Really tried to like him, but can’t get passed the abusive toxic tsundere personality.  I understand he loves her but I just can’t picture him being good for her. 

I thought XL's personality and treatment changed as their relationship progressed, but that's just my take.

You might enjoy his Fang Feng Bei persona.  The circumstances (social, family, gender) change for XY and him, and the power dynamic flips.   Instead of being the most powerful in her circle, he becomes the least powerful.  Fang Feng Bei is much more human.

I feel like most people don't like XL because whenever there are dramas of generals/soldiers etc they don't have a super rough "hot and cold" or suspicious personalities. 

They seem to be more watered down if that makes sense unless the drama is not romance centric. Whereas here, XL is a general and a demon and in my perspective, the author does not seem to romanticize that? 

Not sure if romanticize is the right word to use but I'm essentially saying that TH gives XL a personality that matches his experiences and current circumstances when we are first introduced to him which readers and watchers won't initially know until further down as the story progresses. 

Additionally, to me, FFB is who XL would have been had he not been abandoned as a child, tortured, sold into slavery, etc. Furthermore, although there are other characters such as Jing and XY who also had horrible experiences, I don't think they were as long as XL's. Additionally, they have at least one family member that loves them which makes a difference/impact. XL didn't know what familial love looked like until he was able to make that deal with FFB. 

These are just some of my thoughts. 

As for him being good for her, I'm not sure tbh. In TH's story, there was never really a possibility for them to be together long term so I'm not really sure what being good or bad for her would look like in a "together forever" sort of way. Although my opinion on this changes weekly sometimes even daily ??

Kokuto:

I thought XL's personality and treatment changed as their relationship progressed, but that's just my take.

You might enjoy his Fang Feng Bei persona.  The circumstances (social, family, gender) change for XY and him, and the power dynamic flips.   Instead of being the most powerful in her circle, he becomes the least powerful.  Fang Feng Bei is much more human.

Yeah i do prefer the flirty and mischievous personality of FFB over XL

MimiLy:

Really tried to like him, but can’t get passed the abusive toxic tsundere personality.  I understand he loves her but I just can’t picture him being good for her. 

I feel like one of the biggest reasons I ended up liking XL (after initially not liking him) was that XY clearly enjoys spending time with him, wants to spend more time with him, and wishes she met him sooner and was the person who saved him (in which case, she would make him only be the version of himself that could be her companion and spend more time with her). 

Chapter 16:

When they were out playing, it was like the two of them were just enjoying life. Two people who didn’t care about anything, who were willing to try everything, became partners venturing out into the dizzying world. Many things in life feel different when done with a companion, rather than alone. Dining, no matter how delicious, just doesn’t taste as good alone. Xiao Yao believed Fang Feng Bei also understood how she felt which is why he never hesitated and introduced her to everything he could think of and then took her to experience it. Xiao Yao sometimes felt Fang Feng Bei was like a child who was lonely for too long. He had played with too many toys alone and it was no longer interesting. Now he had a companion, he couldn’t wait to take her to play, to experience what he tried. It appeared just casual but was in truth very sincere. Gradually, Xiao Yao started sincerely eating, drinking, and being merry with him.

[Xiao Yao goes on to describe how patient and thoughtful FFB is when he takes her out to shop, eat, and hike in the mountains.]

Chapter 19: 

Every few days she would go find Fang Feng Bei to practice archery and afterwards head to the city of Zhi Yi and Zhe Province to play. Fang Feng Bei lived up to his reputation as a consummate ne’er-do-well playboy for the last four hundred years, he knew Zhi Yi and Zhe Province like the back of his hand. Whatever nook and cranny had something fun, he could find it, whatever was tasty, he would find it. The two of them were each other’s companion as they enjoyed life’s endless pleasures…

When she was with Fang Feng Bei, Xiao Yao often forgot her identity and she would feel like she was still Wen Xiao Liu except wearing girl clothes… Xiao Yao knew Fang Feng Bei was Xiang Liu, but because this wasn’t the battlefield and he wasn’t being a cold and ruthless battle god, it was like he took off his armor and resumed living the ordinary life as well. He was a spare son who didn’t have any ambition or influence, she was an ordinary goddess girl with very low power. No one ever paid them any attention…

Xiao Yao stared at the empty plate and her heart soared. “The only person who can make poisons this tasty in the entire world is me!” Bei laughed back “And the only person in the entire world who can appreciate your great “cooking” talents is me!” Xiao Yao sassed back “It’s enough to have a true soulmate.” … Xiao Yao couldn’t help it and sighed loudly and murmured, “If only you can forever be Fang Feng Bei, that would be so great!

Chapter 23:

Xiao Yao walked and talked. “I was thinking that when you escaped the slave death-match arena, wouldn’t it have been great if I was the one who saved you? If that was the case, then I would let you only be Fang Feng Bei. I really hate that I wasn’t born a few hundred years earlier. I would definitely find you in the slave death-match arena!” Bei stopped and stared at Xiao Yao. Xiao Yao turned and stared at him, their eyes meeting in the darkness, wanting to say more but not.

Chapter 26:

When they reached the surface it was already sunset. Xiao Yao realized they spent a day and a night under the sea. Xiang Liu took Xiao Yao to an island, Xiao Yao grilled two fishes for herself and roasted a giant suckling pig sized fish for Xiang Liu…

After Xiang Liu was done eating he said “Let’s go back.” Xiao Yao didn’t move and continued to stare at the ocean. If it was possible, she really wanted to live like this for the rest of her life. “Xiao Yao?” Xiang Liu stood before Xiao Yao. She raised her head to stare at him and smiled “Don’t you feel like today was a day we stole to spend together? That there is only now and no tomorrow!”

I hope we get to see this, specifically chp. 23 and 26, in the show. I can already picture their faces. YZ and TJC are so talented. 

@Sirry Usly 

I feel like most people don't like XL because whenever there are dramas of generals/soldiers etc they don't have a super rough "hot and cold" or suspicious personalities. 

They seem to be more watered down if that makes sense unless the drama is not romance centric. Whereas here, XL is a general and a demon and in my perspective, the author does not seem to romanticize that? 

Romanticize is the correct word.  You never see those generals actually running the army and dealing with everyday troops.

I agree with you on the the portrayal of XL as a demon and more of a real general, and not just a regular general, but the leader of rebel troops who don't recognize a higher authority, like an Emperor.  XL is their ultimate authority and enforcer of discipline.  And for historical military units, discipline was a huge issue and it was enforced routinely with corporal and capital punishment. Even up to the 19th century, they used flogging as a punishment in the UK Royal Navy.  So, TBH, I wasn't that surprised when XY was whipped in the military camp.  I actually think that XL would have just executed XY, if she hadn't confessed her own deep loneliness and abandonment.  I say that because several times in the episode they warn NOT to run into XL, cause he's utterly ruthless and people don't return.

People also gloss over the fact that XY was trespassing and poaching / stealing.  Worse of all, when he showed up, she poisoned XL's special semi-intelligent steed / pet / companion .  And then attacked him.  So, from the general's POV, it looks like a criminal, who seems like a spy or assassin, attacking him.  Of course, from the viewer's and XY's PoV, it looks like stealing your weirdo neighbor's prize persimmons in his yard, and the neighbor showing up  with a shotgun.  You're kinda of in the wrong, but understandably scared spitless and panic.

Normally, I think General Demon XL would have killed her on the spot for that.  However, just like CX assessed XL, he realizes that her poison creation powers are of great use to him ... but could also be used against him.  And that's why he takes her to the camp.  In the interrogation, XY has to convince XL she isn't a spy or assassin, but the fact that she's in disguise (and he knows it) and lies about it , is swaying him toward execution.  It's the connection to her upon her confession, that sways him to  make the same offer CX will make him:  Join me or die.

The whipping is about dominance, but, it's about military discipline, which clearly XY didn't understand.  You don't banter or bargain with your superior officer.  His final abuse of XY, stepping on her wounded back, seems more personal, but it also appears in military discipline, where rules and consequences are laid out clearly.  In the Royal Navy, some captains would flog new crew when they left port, to inspire discipline, break any potential mutiny leaders, and give everyone an understanding of the consequences.  XL does the same: lays out the rules & reminds her of consequences first hand.

So, at this point, to me, it's been about normal historical military discipline, and isn't typical toxic abuse to control her life.  She's free to live as she wants ... until he calls her up for service, like a reserve soldier.  As a general, it's how he would deal with any of his troops or assets.

I'm sure some people are going to say I'm excusing away XL's worst behavior, but I do think this is context for XL and XY's first meeting that gets ignored.

MimiLy:

Yeah i do prefer the flirty and mischievous personality of FFB over XL

I like both, but they are definitely different personalities.  I often feel that XL is not human, whereas FFB is all too human.

@AH

I feel like one of the biggest reasons I ended up liking XL (after initially not liking him) was that XY clearly enjoys spending time with him, wants to spend more time with him, and wishes she met him sooner and was the person who saved him (in which case, she would make him only be the version of himself that could be her companion and spend more time with her). 

Chapter 16:

Xiao Yao believed Fang Feng Bei also understood how she felt which is why he never hesitated and introduced her to everything he could think of and then took her to experience it. Xiao Yao sometimethe s felt Fang Feng Bei was like a child who was lonely for too long. He had played with too many toys alone and it was no longer interesting. Now he had a companion, he couldn’t wait to take her to play, to experience what he tried. It appeared just casual but was in truth very sincere. Gradually, Xiao Yao started sincerely eating, drinking, and being merry with him.

Chapter 19: 

When she was with Fang Feng Bei, Xiao Yao often forgot her identity and she would feel like she was still Wen Xiao Liu except wearing girl clothes… Xiao Yao knew Fang Feng Bei was Xiang Liu, but because this wasn’t the battlefield and he wasn’t being a cold and ruthless battle god, it was like he took off his armor and resumed living the ordinary life as well. 

Wow!  Thank you for posting these, AH.  I've been wrestling with the FFB personality and how it fits with XL, and this Chapter 19 excerpt really hits home for me.  I think it's a little more complicated than that, but I love the idea that the demon side, the cold ruthlessness is armor for war, that can be taken off for an ordinary life.

And the take of FFB as a kid with toys is super!  The idea that FFB is also lonely and seeks to change that with her  is a common element with both XL and FFB.

I also agree.  XY likes XL and enjoys much that they do together. She's not afraid of him and doesn't want to kill him.

I personally love morally gray characters especially even villains, in this case an anti-hero. I think what's so intriguing about these type of characters is the complexity behind them and their development as a character. They aren't born evil/bad so what made them this way? What experiences, trauma, and obstacles did they go through to get to this point?They have a chance of being redeem but a higher chance of falling into complete darkness and the circumstances around them will determine that. It's basically all psychology. People who finds it challenging to express their feelings grew up in environments where emotions are a sign of weakness. 

We know XL was a slave and fought in those death matches since childhood before he ran away. I'm sure the first time he killed a person, he went into shock but after a while, he became immune to it. I can only imagine how harden his heart has gotten over the years. Towards the end of the novel, he even said he has never had a childhood, playmates, or anything normal (i think this also means friends) hence why when he met WXL who dares to play pranks on him, it intrigued him. 

And similarly people like XY and CX who grew up in unstable environments where they witnessed all their love ones leaving them behind as well as being sent off elsewhere. Both grew up to have abandonment and trust issues as well as toxic traits of saving oneself first and/or using others. What's important is to acknowledge those traits and the willingness to change it. 

I don't want to get too deep or philosophical but this subject was my college major at one point and so I'm pretty passionate about human nature and the complexity behind the infamous debate of "is evil born or made". Haha

Sirry Usly:

I hope we get to see this, specifically chp. 23 and 26, in the show. I can already picture their faces. YZ and TJC are so talented. 

Wow! Thank you Sirry for these lovely selected paragraphs from the novel.
So they had some kind of 10+  wonderful years of love story. Love in the eyes of a woman is not exactly the same as a man. For men intimacy is a big part of it. For a women love could be a safe heaven in the arms of her love with no sexual intimacy.  FFB gave it to her while she still stayed true to her love for Jing without breaking her promise to him. I believe, respect and could accept her love for both of them. Problem would be if Jing and/ or XL/FFB  could accept sharing her heart with the other one. I doubt it.

Along with some other reasons, XL , our General won’t be a good husband and father for XY‘s kids specially with her experience with her mother who left/ abandoned her while she needed her the most. “Been there done that” She won’t do that to her kids. 

As to CX, she won’t be his first priority. On top of that she can’t share her love with other women in his haram. She even told him that her love/husband can’t be with other woman. So her love for him stays as brotherly love.

Young and foolish FL could be only a backup plan for both love and family in her life.

Here comes Jing. She already gave her heart and promises to him, despite of  the heartbreaking situation and long waiting time. She sacrifices a lot for having  a true love and happy family in her life journey similar to Jing.

Chp 23 and 26 weren't from me they were from AH. I put some excerpts from later chapters in the novel on earlier pages in this thread. But thanks ?

Anyways, I love reading all of you guys takes on this thread. It's very interesting and a different dynamic from the comment section. 

Noush:
Problem would be if Jing and/ or XL/FFB  could accept sharing her heart with the other one. I doubt it.

Along with some other reasons, XL , our General won’t be a good husband and father for XY‘s kids

XL's whole deal is that he not only accepts XY's feelings and choices related to TSJ, he actively pushes XY to be with TSJ and makes great personal sacrifices to orchestrate their reunion and happy ending. If he made less noble choices, XL could've pursued XY himself after TSJ's death instead of brining him back to life so he could marry XY. 

And if XL made the choice to allow himself to be with XY as her husband and the father of her children, I feel like he would actually be an incredible husband and father? We know from XY's visit to XL's military camp that (to XY's surprise) he is very self disciplined. We know from his relationship with Gong Gong and FFB's mother that he is an extremely dutiful, loyal and devoted son. We know from his relationship with XY that he his capable of great self-sacrifice, and we know from his time as FFB that he is very capable of being thoughtful, patient, and doting in a day-to-day setting over a long period of time. 

Sirry Usly:

Chp 23 and 26 weren't from me they were from AH. I put some excerpts from later chapters in the novel on earlier pages in this thread. But thanks ?

Anyways, I love reading all of you guys takes on this thread. It's very interesting and a different dynamic from the comment section. 

I feel like all the good XL discussions in the comment section gets lost and should be posted here. I know he's a fan favorite but .... still for respect and peace of mind cause comment section is pretty passive aggressive right now (on all sides), we should post here and ask questions here. 

Sirry Usly:

Thank you for correcting me. Sorry AH. You are amazing!