H19279:
No, XY was not happy with that because she just needed YSQ. But she still could compromise with that. She did not bin him when he became clan leader. She even wanted to help Jing's grandmother with the bug problem. Jing had hoped that his grandmother would approve XY but she was strongly agaist XY due to XY's complicated political view. And within a few months, FFYY got pregnant. And then XY's hope shattered.

This is again some weird hypocrisy on XY's side again, and shows how desperately she repeatedly gives Jing chances that she refuses to give XL.

Jing being Clan Leader is the same as XL being a general.  Both are responsible for a big group of people.  Both require their leaders to put them first, over their love life.  Arguably, XL is in a worse light, since his group is the enemy of your family.  But the Tushan Clan is not exactly politically aligned with XY's family / CX.  Jing is having to funnel his support secretly, because his clan can't be tied to the politics.  His grandmother refuses to allow him to marry XY, because that would be a political tie.  And finally, can XY respect a leader who abandons his men?

Well, apparently, she can run off with them for a 'happy ending,' even if she may or may not respect him.

blabla100:
Just to clarify, I am going back and forth between many theories, I am not yet convinced of any in particular, since all of them have its gaps, so I am definetely open to read different interpretations. In fact I like reading you guys more than I like exposing my own ideas, precisely because I am unsure of them and I keep changing them :)

I'm doing the same thing. Since posting in this thread, I have changed my stance on a few things. I don't think there will ever be a single theory without a gap - I don't think that's possible for any work of literature since the author is simply unable to cover every possibility. And with the way that Tong Hua wants to hide certain things in this book and not give us much in ways of XY's thoughts about XL and XL's thoughts in general, it's also impossible. 

blabla100:
First because he is a wimp. Second because subconsciously I need to find a culprit to blame for why this story didn't end the way I wanted to. Of course he's not at fault, but I still need to take my dissatisfaction out on someone.

Lol! I get the urge. Because of the way that I view Jing (a wimp, as you said), I'm baffled by the way Tong Hua chose to write his character when it wouldn't have taken much to change him for the better - someone whom, even if Xiang Liu didn't have the responsibility to Shen Nong, could be a genuine rival and a good choice for her beyond needing a companion. The ending too could be tweaked slightly and it would be more rounded - have Xiao Yao left for the Ocean with Left Ears and Miao Pu, while Jing stays behind to carry out his responsibilities as head of his clan. Give them both time and opportunity to grow and heal. The door is left open for a potential reunion. Instead, the author had both characters acting like irresponsible, selfish nitwits - throwing everything onto a child so they could run off. 

blabla100:
but to my understanding, what she really wanted was for someone who will never abandon her.

blabla100:
more like making sure that she won't get abandoned down the road, if that makes sense.

No, it makes sense. It's smart to choose someone without conflict with your family so you don't have to get caught in the middle. But life is unpredictable and change is the only constant. So if something came up that would cause issues between her family and her partner what would she do? Is she willing to put him first or does she expect him to put her first? And if he doesn't/couldn't, is she going to engage in that self-pitying song and dance again?

blabla100:
I am definetely not trying to minimize everything XL did for XY, what I was trying to point out is that ultimately he didn't do himself right because of his loyalty to the army.

I do understand why Xiao Yao thinks that. For me, Xiang Liu made conscious choices - he sacrificed because he believed that Xiao Yao and his adopted father and comrades were worth his sacrifice. It's not something that he did begrudgingly because he felt helpless to do anything else and is resentful. Does that make sense?

blabla100:
Speaking of when did XY realise her feelings for XL, I am curious how you guys interpret XY's desire of keep wanting to poison XL.

There are some interesting ideas/theories in this post @blahblah100.

I tend to favour the simplest explanation as the best explanation model. I've always seen the making of the poisons as an expression of love/care and a way for TH to demonstrate the shift in XY's feelings towards XL. I see XY's desire to poison XL in the beginning as coming from her competitive and stubborn streak. Young XY was very much like this. However, I can see your point about wanting XL to be under her control as a motivating factor. The pattern of XY's relationship with others surrounds being in the control/saviour position. Even her wish to be the one to save XL after he escapes from the slave arena has a tint of this control/saviour complex - essentially replacing Gong Gong as XL's saviour.

I can see what you mean by XY's dependence on XL and the Lovers Bugs as the expression of that emotional dependency. For close to 100 years, XL was the one that gave her emotional support be it via the Lovers Bugs connection - his heartbeat comforting her in her moments of loneliness and sadness - or being the one to listen, understand and give her the advice that she needs to hear. I don't think she and Jing ever had that connection. I mentioned in an earlier post, that during the Qing Shui arc, the emotional connection was between WXL and XL.

blabla100:
her trial was about her learning to survive and see the beauty of life despite of losing the one she depended on, which was XL.

For sure this was one of the messages of the novel per Tong Hua's interview. If I remember correctly Tong Hua was not keen on the idea of committing suicide to follow a loved one's passing. What does that makes Jing's attempt to die with Xiao Yao? Are we supposed to see it as a good thing or a bad thing?

blabla100:
IMO her overcoming her traumas was never about her pursuing XL and surviving or not a lonely life without him, but about her learning not to depend on anyone and doing what's right.

I don't see pursuing a relationship with XL as a sign that she'd overcome her trauma per se, rather continuing to stick with Jing when there's barely an emotional connection between them is a sign that her trauma is still very much present. I think it's because, for me, so much of Xiao Yao's professed need for a companion that will always put her first is rooted in her trauma. At the core of her trauma is a sense of defectiveness - not good enough, not lovable enough - so Jing living only for her is very appealing.  

blabla100:
Choosing Jing was the right thing for her, the right man for her,

blabla100:
Would she had choose Jing if XL wasn't so determined to push her away?

I can see why choosing Jing was the right thing for her, but in what way is he the right man for her? And how does choosing Jing because XL pushed her away show that she has overcome her trauma?

blabla100:
CX and XL were able to control the bug and she wasn't could be because they were stronger in terms of being more independent,

I don't think CX was able to control the bugs. I thought that he couldn't feel her through the bugs while she could because the bugs weren't planted properly. Whereas Xiang Liu could experience her sensations and feelings while she couldn't his because he used his stronger spiritual power to mute her side of the connection. This is probably a good thing considering the injuries that he likely sustained on the regular.

Kokuto:
I don't think she was all that great with Jing becoming clan leader.

H19279:
No, XY was not happy with that because she just needed YSQ. But she still could compromise with that.

There are reasons why there is an emphasis on Jing vs. YSQ. Right from the beginning, it's YSQ that XY wanted as a companion rather than Jing.  Only a YSQ without ties and responsibilities, who was saved and named by her, who made her his reason for existing could afford to always put her first. Jing could not do that. That was why, their promise was about returning YSQ to her and why she was willing to marry YSQ, but couldn't answer the same for Jing. And at the end, Jing had to give up everything and become YSQ so they could run off to the ocean. By that point, there was no grandmother to object, but as long as he's Jing with the responsibility to the Tushan Clan, there are things that might get in the way of him being able to put her first at all times. 

Discussion about translation of “得一知音足矣”  -  “It’s enough to have a true soulmate.”

Dear all,

A few day ago I saw a post in the discussion about Yao-Jing romance. where they blamed Kaola was die-hard fan of Yao-Liu and biased when she/he used the word soulmate as XY referred to XL . This is the sentence when XY made the Koi fish playing in lotus pond as pardon gift since she had used him to insult Jing when buying new bow.  Below is my "reply" post including their original post in that discussion section and my opinion to defense Kaola's choice of soulmate. 

I wonder that which English word suits best in this case in your opinion.

-----------------------------------------  

MEANING OF THE WORD 知音

A few day ago, I saw the first posthttps://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever-season-2/119991-tushan-jing-and-xiao-yao-here-s-to-a-happily-ever-after?pid=2935655&page=372#p2935655 about "friend" in which "3/ From Winny's Thai, official version (Publisher and author approuved)." the word "知己" was shown.  The same post shows the "google translation of some sentences from the original book in chinese (as shown below) and we can see that another word is used. Therefore, before going to further all sort of debate, let take the correct quote and word that is used in chinese in bothe drama and the novel. 

Below is the text and screen shot of the drama

And the sentence that Xiao Yao used in the novel is exactly the same: 小夭可不接受打击:“得一知音足矣!”  according to http://m.xsbiquge.la/book/36337/19812279/2.html (2019 version of LYF) or https://luoxiadushu.com/changxiangsi/67964.htm (2013 version of LYF)

In both drama and novel, Xiao Yao meaned it was enought to have a "知音"  (zhī yīn)

The word 知音 is synonym of  知己 that there were some view exchangee in the meaning of the word 知己 [zhi ji] in page 372 of this topic.  @AH mentioned and gave examples of the difficulty of proper English translation of this word https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever-season-2/119991-tushan-jing-and-xiao-yao-here-s-to-a-happily-ever-after?pid=2936119&page=372#p2936119

Basically, there is no fully equivalent word in English that carries the meaning of "知音". The translation of this word has to take the context and relationship between those people into account for the closest, most suitable meaning. 

Here is the meaning of this word in Chinese according to the Hanbook Chinese dictionary

知音 (zhī yīn) Definition & Meaning - What does 知音 mean in Chinese | HanBook Chinese Dictionary 

1. (v), (fml): proficient in rhythm

• tā kāi shǐ wèi zuò pǐn zhǎo zhī yīn
    她开始为作品找知音。
    She began to find a receptive audience for her work.
  • zhī yīn nán mì
    知音难觅。
    It is difficult to find an understanding friend.
  • zhī yīn bù shì shuō yù dào jiù néng yù dào de
    知音不是说遇到就能遇到的。
    Soulmates are not easy to meet with.

2. (n) a friend keenly appreciative of one's talents; an understanding friend; bosom friend

• xī wàng jǐn kuài zhǎo dào zhī yīn
    希望尽快找到知音。
    Hope to find bosom friend sooner.

When you break down this word further: according the Hanbook

: Definition & Meaning 

1.know; realize; be aware of; understand
2.knowledge; information; learning
3.inform; notify; tell
4.bosom/intimate friend
5.administer; be in charge of

1.sound
2.news; tidings
3.tone; syllable; phonetic sound
4.read as
5.(musical) sound; note

I am not Chinese but we have this word in Vietnamese which roots to Chinese word and normally is used as the 2nd meaning. From the meaning of each component of the word and the overall meaning by the dictionary, the word "知音" can be understood as following: 

Acouple of friends regard each other as 知音 when they share understanding on certain subject(s) with each other and keenly appreaciate each other's talent, skill, value on such subject(s). 

In other word, their brain have the same  rhythm on such subject(s) (generated from the word sound). 

"知音" friends may not be confidant ( by definition some one whom secret or private matters are disclosed. 

"知音" friends may not be true friend because true friend normally cover friendship connection in general but doesn't focus on a special subject 

So, How about the word soulmate that Kaola used in her/his translation

According to Soulmate Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster (so, it's American English), the meaning of soul mate or soulmate is 

1a close friend or romantic partner with whom one has a unique deep connection based on mutual understanding and acceptance

We were always friends, and we always stayed in touch. There was always this connection. I can't explain it. It's almost like soulmates, and it always was.—Melanie Griffith, quoted in People Weekly

Every lonely adolescent fantasizes a lost twin somewhere, the perfect companion, confidant and soul mate—another self.—Sharon Begley

2a person who shares the same beliefs or opinions as another person

ideological soulmates

You half-heartedly play the election game, giving your vote to the least offensive candidate at the time. But you save your heart, hoping for that day when your political soul mate rides in on a white horse.—Burt Constablealso 

something likened to a soulmate in being very similar to or being a typical companion to another thing

And, unlike their soulmates at Pinehurst, these [golf] courses often feature substantial elevation changes.—Larry Olmsted

Discovery, like its soul mate love, is a many-splendored thing.—Stephen Jay Gould

According to Soulmate - definition of soulmate by The Free Dictionary , the first meaning of soulmate there is "One of two persons compatible with each other in disposition, point of view, or sensitivity. " which is quoted from American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 )

Many of us alway associate soulmate with romantic relationship but actually it is not always the case. According to the above definition (at least in American English) the word "soulmate" which was used by Kaola was quite close to the exact meaning of "知音"

--------------------------------

Now look at the circumstance in chapter 19 when she used this word "知音"

Xiao Yao was specialst in poison and poison making. And Xiang Liu was the only person who could enjoy her poison art. He also understood poison very well. So the narrowest meaning that she intended in that context is they were "知音" in poison. This is not the first time she mentioned this. When she returned to GaoXing in female form, she still kept making poison and XY missed him who could try it. 

Xiao Yao started researching poisons again. During the day she went to find the palace doctors to discuss and at night she went to hang out with her dad. Everyday she was busy and it made her feel better. The only regret was that there was no one around for her to test her poisons on.

One night Xiao Yao was in Cao Yao Court admiring the latest poison she concocted, feeling very sad that she couldn’t give it to Xiang Liu.

She took out her most precious mirror and pulled up the memory she saved in it. One was when she drew nine heads on Xiang Liu’s face, and the other was after she moved the voodoo bug from Zhuan Xu to Xiang Liu and walked along the ocean floor with him. She secretly used the mirror to record that moment.

In the dark blue ocean depths, Xiang Liu’s white hair white robe was so elegant and refined as he swam, the white hair billowing behind him, making his already handsome face even more ethereally beautiful.

“Who is he?”

The Grand Emperor’s voice asked and Xiao Yao was so surprised, turning around to discover her dad was sitting behind her and looking into the mirror. He was clearly curious about the man in his daughter’s mirror.

Xiao Yao said “A friend who is not quite a friend.”

The Grand Emperor laughed “I thought at this time you would be missing the Tu Shan clan’s little fox.”

Xiao Yao made a face “Perhaps he’s walking with his fiancee under the moonlight, happy as can be. I’m not an idiot, why think of him?”  (Chapter 13)

---------

In addition, Xiao Yao shared with Xiang Liu many other subjects such as swimming, discovery new places and living attitudes. All were acknowledged by Xiao Yao. Therefore, the use of 知音 can convey her thought of the similarity between them in extended matters. Overall, "soulmate" is more suitable than confidant or close friend or true friend in this case.

Xiao Yao felt that she must be growing lonely again and forced herself to think of other things. Swimming, swimming…..there must be other things in her life connected with swimming…..Xiao Yao suddenly missed Nine-lives Xiang Liu very much. If he was here, likely she would not have any time to think about the past. But Wen Xiao Liu was gone and even if she ran into Xiang Liu in the future, he would not recognize her anymore.

Xiao Yao floated on the surface and sighed deeply. (Chapter 13) 

---------------------------

From the day he taught her archery until now, it had been two years.

During the two years, the two of them were each other’s companion exploring every nook and cranny of Xuan Yuan Castle. He sometimes disappeared, and then would show up again, always with a whatever attitude. Xiao Yao felt like the two of them could have kept playing together like this for forever and an eternity. Because the two of them were just too similar – they didn’t care about anything, willing to try everything, interested in all, and whatever could make them smile. They appreciated all that was beautiful, but wanted to own none of it. Their life balanced precariously between darkness and light, if they chose light then behind them was thousands of miles of desolation, if they chose darkness then behind them was thousands of miles of glittering luxury. But even if they faced the light, they still had one step in the darkness so their light wasn’t completely pure but instead came from never forgetting all the pain they experienced before. The pain followed them forever which is why they were so strong, so brave, so independent, so cold, so no matter what happened, they knew they could keep on living. (chapter 17) 

-----------------------------------

Xiao Yao’s life seemed to return to normal like when she lived in Xuan Yuan Castle. In the morning she practiced archery, in the afternoon she made poisons, every day was packed to the gill.

Every few days she would go find Fang Feng Bei to practice archery and afterwards head to the city of Zhi Yi and Zhe Province to play. Fang Feng Bei lived up to his reputation as a consummate ne’er-do-well playboy for the last four hundred years, he knew Zhi Yi and Zhe Province like the back of his hand. Whatever nook and cranny had something fun, he could find it, whatever was tasty, he would find it. The two of them were each other’s companion as they enjoyed life’s endless pleasures. (Chapter 19)

HeadInTheClouds:
Speaking of when did XY realise her feelings for XL, I am curious how you guys interpret XY's desire of keep wanting to poison XL.
There are some interesting ideas/theories in this post @blahblah100.

I tend to favour the simplest explanation as the best explanation model. I've always seen the making of the poisons as an expression of love/care and a way for TH to demonstrate the shift in XY's feelings towards XL. I see XY's desire to poison XL in the beginning as coming from her competitive and stubborn streak. Young XY was very much like this. However, I can see your point about wanting XL to be under her control as a motivating factor. T

@Blabla100 

what do you mean "feeling"? what kind of "feeling"? 

The fact that TH did not give use words on XY's thought or feeling about XL, we always have to deduct her feeling to XL indirectly. I assume that you mean here that since when she realized that she had romantic feeling to him. 

The change in purpose of her poison took place in chapter 16 after she decided to sever with Jing (about 6 months after their last meeting in Ying Province in Gaoxing, thus it was about 2-3 months after arriving to Xuan Yuan). So HeadInTheClouds leans on this point which is simplest explanation. 

However, I think there several events where XY sub-conciously realized that her heart was stirred by Xiangliu. Her thought when WXL and YSQ were captured by CX and her choice of living "old style" instead of relying on a man hinted that she did thought about XL (Chapter 8). 

When she was back to Gao Xing after regaining her true form, she constantly missed Xiang Liu: when she was swimming, she spent most of the time studying medicine books and discussing with doctor since it made her felt better due to lonely life. She made poison from very rare and previous ingredients. She missed him to try her poinson and she looked at the mirror with the memory of him after planting bug. (the other memory linked to her glory of bullying him). This happened in chapter 13 before the welcome princess return event. Her confession of "afraid of him stepping into her dream" indicated that she had certain fantasy thought of him (end of Chapter 13).

I think the event on the boat in chapter 14 when XY saw Jing untying his hair is debatable so I will not count it. Anyway, it is subconscious reaction.

In chapter 16, we have several clues: the change of the way she made poison, her talk with Yellow Emperor about man for marrying. 

And in chapter 17, I think, she clearly recognised that her feeling for him is "love". That is why she tried to supress it by searching for Jing's wine bottle in middle of poison bottles in her box by the couch. 

The words Anian scolded her mother were the deepest fear in her heart. She didn't want to think about it, but a blood-red robe still appeared in front of her eyes. The man was so arrogant that he seemed to crush the whole world, but he looked at her mother His eyes were so gentle and lingering, and the way his mother looked at him... Xiaoyao didn't understand it at the time, but she understands it now.

The tears her mother shed seemed to still be imprinted on Xiaoyao's face.

Xiaoyao couldn't help but touch her cheek, trying to wipe away the tears, but there was nothing.

Xiaoyao sat up in shock, opened the small box at the head of the couch, and took out a bottle of green plum wine between the bottles filled with poison.

H19279:
Discussion about translation of “得一知音足矣” - “It’s enough to have a true soulmate.”

Dear all,

A few day ago I saw a post in the discussion about Yao-Jing romance. where they blamed Kaola was die-hard fan of Yao-Liu and biased when she/he used the word soulmate as XY referred to XL .

SMH

They are truly bending themselves into a pretzel to make YaoLiu nothing but friendship, aren't they?

H19279:
about "friend" in which "3/ From Winny's Thai, official version (Publisher and author approuved

Wait.  Is this Winny?  The person who said she preferred Koala's fan translation and English subtitle of the drama to the original Chinese text???  lol!

I'd like to see the reference on this Thai translation being author approved.  Is Tong Hua fluent in Thai?  In most cases, authors don't have approval for translations, in part, because they don't speak the language the book is being translated into.  Authors simply sell the rights for the book to be translated and published in other countries.

Soulmate is a perfect translation of  知音 .  You just have to remember that the word doesn't always have a romantic meaning.  Because XY isn't going to blurt out, we're romantic soulmates -- that would be a confession, which we know she is incapable of.  But since it is Tong Hua, there's always another layer, another meaning, so it actually being used both as intimate friend and intimate lover.  Soul mate carries the idea of one soul shared by two bodies, so it is repeating the motif of one heartbeat shared by two people.  It is another sign of the intimate, deep connection they share via the Love Bug.

The idea of soulmate has several sources, but one of the oldest is from Plato, which credits Aristophanes for the story of humans being of both genders, with two heads, hearts, etc. with four arms and legs, who were superhuman and frightened the gods, so Zeus cut them them half, and thus made two people, with an open wound.  Thus, people are always seeking (true love), i.e  their matching half, to reunite and heal the wound.  Which sort of fits XY, doesn't it?

Another article noted it was in the mythological vein of the Red String of Fate, which reminded me of the matching costumes XL and XY wore, mostly white, with seafoam green / turquoise highlights accents, and the striking red trim.  I think someone said it was a symbol of blood, but it works even better as Red String of Fate, imo.

blabla100:
I am curious how you guys interpret XY's desire of keep wanting to poison XL.

When Xiao Yao returned to Gao Xing, Xiao Yao's mood was poor. The scenery in the palace reminded her about her mother which created emotional conflict on her. Swimming was her hobby but it associated both to sad and happy memories for her. And the happy swimming experience linked to Xiang Liu. The royal life in the palace was boring and lonely. She spent time on study medicine (from books and royal docters) and making poison. 

It was quiet all around and swimming made Xiao Yao think of her mom. She used to think she would never think about her mom, but in truth she still missed her a lot and merely forced herself not to think of her. Back in familiar surroundings, this missing her grew stronger and stronger but along with it came pain. With an ounce of missing came an ounce of pain, and with an ounce of pain came an ounce of anger.

Xiao Yao felt that she must be growing lonely again and forced herself to think of other things. Swimming, swimming…..there must be other things in her life connected with swimming…..Xiao Yao suddenly missed Nine-lives Xiang Liu very much. If he was here, likely she would not have any time to think about the past. But Wen Xiao Liu was gone and even if she ran into Xiang Liu in the future, he would not recognize her anymore.

Xiao Yao floated on the surface and sighed deeply.

Xiao Yao walked over and flipped open a book, but it wasn’t a medical book like her dad suggested, but a book on how to harm others. Ah Nian’s push today reminded Xiao Yao that she can’t let her guard down!

Father and daughter, one sat on the throne working, the other rested on a pillow reading medical texts. This went on until late into the night when the Grand Emperor escorted Xiao Yao back to her residence before returning to his.

Xiao Yao started researching poisons again. During the day she went to find the palace doctors to discuss and at night she went to hang out with her dad. Everyday she was busy and it made her feel better. The only regret was that there was no one around for her to test her poisons on.

One night Xiao Yao was in Cao Yao Court admiring the latest poison she concocted, feeling very sad that she couldn’t give it to Xiang Liu.

From the above excerpt, the reason that XY spent time making poison is to protect herself and venting her longing for XL instead of her primary aim of making an effective poison on XL that she tried during the time in QS town (which was discussed previously in the meaning of poison - part 1). She made the poison from very rare medicine herbs which required a lot of time and previous water to grow. This sounds more like she wanted to prove her talent/ability in poison making and XL was considered in her mind as a tester to validate the poison rather than her victim. Her word to XL in their meeting near the dragon bone prison beach showed her main motivation - selfesteem: "I think I, the poison god, can poison even the nine-tailed fox demon. There is no reason why I can't poison you, the nine-headed demon!". She made such precious poison however she didn't plan to meet him again or send it to him since WXL did not exist anymore.

She suddenly remembered something, took out her wet purse, took out a small jade bottle, poured out a handful of colorful pills, spread them out in the palm of her hand and showed them to Xiang Liu, "Would you like to try them?"

Xiang Liu slowly put each one into his mouth like eating jelly beans.

"How's it going? I made this specially for you. I checked a lot of information and found a lot of rare medicinal materials."

The coldness on Xiang Liu's body suddenly faded, "It's okay."

"Is it okay?" Xiao Yao almost cried, "Many medicinal herbs are planted on Penglai Island and watered with water from Guixu Water Eye. They have grown for eighteen hundred years."

Xiang Liu said calmly: "Are you still thinking of poisoning me?"

Xiaoyao shook his head, "I think I, the poison god, can poison even the nine-tailed fox demon. There is no reason why I can't poison you, the nine-headed demon!"

Xiang Liu smiled disdainfully, "I'll wait."

XY kept the poison in her wallet and brought it along with her show how she treasured the poison. The poison was used to break the silence and uncomfortable situation between XY and XL on the beach. From XL's POV, this implied that XY still kept thinking of him, cared for him (the poison was use for himself to improve his sprititual power). He asked her to keep making poison for him and she could easily accept it meaning between there was still a visible connection - the poison. 

And althought XY said "why I can't poison you, the nine-headed demon". She did not increase the poisonous level in the poison that she made after this conversation. Her aim is to make poison with the same toxicity and better looking. Each poison is a thought, a mood of herself. It clearly indicated that XY used the poison to share her feeling, her message to Xiang Liu. It is the way she communicated with him and cared for him. 

Kokuto:
Wait.  Is this Winny?  The person who said she preferred Koala's fan translation and English subtitle of the drama to the original Chinese text???  lol!

Yes, and the funny thing is later they quoted the wrong chinese word 知己. The word 知音 was actually used in both drama and the novel. 知己 is synonym of 知音. However, 知音 carries more meaning in the understanding and keenly appreciation of one's skill, properties, talents etc; kind of resonance in mind or certain field. So, it is even closer to soulmate than 知己 (which focuses more on understanding one's worth)

P/S: in Vietnamese, we have both words,知音 = "tri âm" ; 知己= "tri kỷ"  which root from Chinese. So translation of this word into Vietnamese is 1/1. Actually we even use both words together to express a pair of friend who really understand each other and appreciate other's competence.

H19279:
Yes, and the funny thing is later they quoted the wrong chinese word 知己. The word 知音 was actually used in both drama and the novel. 知己 is synonym of 知音. However, 知音 carries more meaning in the understanding and keenly appreciation of one's skill, properties, talents etc; kind of resonance in mind or certain field. So, it is even closer to soulmate than 知己 (which focuses more on understanding one's worth)

Well, I didn't quote both or the right one, but I was in a hurry. ;p  I'll fix that now.

Here's the important thing.  Does XY ever call Jing 知音  or 知己 ?  I'm pretty she never does.  Because Jing is not her soulmate.  Neither of them KNOW each other or their worth or have an innate connection.  Their relationship is not of equals.

The other thing I was going to mention, was that when it aired, I remember reading that when XY first saw FFB in the brothel, and he was reflected in her eyes, that was a sign Chinese audiences would recognize that he was her soulmate or her true love.  But I haven't been able to find that reference or that folk lore.

Kokuto:
Oh, and welcome to the thread!  We can get chatty and very ... detail oriented here -- in multiple languages.  The other XL thread is just for crazy fun and Tan Jian Ci related stuff.

Thank you. It looks like conversations already shifted to XL's perception about life with WXL. Lmao. I will try to keep up. XD

@H19279 I was going to respond to you in the YaoJing thread (I've been avoiding posting in this YaoLiu thread because I didn't want to respond to newer posts until I'd responded to older posts from 2023 and haven't had time to go back and do that properly yet), but since the YaoJings seem a bit displeased I figure it might be better to post the response here instead. Which means that I can go into more detail without feeling bad about spamming the YoaJing thread with YaoLiu content. ^^

H19279:
And the sentence that Xiao Yao used in the novel is exactly the same: 小夭可不接受打击:“得一知音足矣!”  according to http://m.xsbiquge.la/book/36337/19812279/2.html (2019 version of LYF) or https://luoxiadushu.com/changxiangsi/67964.htm (2013 version of LYF)

In both drama and novel, Xiao Yao meaned it was enought to have a "知音"  (zhī yīn)

The word 知音 is synonym of  知己 that there were some view exchangee in the meaning of the word 知己 [zhi ji] in page 372 of this topic.  @AH mentioned and gave examples of the difficulty of proper English translation of this word https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever-season-2/119991-tushan-jing-and-xiao-yao-here-s-to-a-happily-ever-after?pid=2936119&page=372#p2936119

Oh I missed that one of the examples had 知音 instead of 知己!

Thank you, H19279, for clarifying that 知音 was the term used in the novel and the drama, and for providing details about what that term means. 

Funnily enough, that term was also covered in the second post I linked in my first comment because Hunxi thought that the Untamed missed an opportunity by not using the term  知音. In that post, Hunxi provided the following information about that term: 

bonus round: 知音 zhiyin

kudos to you if you’re still reading this, this meta has taken me multiple evenings to write and I’m only now getting to the part I really wanted to talk about in relation to 《陳情令》/ The Untamed, which is this term, which I’m frankly shocked was never uttered in the entire show

知音 zhiyin is often literally translated as ‘the one who knows the tune,’ and specifically references the semi-mythical story of 伯牙子 Boyazi and 鐘子期 Zhong Ziqi:

伯牙鼓琴,鍾子期聽之,方鼓而志在太山,鍾子期曰:「善哉乎鼓琴!巍巍乎若太山。」少選之間,而志在流水,鍾子期復曰:「善哉乎鼓琴!湯湯乎若流水。」鍾子期死,伯牙破琴絕絃,終身不復鼓琴,以為世無足為鼓琴者。

Boyazi was playing the zither, and Zhong Ziqi listening. Just as Boyazi was playing, his intent lay in Tai Mountain [a notably tall mountain with heavy symbolic/literary significance]. Zhong Ziqi said: “Well-played! Lofty and towering as Tai Mountain!” A short while later, Boyazi’s intent lay in flowing water. Zhong Ziqi spoke again: “Well-played! Surging and coursing like flowing water!” When Zhong Ziqi died, Boya[zi] broke his zither and cut the strings. For the rest of his life, he never played the zither again, since there were none in the world worth playing for.

(text taken from the 說苑 / The Garden of Persuasions)

so they’re definitely gay

this was a little parable-esque story told to emphasize the importance of the relationship between patron and man-of-service; because Boyazi had someone who would recognize (知 zhi) his musical talent and intent, he played the zither. Once Zhong Ziqi died, Boyazi smashed his zither and refused to play ever again. His talent didn’t dwindle or vanish; he simply would not utilize his talent for zither-playing without the right person present. Likewise with a wise patron; they had to recognize the merits of a minister/man-of-service (like Boyazi), and appreciate them appropriately (as Zhong Ziqi did). Without this meeting of minds/souls, a worthy man-of-service might remain hidden or overlooked.

BUT THE POINT IS 知音 zhiyin is often used interchangeably with 知己 zhiji (I believe that 知音 zhiyin tends to be used a little more in literary/artistic contexts, but if a native speaker could correct me, that’d be lit), and given the overtly musical elements of 《陳情令》/ The Untamed, I’m actually a little mad that they didn’t seize this opportunity because just take a moment to imagine this exchange:

Lan Wangji: 你把我當成什麼人? / What kind of person do you take me for?

Wei Wuxian: 我曾經把你當做我的知音 / I had once thought that you were the person who knew the melody of my heart.

Lan Wangji: 現在仍是 / I still am.

-----

The Institute of East Asian Studies at the University of California Berkley published a lesson plan for English-speaking students learning Mandarin that includes a transcription of the story of Boya and Zhong Zi Qi provided by the Tang Bo Museum of Xian. 

Material # 6 - Story of Boya and Zhong Zi Qi / Transcript (edited) / June 28, 2018 / Tang Bo Museum, Xian / Docent 

Boya was a man who played the qin (zither). Zhong Zi Qi, his friend, would listen to Boya play the qin. No matter what Boya played, Qi never failed to understand. Boya played about the mountains, Qi could see how high the mountains were. Boya played the flowing water, Qi could see how vast the ocean is. Boya said, “Your thought is exactly the same as my thought.” One day, Zhong Zi Qi got ill and died. Boya broke the strings of his qin and vowed to never play the instrument anymore. He thought no one would be able to understand his music.

This is where the phrase zhī yīn (知音 ) comes from. It means to “know as music.” If you are zhī yīn, you are a soulmate or bosom buddy

-----

Professional qin player and detailed researcher (so many links and footnotes, I'm a fan) John Thompson wrote the following on this topic:

Boya and Ziqi as 知音 zhiyin: bosom friends

Concepts about zhiyin are discussed in more detail here. Broadly speaking, references seem to suggest that although "zhi yincould simply refer to a technical knowledge of music, at the same time it implies that a high level of such knowledge (or awareness) might be needed to appreciate a subtle type of music, such as that of guqin"zhi yinas "bosom friends" naturally follows on from this.

Given the popularity of the Boya story it is somewhat surprising that, although a search of the China Text Project turns up 32 occurrences of 知音 zhiyin, none directly connects it to the Bo Ya - Ziqi story. In addition, although it is an account in Liezi, translated here as part of the preface to the melodies High Mountains and Flowing Streams, that has the most detailed account telling of Bo Ya playing the qin for Ziqi, the standard Liezi text does not seem to mention Ziqi dying, instead having Boya traveling and Ziqi continuing to understand his music. The story of Ziqi dying seems to come from Lüshi Chunqiu. Nevertheless, 24483.114 知音 zhiyin quotes the same Liezi passage as having the following:

子期死,伯牙絕絃,以無知音者。
When Ziqi died, Bo Ya broke his strings, figuring that there would be no one else who could understand his music.

The Lüshi Chunqiu story, as translated in Knoblock and Riegel 14/2.3 (but substituting "qin" for "lute") is as follows:

When Zhong Ziqi died, Bo Ya smashed the qin and cut its strings. To the end of his life, he never played the qin again because he felt that there was no one in the world worth playing for. This applies not only to the qin, but to worthiness as well. Although a man is worthy, if he is not received by a ruler with due courtesy, why should he devote his full loyalty to him? It is like the fleet-footed horse that will not go a thousand li by itself when the driver is not skilled.

5. "知音 Zhi yin" and the 伯牙子期故事 story of Boya and Ziqi

Literal meanings of 知音 zhiyin include "know sound" and "understand music". Explanations and translations might include, "people who are completely on the same wave length", "people in the know", "bosom friends", "soulmates", and so forth. It is a term in use by many people who have no idea of the guqin and/or its philosophy, but within the community of qin players it has a special significance.

Sources of the term are discussed in 中文大辭典 24483.114 知音 as follows:

"謂精於律者,後亦謂知己知音 : skilled in the rules of music; later, people who understood each other were called zhi yin". 

It then gives four references,

1. 禮記,樂記 the Record of Music in the Book of Rites
  2. 史記,樂書 the Book of Music in the Annals of History
    Both of these say "是故審聲以知音" "for this reason examine sound in order to understand music"
  3. 列子湯問 Questions of Tang from the Book of Liezi
    Connects this expression with the story of Ziqi seeing into Boya's heart when hearing the latter play qin.
  4. 呂氏春秋,長見 Far Sightedness (p.254) in The Annals of Lü Buwei
    "是師曠欲善調鐘,以為後世之知音者也"; the court musicians think the bells are in tune, but 師曠 Shi Kuang disagrees, and the writer concludes, "Thus, Music Master Kuang's desire to tune the bell perfectly was because he considered what those of later ages who knew music would think."

Zhong Ziqi, sometimes called Zhong Qi, sometimes Ziqi,4 here seems to be a gentleman, like the man with whom he is famously associated, Bo Ya; the picture at right is in keeping with this description. However, the story best known today describes Ziqi as an ordinary woodcutter,5 nevertheless able to recognize what was in the heart of Bo Ya as he played the qin. When Ziqi died, Bo Ya broke the strings of his qin and never played again.6 He felt that in life you were lucky to find one person who understood you. He had found that person in Ziqi, so when Ziqi died, there was no reason to play the qin anymore.

In this biography, Zhong Ziqi is said to be from Chu, related to a man named Zhong Yi who in 582 BCE was imprisoned by Duke Cheng of Jin, a state to the north of Chu. This suggests that Ziqi was not an ordinary woodcutter, as sometimes later depicted. It also connects to stories that Boya himself was from Chu, but lived much of his life in Jin.7

Qin illustration 11 in Taiyin Daquanji says it is a depiction of Zhong Ziqi's qin. It also has the rather surprising comment that Ziqi was a small business man.

The biography of Zhong Ziqi in Qin Shi is as follows.8

Zhong Ziqi, a man of Chu and a relative of Zhong Yi (#35), was a friend of Boya (#38). When Boya played the qin Zhong Ziqi was a good listener. When Boya was focused on Mount Tai, Ziqi said, "Wonderful, as grand as Mount Tai." When Boya's focus was flowing streams Ziqi said, "Vast and swelling, like flowing streams." Whatever Boya described Ziqi attained.

When Boya traveled on the north side of Mount Tai and met heavy rain he stopped below a cliff, took out his qin and played it. First it was Continuous Rain Lament,9 then it was Crashing Mountains Melody.10 Each time he played, Ziqi completely understood. Boya then set aside his qin and sighed, saying, "Wonderful. When you listen, it is like our hearts are resonating together. How can my thoughts escape like this?" When Ziqi died Boya split apart his qin, broke his strings and never played again, because at that time there could never be another person who could understand his music.

Once when Ziqi at night heard someone strike a bell, the sound was sad. When he called the player over and asked why the sound was sad, the answer was, "My father killed someone and is imprisoned but not yet executed. My mother has been captured and made a slave by a master. I am captured and am playing a bell for this master. I hadn't seen my mother for three years, then last night I suddenly saw her. I would like to buy her from slavery, but I have no money, so she is still with the master's family. This is my sadness." Ziqi said, "Sadness is in the heart, not in the hands, not in the wood, not in the stone. If there is sadness in the man, then the wood and stone respond to that. This is the reason."

So Ziqi understood sounds in general, not just on the qin....

(Lines 14 to 19 not yet translated.)

Footnotes (Shorthand references are explained on a separate page)

1. Zhong Ziqi 鍾子期
41566.4 (not 41760.x 鐘子期) tells the story of his meeting with Bo Ya. Says also to consult 知音 zhiyin (24483.114) and 流水高山 Liu Shui Gao Shan (17762.20). None of these mentions Ziqi being a woodcutter. Sources mentioned are 列子,湯文、新序,雜事四、淮南子修務訓、說苑,尊賢。 (Return)

2. Folio 2, #13; 19 lines. (Return)

3. This image came from one page of the website of the Kamakura Qin Society (in Japanese). (Return)

4. 41566.100 鍾期 Zhong Qi says Zhong Ziqi and gives two references to the Boya story. (Return)

5. Ziqi as Woodcutter (樵人 Qiao Ren)
Qiaoren (15945.1; no mention of Ziqi) can also be translated as fuel-gatherer. Many of the Boya - Ziqi stories told today call Ziqi a woodcutter, drawing on the fact that Chinese tradition, though it greatly emphasized scholarship, at the same time promoted the idea of people living in nature who understood life without book learning. Such knowledge was particularly ascribed to fishermen and woodcutters. On the other hand, the present biography makes no mention of Ziqi being a woodcutter, suggesting instead that he was a gentleman. This is in line with both the image above and the one here called Boya Playing the Qin. And none of the earliest commentaries on melodies related to Zhong Ziqi mentions his being a woodcutter. In fact, the commentary describing Ziqi's qin suggests he was a small business man. (Return)

The entry for Boya in Qin Shi is as follows,19

A great qin player of antiquity, praised after the Spring and Autumn Period and mentioned in books everywhere. He originally studied the qin from Cheng Lian. After three years he became proficient, but still hadn't achieved feelings of solitary beauty. Cheng Lian said, "Although I can pass on melodies, I cannot affect peoples' feelings. My teacher Fang Zichun, who lives in the Eastern Sea, can do this. Shouldn't you study with him?" So Cheng Lian took Boya to Penglai Mountain20 in the Eastern Sea. Leaving Boya (there, Cheng Lian) said, "Stay here and practise; I will go meet my teacher (to bring him here)." He then rowed off in his boat. When Cheng Lian didn't return for 10 days, Boya became very troubled. He stretched his neck and looked in all directions. All was calm and there was no one, only the crashing of waves and the sad cries of sea birds. He then looked up at heaven and sighed, "My master actually meant no human teacher; this must be the way to move my spirit!" He then took up his qin and created Melody of the Water Immortals; so it is said. Xun Qing (Xunzi) once said, "When Boya played the qin six (imperial) horses looked up as they ate grass. If birds and beasts were moved, how much more would people be!

-----

Qin player Carolyn Chen wrote:

In one legend, Boya, the famous master player, meets the woodcutter Zhong Ziqi, his ideal listener, who, despite a lack of formal education, quasi-telepathically infers the player’s every mental image through listening. When Boya plays thinking of high mountains, the woodcutter thinks of high mountains. When he thinks of flowing waters, so does the woodcutter. When the woodcutter dies, Boya breaks his instrument and never plays again. Thus the term 知音 (zhiyin, “to know the tone”) describes best friend or soul mate

This storied listening has an undeniable appeal. It’s the dream of being totally understood, of being completely connected to another mind in a way that transcends language. In some ways, it recalls the fantasy of music as a universal language, except that in this version, the connection is a singular phenomenon. Boya never plays again, because after such an experience of oneness, anything else could only disappoint.

-----

The drama Word of Honor / SHL contains the following exchange:

Wen Kexing: ... the reasons why people hide are nothing but the common ones. Either he always feels that an enemy is after him so that he needs to hide in a place no one can find or - 

Wen Kexing: Then it must be the second reason. Sadness. The person he wants to meet won't appear anymore. So he just hides and refuses to meet anybody else to avoid being reminded of the person. [To Chengling] If your Shifu disappears one day, I'll also find a place like this to hide and not see anyone anymore. 

[Zhou Zishu shakes his head and rolls his eyes.]

Chengling: Just like the story of Yu Boya cutting the strings of his qin?

[This is an apt analogy for Wen Kexing and Zhou Zishu's relationship, but it seems to hit too close to home. Chengling compares the thought of Wen Kexing going into hiding after Zhou Zishu disappears to Boya cutting the strings of his qin and refusing to play any more music because the one person who truly understood and appreciated his music disappeared... except that Zhong Zi Qi didn't just disappear. He died. And Zhou Zishu's days are numbered. So Chengling accidentally alluded to Zhou Zishu's imminent death.]

Wen Kexing [looking slightly concerned]: Ah?

[Chengling glances at Zhou Zishu, who avoids his gaze.]

Chengling: Ah, it's okay. It won't happen. Shifu's internal skills are superb and he always does good things, so he will surely grow old, safe and sound. 

-----

vivisextion wrote:

知音 zhī yīn, 知己 zhī jǐ, and why this qín-smashing is so damn painful - a meta thread

知音 ZHIYINYU BOYA, ZHONG ZIQI 

The story of Yu Boya and his 知音 zhī yīn has been passed down orally for centuries. Yu Boya was a renowned qin player, thought to have lived during the Warring States period/Spring Autumn period. He was from the state of Chu.  

As you can imagine, after so many years, there are many variations. I have translated the following from here, into a shorter version in English. Some versions are longer, but this is the main gist of it.

Boya was a renowned qín player, yet no one could understand the meaning in his music. He sailed a boat to the mouth of a river, and amidst the beautiful evening scenery he gazed upon the bright moon and played the qín. After some time, Boya discovered an appreciative woodcutter on the bank, by the name of Zhong Ziqi. Boya then invited him onto his boat, to play the qín for him.

When Boya’s qín resonated with power, Zhong Ziqi said ‘As imposing as the high mountains!’. When Boya’s qín streamed forth with clarity, Zhong Ziqi said ‘As endless as the flowing rivers!’.   Hence, the piece Boya is known for is 高山流水 (High MountainsFlowing Waters).  

Wild with joy Boya was for he had met his 知音 zhī yīn, the one who understood his music. They promised to reunite the following year. Unfortunately, upon his return Boya learned that Zhong Ziqi had passed away from illness, and was utterly grief-stricken.  

He played the same piece one last time before Zhong Ziqi’s tomb, and smashed his beloved qín to pieces upon it.    “我唯一的知音已不在人世了,这琴还弹给谁听呢?My only zhī yīn is not in this world any longer, who will I play this qín for?”  

IN SHAN HE LING

This word, 知音 zhī yīn, appears in Ep 9 of SHL, in reference to the 4 Sages of Anji.   ZZS uses it when describing the 4 Sages' relationship. Later, WKX says, 知音难觅 ('zhī yīn is difficult to find' - often quoted in relation to the Yu Boya-Zhong Ziqi story).  

They also quote 高山流水 High Mountains, Flowing Waters, the piece Yu Boya is most known for, which is a reference to this story of the 知音 zhī yīn.   

There is also another term similar to 知音 zhī yīn - 知己 zhī jǐ. You may recognise it from its use in Chen Qing Ling. It literally means 'to know oneself', ie. a person who knows you fully

It also appears in SHL - WKX and ZZS use it to refer to each other multiple times (there’s way more than just these two instances!).  

Some translations use 'confidant', but that or 'soulmate' doesn't even begin to touch that level of intimacy.   In addition, 音 yīn: music, thus 知音 literally means 'know-music', ie. someone who knows your music.  

THE ONE SAGE OF ANJI

But why is the Sage who smashes his qín particularly heartbreaking?   When this Sage saw his three 知音 die before his very eyes, he says "In this world no longer having 知音, what use in keeping you?" and smashes his instrument.... just like Yu Boya did upon Zhong Ziqi's grave.  

Thus, the terms 知音 and 知己 refer to kind of understanding of another that transcends romance, and speaks to a type of deep connection that is rare and sought after. As the stories of Yu Boya & Zhong Ziqi, as well as the 4 Sages of Anji show, 'soulmates' can be platonic as well.  

-----

This makes me think that XY referring to XL as 知音 in chapter 19 (in the context of XL/FFB being the only person in the world who truly understands and appreciates her poison creations) is incredibly apt for several reasons:

(1) Unexpectedly meeting a person from a totally different world / class / walk of life who becomes the one person who understands and appreciates your talents. 

• Boya was a nobleman / gentleman.
  • XY was a twice-royal princess.
  • Boya spent three years formally learning how to play the qin from an established master.

• XY spent the early years of her life living in the palaces of Gao Xing and Xuan Yuan and would have received a formal education (e.g., learning to read and write, formal etiquette, etc.)
  • XY's mother gave her the Jiu Li Poison Manual (compiled by the Voodoo King of Jiu Li - the world's foremost master of voodoo and poison) before she died. XY first came to learn about poison and voodoo when the Royal Mother of Jade Mountain forced XY to memorize the Jiu Li Poison Manual before destroying it.
  • Boya mastered the ability to convey solitary beauty through his qin playing after his master abandoned him in a remote setting where he was immersed in the sounds of nature. The understanding he gained through that experience led him to become one of the greatest qin players in history. 
  • XY was left on Jade Mountain for 70 years, and felt that her mother, father and CX had abandoned her. After running away, XY learned to transform her appearance, but ended up shunned by society. She spent 20 years living alone in the mountains before being captured by the nine-tailed fox. Then she spent 30 years in captivity, and during that time she began to apply her knowledge of poisons in order to take down the nine-tailed fox. These experiences led XY to understand the laws of nature ("Xiao Yao lived in the mountains for tens of years and understood the laws of nature among the beasts, to eat one’s own kill. She knew this was the law of the demons, the strong winning over the weak." - Chapter 43) and started her journey towards becoming the greatest poison master of her generation.
  • XY's suffering (especially the torture she endured while held captive by the nine-tailed fox) made her stronger, more resilient and emotionally intelligent, and allowed her to connect and empathize with the suffering of others (particularly XL's). 
  • According to some versions of the story, Zhong Ziqi was a nobleman / gentleman (like Boya) or a small businessman. But according to the most common version of their story, Zhong Ziqi was a humble woodcutter who would have lived a life surrounded by nature. 
  • In that version of the story, Boya and Zhong Ziqi had different origins / statuses and came from different walks of life, but were still able to connect through their mutual understanding of Boya's music.

• XL sometimes lived as FFB, who was a deity like XY. But his true identity was that of a nine-headed snake demon.
  • Take any combination of identities and compare them (Eldest Princess Gao Xing Jiu Yao / Xiling Jiu Yao / Wen Xiao Liu vs. nine-headed snake demon Xiang Liu / remnant army general and adopted son of Gong Gong / FFB). XY and XL had different statuses, were from different walks of life, and (to use XL's words) from different worlds. Despite all of that, they were still able to connect through their similar personalities and life experiences. That connection was facilitated through XY's poison-making skills and XL's unique position as the only person who could fully appreciate those skills.
  • In Chinese mythology, there is a common theme of people living in nature (especially fishermen and woodcutters) who understand life without book learning. Zhong Ziqi the woodcutter (who understands Boya's portrayal of nature through his skillful qin playing) fits that theme perfectly. 
  • Through his identities as FFB and as Gong Gong's adopted son, Xiang Liu would have received some education (e.g., learning to read and write). But he was born in the ocean, was forced to fight in slave death matches, and lived for over 100 years in the wilderness of the far north. He was familiar with the laws of nature and demons from birth, and his own blood was poison.
  • Xiang Liu's suffering (especially the time he spent as a slave in the death match arena) made him stronger, more resilient and emotionally intelligent, and allowed him to connect and empathize with the suffering of others (particularly XY's). 
  • Although Boya and Zhong Ziqi meet unexpectedly and (in some versions) come from different worlds, Ziqi immediately admires, understands and recognizes the skill of Boya's qin playing. 
  • Boya is surprised and delighted to have met someone who understands his music so perfectly.
  • Although XY and XL meet unexpectedly and come from different worlds, XL immediately recognizes the fact that XY has exceptional poison skills. 
  • XY eventually derives joy and immense satisfaction from having met someone who can fully understand and appreciate her poison-making skills.

(2) The joy of a unique understanding. Parting, but planning to meet again. 

• When Yu Boya played his qin, his music captured the beauty of nature. But no one understood and appreciated his music until he encountered Zhong Ziqi. Ziqi's thoughts were perfectly in sync with Boya's, and Ziqi perfectly understood the message that each of Boya's melodies conveyed. Only Ziqi could understand and truly appreciate Boya's music. The two were thrilled to have found someone with whom they shared such an understanding, and they planned to meet again in a year's time.
  • When XY made her poison creations, she put so much time, skill, effort, and emotion into them. She mastered her craft. But only XL/FFB could truly appreciate the full scope of her skill. Given their similar traumas and personalities (plus the additional insights afforded by the bug connection), XL/FFB was also the one person who was in the best position to fully understand XY's heart and soul. They clearly both enjoyed having such a person in their lives. After referring to him as 知音 in chapter 19, XY asks if he will continue to teach her archery. XL/FFB tells her, “I need to leave for a bit, wait for me to come back.” Although XY wishes that he could remain with her as FFB forever instead of returning to the remnant army, they part ways but are planning to meet again.

(3) The value of a relationship with an irreplaceable person is emphasized by the loss of such person in death. 

• When Boya returned to their promised meeting place, he discovered that Ziqi (the one who understood and appreciated Boya's musical skill) had died from illness. Ziqi's unexpected death cut their  知音 short. Boya (the one whose musical skill was understood and appreciated) lived on, mourning the loss of Ziqi and never playing the qin again. 
  • In LYF, XY discovers, to her horror, that XL (the one who understood and appreciated her + her poison-making skill) was killed in battle. His untimely death cut their  知音 short. XY (the one whose poison-making skill was understood and appreciated) lived on, mourning the loss of XL and presumably never making those types of poison creations ever again.
  • When Boya found out about Ziqi's death, he was devastated. He (a master qin player) destroyed his qin and chose to never play the qin again, because the one person who truly understood and appreciated his music was gone. Ziqi's death and Boya's reaction to it at the end of this story emphasizes the value of this rare and unique type of relationship. The profound intensity of that loss leads Boya to make a life-altering decision that he sticks to for the rest of his life, implying that he never forgot Ziqi and was never able (never even tried) to replace him or to recreate the unique understanding they shared.
  • XL metaphorically "kills" FFB in chapter 32, XL dies for real in chapter 51, and XY nearly dies in chapter 21 (and chapter 43, 44 and 47). They each also experience the loss of the other in a number of other ways on several occasions throughout the novel. The most devastating and permanent loss occurs when XY finds out about XL's death at the end of the novel. That marks the point in the story where XY decides to go to the ocean, leaving her family and her life in Xuan Yuan behind. Boya was a qin player who destroyed his beloved qin and gave up playing the qin for the rest of his life. The life-altering decisions they each make emphasize the impact of the loss they felt due to the deaths of their zhi yins. In other parts of the novel, XL and XY's actions and reactions to losing each other emphasizes how deeply they value their 知音 relationship.

(4) Alluding to the story of Boya and Ziqi by using the term 知音 can be used to foreshadow the loss of such a valuable person / relationship due to the death of the person in Ziqi's position. 

• XY referring to FFB/XL as 知音 could be interpreted as foreshadowing the metaphorical "death" of FFB in chapter 32, the real death of XL in chapter 51, and perhaps even the near-death of XY in chapter 21.
  • As noted above, comparing the relationship between two people to the relationship between Boya and Ziqi (directly as Chengling did in Word of Honor, or indirectly by using the term 知音) can be used to reference or foreshadow the loss of such a valuable relationship through death. 
  • XY says that it is enough to have one true 知音 in chapter 19 when XL enjoys consuming one of XY's masterful poison creations and XL declares that he is the only person in the world who can enjoy her "cooking" skills. That conversation ends with the two of them parting (XL needed to return to the remnant army for a bit), but planning to meet again (so that XL/FFB could continue XY's archery lessons). But they do not see each other again before XY's assassination in chapter 21, when XY is nearly killed. The pattern of events that unfolds in Boya and Ziqi's story (experiencing the joy of finding a 知音, parting but planning to meet again, and yet not being able to meet again due to death) is almost directly paralleled with XY and XL between chapter 19 and chapter 21.  

知音 manages to allude to all of that and captures the special nature of XL and XY's relationship, but does so in a way that is indirect enough that it is "safe" for XY to acknowledge / say out loud.

Masterful. 

AH :
This makes me think that XY referring to XL as 知音 in chapter 19 (in the context of XL/FFB being the only person in the world who truly understands and appreciates her poison creations) is incredibly apt for several reasons:

AH :
vivisextion wrote:

知音 zhī yīn, 知己 zhī jǐ, and why this qín-smashing is so damn painful - a meta thread

知音 ZHIYIN: YU BOYA, ZHONG ZIQI 

Hi @AH,

your reply in that discussion section motivated me to write my reply to that thread which I had read before. I was quite frustrated at how they created content. But I know they always just replied with their single minded opinion without evidence. 

About the legend of the musician, I knew it and actually it was mentioned in the poem that Tong Hua used as title for chapter 25 (Li Bai's poem about zhi yin friends). I first wanted to mention it as example of zhi yin friendship but just lazy to reopen other page. 

Chapter 25, FFB told XY that she graduated and no need to take archery lesson. Although, the title seems to link to her reaction when XY knew FFYY got pregnant but the poem was about the loss of zhiyin friend. 

-----------------------------------------

Poem for title of chapter 25

月夜听卢子顺弹琴 by 李白〔唐代〕(By Li Bai [Tang Dynasty])

闲夜坐明月,幽人弹素琴。
忽闻悲风调,宛若寒松吟。
白雪乱纤手,绿水清虚心。
钟期久已没,世上无知音。

Translation and annotation: [1]

Translation:
Sitting under the bright moon at night, listening to the ghostly Mr. Lu playing the guqin.
Suddenly, I heard the tune of "Sad Wind", which seemed to be the sound of "Cold Pine".
The fingering of "White Snow" makes you busy, and the syllables of "Green Water" are really nourishing and pure.
It's a pity that Zhong Ziqi has long since died, and there is no such bosom friend in the world. (*)

Annotation:
Sitting on the moon at night, a work of "sitting on the moon at night".
Shi Juyue's "Qin Music Score" includes "Sad Wind Exercise", "Cold Pine Exercise", and "White Snow Exercise". "White Post": "Yang Chun", "White Snow", "Green Water", "Sad Wind", "Youlan", "Farewell Crane", and the title of the guqin songs.
(*): this sentence refers to the following original story: Boya is good at drumming and guqin, and Zhong Ziqi is good at listening. Boya drum and guqin, aiming at the high mountains. Zhong Ziqi said: "Good, E's beautiful like Mount Tai!" Aiming at flowing water, Zhong Ziqi said: "Good, like a river!" "What Boya read, Zhong Zi would get. When the Zhong Zi died, Boya said that there was no more acquaintance in the world, he broke the strings of the guqin and never regained the drum for life.

H19279:
Hi @AH,

your reply in that discussion section motivated me to write my reply to that thread which I had read before.

I probably shouldn't have replied to the soulmate comment in that thread. It's just that translating these terms is a topic that I find hugely interesting... and I must admit I'm very happy to have gotten the clarification you provided. Now the discussion has ended up in the thread where it probably always belonged, so hopefully all's well that ends well. 

H19279:
About the legend of the musician, I knew it and actually it was mentioned in the poem that Tong Hua used as title for chapter 25 (Li Bai's poem about zhi yin friends).

H19279:
Poem for title of chapter 25

月夜听卢子顺弹琴 by 李白〔唐代〕(By Li Bai [Tang Dynasty])
闲夜坐明月,幽人弹素琴。
忽闻悲风调,宛若寒松吟。
白雪乱纤手,绿水清虚心。
钟期久已没,世上无知音

Translation and annotation: [1]
Translation:
Sitting under the bright moon at night, listening to the ghostly Mr. Lu playing the guqin.
Suddenly, I heard the tune of "Sad Wind", which seemed to be the sound of "Cold Pine".
The fingering of "White Snow" makes you busy, and the syllables of "Green Water" are really nourishing and pure.
It's a pity that Zhong Ziqi has long since died, and there is no such bosom friend in the world.

Thank you for this!

H19279:
Chapter 25, FFB told XY that she graduated and no need to take archery lesson. Although, the title seems to link to her reaction when XY knew FFYY got pregnant but the poem was about the loss of zhiyin friend. 

Interesting. Yes, that is one of the many times / ways in which XY lost XL/FFB. 

After 10+ years of learning from him earnestly, enjoying yet another avenue of deep understanding between them, and also having such a convenient excuse for being close to him... suddenly no more lessons and no more master / disciple relationship. A heavy loss indeed. 

And perhaps this reference also foreshadows XY's dream in the next chapter (where warm and approachable FFB turns into cold and unapproachable XL), and the permanent loss of FFB when XL "kills" him in chapter 32?

Kokuto:
But I'd say Xin Yue's choices were also driven by greater concerns. Her choice could literally be life and death. If CX failed, he and his family would be executed -- and their failure could even extend to her clan, who she was the heiress to.

If XY's choice failed, well, we saw what happened. She was depressed. Nothing was going to blowback on her royal family.

Xiao Yao was in a very privileged position, IMO. Once she regained her identity she was probably the most privileged woman in the land. Her father, grandfather and CX all spoiled her rotten. Unlike other royal ladies who would be expected to marry for political alliances, XY could have done whatever the hell she wanted - marry or not marry - and her family would have backed her. CX would probably be jolly happy if she doesn't get married, ever :-). Girl should have just gone around the world trip, eaten all the food, and seen all the scenery. Makes new friends on the way. She wouldn't even have to worry about money issues. Maybe she's even met an interesting companion instead of moping around for some man. What a waste :-)!