqaintences. 

liddi:
Since Xiang Liu noticed her first and disguised himself, he would have made sure she could not detect who he really was. Else there would have been no point to the disguise to begin with.

That makes sense. 

liddi:
Initially, I disliked the the pretext of falling into Xiao Liu's lap to draw her eyes from the couple on the bridge, feeling it unnecessary and forced. However, when I thought about it, it makes sense. At this point in time, she was still Wen Xiao Liu, and had just come away from being in the presence of Jing and Yi Ying acting loving towards him, keenly feeling envious and inferior in the face of Yi Ying's grace and beauty. 

liddi:
Xiang Liu did it to distract her away from the sight of the couple and break her train of sad thoughts.

Agreed. It's a bit hammy and forced, but the idea behind the action was nice. 

Perhaps the drama writers thought it would be good to add a scene like this with XL using his own body to physically distract XY from sad thoughts in a very obvious way because it's so hard to convey on screen all the times that XL used the bug connection to speed up XY's hearbeat so that she would be jolted out of / physically distracted from / physically incapable of maintaining very sad and painful trains of thought (as he did in chapter 25 and chapter 26, for example)?

They did adapt the chapter 26 scene of course in episode 37, but its very hard for viewers who have not read the novel to understand all of the dynamics of that scene in terms of what XL was doing and why he did it. 

-----

Chapter 25:

Xiao Yao stared at the water clock and the minute hand was getting closer to the time of the wedding. Right now Jing and Yi Yang must be standing in the ceremonial hall. The water dropped one by one and each drop was like a poison dropping on Xiao Yao’s heart. It pierced her through into hundreds and thousands of pockmarks. Xiao Yao knew she shouldn’t think about it but it was like she was possessed and she stared at the water clock thinking of when Jing would say his vows.

The Tu Shan residence must be decked out and bustling with activity.

Jing wearing a groom outfit, standing side-by-side with Yi Yang.

The officiant calling out as Jing and Yi Yang started to go through the wedding rites. Yi Yang got her wish come true and she must be thrilled, but what about Jing? What was his expression….

Xiao Yao suddenly felt her heart beating wildly and was so unexpected she couldn’t catch her breath and it banished all the images in her mind.

Zhuan Xu asked, “Are you feeling sick?”

Xiao Yao shook her head. “No! But a bit stuffy and suddenly want some fresh air.”

Xiao Yao rushed out the door and Zhuan Xu hurriedly draped a fur cloak around her. Xiao Yao stood in the courtyard staring up at the blue sky. Why did Xiang Liu suddenly make her feel his presence? Did he feel her pain? Or was it because he was currently in Qing Qiu watching Yi Yang and Jing get married and remembered she might not be happy about it? Was he mocking her? Or trying to console her?

Zhuan Xu asked, “What are you thinking about?”

Xiao Yao said, “I suddenly remembered the voodoo bug I planted in Xiang Liu. My body’s pain, he has to feel all of it. But what about my heartache? Does he also need to endure it? He said he has nine bodies so my pain isn’t too much for him to endure. But what about the heart? He only has one heart!”

Zhuan Xu grabbed Xiao Yao by the shoulders and harshly said, “I don’t care what your relationship with him was in Qing Shui Town. Do not remain close to him now!”

Xiao Yao smiled bitterly. “I know!”

Zhuan Xu said ,“Even though you keep saying the bug has no ill effects, when you’re all better it’s best to find a way to remove it.”

“Yes!”

Xiao Yao stared at the blue sky and quietly felt her heart beating as one with another heart. The pressure and pain on her heart lessened, probably because another heart was taking some of the burden from her.

Xiao Yao got better and she started making poisons again.

-----

Chapter 26:

Xiao Yao hadn’t seen Jing in over a year and seeing him like this, Xiao Yao maintained her smile and quietly stood next to the Xi Ling clan leader. She remembered in the ocean when he let his hair loose, the stirring in her heart. She remembered twining his hair around her fingers, each strand was a longing. Everything felt like yesterday but it was already black hair turned white and all longing severed.

Xiao Yao felt her heart was being clawed at by a large hand, so painful it was like being ripped apart. She could only keep smiling when suddenly she felt her heart violently beating. Xiao Yao couldn’t maintain her fake smile anymore, much like a person could endure severe pain without any change in expression yet couldn’t control exhibiting bodily reaction to intense exercise. Xiao Yao clutched her chest and took a few deep breaths.

Xing Yue hurriedly assisted her and asked in concern, “Are you okay?”

Xiao Yao smiled and shook her head. The Xi Ling clan leader saw her face flushed bright red and quickly said, “I remember your constitution is not strong. Hurry and sit down to rest.”

Xing Yue helped Xiao Yao to sit down at Jing’s table.

Jing anxiously put one hand on Xiao Yao’s wrist while his other clutched the wine cup and transformed the wine into a fog. Everyone knew the Tu Shan clan had the power to mystify which was very useful for taking away pain. No one thought it weird what Jing was doing.

Her heart continued to beat wildly and strongly, so much that she felt like all her blood was rushing into her head. Xiao Yao couldn’t control it and muttered under her breath, “Xiang Liu, will you cut it out already?”

Everyone only heard “cut it out already”, but Jing was sitting closest to her and he was completely familiar with Xiao Yao’s voice, so he heard every word she said.

Her heartbeat started to return to normal and Xiao Yao gently pulled her hand away from Jing. “Thank you, I’m fine now.”

The pain in my heart, do you feel it?” Xiao Yao’s face turned red, not clear if it was over embarrassment or frustration. The reason the heart was tucked deep inside the body was so that people’s feelings, whether it was happiness or sorrow, would remain concealed. But right now her heart felt like it was stark naked before Xiang Liu, like she was stripped naked before him to observe.

Xiang Liu softly chuckled. “If you’re afraid I will feel everything, then stop tormenting yourself. If your heart doesn’t hurt, then I’ll be better off as well.”

Xiao Yao heard the last thing he said and immediately perked up. “If my body hurts 9/10th, then you hurt 1/10th. But if my heart hurts, does your heart hurt just as much?”

Xiang Liu honestly said, “Yes! If your heart hurts, my heart hurts just as much. What of it? Are you planning to use that to reckon with me?”

Xiao Yao was silent. He was right! She could inflict bodily pain on herself, but she couldn’t make happiness or sadness.

Xiang Liu suddenly said, “I’m a killer for hire sometimes.”

Xiao Yao looked quizzically at him and he said slowly, “If you pay, I can kill Fang Feng Yi Yang and her child for you.”

Xiao Yao smiled wanly. “That is like the worst idea ever!”

Xiang Liu said in a half sincere half joking way, “Then you stop giving yourself heartache in the future. If you keep causing trouble for me, maybe I’ll decide to kill you!”

Xiao Yao pouted, “I didn’t force you to take the voodoo bug into your body years ago.”

“Years ago, I knew you were useless and would often get injured. But I didn’t know you were this foolish and couldn’t even protect your own heart.”

Xiao Yao opened her mouth like she wanted to argue back but said nothing. She dejectedly lowered her head like a wilted sunflower.

A winged horse trotted over and Xiang Liu vaulted on its back. “Want to go?”

Xiao Yao raised her head and stared at Xiang Liu. “Where?”

“The ocean.”

Xiao Yao hesitated, this wasn’t Qing Shui Town, the ocean was very far from the Middle Plains.

Xiang Liu didn’t rush her as his hand held the reins and he stared into the vast distance. The winged horse was also silent and stepped quietly in place.

Xiao Yao couldn’t control her body and soul longing for the vast expanse of the ocean and she leaped up. “Let’s go to the ocean.”

Xiang Liu turned back and stared at Xiao Yao before he reached out his hand.

Xiao Yao grabbed his hand and vaulted on the winged horse’s back.

Kokuto:
New scenes from season 2!!!

My guesses:

Xiao Yao walking away from Xiang Liu on the last day at Qingshui Town 

XY (shocked): Are you saying... Tushan Jing was the one who instigated you to take me from the wedding?
XL: You can go and ask him yourself if you don't believe me.
XY (furious): What right does he have to ruin my wedding! What does he want to accomplish!
XL (calmly): I only did what I was paid for. His intentions have nothing to do with me.

Xiao Yao controlled herself forcibly but failed, kicking the pebbles furiously in her path.

XY: Bastard! (stared at Xiang Liu furiously) When are you planning to let me go?
XL (indifferently): I have gotten what I wanted. You can leave any time you wish!

Xiao Yao was happy for a moment, but immediately quietened down.

XY: Then... I take my leave.

Xiang Liu gazed at the river without saying a word. Wordlessly, Xiao Yao turned. Suddenly, Xiang Liu's icy voice rang out behind her.

-- S2 leaked script Ep7 (S02E15) scene 18

Fangfeng Bei walking Xiao Yao back from the Lirong old donkey meat seller's place

XY: Whom should I marry if not Feng Long?

Fangfeng Bei raised his eyebrows, a playful look on his face.

FFB: You ask me, whom should I ask?
XY (angrily): In any case, no matter whom I marry, that person must not be married, nor an enemy of my brother.

Fangfeng Bei continued to grin, showing no signs of joy or anger.
At this moment, there were sounds of laughter as A Nian, Xin Yue etc appeared from a corner, lanterns in the hand, playing happily. A Nian saw Xiao Yao and waved the lantern in her hand.

AN (happily): Sister, quickly come over.

FFB (smiled and stopped walking): I can only see you off here. Ahead... is your world.

Xiao Yao looked at the happily playing noblewomen and stood there, not moving. Xin Yue ignored Fangfeng Bei and called Xiao Yao to join them.
Xiao Yao hesitated and looked back at Fangfeng Bei but he had already turned to leave. She looked at his departing figure in loss and sadness and opened her mouth, but ultimately did not call out.

-- S2 leaked script Ep3 (S02E11) scene 1 

Kokuto:

New scenes from season 2!!!

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:5052167783120956?from=old_pc_videoshow

For some reason I'm having that old issue where clicking on the link doesn't work, but copying and pasting it does. 

The second scene in this clip looks like the adapted version of XY and XL/FFB's parting at the end of chapter 29.

liddi:
Leaked script Ep3 scene 1

XY: Whom should I marry if not Feng Long?

FFB: You ask me, whom should I ask?
XY (angrily): In any case, no matter whom I marry, that person must not be married, nor an enemy of my brother.

At this moment, there were sounds of laughter as A Nian, Xingyue etc appeared from a corner, lanterns in the hand, playing happily. A Nian saw Xiao Yao and waved the lantern in her hand.

FFB (smiled and stopped walking): I can only see you off here. Ahead... is your world.

Xiao Yao looked at the happily playing noblewomen and stood there, not moving. Xingyue ignored Fangfeng Bei and called Xiao Yao to join them.
Xiao Yao hesitated and looked back at Fangfeng Bei but he had already turned to leave. She looked at his departing figure in loss and sadness and opened her mouth, but ultimately did not call out.
A Nian ran over.

AN: Sister, what are you looking at? I called you several times but you ignored me.
XY (sadly): Nothing. Just a passerby who occasionally kept me company in this world. Ultimately he wasn't someone who can travel with me all the way after all.

Xiao Yao turned and left with A Nian.
Fangfeng Bei stopped walking and turned to see the direction in which Xiao Yao had left. In the distance, Xiao Yao, A Nian and Xingyue's cheerful voices faded away, returning to the world they belong to.
A flash of desolation passed through Fangfeng Bei's eyes. It seemed as if his and Xiao Yao's worlds were now separated forever.

But the first scene in that clip I'm not sure about.

A scene where XL is in white clothes with white hair, they are both on land and surrounded by snow, XY is XY and not WXL, and XY walks away from XL... the only thing I can think of is that it might be part of the adaptation of their confrontation in chapter 46, at some point before XY shoots him?

liddi:
My guesses:

You were ahead of me! ^^

liddi:
Xiao Yao walking away from Xiang Liu on the last day at Qingshui Town

OH that makes sense. 

Although that landscape doesn't immediately evoke QS town (in the vacinity of the clinic, albeit past a copse of trees) for me and in the novel I pictured XY's conversation with Xan Tian Er and the subsequent conversation with XL taking place during daylight, but the winter season is definitely right

Edit: Hmmm, no I went and checked and it did take place during daytime on a warm spring day in the novel (even though at least part of the month that XY and XL spent in QS town together was cold, snowy winter). But maybe they changed it for the drama?

Edit 2: Okay I went back further and now I'm confused... only the night before it was snowing and early winter? Is there a translation error here? Or should the description for XY's conversation with Tian Er be read as suggesting that it is still early winter (since the first snow of the winter was the day before...), but when one sat or stood in the sun it felt so nice and warm that it felt like a pleasant spring afternoon even though real spring was a long ways away?

-----

Chapter 32:

The Autumn month arrived and the Gao Xing wedding party departed from Five Gods Mountain via the water route towards Chi Sui.

Under Ru So’s expert travel planning, the wedding party entered the Chi Sui waterways on the dawn of the 22nd and the Chi Sui welcoming ships were waiting with celebratory music playing that was so loud it shook the Earth.

Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao lived in Qing Shui Town for over a month just like that.

When the first snowflakes fell, it was the first snow of the Winter. Xiao Yao reached out her hand but the snowflakes were too wispy and melted the moment it touched her palm.

Xiang Liu walked into the room and closed the window for her.

Xiao Yao opened it. Xiang Liu closed it again.

Xiao Yao opened it again. Xiang Liu closed it again.

Xiao Yao went to open it again but Xiang Liu used his power and Xiao Yao couldn’t open it at all.

Even since she left Chi Sui Castle, Xiao Yao had been calm but now she couldn’t endure it any longer and punched the window violently before glaring at Xiang Liu.

Xiang Liu coolly said, “What kind of person I am, you’ve known all along. Since you dared to make a deal with the devil, you ought to have the courage to accept the consequences.”

Xiao Yao was taken aback because Xiang Liu was absolutely correct. Their deal was completely fair. Even if she could do it over and knowing the consequences of today, to protect Zhuan Xu she would still choose to move the voodoo bug into Xiang Liu. It had simply been too long since Xiang Liu asked her to fulfill her end of the bargain. She had also seen Fang Feng Bei as real, so their relationship was covered by this tender sweet layer like a gauzy veil. Xiao Yao simply forgot that their relationship was always just a transaction, so no matter what he chose to ask of her, she had no right to be angry.

Xiang Liu sat down and started drinking wine and stared at Xiao Yao. There was a conflicted look in his eyes, unclear what he was thinking about.

Xiao Yao finally spoke. “When can I leave? What is your plan?”

Xiang Liu didn’t answer her question and just tossed a jug of wine to Xiao Yao. “This wine is specially made strong liquor, one sip and it’ll knock a person out.”

There was no brazier lit in the room so Xiao Yao was chilled. “No matter how strong the wine, it won’t let me drink my woes away!”

She picked up the jug and took a big large gulp. The strong wine hit her throat and burned its way down to her belly, instantly warming her body and relaxing her mood.

Xiao Yao continued to drink and Xiang Liu kept her company and also silently drank.

Xiang Liu suddenly asked, “Do you want to marry Feng Long?”

Xiao Yao was already drunk, but still sneered, "Why should I agree to him if I don't want to?"

Xiang Liu said, "Xiao Yao, look into my eyes."

Xiao Yao looked at Xiang Liu. Xiang Liu's eyes were like bright black gems, emitting a bewitching light. As Xiao Yao continued to look, she felt herself drowning in them.

Xiang Liu asked, "Are you willing to marry Feng Long?"

Xiao Yao's expression was dull and she replied softly, "I don't want to."

Xiang Liu asked, "Are you willing to marry Jing?"

Xiao Yao's expression changed, as if she was struggling to wake up. Xiang Liu's eyes shone even brighter, and his voice became softer as he asked, "Are you willing to marry Ye Shiqi?"

Xiao Yao murmured, "I do."

Another question was right at the tip of his tongue but Xiang Liu was actually torn. A moment later he asked, “With whom do you most want to spend your entire life with?”

Xiao Yao opened her mouth as if to answer, but her expression reflected her resistance and her will refused to let her respond.

After multiple struggles she became more and more pained and her body began to shake as she clutched her head. “Hurt…..hurt…..” Xiang Liu had used his power to try and see into Xiao Yao’s heart but Xiao Yao’s mind was too strong willed. If she encountered something that even she refused to think about, then she would unexpectedly oppose answering it and the headache was the result of her refusal to answer the question.

Xiang Liu was afraid that she would injure her soul essence so he didn’t dare push her and quickly pulled back his probe and said, “If your head hurts, rest.”

Xiao Yao wearily rested on the pillow with her forehead furrowed in pain.

Xiang Liu covered her with a blanket and Xiao Yao suddenly opened her eyes. “Why?”

Xiang Liu stared at Xiao Yao and didn’t know exactly what she was asking why about. Was it why he forced her to become a runaway bride? Or was it why he used his powers to probe the true feelings inside her heart?

Xiao Yao gave up asking and closed her eyes to murmur, “I’m so hurting……Xiang Liu, I hurt………”

Xiang Liu’s hand pressed on Xiao Yao’s forehead and he said in a low voice, “You’ll forget what just happened and after a good night’s sleep it’ll all be fine.”

Xiao Yao fell asleep but there was a sardonic smile on her lips as if mocking. “Even after a good sleep it won’t all be fine!”

When Xiao Yao woke up, her head felt like splitting and she sensed something strange happened last night but no matter how much she tried to remember she couldn’t figure it out so she gave up.

Perhaps it was due to waking up early today, Xiang Liu had already left.

Xiao Yao washed up and had breakfast before going to sit in a daze in the courtyard under the sun. The sound of children playing reached her.

She opened the courtyard door and saw seven or eight kids playing house. They were currently having a pretend wedding and Xiao Yao couldn’t help but lean against the door and watch them. She suddenly remembered Ma Zi and Chuan Zi, when she found them and brought them back they were about the same age. But they weren’t as noisy back then, they were quiet and fearful, working hard and eating little, afraid she would toss them back out. It wasn’t until after a long time did they believe she and Lao Mu wouldn’t kick them out just to have one less mouth to feed.

That was all nearly ninety years ago now! The grass on Ma Zi and Chuan Zi’s graves had grown multiple times but her memories of them were still so vivid like yesterday.

An old woman with a face full of wrinkles and hair all white sat near the wall and watched the kids. She appeared ancient but was full of life still and her clothing was neat and clean. She beamed with happiness as she watched the kids play.

The old woman beckoned to Xiao Yao. “Little lady, come here to sit under the sun.”

Xiao Yao walked over and sat beside the old woman, it was warm with the sensation of the Spring afternoon.

Xiang Liu came back and stood beside the tree to watch Xiao Yao and Xan Tian Er.

Xiao Yao stood up and stroked Tian Er’s head. “Tian Er, you did well. I know Chuan Zi must have understood and appreciated that he got a great wife. Lao Mu and I are both very happy.”

Xiao Yao walked towards Xiang Liu and Xan Tian Er’s voice broke as she called out, “You….who are you?”

Xiao Yao turned back and smiled at Xan Tian Er but didn’t answer her question. She and Xiang Liu walked through the copse of trees and disappeared.

“The other half?”

“Tu Shan Jing hired me to go stop your wedding. He promised that if I could keep you from getting married, he would give me thirty-seven years worth of army provisions for the soldiers.”

“What?” Xiao Yao couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Jing hired Xiang Liu to ruin her wedding?

“If you don’t believe me you can go ask Tu Shan Jing yourself.”

Xiao Yao asked, “When are you going to let me leave?”

Xiang Liu casually said, “I already got what I wanted, you can leave anytime!”

Xiao Yao turned to leave and Xiang Liu said, “A word of reminder, the voodoo bug still connects us so if you tell the world I’m Fang Feng Bei, don’t blame me if I hurt your heart and you die from the pain.”

Xiao Yao stopped and looked back at Xiang Liu.

“Don’t believe me?”

Xiao Yao’s heart was suddenly cut with so much pain like a sword pierced it, the pain so excruciating she fell on the ground in a slump.

Xiang Liu appeared to hold her life in his hands and he coldly said, “If you don’t want to die, then don’t say a word!”

Xiao Yao was in such pain her face was ashen and cold sweat dotted her face. She sat up and smiled, “Is this the reason you never had time to go to Jiu Li to break the voodoo bug? You want to control my life and death so that one day you can hold me hostage to your will? General Xiang Liu, you really are something!”

Xiang Liu smiled and turned to leave. With a whistle his white condor descended and he vaulted on its back and disappeared in the clouds.

The pain in Xiao Yao’s heart vanished but it was so painful that her body was still weak and needed some time to recover her strength. After some time, she slowly got up and walked towards town.

Qing Shui Town had to have a place where Zhuan Xu collected information. Xiao Yao didn’t know where it was and it was even harder for her to know where the Grand Emperor had his secret spies. It was easiest for her to find a Tu Shan clan business and she went into the nearest jewelry store and asked to see Yu Shin.

I'm reminded that the earlier part of that scene was included in the S1 trailer, along with several other scenes from S2. 

liddi:
Leaked script Ep3 scene 1

XY: Whom should I marry if not Feng Long?

FFB: You ask me, whom should I ask?

At this moment, there were sounds of laughter as A Nian, Xingyue etc appeared from a corner, lanterns in the hand, playing happily. A Nian saw Xiao Yao and waved the lantern in her hand.

Xiao Yao looked at the happily playing noblewomen and stood there, not moving. Xingyue ignored Fangfeng Bei and called Xiao Yao to join them.
A Nian ran over.

AN: Sister, what are you looking at? I called you several times but you ignored me.
XY (sadly): Nothing. Just a passerby who occasionally kept me company in this world. Ultimately he wasn't someone who can travel with me all the way after all.

Xiao Yao turned and left with A Nian.
Fangfeng Bei stopped walking and turned to see the direction in which Xiao Yao had left. In the distance, Xiao Yao, A Nian and Xingyue's cheerful voices faded away, returning to the world they belong to.
A flash of desolation passed through Fangfeng Bei's eyes. It seemed as if his and Xiao Yao's worlds were now separated forever.

https://youtu.be/MnJ2JHkOnPE?si=-rx4_VJwZfwyu6Bp&t=96

AH :
That's making me think... it really seems like an exceptional coincidence, or a bit more fate at work, that XL's alter-ego for the past 400+ years just so happened to be FFYY's younger brother (a brother with no responsibility and knowledge of the Fangfeng family's special archery skills)... someone who had a ready-made excuse to attend the same functions as her and her fiance and to become acquainted with her acqaintences. 

Very true. Even their first meeting was fate at work. The fact that she choose to settle down in Qingshui Town years ago, and went into the territory of the Shen Nong resistance army to whom he was military advisor, and he heard her singing to lure the feifei, heralded was the start of their relationship. Had she never run away from Jade Mountain, honed her skills with poison and lived in Qingshui Town as Wen Xiao Liu, even if he had met her, he would not have been as intrigued by this man who is clearly a woman in disguise, whose poison skills fell his condor which no one else could. And her poison skills became a form of their love language as well that linked them, almost as much as the poisonous Lovers bug did.

AH :
Agreed. It's a bit hammy and forced, but the idea behind the action was nice.

Perhaps the drama writers thought it would be good to add a scene like this with XL using his own body to physically distract XY from sad thoughts in a very obvious way because it's so hard to convey on screen all the times that XL used the bug connection to speed up XY's hearbeat so that she would be jolted out of / physically distracted from / physically incapable of maintaining very sad and painful trains of thought (as he did in chapter 25 and chapter 26, for example)?

It occurred to me the disparity in the relationships .

Out of all the men who loved her, Xiang Liu was the only one where she consistently wanted to please, always finding ways to dispel his anger and get back in his good books. It might have started off as self-preservation during the early days of their relationship because he was obviously far more powerful than her, but it became a situation where she willingly wanted to please him. Her poisons for him started off tasting and looking awful, but became works of art that she poured her heart and soul to make beautiful and delicious, just for him, each batch an expression of her love. Compare this with the rest of the men, who always sought to please her rather than the other way round, a relationship where she had the upper hand. The only time this changed was their last meeting when she severed their relationship in the face of his apparent callousness and cruelty. Still, she could not stop herself from caring about him, and making one last effort to save him, even if he was lost to her.

On his part, he only cared about her happiness. Be it as Xiang Liu or Fangfeng Bei, from the early days in Qingshui Town, and even more so when she was Xiao Yao, he was always there during her difficult, darkest times. Tacitly comforting her through their linked hearts connection; bringing her to play everywhere, teasing her, comforting her when she was devastated over the fact that she was Chi Chen's daughter; their shared experiences under the ocean, listening to the song of the merpeople - whatever the situation, he could always bring her comfort and joy in his words and deeds, even if he hid it behind a cold exterior most of the time. It was also that same love that propelled him to ensure that she had everything she needed to lead a happy, carefree life after he was gone and unable to watch over her, minimising her grief for his certain death by making her utterly hate him just before he died. And just in case, just in case this still could not stop her from grieving when she learnt of his death, he prepared the laughing big-bellied doll with his hidden well wishes, to bring a smile to her face one last time. 

And now I am feeling sad again.

AH :
Hmmm, no I went and checked and it did take place during daytime on a warm spring day in the novel (even though most of the month that XY and XL spent in QS town together was cold, snowy winter). But maybe they changed it for the drama. 

Actually, the scene where she met Tian'er was the morning after the 4 questions, and it was snowing that night. It merely said that the following day was warm like a day in Spring, but not that it was Spring:

The elderly woman waved to Xiao Yao and said, "Young lady, come and sit down in the sun."

Xiao Yao walked over and sat down by the wall facing the sun, It was very warm, with a kind of comfortable feeling of a day in Spring.

-- Vol 2 Ch15  (Chapter 32)

In the script, it was snowing the day she left Qingshui Town for Qing Qiu, so I am inclined to think this is the scene:

Xiao Yao arranged for proprietor Yu to send her to Qing Qiu to see Tushan Jing.
In the snow, proprietor Yu set Xiao Yao on a horse carriage, which she would later switch to a cloud carriage after the snow had stopped.
After the carriage departed, a flurry of snowflakes suddenly flew by the stone monument and Xiang Liu appeared amid the snow.
Xiang Liu stood by the monument and quietly saw the carriage drive off, further and further until it finally disappeared in the snowy landscape.
Xiang Liu remained standing in the snow, loneliness in his eyes.

[Flashback:
Wen Xiao Liu: I am afraid of loneliness. Even if I cannot find someone to depend on for life, short term companionship is also good. ]

XL (voiceover): The Fangfeng Bei who accompanied you for a short time is dead. I will give you back someone you can depend on for life.

It seemed as if Xiang Liu could hear the sound of singing.

XY (singing voiceover):
If you are the bird in the sky, I am like the fish in the water; Forgetting and remembering each other, Forgetting and remembering each other...

-- S2 leaked script Ep7 (S02E15) scene 18 

EDIT: From the leaked scene of Xiao Yao talking to old Tian'er, it looks to still be snowing, and she is wearing the same outfit we saw in the scene with Xiang Liu:

https://x.com/_LostYouForever/status/1808047206462579190

AH :
I'm reminded that the earlier part of that scene was included in the S1 trailer, along with several other scenes from S2

Yes. This scene was leaked in the S1 trailer too. I wonder whether they initially expected to be able to air the entire drama without having to split to 2 seasons.

liddi:
After the carriage departed, a flurry of snowflakes suddenly flew by the stone monument and Xiang Liu appeared amid the snow.
Xiang Liu stood by the monument and quietly saw the carriage drive off, further and further until it finally disappeared in the snowy landscape.
Xiang Liu remained standing in the snow, loneliness in his eyes.

[Flashback:
Wen Xiao Liu: I am afraid of loneliness. Even if I cannot find someone to depend on for life, short term companionship is also good. ]

XL (voiceover): The Fangfeng Bei who accompanied you for a short time is dead. I will give you back someone you can depend on for life.

It seemed as if Xiang Liu could hear the sound of singing.

XY (singing voiceover):
If you are the bird in the sky, I am like the fish in the water; Forgetting and remembering each other, Forgetting and remembering each other...

OMG.  I'm about to cry.

Lord, XY gave herself the short end of that stick.  If she could have admitted she wanted to spend her life with XL, she could have had Fang Feng Bei!  Instead she got the most unreliable person in Dahuang to depend on ... for a very short time.  smh

At this point I am hoping that the drama may pleasantly surprise us. 

HeadInTheClouds:

OK, ladies. Some apparent spoilers for Season 2. Read at your ơn risk.

The source supposedly a special screening of episode 5 of Season 2. The scene where XY waited for XL on the beach, she wore red. At the same time, XL is sitting in their seashell staring at the Crystal Ball. He is also wearing red.  They are giving us crumbs because they are f-ing everything else up. 

True. They are destroying everything else. They did XL dirty. Only a few days to see how bad it was 

I don't know where it came from, but the rest of the Who Should I Marry, FFB?  scene is on twitter.  It's like you guys posted!

https://x.com/DellaNopyta/status/1808712403175289125

Liu Yifei:

At this point I am hoping that the drama may pleasantly surprise us. 

I've reached the point where, like Xiang Liu, I'm going to take my little crumbs and enjoy them to the utmost.  I hope he's in the first episode.

HeadInTheClouds:

OK, ladies. Some apparent spoilers for Season 2. Read at your ơn risk.

The source supposedly a special screening of episode 5 of Season 2. The scene where XY waited for XL on the beach, she wore red. At the same time, XL is sitting in their seashell staring at the Crystal Ball. He is also wearing red.  They are giving us crumbs because they are f-ing everything else up. 

Been thinking a lot about this ... do you think this means he is sitting in his sea shell for the entire seven days, feeling how much she wants to be with him?    And somehow resisting going to her?  What sweet torture.  What you want the most, but won't touch, because it will eventually hurt the one you love most?