We are performing scheduled database maintenance, which may cause temporary downtime. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.
 AH :
Very true. Although a height difference that was still significant, but less extreme than in the Manhua, can still be good.

That's true.

AH :
Yep. Not sure if it will continue any further though. I think I read something last year about the person doing the English scans not continuing. 

That's very disappointing news. Hopefully someone else will take up the mantle. If all else fails, there is still the Chinese version available. Knowing the novel as well as we do, it should not be difficult to deduce which scenes are illustrated.

AH :
I thought it might be a demon vs. deity thing (where they decided to give deities certain eye colours and demons certain eye colours), but not sure. It does seem inconsistent with the idea that FFB is supposed to be XL with no magic or transformations at play. Just a bit of hair dye added and his armour taken off. 

I don't know either. There is artistic license to consider, of course. Either way, nothing that would significantly spoil the enjoyment of the manhua. Just curious why they felt it necessary to do so.

AH :
Hadn't seen this! This is past the point where the English translation cuts off. 

Yes, these scenes have not been covered in the English version yet. Hopefully it catches up sometime in the near future.

Some more...

Doggy Bei:

"How about I hug you? I am willing to use my handsome man wiles on you."

"Why not stop being a princess, and follow me to roam the world?"

You would have seen this one, but I love how cool Fangfeng Bei looked here. It's pretty ironic that the drama waters down a lot of scenes, such as the aerial battles between Cang Xuan and Xiang Liu's men in Qingshui town. However, when Fangfeng Bei had his arrow aimed at Cang Xuan in Xuan Yuan city, he was on a winged horse up in the sky overlooking them in the drama even though the novel had him simpily at the end of a darkened street.   

plor20:
Ah... this got pretty long. Haha. Sorry for the rant.

Rant away :-). I've done my fair share throughout this thread :-)

plor20:
The two characters where my opinions changed are XY and TSJ. My frustrations in the story have less to do with any of the love lines and more with XY's lack of courage, low self-awareness, and cowardice. I guess as a character-driven story, I was very unhappy with a lot of XY's decisions as they became dependent on how the men around made their decisions,

My opinion on Jing and XY took a massive nose-dive this time around.  It took a little longer with XY, but I've also reached the point where I find it hard to sustain sympathy for her when she spent the entire novel playing Denial is Not Just A River in Egypt and How Far Can I Bury My Head In the Sand? 

I have the same problem with her as you do. She's far too passive for my liking. I like someone who propelled the story forward - XY drifted and reacted more than anything else. The one choice that she made was clinging on to her obsession with someone who would never leave her.  But this was her "psychological deficiencies" and she never got out of this mindset - girl continued to run back into that prison when she could have gotten away and ultimately got shackled in. If it had been someone worthy, it wouldn't have been as big of an issue.  But as long as she remained tied to Jing, I can never sees her as overcoming her issues 'cause in my opinions no one with sense or good judgement would choose this man to spend their life with. Maybe once she runs off to the ocean, she'll wise up and divorce Jing. Now that would be character growth for her :-). But I'm not hopeful. Old habits died hard :-).

plor20:
This will be my forever Roman Empire for XY's character in LYF: How can you tell someone you wished to have been the one to save them, and then do NOTHING to try to save them from themselves? Blargh... nothing, not even her psychological deficiencies can excuse this kind of character devolving.

Hmm! I have a few thoughts on XY's wish that she could have been the one to save XL so that he could have just been FFB. On one hand, I do think she has good intention, but on the other it is a reflection of her inability and/or her unwillingness to deal with the hands that fate had dealed their relationship and played it to the best of her ability. There is no "if" in this world. There is only reality. A wise person knows to deal with the reality of the situation instead of wishing and hoping on the "if only". This is in character for her isn't it? Taking the safer options when it comes to matter of the hearts. 

While I don't think XY could shift XL from the path that he'd chosen (he ain't Jing and he's not going to throw asides his responsiblilty and convictions), my thing with XY is that: does not being with that person means you will love them less or that their death won't devastated you just as much?  Where's was her courage and grit? Maybe we're meant to think that it was all XL doing; that he made a unilateral decision. I don't think this is particularly convincing since so much of XL's actions were about teaching her to stand on her own two feet and fight for what she wants. Her "psychological deficiencies" are reasons, but not excuses. Particularly as the story progress and her growth was barely existence.

plor20:
I know some women found XY to be someone to look up to, and I just couldn't bring myself to do the same. In the end, there are two types of women who enjoyed LYF: those who aspire to be someone like XY and those who understand someone like XY

XY does have some good points. Unfortnately, she also messy in the way that she manage her romantic entanglement - with a streak of selfishness and cowardliness in the matter of the heart. XY's biggest strength is her survival instinct - honed from all those years wandering the wilderness. You put her in a life-threatening situation and she shined - a lot of physical courage, but lacking emotional courage. She's in many ways an emotionally stunted child/adolescent who actions focused on survival/security. She's not someone I would described as wise. Like an adolescent, she thinks she knows it all, but wisdom required self-knowledge, self-honesty and self-acceptance and XY is no where close to achieving these things.  Definately not someone I admired or want to emulate.

plor20:
whereas in the drama, a more courageous XY is portrayed.

I'm not a huge fan of drama XY.  Perhaps due to the changes in the script so YZ chose to play XY in a different way, but I find drama's XY brittle. She lacks novel's XY sense of vulnerability and young-ness. Novel's XY comes across like she knows she fronting, whereas drama's XY comes across like she have zero self-awareness so her confident/courage appeared to be hubris. To me, the changes that they are looking to make with this character makes her quite one note.

plor20:
When I saw the banners in WeTV, the only person that caught my eye was XL

TJC's XL was also what caught my eyes and got me intrigued to give the series a go. Read the books a few years ago, loved XL but wasn't planning on watching. Until I watched a Youtube video of XL's fight scenes. while I was on a bus in Budapest (I even remembered the moment :-)). The styling, the bad ass attitude and mannerisms. I'm shallow, a hot man will get my attention :-). Thankfully, TJC also delivered on the acting front.

I admit that TJC's XL was the primary reason I slogged through the series since the plot is not the best. Poor CX, despite being the official ml, I feel like the author didn't write him and his story strong enough to stand on their own and the adaptation didn't improve on these aspects. The less that is said about the other two characters, the better :-). 

The series does have other merits, but my interest in idol romance dramas have wanned during the past few years and it's getting rarer for me to finish a series. Often liberal used of the fast forwards button is how I complete a series these days. For whatever reasons, these series no longer appeal to me much. Just like how I used to read copious amount of romance novels, but haven't touched one in years. It makes me a bit sad, since I used to derive a lot of enjoyment from them. 

So despite its flaws, I'm grateful that LYF gave me TJC's XL and reignited my love for this character. It has been a long while since I got so emotionally invested in a fictional character and it's nice to experience the emotional up and downs that goes with it.

solarlunareclipse:
Said aloud in Chinese, this is a pun that can have the exact opposite meaning:

"我所说全不属实…."
"Wǒ suǒ shuō quánbù shǔshí..."
"Nothing I say is true..."

liddi:
Hm. Interesting take. I agree that she is an unreliable narrator, but never felt that what was actually written is meant to be interpreted based on what it potentially sounds like. Do you know of other instances in the novel where this happened?

This reminded me of The Legend of Shen Li where the female lead (in her "chicken" form) interprets the ML saying he sells ginseng as he sells his body :-). The homonym in the language gave rise to some funny misunderstandings and play on meaning.

I think we talked about this way earlier in the thread when we were discussing Dreams of the Red Chamber where the author of that novel also used homonyms of words to "hide in plain sight" some of the themes of the story. Since we know that TH was influenced by Dreams in writing LYF, could that be the case here?

And didn't we talk about how XL wish for XY to have a happy and worry-free life when said out loud sounds like "I love you"?

@HeadInTheClouds

A bit off topic, but is The Legend of Shen Li worth watching? 

Kokuto:

Do you ever save a pic, than forget where it came from.  Like I JUST saved this pic to translate, and now I can't find the post where it came from.  sigh.

Anyway, I'll look more later.  But the gist of it was that someone else on weibo had also came up with the life span predictions and that XY's would have been better off timewise with XL, given Jing's lifespan is so short after his tail amputation and near death.  They also said a 100 years, but then they extended it cause ... Jing would drink XY's blood EVERY DAY to make it to 300 years!

O_O

Oh, how the wheel turns.  lol!

Did you ever find the post mentioned here @Kokuto?

Sorry. Taking a trip to older post looking for something and found this comment.

blabla100:

@HeadInTheClouds

A bit off topic, but is The Legend of Shen Li worth watching? 

I can't give you a solid answer since I'm only a few episodes in so it could go either way. It has been fun so far. ZYL and I Can't Remember His Name have some good chemistry and the female lead is more mature than your typical idol fantasy romance. It's nice to see that. 

I would say that it's worth a shot.

HeadInTheClouds:

I can't give you a solid answer since I'm only a few episodes in so it could go either way. It has been fun so far. ZYL and I Can't Remember His Name have some good chemistry and the female lead is more mature than your typical idol fantasy romance. It's nice to see that. 

I would say that it's worth a shot.

Ah, I am very picky these days with dramas. Thank you for the infos, maybe I'll give it a go too. 

liddi:
Pomegranate is an auspicious symbol that means "abundance in all things", particularly sons. This is normally a blessing given to couples on their wedding, for them to have many children. As such, in my opinion, it makes sense to have the symbol of a pomegranate on a boy doll as a wedding gift.

So this has nothing to do with whether it was a boy doll or dudou, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that putting the bib with the pomegranate on the doll somehow sounds like saying "It is Liu", i.e. that the doll comes from Xiang Liu. Was it not on this thread?

liddi:
Xiang Liu as a man, and the way he loved Xiao Yao - we rail at him for refusing to say anything, yet I love him exactly because he is a man of integrity, who would never offer up a promise he could never keep, and would give his all to fulfil what he has pledged. How his love empowers her, rather than coddles, because he is practical and wants her to go on to have a good life when the time comes and he has to leave.

Yes. What is it about this character that for the readers/viewers who loved him, it's so difficult to let go? It's a mixture of admiration and a deep sadness that makes your heart ache for him. And it's him as an individual, not just as part of YaoLiu. I've come across quite a number of readers who are just his fans and don't really care about the relationship. To the point that they bought and named a star after him.

liddi:
But time and again, I feel the need to walk away for a while, because the novel still manages to elicit pain, just when I think that I have moved way past it, even though I have accepted what cannot be changed.

Sometimes I feel like a nut, thinking about something from the novel and getting teary. It's hormones :-).

blabla100:

Ah, I am very picky these days with dramas. Thank you for the infos, maybe I'll give it a go too. 

Hmm! If you're really picky then it may not be for you. I suspect that it will follow the path of well-worn idol romance drama tropes - but with leads that are more mature in their outlook and actions. Probably good for entertainment, but if you want something more immersive and engaged you on an emotional level, I don't think it will deliver.

windiaaa041293:

And did you know, they blamed TH for being too biased. They said as a writer, even if you have a favorite character, don't be biased & write a story that supports everyone, but luckily Deng Wei brought Jing's character to life, which impressed many people.SMH..

They shouldn't be too greedy. TH let Jing live to sail the oceans with XY at the end, in exchange he gets to be a spineless/depowered doormat with zero character growth. Did they expect her to make him as wonderful as XL and let him live? Come on now, TH isn't happy unless she's torturing her characters in some way. Plus, she likes things to be realistic. Selfish cowards tend to live longer than selfless, honourable people :-).

liddi:

You know you're in trouble when you would bother to download a dress them up (!!) mobile game 盛世芳华 and play it even though it bores you to tears, just because they have a LYF collab and the PV is gorgeous.

PV is available on Weibo and Bilibili.

Haven't completed the entire story yet, but the in-game storyline is basically the MC listening to a storyteller recount the events of LYF. Clearly, it is pretty much summarised but pleasantly surprised quite a lot of the important main details are captured. 

Very pretty!

Image 3 = XL (with white hair and a neat appearance) is with XY (in her female form / not WXL / not in red wedding attire) on water and looking up at the moon. 

Is this a variation of chapter 4 when XL took WXL to the ocean to watch the moon rise? 

Since XL's hair isn't dyed black, I assume this is not their ocean date from chapter 26. 

Since XL's appearance is neat and XY is not wearing wedding attire, I assume it's not from chapter 43.

Based on their positions and the way XY is looking at XL, I assume it's not from chapter 46. 

Image 4 = XY with a drawn arrow aimed at XL, who already has a blood stain on his robes above his heart. 

This must be a depiction of chapter 46, but it seems they changed the details from the original text. In the novel, XY's first arrow struck XL in the chest, but explicitly not where the heart is because XL told her that she needed to be more accurate to kill him and pointed to his heart. Plus her arrow remained lodged in his chest for the remainder of their encounter - he didn't pull it out (leaving only a blood stain to show for it) until after Left Ear took XY away and he gave the blood pill to the merman. Her second arrow only grazed his arm. 

Image 5 = XL on the surface of the ocean under the moonlight with a blood stain on his robes above his heart and XY in his arms, apparently unconscious. 

I assume this is supposed to be the last night that XL and XY spent together during the 37 years of healing in chapter 22, when XL took XY to the surface to "see" the full moon, But again some of the details seem a bit off. XL brought XY to the surface and then took her back to the clam shell under water for the last round of healing to wake her up. So his robes would not have been bloodstained when they went to the surface. And the moon is a bit odd. In addition to not seeming to be full, the artist seems to have made the mistake of depicting a cresent moon with stars visible where the non-illuminated / in-shadow part of the moon should be. As if that part of the moon were transparent or non-existent.

Image 9 = TSJ holding XY's body in his arms after her assasination. 

Giving TSJ fox ears and showing his nine tails when he tapped into his power I get, but they also gave him silver hair?? This seems too close to XL!

Image 12 = The interruption of XY's wedding with Feng Long. 

They changed the details so that CX was present at the wedding instead of moping alone. 

They also gave TSJ blue hair and fox ears - even in a scene where he wouldn't have been tapping into his power? 

And most significant of all they changed it so that XL (with his white hair and white robes) was the one interrupting the wedding, rather than FFB!

HeadInTheClouds:
This reminded me of The Legend of Shen Li where the female lead (in her "chicken" form) interprets the ML saying he sells ginseng as he sells his body :-). The homonym in the language gave rise to some funny misunderstandings and play on meaning.

Nice! My sister-in-law recommended The Legend of Shen Li to me. I'll have to check it out. 

HeadInTheClouds:
And didn't we talk about how XL wish for XY to have a happy and worry-free life when said out loud sounds like "I love you"?

Are you referring to when XL said this in the epilogue?

"愿你一世安乐无忧!"
"Yuàn nǐ yīshì ānlè wú yōu!"
"Wishing you a lifetime of peace and happiness without worries!"

I don't see any obvious pun, but my Chinese language skills are not the best. The various names and nicknames for XY and XL do sound alike though:

• 小夭 (Xiao Yao) and 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao), Xiao Yao's formal name, sounds similar to Xiang Liu's nickname, 九头妖 (Jiu Tou Yao), meaning nine-headed demon.
  • 小六 (Xiao Liu) and 相柳 (Xiang Liu) sound somewhat similar.

This truly all-white version of XL (even the band tying back his hair appears to be white, instead of jade-coloured) makes me think of WWX's comment about LWJ: always wearing mourning clothes / dressed for a funeral. 

"If it had been someone worthy, it wouldn't have been as big of an issue.  But as long as she remained tied to Jing, I can never sees her as overcoming her issues 'cause in my opinions no one with sense or good judgement would choose this man to spend their life with. "

That's my main issue with XY. Jing is just not worthy. If TH would have build Jing as someone who is able to keep and fight for his promises, than honestly no matter how much I love XL, I would have sided with XY in chosing Jing, even though he's not my type. What does XY likes în Jing besides the fact that he loves her is beyond me. Or maybe as Xing Yue said it, most women will eventually choose to live a long life next to someone who's like water, rather than going after the fire to burn them up. As WXL she would have probably chose the one she loves, as XY she went after the one who loves her. Not saying XL loved her less than Jing, but personally I am still not certain of how much XY did or didn't know about his feelings. 

"I have a few thoughts on XY's wish that she could have been the one to save XL so that he could have just been FFB."

Well from her own experience, she was the one who saved Jing, therefore Jing has the will to commit himself to her, despite not having the ability. In her mind duty and  gratitude equals commitment and love. Her mom chose duty over her. Her 4th uncle chose duty over his family. XL was saved by Gong Gong, therefore XL chose duty and gratitude over his own happiness.  As WXL she took in elders and orphans to have them depended on her in order for them not to leave her.  She ultimately believes Jing saved her by making her wish come true, so she commits herself to him, never to find out that the one who saved her was in fact XL. XL went to great lenghts not to make XY feel indebted to him, because who has eyes for Jing otherwise. The lovers bugs is the only testimony of love in its purest form, the only love without any ties to this whole savior mentality that's been going on throughout the whole novel.  

Jing to XY is similar to what loyalty is to XL and the throne to CX, a wish come true, but they all made their wish come true at the cost of love. XY lost XL, CX lost XY, XL lost XY and Jing even though ended up next to the one he loves, he lost the chance to meet someone who can genuinly love him back too.