liddi:
I'm trying to recall if anyone had a happy ending in Once Promised, but am coming up empty.

It's a miserable tale.

Sign me up!  Like I haven't had enough unrelenting angst in this season of LYF.  lol

liddi:
Lie Detector - a compilation of all the times Xiang Liu / Fangfeng Bei lied

#The Practical Meaning of Eternal Longing# Heard that @MIC檀健次JC-T is going to give Xiang Liu a lie detector test? Wait, let Police Officer Tongtong help you out first based on what is aired. From Xiang Liu's subtle movements and micro-expressions, such as avoiding eye contact and fake smiles, it is confirmed that he is lying. He is worthy to be called a rattlesnake~

Ah, so it's the Shanghai Police.  Someone posted a video from ... Yunnan Police, using Jing getting shot into the water, as a water safety video.  lol  I wondered if LYF had collaborations with various police departments.

I love these!  Even the bad cosplay.  But I need to watch this second one closely, and see what the police can clearly recognize as lies.

liddi:
Drama
Ep18 (crying wedding symbol) - Xiao Yao's heartbreak on her wedding
Ep19 (bloodied dagger) - Xiao Yao's attempt on Cang Xuan's life
Ep20 (decree, swords) - War on the Chenrong resistance army
Ep21 (blood) - Xiang Liu forces Xiao Yao to give her blood
Ep22 (walnut, red heart) - breaking of the Lovers bug connection, Xiao Yao and Jing are reunited
Ep23 (poinciana flower) - Cang Xuan confesses his love at the poinciana forest before Xiao Yao's wedding

That looks about right! I still don't understand XY having to give XL her blood if XL isn't the one who saves TSJ LOL. Did I read the script right? TSJ saves himself? Or maybe XL does save him? - and I guess when she passes out from doing so, XL asks AN to help him get the seashell or whatever to remove the bug. AGH I'm sad we don't get Sir Bi and Lie Yang in this scene.

liddi:
ZWY
Ep18 (waves) - Accompany Xiao Yao by the sea where she cries out to Jing?
Ep19 (dagger) - Xiao Yao's attempt on Cang Xuan's life
Ep20 (angry face emoji, star?) - Realise it was a hallucination; Confrontation with Xin Yue over assassination attempt on Xiao Yao
Ep21 (bow and arrow, crying face emoji) - Xiang Liu kills Feng Long, Cang Xuan's grief
Ep22 (upset face) - Choice between the throne or Xiao Yao
Ep23 (poinciana flower, clouds) - Cang Xuan confesses his love at the poinciana forest, Xiao Yao is lost to him somewhere in the world?

What assassination? They consider that child's play as Xin Yue's attempt at getting rid of XY? LOL I am very disappointed in the way they executed this part in the script, XY wasn't even in real danger. Is a confrontation even necessary? UGH AND CHOICE BETWEEN THRONE OR XY...please...that just contradicts his intention this entire time. I can't even hold out hope that they filmed ep 22 and 23 different from the leaked script. You can't do that to our CX.

Speaking of XL killing FL - I was listening to some youtube videos the other day and realized...XL kept his promise to XY (WXL) to never harm CX. He could've easily killed CX if he wanted to but never did. In the end, he killed FL (perhaps knowing FL would take the hit for his Emperor) to ensure XY's safety. At least in the novel, so long as FL was alive, there was no guarantee that he wouldn't help Xinyue kill XY again. That was not something I thought about when I read the novel but makes so much sense. Made me love XL even more, he really arranged everything so well to eliminate threats (i.e. FL) and give XY resources (i.e. archery, Left Ear) to ensure her safety.

liddi:
Xiao Yao was born after Yu Xiang was killed. Do we know how old she was when she was sent to Jade Mountain? I can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm not sure either. 

I believe someone once mentioned in this thread that XY spent something like eight yeears living on Xuan Yuan mountain with CX. 

And I know for sure that the Grand Emperor spent the first year of XY's life caring for her in Gao Xing while Ah Heng was in a coma. 

Between that first year in Gao Xing and the time when XY left Gao Xing to go live on Xuan Yuan Mountain, I don't know exactly how many years passed. Enough that XY was old enough to learn to swim and to form memories of living in Gao Xing before she left. But few enough that XY still was only as tall as an eight year-old human child when she escaped from Jade Mountain 78 years after leaving Gao Xing. 

liddi:
Oh you're right! I forgot that he was already leading life as Fangfeng Bei by then and he should have been doing so even before Xiao Yao was born. Xiang Liu escaped to the North Pole during the reign of the Seventh Flame Emperor. Though we are not told when he returned as Fangfeng Bei except that it was after 100 years, Xiao Yao was born after Yu Xiang was killed.

liddi:
Can you refresh my memory again how you deduced he was Fangfeng Bei for roughly 100 years before he went to Hong Jiang?  My calculations put him as being Fangfeng Bei roughly 30-40 years before the final battle at Ji Province. He returned as Fangfeng Bei about (478 - 45) = 433 years ago, and the battle at Ji Province took place roughly 400 years ago as well. 

My calculations definitely aren't precise. I'm sure there are details in Once Promised that would help get to a more accurate number. 

Math is not my strong suit, so definitely take all of these calculations with a major grain of salt. Especially since they involve some assumptions, a lot of the numbers used are approximations, and I know that in at least one case Koala's translation doesn't convey all of the same nuances as the original Mandarin text when it comes to timeframes. 

-----

Around 480 years prior to LYF chapter 18 (when XY gets CX's report on FFB), the real FFB ran away from home as a teenager and was gone for almost 50 years. So approximately 430 years prior to LYF chapter 18, XL returned from the far north and began using FFB's identity. And whenever that was, XY wasn't born yet. 

For the majority of those ~430 years, XL was also fighting with Gong Gong and the Shengnong remnant army. 

That would include almost all of the ~300 years between XY and CX's moment of separation (when XY's mother took her to Jade Mountain before the final battle... shortly before XL would have joined Gong Gong) and XY's true identity being revealed to CX in LYF chapter 9. 

I don't recall how much time passed between LYF chapter 9 and LYF chapter 18. Roughly three or four years? Definitely at least the two years that FFB spent teaching XY archery between LYF chapter 16 (when he first started teaching her) and LYF chapter 17 (when his identity as XL was confirmed).

So by LYF chapter 18, XL had fought with the remnant army for roughly 300 years plus approximately three years

~430 - ~303 = ~127 years

By this calculation, XL could theoretically have been FFB for over 120 years before joining Gong Gong. 

-----

I don't have a perfect grasp on how much time passes between LYF chapter 18 and LYF chapter 21, but I think it's something like another three years. Then the 37 years of healing happens in LYF chapter 22. So let's say that by this point approximately 300 + 3 + 37 + = ~343 years had passed since XY was left on Jade Mountain by her mother before the last battle (not too long before XL would have joined the Shengnong remnant army). 

And using the same math, by the end of LYF chapter 22, approximately 430 + 37 + 3 = ~470 years had passed since XL first took over FFB's identity. 

Again I don't recall the exact amount of time that passes between chapter 22 and chapter 24, but I think it was a pretty short amount of time. 

In LYF chapter 24, XY speculates that XL escaped from the slave death match arena approximately 500 or 600 years prior, and she thought to herself that she hadn't even been born back then. In LYF chapter 22, XL tells XY that he hid in the far north for over 100 years

So to check if the math can match up once all the relevant timeframes are accounted for....

Let's say that XL escaped the death match arena 579 years before LYF chapter 24 (a timeframe that would fit into XY's 500 - 600 year range). He was rescued by Gong Gong and spent a certain amount of time recuperating in Gong Gong's care before running away to the far north. For the sake of simplicity, let's assume about a year passed between XL escaping from the death match arena, XL being rescued, cared for and taught by Gong Gong, and XL getting all the way to the far north. Then he spent over 100 years in the far north. For the sake of simplicity, let's say he spent 108 years there. 

579 - 1 - 108 = 470

This calculation includes a lot of assumptions, but it seems like it at least wouldn't contradict any of the timelines mentioned in LYF if XL was FFB for ~470 years total by LYF chapter 24.

And so the following also seems to work:

approximately 300 + 3 + 37 + = ~343 years since XL joined Gong Gong

~470 - ~343 years = ~127 years where XL could have been FFB before joining Gong Gong 

The following is the BTS and my translation of where TJC  analysed the scene when Xiang Liu meets the Lirong old donkey meat seller to verify Xiao Yao's relationship with Chi Chen:

TJC analysing the scene with LROM to verify Xiao Yao's identity

https://x.com/tlmssusu/status/1814512133872492574

[The scene to seek out Lirong old man to verify Xiao Yao's identity
Discussing with the director before shooting.
Trying to figure out the character's mindset.]

TJC: In his heart, Xiang Liu must have some idea, but he cannot be certain.

[Explore the motivations behind a character's actions]
TJC:  He has seen the old man's attitude, reaction towards Xiao Yao. He has become aware that Xiao Yao's identity is not just Xiao Yao.

[In the midst of acting]
TJC: Now it's is equivalent to saying that in this interaction between the old man and Xiang Liu, [the old man] is totally being reactive.

[Analyzing the rationality of the character actions]
TJC: In fact, it appears as if he is asking, but actually I am taking the initiative.

LROM: As long as the Shaman King sees that young lady, he will definitely help you. That young lady is actually...

[Expression changes]

XL (asking further): Is actually what?
LROM (evasive): Don't ask anymore.

[Discussing with the staff]
TJC: I had a purpose in coming. I came here to gauge from your words whether she is Chi Chen's daughter.

[Experiment with the character's different states]
TJC: I think however we express it should be okay. It's just that... Let us try another approach and see how it feels.

XL: What exactly is the relationship between the Eldest Haoling Princess and Chi Chen?
LROM: Both of you have different stances. You must not be like the Great General, truly loving each other, but end up having to fight to the death on the battlefield.

[Doing the utmost to get an even better result]

Sssnoopyyy:
Speaking of XL killing FL - I was listening to some youtube videos the other day and realized...XL kept his promise to XY (WXL) to never harm CX.

As far as I can recall, XL did not promise WXL that he would never harm CX.

When he agreed to help WXL transfer the bug from CX to himself, he required WXL to promise to do one thing for him in exchange. She agreed to make the promise as long as he would not use the promise to require her to harm CX, TSJ, the Yellow Emperor or the Grand Emperor. 

-----

Chapter 7:

Xiang Liu stood there with his hands behind his back, staring at the moon, saying nothing. After a few moments he said, “I can help you lure the bug into me, but you have to promise that in the future you will do one thing for me. If I ask, you will do it.

Xiao Liu thought about it. “Other than killing Xuan.”

“Fine.”

“I also can’t kill Tu Shan Jing.”

“Fine.”

“You can’t ask me to kill the Yellow Emperor or the Grand Emperor.”

Xiang Liu said incredulously, “My nine-heads would need to be flooded with water for me to think you can kill the Yellow Emperor or the Grand Emperor.”

Xiao Liu wasn’t mad but asked again, “The answer is…?”

“I won’t [ask you to kill them]!”

Xiao Liu yelled, “Then it’s a deal!”

Xiang Liu raised his palm and Xiao Liu clapped it to strike the deal. “I promise that if Xiang Liu helps me remove the voodoo bug from Xuan, I agree to do one thing he asks of me.”

-----

XY had a similar condition for the promise that XL extracted from her in chapter 43.

-----

Chapter 43:

“I need to find Miao Pu, you take me back to that island.”

Xiang Liu said, “I happen to have free time, I can accompany you to go look for Miao Pu.”

“When did you become so nice?”

“Of course there is a price.”

“I only have one head, so I can't outthink your nine heads. I don’t think this deal is going to be good.”

Xiang Liu vaulted into the ocean without a care about Xiao Yao’s reverse psychology negotiating tactics. Xiao Yao anxiously jumped into the ocean after him and grabbed a lock of his flowing white hair.

Xiang Liu turned around and glared at her, so Xiao Yao let go with a smile. “You help me find the seagull demon and I agree to your price.” The seagull demon chose to let the whirlpool swallow her up forever, clearly she knew this ocean expanse very well. Only with Xiang Liu’s help could Xiao Yao hope to find her quickly.

Xiang Liu rose up from the ocean to stand on the waves. His white hair like the clouds, his white robe like the snow, the silver moonlight made him look even more noble and ethereal, except his expression looking down at Xiao Yao was filled with an evil smirk. “Any price I want?”

Xiao Yao stood up on the waves and raised her chin to look at Xiang Liu. “As long as it has nothing to do with Zhuan Xu, then any price is fine!” For Miao Pu, even if she had to make a real deal with the devil she would do it. At this point what else did she have left to lose?

Xiang Liu said, “The price is for you to stay alive. Even if Tu Shan Jing is really dead, you have to stay alive!”

-----

Perhaps you are thinking of when TSJ promised WXL that he would not harm CX?

-----

Chapter 7:

“What do you want?” 

Xiao Liu lowered his head and stared at his feet before mumbling, “I want to ask you, under any circumstances, to never hurt Xuan.”

Jing softly sighed as if he was disappointed yet also happy. “Fine.”

Xiao Liu raised his head in shock. “You agree?”

Jing nodded. “I promised to listen to whatever you want.”

Xiao Liu thought now that assassinating Xuan must be the sole idea of Fang Feng Yi Yang. Jing appeared to know nothing about what Fang Feng Yi Yang was up to.

-----

Chapter 16:

Xiao Yao said, “Do you remember promising me not to hurt Xuan?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t know what my Gege wants to do, but if it doesn’t harm Tu Shan clan, can you help him a little?”

Jing warmly said, “If it’s this request, you need not even ask. I actually came with Feng Long this time to discuss something with Zhuan Xu.”

Hi AH - ah yes you are right - I mistook him saying “fine” as promising not to kill CX himself. Altho I feel like if he really wanted to all those times he had the opportunity to - he would have. But I would like to think he didn’t because he knew how important CX was to XY and also prepared for the day he would die in battle anyway. 

Sssnoopyyy:
Hi AH - ah yes you are right - I mistook him saying “fine” as promising not to kill CX himself. Altho I feel like if he really wanted to all those times he had the opportunity to - he would have. But I would like to think he didn’t because he knew how important CX was to XY and also prepared for the day he would die in battle anyway. 

Agreed. 

Although he didn't promise XY that he would not kill CX, he had plenty of opportunities to kill CX that he did not seize. 

AH :
My calculations definitely aren't precise. I'm sure there are details in Once Promised that would help get to a more accurate number. 

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! Just to drop a quick line to say that I have read your post, but might be delayed in responding to this post as I will need to pore through the details of Once Promised to identify the timeline (I did it halfway and very brilliantly deleted it all by accident - gah!) Am travelling in a few days' time so apologies in advance if it takes a little longer than usual to try and get the details. 

liddi:

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! Just to drop a quick line to say that I have read your post, but might be delayed in responding to this post as I will need to pore through the details of Once Promised to identify the timeline (I did it halfway and very brilliantly deleted it all by accident - gah!) Am travelling in a few days' time so apologies in advance if it takes a little longer than usual to try and get the details. 

Thanks liddi. No rush and no explanation required. ^^

Sorry to hear so much of your timeline work was deleted. So frustrating! 

Hope you enjoy your travels!

liddi:

Man, I hate when that happens.  All your detailed work gone!

Definitely focus on your trip!  We'll be hanging around ... crying.

I reluctantly started watching LYF season 2. Each scene with XL and XY felt like a dagger to my heart, squeezing the life out of me. Emotionally drained, I found myself drowning in sorrow with every passing episode. I had to pause, seeking solace in fanfiction to gather my shattered emotions. Even though I know XL's fate is sealed, the inevitability of his death doesn't lessen the anguish in my heart.

The second animated episode by TJC's studio, which ultimately broke my heart. I love that they highlighted Xiang Liu's role in looking after those at Hui Chun Clinic,  specifically stating that Xiang Liu bought the house next door as Bao Zu, and often supplied Sang Tian Er  with medicines, something the drama totally ignored.

"The Great Wilderness Portal: Nine Lives' Strategy - Episode 2: The Story of a Walnut"

Once upon a time in Bai Li, there was a poisonous bug that is really difficult to be removed, but was actually removed by my master...
The story... begins from the time I was taken down by poison.

[White feathered, golden crown condor]
XL: Mao Qiu, the hearts of men are deceitful. This time you should remember it well, right?
XL: Twenty lashes
WXL: I have no ability to protect myself, no one to rely on, nowhere to go
XL (thinking): My childhood...
XL: Who would have thought an insignificant physician in Qingshui Town would be so capable. If you want to live, you should work for me.

MQ:
Dear students, this is an important point.
My master! The Chen Rong military advisor!
Let a suspicious person go for the first time.

I dare not comment on this matter. So I won't comment first.
Based on my secret observations, after being released by my master, this person not only made poisons for my master, but even dare to curse him.

Evidence 1: Giving him poisoned wine
Evidence 2: Praying he chokes to death

(WXL hanging poison on MQ's neck)
MQ: Me... deliver poisons!? Again? Me!?

(MQ wearing a "Great Wilderness Express Delivery" cap)
Mao Qiu Express Delivery Mission must be accomplished

It is impossible to take down my master with poisons, not even one bit.
But who would have thought...
he would actually be wholeheartedly willing to have a poisonous bug planted in him!!!
This is totally unheard of.

(WXL trying to plant the bug on XL but failed)
I personally saw her secretly trying to plant the bug but was not successful.

WXL: Can you please help me draw the poisonous bug to your body. Please, please...
XL: Alright.

MQ:
Dear students, please read the following out loud and memorise it:
The love poisonous bugs, not only demands your life, but also your heart.

You have 9 lives, but only one heart.
Once it is given away, it can never be taken back.

With the poisonous bug, as long as her heart beat, he could feel it.
(WXL getting hit on the hand, XL dropped the book)

Today, Master seemed to be possessed, unexpectedly feeling pain in his body.

(At Huichun Clinic)
MQ: Strange! The physician is missing!

(MQ underwater, seeing XL on the surface of the ocean)
MQ: Hm? Master, why are you here.

Why is it always you?
(How old are you?  [this is a play on a direct translation of "Why is it always you"] )

XL: The ocean is beneath my feet.

Translation:
The ocean is beneath my feet = As long as you step into the ocean, I will take you away

WXL: I don't want to owe you too many favours. Just leave!
XL: You still owe me a debt. Dead people cannot repay debts.

Translation:
Dead people cannot repay debts = You must stay alive well.

MQ:
I too left with Xiang Liu.

Ever since the physician disappeared, Master often went back to Hui Chun Clinic with me, and would stay for several days at a time. At first I thought that Master also wanted to take control of this place, but after going back and forth multiple times, I could not understand Master at all...

Mao Qiu's TV Channel
Master purchases a residence
If you don't believe, take a look

XL (to Real Estate Agent): I'll buy this house.

(XL passing a packet of medicine to Sang Tian Er)
STE: Bao Zu, you have come to deliver items again.

Bao Zu?

Who are you???

After a few years, I have gotten used to going back and forth to Qingshui Town. When I am bored, I would even go to the riverbank to catch worms, bask in the sun, having a leisurely time.

But today, Master suddenly summoned me urgently...

XL: Mao Qiu! Faster! Mao Qiu! Even faster!

In the end, in order to save the wounded physician, Master spent 37 years under the ocean. These 37 years, apart from returning to the military camp to handle official duties, even I rarely saw him.
And later, the little physician was healed. She left. 

And even later, while I was in the forest, I met a walnut.

Walnut: I really admire you, being able to fly all over the Great Wilderness from north to south. Whereas I, might be disappearing soon.
MQ: Today, I Lord Condor have some free time. Tell me your story to relieve my boredom.
Walnut: I and another walnut have intertwined lives. Later, we were eaten by a demon and a deity. At first we thought our lives would be connected, and our hearts joined. Even though previously the host of the other walnut had no life signs at all, because my host had a strong lifeforce, her life could be sustained.
MQ: So impressive!
Walnut: We have equal powers, so by right, we should be controlled by our own hosts. However, my host not only could control me, but even control the other walnut. The other walnut never knew my joy, anger, pain and hurt, but theirs, we felt everything they felt.
MQ: What happened after that?
Walnut: After that, we spent several years in this way. Let's not talk about both of us being forcibly controlled by my host. Lately, I even felt that he wants to forcibly make me and the other walnut disappear.
MQ: From your tone, looks like both of you would not give up easily.

Walnut: That's right.
Survive if the hearts are one. Perish if the hearts are no longer one.
If we disappeared, how would they survive? Unless my host, uses his life...

Walnut: Ah! Ah!!

(XL lures the bugs to kill them)

XL: Silly girl, to even dare to recklessly plant the lovers bug that connects hearts and lives! You kept asking me to remove the bug and I kept telling you it was not possible but you never believed me. I did not deceive you. The lovers bug connects hearts and lives, and really cannot be removed.
But I can kill it.

(The two walnuts disintegrating)
"The parasol trees on the ground will grow old intertwined,
The jian birds in the sky will not fly alone,
The mandarin ducks in the water will die together."

Your bug, has been removed.

Ashes scatter from the dissolved contract.
Like ripples on the water
Like the thunderous roars and reverberating phases of the moon.

@liddi

You'll be happy to know that they kept the details of XL saving Jing 

HeadInTheClouds:

@liddi

You'll be happy to know that they kept the details of XL saving Jing 

Is that more or less like the original book?
I just saw the clip of Jing &XY's wedding