tofuscramble:

“I remember someone telling me, XL didn't even allow XY to love him. Only he can love her, but not vice versa.”

Really? I didn't get that from today's episodes... I felt XY was being a little cruel to him… maybe I’m reading too much into it.

I meant, in general. Not the episodes today.

I had a virtual friend who read the novel and also is watching the drama. That's her interpretation of it after reading it.

chase_kayden:

I had a virtual friend who read the novel and also is watching the drama. That's her interpretation of it after reading it ?

From what I read this is accurate. He didn't allow her to love him. I don't think we will see this much in season 1 though. Probably more in season 2. 

Today's episodes really showed how acting can change the whole vibe of everything because in some seasons we saw I pictured the vibe to be different. It's really cool seeing these changes as well as seeing how talented all the actors/actresses are. 

Just a question, I read during that underwater scene after XY transformed into a woman, XL "kissed" her in the novel but not in the drama. Is that true?

I hope we don't wait too long for S2. 

Just realised, a read in comments, some mentioned that the title of this story is written from CX’s POV, how his love is lost forever for XY who didn’t love him in romantic ways. 

But now looking at how it’s interpreted in the drama, it feels more like XY’s POV and her love for XL is lost forever. 

This is like Romeo and Juliet in another level. Their love is doomed to begin with as they’re at the opposite sides, if they force it, it will be like XY’s  parent faith, dying together. 

I haven’t read the novel but did sneak a peak at the epilogue (XL’s pov) and some of the last chapter (where XY learns about his death) and it was enough to get me tearing up! Ah I’m not ready to see that part in the drama, but do hope they include it as it is tragically beautiful. 

The way XL sealed the crystal ball (I guess it’s a globe of the mermaid?) inside a handmade wooden doll inscribed with his last words to her, sort of reflects the way he concealed his love for her all this time. He even went out of his way to make sure no one can open the doll - which was kinda hilarious but sad at the same time because she will never know how much she means to him. Perhaps it was his way of wishing she would live well but not wanting to burden her with more grief. And the way how the doll made them both smile while looking at it was endearing - makes me feel like they’re soulmates, but Jing is her Husband

He could never be the one to accompany her for the restnof time, but he made sure all her wishes/needs came true before her died. Like the hidden present with his last words, his love and heart will always be there but never known. 😭😭😭 

"He could never be the one to accompany her for the restnof time, but he made sure all her wishes/needs came true before her died. Like the hidden present with his last words, his love and heart will always be there but never known "

it's precisely this which is so gut wrenching, 

like if they did get together and he confessed to her and they live a short blissful time together but he would die in battle for his ideals and principles, she'd be left alone in agony and never remarry even with Tu Shan Jing waiting eternally to be there.

So he didn't want that for her and he let her have that happiness without guilt over him

T_T

chase_kayden:

I had a virtual friend who read the novel and also is watching the drama. That's her interpretation of it after reading it.

in the novel, we never get to see XL perspective or voice, only the epilogue to show how much he heard her 

from the beginning he has always listened to what she said, about loneliness, someone to company her at the end. He's the one who she's always had the deepest conversation with , the things she tells Xiang Liu, she's never told TSJ. 

That part where he was FFB at her coronation , he smirked - he thought she lied to him about her identity that's why he was mad at her 

The underwater kiss when she was a woman " she didnt allow him to give her breath, refusing to kiss" as she said to him "she didnt want him to be part of her dream because he would be a nightmare, she was keeping her boundaries logically" 

The mind says one thing " I cannot love him because he's not the right man" but in her heart it already contradicts her. 

her Xiyan Grandfather says she can have any man , she says "what about an engaged man (TSJ) , what about the enemy(Xiang Liu)" 

she makes poison for him, because he ask and it looks like she's always been forced to do it, but then she starts making extremely elaborate and beautiful poisons , like a woman cooking for her man ._. 

You will see later , when she's engaged to Feng Long she sends a msg to him and waits for him . Her actions always speak louder than words.

They say things to each other and then become flippant and changed topic because reality is harsher than a dream

TurboMuffin - thx for the highlights!

@TurboMuffin   Yup, I know all those you highlighted while watching the drama.

I'm just waiting for her engagement with Feng Long and the things that will transpire from there. I'm guessing that's gonna be in S2. So gonna be a long wait.

I really hope they don't skip how devastated she was at XL's death. I really liked that scene as it not only showed how much he meant to her but how much she loved him. I hope they do a good job conveying that cause I'll be slightly disappointed if it's edited out ngl. 

TurboMuffin - i cant remember who it was but   someone even joked about going into the enemy territory to snatch the white hair demon for her. Maybe it was her grandfather who said that. 

That was when XY was heartbroken over Jing's "betrayal " and marriage . 

Have you guys seen this video of TJC, someone has done a really good job with the editing, it’s only missing the English lyrics 

https://weibo.com/3606929931/NdP9GDGHa

Loving XL is a losing game, TBH.  He and XY are not destined to be together.