exol_evanism:

Sorry, but he's too pathetic for me to respect him

Yeah, he's not for everybody. It's so strange. I've noticed YaoJing is ranked first in some polls but I barely see any fan edits of this couple especially on YouTube. It's actually YaoLiu that has a lot of fan art and videos. And the videos get a lot more views compared to the other couple too.

So behind on this topic ... But something I was wondering about.

Do we ever see XL actually eat something in the drama?  Or in the book?  Other than XY and poison, that is?

Not FFB, cause that guy clearly loves to eat.

So I was listening to music on shuffle today and Whitney Houston's cover of "I Will Always Love You" came on. From time to time I'll have a fictional couple on my brain constantly enough that when I listen to music I automatically pay attention to the lyrics to see if they fit with the couple, and in this case it was painfully on point. As if XL's thoughts were put into lyrics.

If I should stay,
I would only be in your way.
So I'll go, but I know
I'll think of you every step of the way.

And I will always love you.
I will always love you.
You, my darling you. Hmm.

Bittersweet memories
that is all I'm taking with me.
So, goodbye. Please, don't cry.
We both know I'm not what you, you need.

I will always love you.

I hope life treats you kind
And I hope you have all you've dreamed of.
And I wish to you, joy and happiness.
But above all this, I wish you love.

I will always love you.
I will always love you.
I will always love you.
I will always love you.
I, I will always love you.

You, darling, I love you.
Ooh, I'll always, I'll always love you.

It makes me think of both the end of the novel as XL prepares for his death (cutting ties with her, erasing the memories in her mirror, and reviving TSJ for her), and also the end of XY's 37 years in the clam shell when he doesn't stay to greet her when she wakes up and instead sends her off to save and reunite with TSJ. And when XY cried into Furball's neck before parting from him. 

And it really feels like it captures his last sentiments in his epilogue: 

Remembering our first meeting in Qing Shui Town, you were full of tricks, with a mouth full of made-up crap. But the only thing you said that was true was: I have no ability to protect myself, no one to rely on, and nowhere to go.

After over ten years of teaching you archery, you now have the ability to protect yourself. You don’t need to use your own body to protect someone you treasure when danger is around. The right man for you. You now have someone to rely on. You don’t have to be all alone anymore with solitude as your companion. The sky is vast and oceans deep. You now have a place to go and don’t need to be chased by people and be without a place to call home.

Xiang Liu thought to himself: Xiao Yao, from now on I can no longer stand watch to protect you. You have to take good care of yourself. Wishing you a lifetime of worry free happiness!

He hopes for her to have all the things she's dreamed of (including the ability to protect herself, a person to rely on, and a place to go). He wishes her joy, happiness, and love. 

I wanted to listen to it in a lower register and found a cover that was pretty close to what I was looking for: https://youtu.be/gbhtn1xYjBQ?si=inxF_z7NXhYoJLKP&t=5. And now I'm just listening to it on repeat.

Kokuto:

So behind on this topic ... But something I was wondering about.

Do we ever see XL actually eat something in the drama?  Or in the book?  Other than XY and poison, that is?

Not FFB, cause that guy clearly loves to eat.

Yes, we see him eat a few times in the book. I don't recall any in the drama though.

*This is early in the story [chapter 2]. This is when Xiang Liu captured Xiao Yao (still in her male form) and they were both in the tent*

Xiao Liu’s arms and legs were tied and he couldn’t move so after some time he was so sore. At night the soldiers brought food and Xiang Liu casually ate. Xiao Liu was thirsty and hungry and seeing that Xiang Liu wasn’t going to feed him then he tried to think of something else.

He thought that Shi Qi must’ve come to look for him but there was no way he could find this place. He probably went back to town. Xiang Liu finished the meal and lazily laid down on the pallet to leisurely read a book.

Chapter 3

Xiang Liu took the cooked fish and slowly started to eat it and Xiao Liu could only stare. After he finished the fish he stared at Xiao Liu “I actually like eating people the best. Your size is perfect so that each of my heads can take a bite.” 

Also, I could've sworn I read in the novel that Xiang Liu would visit Xiao Yao's clinic from time to time and eat snacks there.

EDIT: NVM I FOUND IT.

After Ma Zi’s wedding, Nine Lives Xiang Liu would occasionally come and sit in the clinic courtyard and drink a few cups of Xiao Liu’s wine and nibble on a few of Xiao Liu’s snacks

Kokuto:

Yes, in chapter 26. XY roasts fish and makes soup for him. He returns the favour as XL (not FFB) in chapter 43.

The food that XY makes for XL is not pure poison, but she does add some special "seasoning" for him ^^

---

Chapter 26:

When they reached the surface it was already sunset. Xiao Yao realized they spent a day and a night under the sea. Xiang Liu took Xiao Yao to an island, Xiao Yao grilled two fishes for herself and roasted a giant suckling pig-sized fish for Xiang Liu. She used a conch shell to make a seafood soup. She carried her herb pouch with her everywhere but she didn’t use any seasonings on her fish but sprinkled it on Xiang Liu’s fish. It wasn’t even done cooking yet but the mouthwatering scent wafted everywhere.

Xiao Yao stared at it and started drooling but she didn’t have the guts to eat it and instead docilely ate her two fish.

Xiang Liu took a bite of his fish and made a rare compliment to Xiao Yao “The taste is pretty good.”

Xiao Yao smiled and asked “I’ll drink the soup first, and then afterwards I’ll season it for you. Do you mind drinking after me?”

Xiang Liu casually replied “You drink first.”

Xiao Yao drank her soup and felt full and warm as her clothes were dry by now. She was very relaxed and comfortable and sprinkled poison in the soup and it mixed with the seafood to make an even more tasty flavor.

Xiang Liu wasn’t afraid of the heat and picked up the conch shell and drank the soup directly as he ate the fish.

Xiao Yao wrapped her arms around her knees and stared at the stars in the sky and listened to the waves crashing on the rocks.

After Xiang Liu was done eating he said “Let’s go back.”

Xiao Yao didn’t move and continued to stare at the ocean. If it was possible, she really wanted to live like this for the rest of her life.

“Xiao Yao?” Xiang Liu stood before Xiao Yao. She raised her head to stare at him and smiled “Don’t you feel like today was a day we stole to spend together? That there is only now and no tomorrow!”

Xiang Liu was taken aback and said nothing. Xiao Yao pointed to the horizon “What’s over there?”

“Endless ocean.”

“No land?”

“Scattered islands.”

“What kind of islands?”

“Some islands have not even a blade of grass, others as beautiful as a dreamscape.”

Xiao Yao sighed, “I really want to go see.”

Xiang Liu remained silent and then whistled once before Furball arrived. He vaulted on its back and Xiao Yao had no choice but to stand up and climb on.

---

Chapter 43:

And with that Xiao Yao fell asleep and finally stopped talking.

Xiang Liu stopped drinking and lifted his head to stare quietly at the sleeping Xiao Yao in his arms.

Xiao Yao woke up lured by the delicious smell of food. She opened her eyes and saw Xiang Liu by the fire roasting fish. The fish was already golden and crispy, the fat dripping into the fire. Xiao Yao crawled over on her arms and legs and stared at the fish while asking in longing, “Can I eat it?”

Xiang Liu placed the fish on a large shell plate and handed it to her, on the white shell was a side of vegetables made with seaweed.

Xiao Yao swallowed and started gobbling down the food. She didn’t even stop to talk until all the fish and seaweed was in her belly before sighing. “So good! So so good!”

“You’re just hungry.” Xiang Liu handed over a shell bowl with piping hot seafood soup and Xiao Yao took it with both hands and slowly sipped it.

After finishing the soup Xiao Yao said, “Thank you!”

Xiang Liu coldly replied, “No need! This is the payment for your blood.”

Xiao Yao pouted. “Am I worth so little?”

“What do you want then?”

Xiao Yao said, “My thank you was for saving me! You haven’t forgotten why you were injured in the first place, right?”

Xiang Liu furrowed his brows. “It’s not that I wanted to save you, I simply have no interest to use my own life to confirm the words of the Voodoo King.”

Oh! Right, the Lover’s Bug! The Lover’s Bug does not live alone, if she died then likely Xiang Liu would die. Xiao Yao smiled sadly. “No matter what, thank you for saving me.”

Kokuto:
Do we ever see XL actually eat something in the drama?

I have to correct myself. Even though the novel refers to him as Xiang Liu throughout chapter 26, his hair is black (the drama adaptation reminded me) so he's sort of half FFB and half XL in that chapter. 

https://youtu.be/9GekPOMZECY?si=ltzvNgwEU8bYhTv0&t=8162 The scene adapted from chapter 26. Seafood + poison.

AH :

I have to correct myself. Even though the novel refers to him as Xiang Liu throughout chapter 26, his hair is black (the drama adaptation reminded me) so he's sort of half FFB and half XL in that chapter. 

https://youtu.be/9GekPOMZECY?si=ltzvNgwEU8bYhTv0&t=8162 The scene adapted from chapter 26. Seafood + poison.

Right.  That's a confusing mix in the drama.

@Elise

Yes, we see him eat a few times in the book. I don't recall any in the drama though.

*This is early in the story [chapter 2]. This is when Xiang Liu captured Xiao Yao (still in her male form) and they were both in the tent*

Xiao Liu’s arms and legs were tied and he couldn’t move so after some time he was so sore. At night the soldiers brought food and Xiang Liu casually ate. Xiao Liu was thirsty and hungry and seeing that Xiang Liu wasn’t going to feed him then he tried to think of something else.

He thought that Shi Qi must’ve come to look for him but there was no way he could find this place. He probably went back to town. Xiang Liu finished the meal and lazily laid down on the pallet to leisurely read a book.

Ah, so he did in the book.  Thank you!

Oh, seriously? Not "I Will Always Love You" making me dehydrated. I'm running out of tears

Elise:
EDIT: NVM I FOUND IT.

After Ma Zi’s wedding, Nine Lives Xiang Liu would occasionally come and sit in the clinic courtyard and drink a few cups of Xiao Liu’s wine and nibble on a few of Xiao Liu’s snacks. 

That paragraph is one of my favourites in the whole novel. The beginning of their companionship. I'm so sad they weren't able to adapt it for the drama. 

nathsketch:

Oh, seriously? Not "I Will Always Love You" making me dehydrated. I'm running out of tears

I know it's sappy and dramatic, but it felt so accurate </3

@AH  VIP

So I was listening to music on shuffle today and Whitney Houston's cover of "I Will Always Love You" came on. From time to time I'll have a fictional couple on my brain constantly enough that when I listen to music I automatically pay attention to the lyrics to see if they fit with the couple, and in this case it was painfully on point. As if XL's thoughts were put into lyrics.

It makes me think of both the end of the novel as XL prepares for his death (cutting ties with her, erasing the memories in her mirror, and reviving TSJ for her), and also the end of XY's 37 years in the clam shell when he doesn't stay to greet her when she wakes up and instead sends her off to save and reunite with TSJ. And when XY cried into Furball's neck before parting from him. 

I wanted to listen to it in a lower register and found a cover that was pretty close to what I was looking for: https://youtu.be/gbhtn1xYjBQ?si=inxF_z7NXhYoJLKP&t=5. I'd now I'm just listening to it on repeat.

Now you've made me wish Tan Jian Ci would sing it.

That's an great choice!  It does fit so well and captures the feeling perfectly.

AH :

That paragraph is one of my favourites in the whole novel. The beginning of their companionship. I'm so sad they weren't able to adapt it for the drama. 

I loved their early friendship. I remember Xiang Liu also had a swimming race with Xiao Yao. In the drama, he didn't and just rode on Furball which made him look colder 😭

AH :

I know it's sappy and dramatic, but it felt so accurate </3

It's way too accurate *sobs*

Hey guys, do you remember having a fictional character that made you lose your mind like this? It can be from literature, film, tv show, etc.

I honestly can't remember anything quite like it.