AH :
Jodhaa Akbar is a historical bollywood film that is very loosely based on (more like "inspired by") historical events and figures from the 1500s

AH :
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi is a modern day SRK bollywood film where a plain man has feelings for his wife (who was betrothed to him by her father before he died), but she doesn't have feelings for him

Thank you for the explanations and the link!

AH :
Agneepath

Argh. No, we don't want that ending. What we already have as canon is bad enough. 

You know, with all the artistic license taken with adaptations, often changed beyond recognition, perhaps we will strike gold and get one with this AU too. Scarlet Heart has seen 2 drama adaptations (with a third on the way) and a movie, and apart from the 2011 drama, there are significant changes in the other two. Will we ever see another adaptation of LYF with an AU premise? Would we want to see one that strays even further from the novel?

HeadInTheClouds:
I'll take that boon.

Yay, another one on board!

HeadInTheClouds:
They could go full-on death and have XY self-immolate like in Padmaavat. Although, that's definitely not what XL would have wanted for her. 

I haven't seen that one, but I've heard it's sort of the opposite of Jodhaa Akbar? Instead of a Muslim Emperor who is respectful of a Hindu princess' wishes and boundaries, it features a tyrannical Muslim King who invades a kingdom to try to forefully steal a Hindu Queen from a Hindu King?

HeadInTheClouds:

AH :
Hmmm. I think it would definitely need to happen after XY had confirmed that FFB was XL, so the lines would be blurred. At that point it's partly a question of what colour his hair would be, and also partly a question of whether his "armour" would be on or not. If they spent a night together, I feel like that would be the version of XL with his armour off.

Writing XL without his "amour" is tricky since we rarely experience him without it in the novel. We know that he is capable of being sweet, thoughtful and tender as he showed many of these as FFB. However, in the early days of FFB, he still had that playboy veneer on and his behaviour had that playboy gloss to them. His FFB became more XL-like as the story progressed.

My impression was that his "armour" is off in almost every scene where he is FFB. One obvious exception being chapter 23, when he puts it back on momentarily when he intentionally scares XY into TSJ's arms. 

-----

Chapter 18:

Xiao Yao thought back and realized that Fang Feng Bei appeared different than Xiang Liu only on the surface, but the way he didn’t give a damn about anything and didn’t want for anything was the same attitude. The only difference was Xiang Liu appeared to be him when wearing battle armor and heading to war on the battlefield, while Fang Feng Bei was him who shed the armor and was enjoying exploring the world.

-----

Chapter 23:

Xiao Yao walked and talked. “I was thinking that when you escaped the slave death match arena, wouldn’t it have been great if I was the one who saved you? If that was the case, then I would let you only be Fang Feng Bei! I really hate that I wasn’t born a few hundred years earlier. I would definitely find you in the slave death match arena…….”

Bei stopped and stared at Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao turned and stared at him, their eyes meeting in the darkness, wanting to say more but not.

Bei reached out his hand as if to caress Xiao Yao’s cheek but the moment he touched her, he jerked his hand back. He glanced behind Xiao Yao and then smirked. “Based on you right now wanting to save me? Are you worthy?”

Xiao Yao tried to explain, “I’m not saying General Gong Gong isn’t a good guy, I just think, I just feel…..”

“Be quiet!” In that instant Bei appeared to don a full armor, wrapping himself tightly in a deadly aura.

Xiao Yao stared warily at Xiang Liu and then slowly backed up.

She backed into a familiar embrace. “Jing?”

“Yes.” Jing held Xiao Yao and stared at Bei, his eyes full of warning.

Bei’s dangerous aura vanished and he laughed. “I heard you wanted to break the engagement. You just became clan leader, do you think my sister isn’t good enough for you now?”

HeadInTheClouds:
 AH :
Calling back to all the times that XY wished that XL would be FFB (and stay with her in her world) forever, I think even if his hair was white for the scene there would be a case to say that he would need to be at least partly FFB for such a scene.

FFB and XL are one and the same, it's just a matter of how much playboy or military advisor veneer he's putting on. It has always been XL that she loves - she fell in love with XL even before she met his FFB persona. I think once she reconciled the two identities, it was XL that she was interacting with in her mind - just one without his Military Advisor identity front and centre.

I can't really tell if our views are different or the same here. 

IMO, when it comes to "FFB and XL are one and the same" ... they are and they aren't. And I don't think either version is characterized by a veneer... it's more like each is a different side of himself that he leans into. But both are genuine versions of himself. Not a fake or surface-level act. Tong Hua seemed pretty clear about that. 

I do think FFB is XL "without his military advisor identity front and centre" and that XY viewed him that way (for the most part) after XL confirmed that he was FFB. 

I also think that FFB's warmth, his ability to seem ordinary (and to make XY feel ordinary), and his focus on pursuing happiness and pleasure in the moment differentiate him from XY's coldness, his etheralness and identity as a commander of an army that is at war with XY's family, and his commitment to his (painful) long-term plans.

And when XY wishes that XL could just be FFB forever, I think she's wishing that he could be the version of himself that was warm, able to pass for ordinary, and willing + able to spend so much time with her doing ordinary things like practicing archery, going out for meals, gambling and exploring. Perhaps the person he was for over 100 years before he joined the Shengong remnant army. Instead of the etheral, remote, and cold version of himself that was a soldier committed to a war against her grandfather and CX.

-----

Chapter 19:

Every few days she would go find Fang Feng Bei to practice archery and afterwards head to the city of Zhi Yi and Zhe Province to play. Fang Feng Bei lived up to his reputation as a consummate ne’er-do-well playboy for the last four hundred years, he knew Zhi Yi and Zhe Province like the back of his hand. Whatever nook and cranny had something fun, he could find it, whatever was tasty, he would find it. The two of them were each other’s companion as they enjoyed life’s endless pleasures.

Zhi Yi and Zhe Province were equally as far from Five Gods Mountain and from Xuan Yuan Mountain, so whether it was the Grand Emperor of the Yellow Emperor, it was far enough to make their influence seem tenuous. Those who had seen Xiao Yao’s true face were very few so once she put on the attire of the Middle Plains and lightened her complexion a little and used concealer to cover her peach blossom birthmark, she became an ordinary girl who was quite pretty enough.

When she was with Fang Feng Bei, Xiao Yao often forgot her identity and she would feel like she was still Wen Xiao Liu except wearing girl clothes.

Xiao Yao knew Fang Feng Bei was Xiang Liu, but because this wasn’t the battlefield and he wasn’t being a cold and ruthless battle god, it was like he took off his armor and resumed living the ordinary life as well. He was a spare son who didn’t have any ambition or influence, she was an ordinary goddess girl with very low power. No one ever paid them any attention.

Xiao Yao gradually understood what Xiang Liu meant – he wasn’t pretending to be Fang Feng Bei. He was just being himself. To him, Fang Feng Bei was like having a job that gave him a lot of freedom and he didn’t need to work everyday. When he did work for the Fang Feng family, they would give him money. If he didn’t have enough money, he would work side jobs. As for what being Xiang Liu meant to him, Xiao Yao didn’t know and didn’t dare ask.

Fang Feng Bei walked behind her and held her hand and gently guided it and Xiao Yao was able to pull back the string.

Xiao Yao released the arrow and it hit the dummy right in the center of the chest.

Xiao Yao happily said, “This bow is it!”

Bei released Xiao Yao’s hand and smiled very warmly. Xiao Yao knew what he was thinking because four years ago she had the same misconception - that Bei was teaching her archery as a method to pick girls up.

The sales clerk of course didn’t know Jing and Yi Yang’s identity but he still handed the package to Jing for him to pay. Yi Yang glanced at the weapons and suggested, “Jing, please pay for the bow and arrow for my second brother!”

That suggestion made Xiao Yao completely uncomfortable and Xiao Yao didn’t know why but in that moment any man could pay for that bow and arrow for her except for Jing!

Xiao Yao took the bow and arrow from the sales clerk and put it in Bei’s hands and said with a smiling pout to Bei, “If Master Jing were to pay for it, then wouldn’t it become a gift from Master Jing to me?”

Bei stared at Xiao Yao and his gaze was icy cold.

Xiao Yao bit her lip and lowered her head, Xiang Liu was not just any man. She just made a huge, huge mistake!

Bei’s gaze was still icy cold but he smiled and took out money and turned to Yi Yang and Jing, “I’ll accept the thought but this bow and arrow is my present to Xiao Yao so I can’t let you guys pay for it.”

Yi Yang smiled and apologized to Xiao Yao “I’m sorry, I was too inconsiderate.”

Bei said to Jing and Yi Yang “You two enjoy shopping, we have to leave now.”

Xiao Yao followed behind Bei and quickly left the store.

Bei tossed the bow and arrow at Xiao Yao and coldly said, “Pay me back for it.”

Xiao Yao took out money and gave him the exact amount he paid for it.

There were two beggars on the side of the street and Bei took Xiao Yao’s money and put it in front of them. Both beggars eyes opened wide to see so much money before them.

Bei smiled “For you both” before turning and striding off.

Xiao Yao stared at the two beggars who were weeping tears of joy and hugging each other, and she completely understood what Xiang Liu meant by doing that.

Xiao Yao asked, “Can you continue teaching me archery now?” What she really meant to ask was – are you not angry at me anymore?

Bei finished his wine. “I need to leave for a bit, wait for me to come back.”

Xiao Yao figured he was going back to Qing Shui town. Even if there was no active warfare, he was still the General of the Sheng Nong resistance army and there was much he had to do.

Xiao Yao couldn’t help it and sighed loudly and murmured, “If only you could forever be Fang Feng Bei, that would be so great.”

-----

Chapter 23:

Xiao Yao walked and talked. “I was thinking that when you escaped the slave death match arena, wouldn’t it have been great if I was the one who saved you? If that was the case, then I would let you only be Fang Feng Bei! I really hate that I wasn’t born a few hundred years earlier. I would definitely find you in the slave death match arena…….”

“Be quiet!” In that instant Bei appeared to don a full armor, wrapping himself tightly in a deadly aura.

Xiao Yao stared warily at Xiang Liu and then slowly backed up.

She backed into a familiar embrace. “Jing?”

“Yes.” Jing held Xiao Yao and stared at Bei, his eyes full of warning.

Bei’s dangerous aura vanished and he laughed. “I heard you wanted to break the engagement. You just became clan leader, do you think my sister isn’t good enough for you now?”

-----

Chapter 25:

Fang Feng Bei was riding a winged horse through the crowds, his expression gentle with a smile on his lips, just like any regular son of a rich family.

Xiao Yao was rooted in place and watched him come closer to her through the dense thrum of bustling ordinary life. Even knowing it was hopeless, she still fervently wished that this ordinary world could keep him in it.

-----

Chapter 27:

In her dream, she saw Jing with his son, but she couldn’t see his son’s face, only that he curled in his dad’s arms and called him sweetly “Daddy” while Jing smiled back.

Xiao Yao ran away as fast as she could and in a second she ran from Qing Qiu to Qing Shui Town. Xiao Yao jumped in the river and swam towards the vast blue ocean. She could see endless horizons and the joy of swimming freely, but she was so, so tired! Where could she go in this entire world? Fang Feng Bei appeared on the surface and he sat on an all white clam shell smiling at her with his black hair flying in the breeze. Xiao Yao swam towards him but in a second his hair turned all white and he became Xiang Liu coldly staring at her. White clam shell, all white Xiang Liu, it was like an ice mountain floating on the ocean surface.

The black-hair-him, the white-hair-him, closer and further away……Xiao Yao suddenly turned and swam towards land, as she swam her tears tumbled down like rain……

Xiao Yao startled awake from her dream and felt coldness next to her. She touched her face and discovered that she was drenched in tears.

-----

Chapter 32:

Xiao Yao walked outside and saw Xiang Liu standing in the courtyard.

His hair was back to being all white and fell behind him like a waterfall. The tree behind him had red leaves and the brightness contrasted so that he looked even more ethereal like untouched snow.

Xiao Yao sensed something but had to confirm it. “Where is Fang Feng Bei?”

Xiang Liu coolly replied, “He’s dead.”

Xiao Yao stared at Xiang Liu and her eyes were blinded in pain by his whiteness like a cloud and like the snow. Tears came to her eyes, Fang Feng Bei took her away and now Fang Feng Bei was dead and would never appear again. From now on, it was only Xiang Liu. That irresponsible man who did whatever he wanted, taught her archery, took her through the world seeking the simplest of pleasures… that man was now dead.

He once said that she and he were just temporary companions in this unpredictable life seeking happiness. He never lied to her!

Xiang Liu quietly stared at Xiao Yao, his face was like a ten thousand year old snow mountain, cold and inscrutable.

Xiao Yao abruptly turned around and grabbed a pail of water from the well and splashed the cold water on her face. When she lifted her head her face was all wet. she didn’t know if her tears came down and mixed with the water or was forced back and never fell.

-----

Chapter 35:

She stared at Xiang Liu and the man before her was that dissolute wastrel, but the moment she was about to become torn again, a strand of white hair fell that reminded her exactly who he was. Xiao Yao softly stroked his hair and said, “This place is not safe to stay. Pay your respects and hurry off!”

-----

Chapter 43:

“What about the man who was with you before? You called him Bei.” Left Ear saw Bei many times in the slave death match arena, but he was always wearing a dog face mask so Left Ear didn’t know what Bei looked like.

Xiao Yao looked at Xiang Liu just as he glanced at her and the two’s eyes met. Xiao Yao immediately looked away and said to Left Ear, “He died.”

Left Ear’s normally dispassionate eyes turned sad. In his heart, Bei wasn’t just someone who experienced the same fate as him, he was also Left Ear’s teacher that guided him to be reborn. Many times when Left Ear collapsed from a severe injury, feeling like not a shred of hope was left, he would see Bei silently sitting in the audience staring at him. He never said anything, but Bei’s presence was enough to convey warmth and hope to Left Ear. It gave him strength to stand back up one more time. Left Ear’s gratitude to Xiao Yao wasn’t just because she hugged him and gave him a sack of money, it was also because of Xiao Yao and Bei’s relationship. Because Xiao Yao accepted his own species, because she was friends with his own species.

Left Ear asked, “Do you miss him?”

Xiao Yao sighed and didn’t answer.

Left Ear was persistent and stared at Xiao Yao to ask again, “He’s not here anymore. Do you miss him?”

Xiao Yao cried out, “Yes!”

Left Ear smiled. “That will make him very happy.”

Xiao Yao stared at Xiang Liu as she said to Left Ear, “You’re not him. How do you know whether he cares that someone misses him? He totally wouldn’t care.”

Left Ear’s expression was dead serious, and he normally spoke so little and cared not to explain anything, but now he was very agitated and said, “I know! We slaves are never scared of death! We’re not scared of anything, other than being scared of the dark! If I died and someone missed me.” Left Ear used his fist to hit his chest. “Then it wouldn’t be dark here, it would be very bright and very happy!”

Left Ear’s eyes lit up and he happily said, “I will! I will be your bodyguard!”

Xiao Yao said, “Then it’s set. In the future you will protect me and I will ensure you have food to eat and clothes to wear, and I’ll find you a wife.”

Left Ear’s pale face blushed slowly so he focused on steering the ship and avoided looking at Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu.

Xiao Yao smiled and looked at Left Ear, feeling this hard to grasp feeling inside. Many years ago, was Xiang Liu just like this? Appearing dangerous and deadly, but actually simple and straightforward. If she could have met Xiang Liu back then, could he have found the woman he loved? Would he take her to buy perfumes at the flower demon shops? Go eat at hard to find restaurants in little alleys… Xiao Yao glanced at Xiang Liu but he was standing with his profile to her, looking at the ocean with a small warm smile on his lips. Because of the angle, his smile made his face no longer cold, but instead splashed with a sliver of warmth.

Xiao Yao stared for a while before looking away so that she could sort out all the jumbled feelings in her heart. She went inside the cabin to check on Miao Pu, feeding her another pill and some water before heading outside.

-----

Chapter 46

Zhuan Xu sighed. “No matter my admiration for Xiang Liu, we stand on opposite sides so I hope you don’t have any further ties with him.”

Xiao Yao said, “Don’t worry, I know!” It was because it was so clear since the very beginning, that’s why Xiang Liu kept reminding her, and she kept reminding herself, that she and Xiang Liu could never be friends.

HeadInTheClouds:
Talking about this just makes me sad :-(

Oh?

HeadInTheClouds:
How are you going with your Healer/LYF mash-up?

Oh dear, if I've given the impression that there is a draft in the works, that was not intentional. I haven't been writing anything for that. It's just a fun concept that I enjoyed thinking about. I haven't been thought about it in a while, but I won't be surprised if it comes back to haunt me again at some point. Maybe someday it will haunt me enough that I actually do write something, but the chances are pretty miniscule. 

liddi:
Thank you for the explanations and the link!

You're welcome!

liddi:
Argh. No, we don't want that ending. What we already have as canon is bad enough. 

Agreed. 

liddi:
Will we ever see another adaptation of LYF with an AU premise? Would we want to see one that strays even further from the novel?

That second question is key. I can't help but think "be careful what you wish for."

An AU adaptation has the potential to be amazing... or terrible. 

The beauty of fic writing is that you get to make the story something that feels closer to "amazing" according to your own standards. When a film or TV adaptation is in some else's hands... suddenly the odds of being satisfied don't look as promising. 

@AH,

with regard to the matter of FFB vs. XL,

you miss an important line in chapter 44 when Left Ear asked XY if one day he would be like XL (strong and shrewd). XY said she wished him to be more Bei but anyway they are the same 

windiaaa041293:

@liddi

Have you ever read a fanfic that tells how XL and XY spent the 2nd night when XL hid in Xy's room? The blank space deliberately left by Tonghua, I have read one of them, and of course it is not out of the original work.someone even said "is your name tonghua? if not I say from now on it's you"LOL,The article also created a Yaoliu fanfic about Xiaoyao returning to Qingshui City to find Xiang Liu after 37 years under the sea.

This sounds interesting. Can you give me a link to the story or a name? Thank you. 

Curious if anyone beside me ties XY's poisons to XL to her remark about how only if someone views life with her, the view has meaning. 

Also, does her "dream" perfume hints to Shakespear's play, a midsummer night's dream? I haven't read this particular play, I am more into his tragedies, but checking the synopsys, I find quite a few things similar to what happened in chapter 32. XY running away with XL, XL's questions, the spell he put on her afterwards, her reply about how everything is not going to be ok.  Is TH into shakespeare? 

nathsketch:

This is interesting.

Dang it. Sad/bad things historically always happened in August. So of course, my birthday gift in 2013 was Xiang Liu dying. ༎ຶ⁠_⁠༎ຶ

A hug is in order.

liddi:
It actually worked effectively to obfuscate viewers who initially thought the flashbacks were of Xiao Yao being imprisoned and tortured by the nine-tailed fox as a child, until we see the red eyes and realise it was Xiang Liu recalling his own dark past.

It's a good way to show their shared experience and understanding. Ideally, they should have transitioned it to another child with silver hair.

liddi:
Not exactly. The game actually has a feature where players leave comments in scenes, similar to streaming platforms, and from the start, the comments read like a Xiang Liu fan-girl event, way before his character actually shows up in the story LOL.

Oh dear! LOL. I'm not at all surprised though. For XL's fans, any XL is better than no XL. TH is sitting on a money-making machine. All she has to do is write a few short stories featuring XL, and there will be an audience for it. Who was it that said she would be watching Filter with the hope of getting some XL's Easter Eggs? ;-)

liddi:
The ease with which you come up with all these recommendations makes me wonder whether your home and hair is similarly reinforced for eventualities like these LOL! Do you think I can get that headgear in silver, in solidarity with our favourite nine-headed demon?

I admit to nothing :-). 

According to my friend, Temu is the answer to everything you could ever need so you could probably find the headgear in silver. Failing that, just get a can of silver paint and spray to your heart's content :-)

OK. So I'm reading through the first 200 pages of this thread (I didn't join in until later) and some of the comments!!!! Funny and sad at the same time. Oh dear! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I might just have to post some of y'all comments from way back when. Some posters have already fled this sinking ship/drama.

I'm just waiting for the disappointment in Season 2 from the ones that are still here

Events Occurring During a Full Moon

This post attempts to compile a list of events in 长相思 (Lost You Forever) that occurred during a full moon (the 15th day of the lunar month for short months, but can also fall on the 16th or 17th day on some months). Based on the words used to describe the moon and context clues from the novel, we will categorize events as:

• Occurred during a full moon.
  • Possibly occurred during a full moon.
  • Did not occur during a full moon.
  • Irrelevant to the cycle of the moon in the sky.

Passages with references to the full moon were compiled by searching the text for the following:

• "满月", "月满" - "满" (mǎn) means "full." "满月" (mǎn yuè) means "full moon." Events tied to these references occurred during a full moon.
  • "望月", "月望" - "望" (wàng) means "to gaze at." "望月" (wàng yuè) means "full moon." Events tied to these references occurred during a full moon.
  • "圆月", "月圆" - "圆“ (yuán) means "round." "圆月" (yuán yuè) can mean either "round moon" or "full moon." However, "月圆" (yuè yuán) is indicative of a full moon. Events tied to these references occurred during or around the time a full moon. Context clues can help with the classification of these events. Unless we are certain that an event occurred during a full moon, we will use the term "round moon."
  • "轮月", "月轮", "一轮" - "轮" (lún) means "round." "轮月" (lún yuè) means either "round moon" or "full moon." However, "月轮" (yuè lún) is indicative of a full moon. "一轮" (yī lún) is a quantifier that can be used to quantify a round or full moon.  Events tied to these references occurred during or around the time of a full moon. Context clues can help with the classification of these events. Unless we are certain that an event occurred during a full moon, we will use the term "round moon."

In order to catch the Fei Fei, Xiao Liu smeared its feces on his skin. He then told Shi Qi about how many medicinal ingredients come from animal feces. In this passage, “望月砂” is a medicinal ingredient that roughly translates to “moondust”, so has nothing to do with a full moon.

小六抓起地上的粪便,特意走远几步,小心地涂抹在裸露的肌肤上,边涂边对十七说:“是不是有点恶心?在你出生长大的环境中从来没见过吧!其实没有那么脏了,不少好药材都是动物的粪便,望月砂是野兔的粪便,白丁香是麻雀的粪便,五灵脂是飞鼠的粪便……”小六一抬头,十七就站在他身旁,小六愣了愣,忘了下面想说什么。
Xiao Liu picked up the feces from the ground, deliberately took a few steps away, and carefully smeared it on the exposed skin. While applying it, he said to Shi Qi, "Isn't it a bit disgusting? You've never seen it in the environment where you were born and raised, right! Actually, it's not that dirty. Many good medicinal ingredients come from animal feces. 
Moondust is from wild rabbit droppings, white lilac comes from sparrow droppings, and Five Spirits Resin comes from flying squirrel droppings..." Xiao Liu looked up, and Shi Qi was standing next to him. Xiao Liu paused for a moment, forgetting what he wanted to say next.

— Vol 1 Ch 2 (Chapter 2)

After several months of not seeing Xiang Liu, Xiao Liu used Chuan Zi's marriage as an excuse to see him and ask if Tian Er's prostitute house belonged to the Shen Nong remnant army. They met in a tree on a night with a round moon. At the end of the encounter, Xiao Liu angered Xiang Liu by refusing his help and Xiang Liu caused Xiao Liu to fall from the tree.

小六抬头看去,白雕驮着相柳从圆月中飞来,白衣白发,从九天飞下,若雪一般,轻轻地落在小六身旁。
Xiao Liu looked up and saw a white condor carrying Xiang Liu flying from the 
round moon. Wearing white clothes with white hair, descending from the heavens, like snow, they gently landed beside Xiao Liu.

— Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

Xiang Liu took Xiao Liu to see the moon rise from the surface of the ocean on a night with a round moon.

没有多久,一轮,缓缓从海面升起,清辉倾泻而下,小六被天地瑰丽震撼,心上的硬壳都柔软了。
Before long, 
a bright round moon slowly rose from the surface of the ocean, casting clear and bright moonlight down. Stunned by the breathtaking sight, the hard shell around Xiao Liu’s heart softened.

天上那
轮月,小六看着它,它却静静地照拂着大地。
Xiao Liu looked at the 
round moon in the sky, while it silently illuminated the land.

— Vol 1 Ch 4 (Chapter 4)

Around the time Fang Feng Yi Ying tried to assassinate Xuan, Xiang Liu took Xiao Liu on a turbulent ride on Mao Qiu before grabbing Xiao Liu and jumping from a great height into the sea. After this harrowing experience, the two have a heart-to-heart talk, where Xiao Liu expressed his views on the ephemeral nature of happiness. The full moon is mentioned here to illustrate Xiao Liu’s philosophy on life.

小六叹气,“和睦时光总是短暂,就如人世间的欢愉总是刹那。花开则谢,月圆则亏,但凡世间美好的东西莫不如此。”
Xiao Liu sighed, "Harmonious moments are always ephemeral, just like the happiness in the world is always fleeting. Flowers in bloom fade, the
full moon wanes, but this is the nature of all beautiful things in the world."

— Vol 1 Ch 7 (Chapter 7)

Xiao Yao recounted to Cang Xuan and Jing about how she escaped from the eight-tailed fox. The eight-tailed fox said that he would eat her in two days on the night of the full moon.

一个晚上,他说再过两天的月圆之夜就可以吃我了,他唱着悲伤的歌谣喝醉了,笼子没完全锁好,我又已经研究了三十年如何逃跑,已会开锁,我从笼子里跑出来,悄悄地给他的酒里下了药,然后又溜回笼子里,把自己锁好。
One night, he said that in two days on the night of the 
full moon, he would eat me. He sang sad songs and got drunk. The cage wasn't completely locked, and I had been studying how to escape for thirty years. I knew how to pick the lock. I ran out of the cage, secretly drugged his wine, then slipped back into the cage and locked myself in.

— Vol 1 Ch 9 (Chapter 9)

At the Chi Shui Autumn Tournament, a large group of people were step singing in a circle. The following passage describes the tradition of step singing and its evolution. People began to perform step singing during nights of the full moon.

踏歌刚开始是庆祝丰收、祭祀天地的活动,人们为庆祝收获的喜悦,围聚在一起,高声欢歌,用手打着拍子,脚踏节奏而舞。渐渐地,踏歌形式越来越广泛,月圆时,人们会月下踏歌,离别时,人们会踏歌送行。
Step singing originally began as an activity to celebrate of the harvest and offer sacrifices to the heavens and earth. People gathered together to celebrate the joy of the harvest, singing loudly, clapping their hands in rhythm, and dancing to the beat. Gradually, this form of step singing became more and more widespread. During 
full moons, people would step sing under the moon, and when bidding farewell, they would step sing to see someone off.

— Vol 1 Ch 11 (Chapter 11)

After Xiao Yao's introduction ceremony. Xiang Liu colluded with A Nian to push Xiao Yao off a cliff into the ocean on a full moon night.

今夜是满月之夜,月色真的很好,银辉落在树梢,又洒在青石小路上。小夭踏着月色,一个人慢慢地走着,距离山脚已不远,海潮拍打礁石的声音隐隐传来。
Tonight is the night of the 
full moon. The moonlight is really beautiful, casting silver brilliance on the treetops and sprinkling on the bluestone path. Xiao Yao walked alone under the moonlight, taking slow steps. The foot of the mountain is not far away, and the sound of waves crashing against the rocks can be faintly heard.

— Vol 1 Ch 13 (Chapter 13)

Jing and Xiao Yao spent the night together on a boat on a night with a round moon. This was after the full moon night when Xiao Yao refused to air kiss Xiang Liu, so we know that the moon described in this passage is not a true full moon. The following passage describes Jing’s thoughts:

海风轻轻吹动,海潮轻轻摇动着船,他望着天上的圆月,只想就这么过一夜。
The sea breeze gently blew, the tide softly rocked the boat, and he gazed at the 
round moon in the sky, wishing to spend the night like this.

— Vol 1 Ch 14 (Chapter 14)

Xiang Liu fed Xiao Yao his soul blood every full moon night during their 37 years at sea. He woke her up on a full moon night.

相柳说道:“今夜是上弦月,像一把弓。每次满月时,我都要给你疗伤,不可能带你来海上,我也好多年没有看见过满月了。”
小夭心想,原来我没有估计错,他真的是每月给我疗伤一次。听说满月时,妖族的妖力最强,大概正因为如此,相柳才选择满月时给她疗伤。
Xiang Liu said, “Tonight is the first quarter moon, like a bow. Every 
full moon, I have to heal your injuries, so I can’t bring you to the surface of the sea. I haven't seen a full moon in many years."
Xiao Yao thought to herself, "So I didn't guess wrong; he really does heal me once a month. I heard that during the full moon, the demonic power of the demon clan is strongest. It's probably because of this that Xiang Liu chooses to heal me during the full moon.”

相柳抱起小夭:“今夜是月圆之夜,我带你去玩一会儿吧!”
小夭不解,
月圆之夜不是应该疗伤吗?
Xiang Liu picked up Xiao Yao and said, "Tonight is a 
full moon night. Let me take you to play for a while!"
Xiao Yao was puzzled, shouldn’t 
full moon nights be used for healing?

— Vol 2 Ch 5 (Chapter 22)

King Gao Xin summoned Xing Chen, the most famed weapons forger in the Jin Tian Clan to make a bow and arrows for Xiao Yao. After discussing requirements with Xiao Yao, Jin Tian came back a little over a month later saying that the weapons were almost ready. Someone had commissioned a bow that took 35 years to forge, but changed his mind and didn’t want it. The catch is that the bow needs the blood of a nine-headed demon from a full moon night to recognize its owner. Xiao Yao met Xing Chen on the night of the full moon to make the bow recognize Xiao Yao as its owner.

“需要海底妖王九头妖的妖血,还必须是月圆之夜的血。”
"We need the blood of the King of the Seas, the nine-headed demon, and it must be blood from the night of the 
full moon."

星沉说:“只要是
月圆夜就可以。”
小夭说:“好,这个月的
月圆之夜,我去找你。”
Xing Chen said: "As long as it's the night of the 
full moon.”
Xiao Yao said: "Okay, on the night of the 
full moon this month, I will go find you."

月圆之夜,金天谷。
On the night of the 
full moon, in Jin Tian Valley.

星沉看了看天空的
圆月,开始念诵祭语,她的声音刚开始很舒缓,渐渐地越来越快,火焰小山在熠熠生辉,映照得整个天空都发红。
Xing Chen glanced at the 
full moon in the sky, then began reciting the sacrificial incantation. Her voice started out calm, gradually speeding up. The flaming hill shimmered brightly, casting a red glow over the entire sky.

— Vol 2 Ch 7 (Chapter 24)

A rumor was spread that Xiao Yao is Chi Chen’s daughter. On the first full moon of the new year Jing, Cang Xuan, and Xiao Yao headed to Zhi Yi City to see the lanterns. On that night of the full moon, Xiao Yao ended up at the donkey meat restaurant where Xiang Liu comforted her about her parentage and kissed her forehead.

新年的第一个月圆之日,小夭主动提出要去轵邑城里看花灯,璟和玱玹自然都说好。
On the first 
full moon day of the new year, Xiao Yao proposed to go to Zhi Yi City to see the lanterns, and naturally Jing and Cang Xuan agreed.

— Vol 3 Ch 2 (Chapter 35)

King Gao Xin announced that Xiao Yao would be removed from the Gao Xin family registrar on the day of the full moon in mid-spring.

仲春之月望日,高辛王昭告天下,将高辛玖瑶的名字从高辛王族的族谱中除名,天下哗然。
On the 
full moon day in mid-spring, King Gao Xin announced to the world that Gao Xin Jiu Yao's name would be stricken from the Gao Xin Royal Clan register, causing an uproar throughout the realm.

— Vol 3 Ch 2 (Chapter 35)

Xiao Yao met Xiang Liu in the East Sea after she found out the truth of the Poisonous Lover’s Bugs from the Witch King on a night with a round moon .

微风习习,一轮明亮的圆月悬挂在天上,海面波光粼粼,十分静谧美丽。
A gentle breeze blew, 
a bright round moon hung in the sky, and the sea surface shimmered with gentle waves, creating a serene and beautiful scene.

— Vol 3 Ch 4 (Chapter 37)

Right before Xiao Yao said her vows to the moon, she looked out at the full moon in the sky on the night Jing chose for their wedding.

小夭走到窗前,看着天上的圆月
望日是
月满之日,璟选定这个日子成婚,应该想要他们的婚姻圆圆满满吧?可竟然是团圆月不照团圆人。
Xiao Yao walked to the window and looked at the 
full moon in the sky.
The "gazing day" is the day of the 
full moon. Jing's choice to get married on this day, should have been because he wanted their marriage to be perfect and fulfilling. However, it turned out that the reunion moon did not shine down on reunited people.

— Vol 3 Ch 9 (Chapter 42)

Xiang Liu saved Xiao Yao from an assassination attempt in the East Sea the night after the full moon when Xiao Yao said her vows to the moon. The night after that, on the seagull demon's ship, Xiao Yao tells Xiang Liu about the last time she saw Jing before he disappeared. If that story is true, then she last saw Jing on a full moon night.

太阳渐渐落下,月儿从海面升起,刚过满月之日不久,不仔细看,月亮依旧是圆的。

The sun gradually set, and the moon rose from the sea surface. It was just past the 
full moon, so if you didn’t look closely, the moon still appeared round.

小夭扑哧笑了出来,凝视着月亮,说道:“璟选了
满月之日成婚,我本来想问他为什么,但有些不好意思,想着成婚后有的是时间,就没有问。我们最后一次见面,是在三十二天前,孟夏之月的满月日。他下午来小月顶和我辞行,说是晚饭前走,可用过晚饭后依旧没走,一直到月亮攀上了山顶,我们依旧在山涧踏着月色散步。那一晚的月亮很美,我拉着他月下踏歌,他不会,我边唱歌边笑他笨拙。后来,他骑白鹤离去前,指着月亮,对我说‘下个满月之日后,不管月亮阴晴圆缺、人世悲欢离合,我和你长相守、不分离。’”
Xiao Yao burst out laughing, and said as she stared at the moon, "Jing chose to marry on the day of a 
full moon. I initially wanted to ask him the reason, but was little embarrassed to do so. I thought we would have plenty of time after the wedding, so I did not ask. The last time we saw each other was thirty-two days ago, on the day of a full moon during the first month of summer. He came to Xiao Yue Summit in the afternoon to bid me farewell, and said he would leave after dinner, but he still had not left even then. We strolled under the moonlight along the mountain stream as always until the moon had risen high over the peak of the mountain. The moon was very beautiful that night. I dragged him along to sing and dance under the moonlight but he did not know how to, so I sang while laughing at his clumsiness. Later, before he left on the white crane, he pointed to the moon and said to me, 'After the next full moon, regardless of the waxing or waning of the moon, the joys and sorrows, partings and gatherings in the world, you and I will be together forever, never to part.' "

— Vol 3 Ch 10 (Chapter 43)

After telling Xiang Liu about the last time she saw Jing, Xiao Yao said she couldn't believe that Jing is dead. She always felt that he may come back at the next full moon.

银色的月光哀伤地洒落,波光粼粼的大海温柔地一起一伏,小夭的手伸向月亮,微笑着说:“没有见到他的尸体,他在我的记忆里,永远都是倚着白鹤笑看着我,指着月亮对我说‘下个满月之日后,不管月亮阴晴圆缺、人世悲欢离合,我和你长相守、不分离’。我大概真的很愚蠢、很软弱,我没有办法相信他死了,总觉得也许下个满月之日,他就会回来。”
The silver moonlight sorrowfully fell, and the shimmering sea gently rose and fell. Xiao Yao extended her hand towards the moon and smiled, saying, "Without seeing his body, he remains in my memories, forever leaning against the white crane, smiling at me, pointing to the moon, and saying, 'After the next 
full moon, regardless of the moon's phases or the joys and sorrows of the world, we will stay together and never part.' Perhaps I am truly foolish and weak; I can't believe he's dead. I always feel that maybe at the next full moon, he will come back."

— Vol 3 Ch 10 (Chapter 43)

When Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan went to visit Feng Long at Jing’s old residence in Qing Shui Town, Xiao Yao started recalling the past, causing her heart to hurt. In this passage, “圆月” describes a moon-shaped archway.

小夭走进圆月形的拱门,看见各种鲜花缤纷绽放,一如当年。一瞬间,小夭几乎觉得,会有一位如金如锡、如圭如璧的清润君子从花丛中站起,含笑凝视着她。
Xiao Yao walked into the 
moon-shaped archway and saw all kinds of flowers blooming brightly, just like in the past. For a moment, Xiao Yao almost felt that a noble gentleman who was like gold, like tin, like jade, would stand up from the flowers and gaze at her with a smiling face.

— Vol 3 Ch 13 (Chapter 46)

Xiao Yao went to avenge Feng Long’s assassination at the gourd-shaped lake on a night with a round moon. Although she couldn’t bring herself to kill Xiang Liu, she told him she never wanted to see him again in this life. The following passage describes Xiang Liu after this encounter.

黑云遮蔽住了圆月,相柳的双眸内映出的是——没有一颗星辰的苍穹,无边的黑暗、无边的寂寥。
The dark clouds obscured the 
round moon, and what Xiang Liu's eyes reflected was a sky devoid of stars, boundless darkness, and boundless loneliness.

— Vol 3 Ch 13 (Chapter 46)

Xiao Yao poisoned herself and Cang Xuan on a night with a full moon night.

又是一个月圆之夜,小夭提着个白玉莲花盏,一边哼唱着那些古老的歌谣,一边沿着山径慢慢地走着,侍卫们看她是去凤凰林,也未阻拦,只是暗中跟着。
It was yet another night of the 
full moon, Xiao Yao carried a white jade lotus cup, humming old folk songs as she walked slowly along the mountain path. The guards, seeing her heading towards the Phoenix Forest, did not stop her but followed her discreetly.

— Vol 3 Ch 14 (Chapter 47)

Xiang Liu revived Xiao Yao on Jade Mountain on a full moon night.

一轮满月,悬挂在黛色的天空,清辉静静洒下,瑶池上水波荡漾,银光点点。相柳犹如一条鱼儿般无声无息地没入瑶池,波光乍开,人影已逝,只几圈涟漪缓缓荡开。
A full moon hung in the indigo sky, casting a quiet and clear radiance. The water in Jake Lake rippled gently, with scattered silver light. Xiang Liu, like a fish, silently submerged into Jade Lake, creating ripples as his figure faded away, leaving only a few slowly dissipating circles of ripples.

— Vol 3 Ch 15 (Chapter 48)

After Xiao Yao woke up, she agreed to become the next Royal Mother. Cang Xuan came to see her and tried to get her to reconsider her decision. However, Xiao Yao is resigned to her fate. After talking to Cang Xuan, two days after Xiang Liu revived her, Xiao Yao stares in a daze at the reflection of the round moon in Yao Pond.

晚上,瑶池畔。
小夭一身素净的白衣,头发松松绾起,双脚悬空,坐在水榭的栏杆上,呆呆望着碧波中倒映的
一轮月影。
At night, by the banks of Jade Lake.

Xiao Yao wore a simple white robe, her hair loosely tied up, her feet dangling in the air as she sat on the railing of the waterside pavilion, staring in a daze at the reflection of 
round moon in the aquamarine waves.

— Vol 3 Ch 16 (Chapter 49)

When Xiao Yao reunited with Jing on Jade Mountain, she told him how she thought he would come back every full moon.

小夭却号啕大哭起来,一边泪如雨落,一边捶打着璟:“我一直等你,一直在等你,我不相信你死了,每个月圆的日子都以为你会回来,可你总是失约。我等了太久,以为你不会再回来了……我以为你真的扔下我了……我恨你,恨你……”
Xiao Yao bursted into loud sobs, tears streaming down as she pounded on Jing, "I kept waiting for you, I kept waiting for you. I didn’t believe you died. Every 
full moon, I thought you would come back, but you always broke your promise. I waited too long, and thought you wouldn't come back... I thought you really abandoned me... I hate you, hate you..."

— Vol 3 Ch 16 (Chapter 49)

A few days after their wedding, Xiao Yao and Jing hear news of Xiang Liu's death. That night, Xiao Yao couldn't sleep and went outside. Looking at the round moon in the sky, Xiao Yao thought about Xiang Liu.

宫墙外,一轮,冷冷清清。
小夭想起了清水镇的月亮,相柳死时,天上的月亮可也是这样静静地照拂着他?他可有想起他们曾一起看过的月亮?
Outside the palace walls, 
a bright round moon hung in the sky, cold and desolate.
Xiao Yao thought of the moon in Qing Shui Town. When Xiang Liu died, was the moon in the sky also shining silently down on him like this? Did he think of the moon that they once looked at together?

— Vol 3 Ch 18 (Chapter 51)

In summary, the following events occurred or might have occurred on a night with a full moon:

• Xiang Liu caused Xiao Liu to fall from a tree on a night with a round moon.
  • Xiang Liu took Xiao Liu to see the moon rise from the surface of the ocean on a night with a round moon.
  • Xiao Yao refused to air kiss Xiang Liu and told him he wasn't suitable to walk into a girl's dreams on a full moon night.
  • Xiang Liu fed Xiao Yao his soul blood every full moon night during their 37 years at sea. 
  • Xiang Liu woke Xiao Yao up on a full moon night.
  • The owner recognition ceremony for Xiao Yao's bow happened on a full moon night.
  • Xiang Liu comforted Xiao Yao about her parentage and kissed her forehead on a full moon night.
  • King Gao Xin announced that Xiao Yao would be removed from the Gao Xin family registrar on a day of the full moon.
  • Xiao Yao met Xiang Liu in the East Sea after she found out the truth of the Poisonous Lover’s Bugs from the Witch King on a night with a round moon.
  • Xiao Yao said her vows to the moon on a full moon night.
  • If Xiao Yao’s story about the last time she saw Jing before he disappeared is true, then she saw Jing on a full moon night a month before their wedding date.
  • Xiao Yao shot Xiang Liu with an arrow and told him that she never wanted to see him again in this life on a night with a round moon.
  • Xiao Yao poisoned herself and Cang Xuan on a full moon night.
  • Xiang Liu revived Xiao Yao on Jade Mountain on a full moon night.
  • The first night after learning of Xiang Liu's death, Xiao Yao thought about Xiang Liu while looking at the round moon in the sky.

@solarlunareclipse

Thank you for your hard work in compiling full moon events. 

solarlunareclipse:
This post attempts to compile a list of events in 长相思 (Lost You Forever) that occurred during a full moon (the 15th day of the lunar month).

The actual full moon occurs either on the 15th day (for short month) or 16th day (for long month), and sometimes even the 17th of the lunar month. For simplicity, it is usually referred to as the 15th day.

solarlunareclipse:
"望月" and "月望" - "望" (wàng) means "day of the full moon." Events tied to these references occurred during a full moon.

The word 望 actually means "to gaze at", but within the terminology of the full moon itself, it means "full moon", not "day of the full moon".

Actually the terminology is this:

The 15th/16th day of the lunar month is  (literally "gazing day", meaning full moon day). 

The moon on the 15th day is called 望月, also called 满月 (literally, "full moon")

The book 古代汉语常识: Common Sense of Ancient Chinese explains it clearer thus:

The 15th of every month (sometimes 16th, occasionally 17th) is called 望. During this time, the earth is exactly in betwen the sun and the moon. As the sun and the moon rise and sets, one in the east, one in the west, gazing at each other from afar, thus it is called "望" (to gaze). 《释名:释天》** says this:  

望,月满之名也。月大十六日,小十五日,日在东,月在西,远相望
望,the name of the full moon. On the 16th day of the long month, 15th day of the short month, the sun is in the east, the moon is in the west, gazing at each other from afar.

cr. the book  古代汉语常识: Common Sense of Ancient Chinese by 王力

** 释名 is an exegetical monograph written by 刘熙 Liu Xi of the Eastern Han Dynasty

Do note my initial mistake of 望日 in earlier translations - its literal translation should be "gazing day", not "sun-gazing day".

blabla100:
Also I wanted to add that looking back, I belive the moon (either full, either crescent) is some sort of leitmotif (I am not sure if this word exist în english). I wasn't really paying much attention to the moon theme while I was reading, but now I think it is a reflection on her/their feelings

We've come full circle blabla100! This was back in September :-). It took a while, but finally got there.

HeadInTheClouds:
For XL's fans, any XL is better than no XL. TH is sitting on a money-making machine. All she has to do is write a few short stories featuring XL, and there will be an audience for it.

Exactly. Can someone please tell her all the money she is losing out on because she hasn't churned out those stories - heck, even another epilogue would be great. Better still, give us that LYF prequel with Xiang Liu!

HeadInTheClouds:
Who was it that said she would be watching Filter with the hope of getting some XL's Easter Eggs? ;-)

Hmm... I wonder who that could be. Sounds like my kind of person! 

HeadInTheClouds:
OK. So I'm reading through the first 200 pages of this thread (I didn't join in until later) and some of the comments!!!! Funny and sad at the same time. Oh dear! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I might just have to post some of y'all comments from way back when. Some posters have already fled this sinking ship/drama.

Wow. How long did you take to cover 200 pages! Would be interesting to see what was said back then - even those of us who are still here probably had different mindsets back then!

liddi:
Thank you for your hard work in compiling full moon events.

You're very welcome! Hope it helps anyone trying to do analysis based on the moon. 

Thanks for the corrections on the meaning of "望" and "望日". I applied the corrections to the original post. Please let me know if you catch anything else that needs correction.

H19279:

@AH,

with regard to the matter of FFB vs. XL,

you miss an important line in chapter 44 when Left Ear asked XY if one day he would be like XL (strong and shrewd). XY said she wished him to be more Bei but anyway they are the same 

My impression of that comment from XY was not that she thought that XL and FBB were the same (if she thought there was no difference, then why would she hope for Left Ear to be more like FFB than XL?), but rather that, whether Left Ear became more like XL or more like FFB, she would accompany him all the same / either way. 

Kanunu8 2013 Mandarin TextKoala's TranslationGoogle's Translation
小夭昏昏沉沉中,眼前浮现过相柳道:“迟早有一日,会变得很精明厉害,再不需要只是不甘心变化中,没有我的参与,所以趁着还能教导时,多啰嗦几句吧!”

左耳果然非常聪慧,立即说:“会变得像相柳?’’

小夭迷迷糊糊地说:“希望是不过……都一样了!反正不管什么样,都会陪走完一程……”

小夭昏死了过去。

Xiao Yao was starting to see things and before her flashed Xiang Liu and she murmured, “One day you will become very smart and powerful, and won’t need me anymore. I’m just upset that your transformation won’t have my involvement, which is why I’m going to teach you as much as I can now.”

Left Ear was indeed truly intuitive and asked, “I will become like Xiang Liu?”

Xiao Yao drowsily said, “I hope it’s more like Bei……but it’s all the same! No matter what you become, I will accompany you to walk the entire path…”

Xiao Yao passed out...
Xiao Yao was in a daze, [and] Xiang Liu appeared before her eyes, she said: "Sooner or later, you will become very shrewd and powerful, no longer needing me, am just not willing to accept your changes without my involvement, so while [I] can still teach you, [I'll] say a few more words!"

Left Ear was indeed very smart, [and] immediately said: "I will become like Xiang Liu?"

Xiao Yao, half asleep, said: "I hope it's Beibut... it's all the same! Anyway regardless of what you are likeI will accompany you throughout the journey..."

Xiao Yao passed out again.