AH :
1 day ago
blabla100:
About the lovers' bugs, I personally interpret the scene in S2 ep 7 as XL's own pain of having to let go of XY, I never thought of that scene as bugs trying to retailate.  XL felt XY's pain countless of times, since that's the nature of the bugs, to tie 2 people both in life and death, but also to allow them to feel each other's emotions. To me that scene is just XL allowing XY to feel the pain he felt for having to push XY away from him and back to Jing.

By the end of Chapter 32, XY was no stranger to extreme heartache. With the exception of the illness she experienced after she found out about FFYY's pregnancy, XY was generally able to control herself and to hide her intense heartache whenever she experienced it so others could not see it (although, of course, XL could always feel it). Even with FFYY's pregnancy, XY was able to smile and leave the Tushan residence before losing control of the physical effects of her sadness and heartache. In chapter 25 and chapter 26, XY was able to mask her intense heartache with a smile until XL sped up her heartbeat to the point that it was like she had just gone for an intense run. Unlike her pain (which she could hide), she couldn't control her physical reaction to the fast heartbeat or hide her breathlessness. 

So, I haven't watched further than Eps 1 of Season 2 so I have little  clue of the drama. However, a long time ago when discussing about the heartache that XL caused XY when they parted in Qing Shui town, I did mention that the pain the XY got might cause by several options:

1. The "long term" hearchache that XL suffered over long time when he forced himself to stay away from her, cut off their connection and pushed her toward Jing and maybe frome earlier decline her desire of being toghether (at least from the moment XY sent him the ice crytal globe). He had been suffering it for some time but he always could contain it, and supress bug to transfer the pain signal.

2. The blowing of the bug in eps 19 of S1, in my view was due to his attempt to get his heart back and stop loving her. He realized their diffent stance, she declined him and said "he is not suitable to step in any girl's dream" and saw YSQ carrying and her soft attitude toward YSQ. So the bug reacted to it. Therefore, the terrible pain that XY suffer might also result in similar mechanism if XL wanted to elevate the intensity. He could make himself thinking of pushing her away and stop loving her, thus the bug  could react as the same as it did in eps 19. This reaction from the bug is the warning reaction before they  back fired and turned into heartbroken bug. 

3. XY also suffer quite terrible heart pain (much worse than she suffered over decades) when she returned to Jing's house in Qing Shui town in Chapter 46. Windiaaa once pointed it out to me that the heartache in XY was much more severe and on surface it looks similar to the heartache she suffered in chapter 32 after 1 month in QS town.

"Xiao Yao looked around and saw all the same blooming flowers just like it was before, bringing the sensation that a refined gentleman would walk through the door at any moment smiling at her.

But….that wasn’t to be!

The sunlight was the same, the view was the same, but the person looking at her with affection was no longer there. Xiao Yao’s heart hurt and her eyes saw black, she was about to collapse when Zhuan Xu grabbed her “Xiao Yao!”

“No worries, I almost tripped is all.” Xiao Yao tried to control herself but her breathing was ragged and both Zhuan Xu and Feng Long heard it clearly." (chapter 46)

This pain might result from the warning reaction by the bug since she was thinking passionately of other man.

liddi:
As such, when I was writing the script, I revealed the buried lines of the novel.

Thank you for providing this jewel of an interview. How great to get a confirmation that the additions and extra details in the drama are likely intentional and purposeful. Indicating she “revealed the buried lines in the novel,” basically encourages us to view the drama and novel as an amalgamation of the story she created.

Appreciate the warm welcome, Kokuto and solarlunareclipse! Just trying to add a bit of levity while introducing a few topics that might be interesting. Since S2 finished airing, the forum discussions have revolved mainly around the ending of the story and the continued PLB conundrum. I thought it might be fun to revisit Qingshui Town to see if our perceptions of Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu (et al.) might have changed now that S2 is complete.

solarlunareclipse:

Hi Snowcup! Welcome!

100% agree that Xiang Liu was jealous of Fei Fei. In the medicine pool, Xiang Liu even asked Wen Xiao Liu:

你如果是男人,是如何把朏朏勾搭出来的?
If you are a man, how could you have hooked up with Fei Fei?

[Clip from Season 1 Episode 10]

勾搭 means hooked up with or seduced and definitely has sexual connotations. 

Looking forward to your updates, Snowcup!

Wow, kudos for providing this nugget with the original characters. I thought I saw the word “hooked up” on one of the sites I watched (Viki has it as “lure” like Koala). But the site later changed their captions similar to Viki's, though I preferred the structure and word choices I saw initially on that site. Just as you noted above, here’s the online definition.

"勾搭" (gōudā) To Flirt or Seduce: 勾搭 is used to describe the act of flirting or seducing someone, often in a casual or somewhat negative sense. It implies engaging in a romantic or sexual relationship, sometimes in a way that is seen as improper or underhanded.

A Heng and Chi Chen Recognize Xiang Liu As Their Son-in-Law

In Season 2, Episode 15, Xiao Yao meets A Heng when she visits the former residence of Chi Chen and A Heng in Bai Li. Chi Chen had sacrificed himself to preserve a trace of A Heng’s consciousness, sealing it inside their home so that A Heng could one day see Xiao Yao again.

At 9:21, A Heng tells Xiao Yao, "All your father and I wanted was to let go of everything and bring you back here so we could watch you grow up and see you marry and have children." Knowing that Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan had grown up safely, A Heng felt at peace and could finally let go. However, she never got to see Xiao Yao marry and have children before her consciousness faded.

As A Heng’s consciousness leaves, peach petals, embodying Chi Chen's spiritual power, perform three final acts to support Xiao Yao:

1. At 14:03, the petals reveal Chi Chen and A Heng smiling at Xiao Yao before disappearing, symbolizing their love and support for her.
  2. At 14:19, one petal flies into the painting of Chi Chen and A Heng, transforming into a peach branch that Chi Chen is handing to A Heng, encapsulating their wish to see Xiao Yao marry and have children.
  3. At 14:29, another petal flies into Xiao Yao's forehead, restoring the Rejuvenating Flower's transformation abilities, representing her parents' continued support. King Haoling reinforces this at 16:17 by telling Xiao Yao that with her parents' support, she can harness the transformative powers of the Rejuvenating Flower.

At 15:20, after A Heng's consciousness fades, we see Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan kneeling and bowing at the altar of Chi Chen and A Heng, with the painting of them hanging above. Jing, notably, stands to the side while Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan honor Xiao Yao’s parents.

Later, Xiang Liu visits Chi Chen and A Heng’s former home to find a way to break the lovers’ bug connection. During his visit, at 20:35, he sees the painting of Chi Chen and A Heng transform into a depiction of him and Xiao Yao holding hands. This transformation is not the result of Xiang Liu’s imagination or spiritual power. Instead, it is triggered by the peach branch in the painting, a manifestation of Chi Chen and A Heng’s wish to see Xiao Yao marry and have children.

In the drama, peach petals symbolize Chi Chen's spiritual power, while snowflakes represent Xiang Liu's. It is the peach petals, not snowflakes, that transform the image. The spiritual power sealed in the painting may have activated because it sensed the lovers’ bug inside Xiang Liu, recognizing him as Xiao Yao's true love. Just as the peach petals restoring the Rejuvenating Flower signifies Xiao Yao’s parents' support for her, the transformation of the painting signifies their blessing of YaoLiu's union and their recognition of Xiang Liu as their son-in-law.

At 20:43, we see Xiang Liu lighting incense and bowing to honor Chi Chen and A Heng at their altar. As he bows, we hear the witch king ask, “Who exactly are you? Why are you paying respects to the King of Beasts and the Xiling Witch?” In Chinese tradition, burning incense and bowing is a way to honor ancestors. Xiang Liu pays respects to Chi Chen and A Heng in response to their recognition of him as their son-in-law, entrusting Xiao Yao to him. Xiang Liu had long viewed Xiao Yao as his wife and did his best to ensure she would live well after he was gone.

Snowcup:
Appreciate the warm welcome, Kokuto and solarlunareclipse! Just trying to add a bit of levity while introducing a few topics that might be interesting. Since S2 finished airing, the forum discussions have revolved mainly around the ending of the story and the continued PLB conundrum. I thought it might be fun to revisit Qingshui Town to see if our perceptions of Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu (et al.) might have changed now that S2 is complete.

The QST arc is very interesting and definitely worth revisiting. If you look closely, you'll see some uncanny parallels between the beginning of the drama in QST and the end of the drama, revisiting QST. In TH's 2013 letter introducing LYF, she stated: "Life is a series of encounters and partings, a cycle of forgetting and beginning anew." One theory is that the drama establishes this cycle by beginning and ending the QST, hinting that YaoLiu to meet again in QST after Xiang Liu is reincarnated (and Jing kicks the bucket),

Snowcup:

Thank you for providing this jewel of an interview. How great to get a confirmation that the additions and extra details in the drama are likely intentional and purposeful. Indicating she “revealed the buried lines in the novel,” basically encourages us to view the drama and novel as an amalgamation of the story she created.

Ditto. I agree that the drama can help enhance our understanding of the novel and vice versa. Although the plot points change, I don't think the main themes or ideas that TH wants to convey are different between these two mediums. The main caveat is that hidden lines in the novel have to be even more hidden in the drama due to censorship reasons. It's also possible that some actors may not have always properly portrayed the intended emotions for their characters. *cough* Jing *cough* Xiao Yao *cough*

Even with these caveats, we can see many ideas from the novel carry through to the drama. For example, when Xiao Yao meets A Heng, upon seeing Jing, A Heng asks her, "Is there no one else who treats you well? Why him?" Since A Heng was a witch doctor in Bai Li, like the witch king, she could probably sense that Xiao Yao had a lovers bug in her body, but Jing didn't. Thus, A Heng must have known that Jing could not possibly be Xiao Yao's true love, and she wasn't his biggest fan.

In the drama, we see how the painting of Chi Chen and A Heng to transform into Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao holding hands when Xiang Liu's presence activates it during his visit to the home. In contrast, the painting never activated when Jing visited. 

solarlunareclipse:
Xiang Liu had long viewed Xiao Yao as his wife and did his best to ensure she would live well after he was gone.

If you think about it, the love bugs is like the marriage certificate. Actually, it's much more sacred than just a marriage certificate. In a marriage, you can always change your mind and get a divorce. But with the bugs, if you have a change of heart and decide to back out, you die. Period.

The song of the merpeople is their wedding song, something only they can hear. This is exactly what I imagine it sounds like.

The crystal ball, assiduously made with the world's most precious treasures, and her poisons are the dowry from the bride. 

The clamshell is their home. They shared the same bed and pillow for 37 years in it. (And if you believe in @AH's epilogue as the unwritten cannon ending, they would share it for the remainder of eternity in the afterlife).

Their time together as playmates and their voyages in the ocean were the honeymoon.

It's certainly not a traditional marriage in the slightest, but a whole lot more poetic.

Rain_83223:
If you think about it, the love bugs is like the marriage certificate. Actually, it's much more sacred than just a marriage certificate. In a marriage, you can always change your mind and get a divorce. But with the bugs, if you have a change of heart and decide to back out, you die. Period.

I've said something like this before, but not everyone agrees.  If he thought XY knew about the bug, which he isn't sure, then it would be a sort of confession.  As it is, at the very least, it's him learning that he does indeed love her.

I agree with the rest, great point about the dowry!

Rain_83223:
It's certainly not a traditional marriage in the slightest, but a whole lot more poetic.

Agreed!  I think Tong Hua made it clear that XY and XL are married with the wedding gowns in season 2.  Though some STILL deny it.  smh

solarlunareclipse:
At 14:19, one petal flies into the painting of Chi Chen and A Heng, transforming into a peach branch that Chi Chen is handing to A Heng, encapsulating their wish to see Xiao Yao marry and have children.

OMG.  I didn't even notice this, but it makes perfect sense.

solarlunareclipse:
Ditto. I agree that the drama can help enhance our understanding of the novel and vice versa. Although the plot points change, I don't think the main themes or ideas that TH wants to convey are different between these two mediums. The main caveat is that hidden lines in the novel have to be even more hidden in the drama due to censorship reasons. It's also possible that some actors may not have always properly portray the intended emotions for their characters. *cough* Jing *cough* Xiao Yao *cough*

Ever since I saw the Tong Hua interview yesterday, my mind has been racing with the additions, changes and imagery incorporated in the drama. On the surface, the hidden lines were made more opaque than ever in terms of the plot, but Tong Hua may have cleverly given us a huge surprise. I think it’s likely XY is pregnant. I’m stunned.

During the LYF symposium, Tong Hua provides her explanation for why Cang Xuan's character arc deviated from the novel:

Let me use an example to share with everyone. For example, my (understanding) of the main character Cang Xuan. When I was writing the novel, my understanding at the time was that I felt that during the later part of his journey, actually, in a certain sense, he himself had lost his own self due to power, which was why towards the later part, he took measures to assassinate Tushan Jing. I felt that this was an indication that as he continued step by step (down that path), he himself had also forgotten his original intentions and aspirations. However, in the end when I went back to write this character once more, because many of his hidden lines - his friendship with those beside him, his familial ties, including the companionship of those minor characters beside him - I myself felt that my understanding of this character has deviated in some way from in the novel. When I wrote the script, I would feel that he had undergone so much, so instead, I felt that he could overcome what came with power. That is he didn't [think that] - that is to say, you think you can do everything. Rather, he learnt to overcome, to overcome his own desires. Which is to let go of his personal love, lesser love, and choose a more magmanimous love to fulfil [the wishes of] others. In fact, in some sense, when you fulfil others, you are also fulfilling yourself at the same time.

-- Tong Hua interview 8 Aug 2024, LYF Symposium - regarding changes to Cang Xuan

cr. Weibo source

liddi:
During the LYF symposium, Tong Hua provides her explanation for why Cang Xuan's character arc deviated from the novel:

Thank you so much for translating these videos, liddi.  I was very curious when I saw it referenced.

So, between this and the other post, it appears that Tong Hua was revising her story, yet again!  As well as dealing with adapting to another medium.

I can see what she is saying, but I'm not sure I entirely agree.  And it messed up XY's decisions and the ending, as well, IMO.

Plus, in no way, 'it was a dream' a suitable solution for this change.

Rain_83223:

There is a lot of truth to your statement. The planting of the lovers bugs is like a marriage ceremony where vows are exchanged. This symbolism is made even more prevalent in the drama because YaoLiu planted the bugs in the same shell that they would later spend 37 years under the ocean together--their home and marriage bed.

Rain_83223:
The song of the merpeople is their wedding song, something only they can hear. This is exactly what I imagine it sounds like.

It is a hauntingly beautiful song. Thanks for sharing. 

Rain_83223:
The crystal ball, assiduously made with the world's most precious treasures, and her poisons are the dowry from the bride. 

Interesting perspective with the poisons being Xiao Yao's dowry. However, if we view the planting of the bugs as the wedding ceremony, the crystal ball was made afterward. So chronologically, it may not be accurate to consider it a dowry. That said, Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu's relationship didn't exactly follow a conventional arc.

Rain_83223:
The clamshell is their home. They shared the same bed and pillow for 37 years in it.

Agree. That makes it all the more heartbreaking when Xiang Liu destroys it after he kills the lovers bugs.

Rain_83223:
Their time together as playmates and their voyages in the ocean were the honeymoon.

Interesting perspective. The voyages to the ocean do indeed feel honeymoon-like to me. I never thought of the FFB playmate era as part of their honeymoon before, but if we consider the planting of the bugs as their marriage, then it chronologically makes sense to consider the FFB era as part of their honeymoon.

Aside from the planting of the lovers bugs, I believe that the verses of the Meeting and Missing Each Other (相见相思) song that Xiao Yao sang while luring Fei Fei foreshadows and gives a more complete understanding of YaoLiu's relationship arc.

1. Meeting and missing each other - This phase covers their initial meeting in Qing Shui Town to when Xiao Yao begins spending time with Fang Feng Bei. They both feel lonely and miss each other when they are apart.
  2. Falling in love and cherishing each other - This phase begins with Fang Feng Bei teaching Xiao Yao archery and ends with the assassination attempt on Xiao Yao in the cherry blossom forest. Although they start falling in love before the implantation of the poisonous lover's bugs, Xiang Liu isn't very considerate or patient towards Xiao Yao until he decides to approach her as Fang Feng Bei. As Fang Feng Bei, Xiang Liu demonstrates to Xiao Yao that he cherishes her.
  3. Accompanying and depending on each other - This refers to the 37 years Xiao Yao spends with Xiang Liu under the sea. This is the quiet, domestic phase of their relationship, almost like married life.
  4. Forgetting and remembering each other - This refers to the phase following Xiang Liu waking Xiao Yao up from her 37-year coma. By this time, Xiang Liu, had already made the decision to distance himself from Xiao Yao because he thinks it is best for her.

Ironically, the "forgetting and remembering each other" verse was changed when Jing first hears this song. The changes reflects Xiao Yao's feelings regarding her last interaction with Fang Feng Bei in Chapter 19 before he leaves to handle business in Qing Shui Town. Fang Feng Bei's departure precedes Xiao Yao singing this song to Jing, Xin Yue, and Feng Long.

1. Why is there sorrow and joy in the world? - Xiao Yao painstakingly handcrafted a koi fish frolicking in lotus pond poison dish and confessed to Fang Feng Bei that he is her soulmate. She feels dejected because he didn't answer her confession.
  2. Why there are gatherings and partings in life? - Fang Feng Bei had to leave for a while to handle business in Qing Shui Town.
  3. Only wish to be with you - Xiao Yao wants to be with Xiang Liu/Fang Feng Bei. This is her confession to him.
  4. Staying together forever, never parting - Before Fang Feng Bei left, Xiao Yao expressed her desire for him to stay Fang Feng Bei forever. She wishes Xiang Liu would give up the responsibilities that make him the enemy of Cang Xuan and her bloodline so they can be together without opposition.

If you believe in a YaoLiu reunion after the end of the novel, the second version of the song could foreshadow YaoLiu's relationship arc after the reunion. They'll go through the entire cycle of meeting and missing each other, falling in love and cherishing each other, accompanying and depending on each other, and finally, they will be able to stay together forever and never part.

Rain_83223:
 Kokuto:
Agreed!  I think Tong Hua made it clear that XY and XL are married with the wedding gowns in season 2.  Though some STILL deny it.  smh

Agree that YaoLiu's marriage is a whole lot more poetic than a traditional marriage. Also agree that TH made it clear in the drama that YaoLiu are married through the wedding gowns. Thank you both for sharing your thoughts on this.

Snowcup:
On the surface, the hidden lines were made more opaque than ever in terms of the plot, but Tong Hua may have cleverly given us a huge surprise. I think it’s likely XY is pregnant. I’m stunned.

I did notice that when A Heng's image transforms into Xiao Yao's image, Xiao Yao's belly looks comparatively larger than A Heng's. Perhaps this is a nod to A Heng and Chi Chen's wish to see Xiao Yao have children.

liddi:
I myself felt that my understanding of this character has deviated in some way from in the novel. When I wrote the script, I would feel that he had undergone so much, so instead, I felt that he could overcome what came with power. That is he didn't [think that] - that is to say, you think you can do everything. Rather, he learnt to overcome, to overcome his own desires. Which is to let go of his personal love, lesser love, and choose a more magmanimous love to fulfil [the wishes of] others. In fact, in some sense, when you fulfil others, you are also fulfilling yourself at the same time.

Thanks for sharing, liddi. It's very interesting to hear that TH intentionally deviated some characters from the novel version.

I think that by the end of the novel, CX understood that XY loved Xiang Liu, who was the one buried deepest in her heart. I wonder if Drama!CX had the same realization (since he knew that FFB is XL). If so, that explains why CX asked Ru Shou to try to get XL to surrender during the final battle and offered him very generous conditions. CX was doing his best to try to fulfill XY, knowing that XL was the one she truly loved.

Had another song-reminder moment today. Heard "You Raise Me Up" and couldn't help but think of YaoLiu. Especially with the extra stanza in the original Secret Garden lyrics.

Original Lyrics:

When I am down, and oh my soul so weary
When troubles come, and my heart burdened be
Then I am still and wait here in the silence
Until you come and sit awhile with me

You raise me up so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas
I am strong when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be

Chorus

There is no life, no life without its hunger
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly
But when you come and I am filled with wonder
Sometimes I think I glimpse eternity

Chorus

You raise me up to more than I can be

Sorry for the delay, felt a bit overwhelmed and needed some time to process.

Having just joined the conversation, I’m not entirely sure what’s been discussed so far, and my recent realization might be something that others have already considered.

To begin, I generally prefer to keep my observations organic, though I do enjoy sharing and discussing viewpoints, as these often offer new insights for me. To avoid rehashing what may have already been covered, here are a few recent observations I made about the novel and the drama.

In both the novel and the drama, the author employs a similar style of subterfuge to conceal the deepest "buried layer," though she adapts her methods to suit each medium and achieve her intentions.

In the novel, the author uses elliptical writing (omitting details and relying on the reader's ability to infer), double talk (dialogue that is confusing or illogical in context), and narrative misdirection to disguise and obscure the truth. All three techniques are reserved for the novel’s buried layer.

In the drama, however, TH, as the scriptwriter, uses symbolic imagery to confirm and reveal the novel’s buried layer. The imagery is cloaked, much like the literary tools used in the novel, so that these images can easily be overlooked or dismissed as inconsequential. But there are no accidents, and they can vanish in the blink of an eye. TH is cunning in how she utilizes imagery and changes dialogue. She replaces or alters familiar objects from the novel and rearranges dialogue to emphasize a point or evoke a past event. Added dialogue is purposeful and carries meaning beyond the surface.

Given that the drama omits key scenes from the novel to maintain its external facade, the deliberate inclusion of certain symbolic elements is telling. When I realized how these modifications would be understood only by a small segment of the audience, it’s clear the painstaking effort to unveil these layers is a gift from the author to YaoLiu and her novel readers.

Snowcup:
Having just joined the conversation, I’m not entirely sure what’s been discussed so far, and my recent realization might be something that others have already considered.

Don't worry about what has come before.  Folks will either direct you to a conversation or just talk about it more. :)

Snowcup:
In the drama, however, TH, as the scriptwriter, uses symbolic imagery to confirm and reveal the novel’s "buried layer.” The imagery is cloaked, much like the literary tools used in the novel, so that these images can easily be overlooked or dismissed as inconsequential. But there are no accidents, and they can vanish in the blink of an eye. TH is cunning in how she utilizes imagery and changes dialogue. She replaces or alters familiar objects from the novel and rearranges dialogue to emphasize a point or evoke a past event. Added dialogue is purposeful and carries meaning beyond the surface.

Oh, now I'm curious.  Do you have any specific examples?  Them both wearing red wedding gowns during XY's seven day wait, as they stared at each other is the most obvious to me.

There's been some comments about the missing figure in XY's last poison gift to XL, the crystal ball with the mercouple in it.  Unlike the book, XL didn't add a figure (whose identity was a point of discussion), as was done in the novel.  Instead, they used a disappearing merman stalking behind the bigger sea shell, to create a transition to XL rescuing Jing.

Snowcup:
Given that the drama omits key scenes from the novel to maintain its external facade, the deliberate inclusion of certain symbolic elements is telling. When I realized how these modifications would be understood only by a small segment of the audience, it’s clear the painstaking effort to unveil these layers is a gift from the author to YaoLiu and her novel readers.

Sometimes, I wish the gifts were a little more obvious, when having to talk to some folks ... but then again, since they can't understand what LOVERS Bug means, it probably would just be ignored anyway. ;p