@kokuto

"Or maybe she forgets about the bugs because they have no impact on her and her daily life."

They do have an impact on her daily life though, lots of times in the past she found confort in them. I agree that she mostly cared about the emotional tie and not the life and death connection, the question is why. 

"XL never did this"

Oh I know XL never did this, that's the thing, unlike XY, XL cared about their life and death connection, but I believe XY thought that he doesn't care to sacrifice her when it serves his purpose. 

"YES.  It also shows how she keeps treating XL as second or third rate.  It isn't till she can't have Jing, and she turns to Feng Long ... and then she turns to XL." 

I personally don't believe it's about Jing and Feng Long, but about CX. IMO she sticks to both Jing and  Feng Long mainly because of CX, the help CX got from them and the debts he owns them. Sending the crystal ball without canceling the marriage to Feng Long doesn't put XL as the second option, but as her first option, while keeping CX's interests on the second place as a backup plan, if that makes sense. I mean she obviously didn't want to marry Feng Long and she was at best willing to marry 17, but that's because she couldn't have XL, not the other way around IMO. 

If  I die,can you live?asked XY to XL?IMO XY should already know that they will die together.She already knew about the bugs.They are still alive bcoz they love each other .I really can't with XY!Just having successfully planted the bugs meant they have feelings for each other even they are not saying out loud and 100 years later,both are still alive and kicking!What more could she ask for?I just hoped she had the guts to go after who she loves even it meant she will lose him in end.I get frustrated with her but then I pity her then get frustrated again and again and then pity her again...sighhh....

solarlunareclipse:
Agree with this as the overt interpretation. That said, TH does often include hidden interpretations, so I think it's plausible that TH added a well-hidden glint of hope in what would otherwise be one of the saddest lines on the novel. Anyway the theory didn't come from me: it came from someone whose profile said they had a Master of Chinese Linguistics from Beijing Language and Culture University. Not sure if someone can make up fake credentials on https://www.zhihu.com/ , however, in my opinion, only someone extremely well-versed in the Chinese language could have come up with this. The main reason I find it very plausible is because we know TH's character names often contain hidden hints. I can't think of a better reason why Xin Chen would have this specific name.

Unfortunately, I still disagree with the original poster, regardless of their qualifications, because for me, it feels a little too forced, using the moon up in the sky (not even setting), obscured by the clouds as an indication of “It's always darkest before the dawn”, and in turn, heralding Xiang Liu's imminent reincarnation / resurrection. As for the blue shell used to store the blood pearl, it only states it was specially forged by the Jintian family, so it may not have necessarily been done by Xing Chen. She was certainly not the only forger in the Jintian family. What we do know is that the Jintian family is indebted to the Guifang clan, which is why the clan leader insisted that she forged the bow when Xiang Liu came, bearing the token of the Guifang clan leader. The only reason she accepted (after refusing it initially) was because it was an unusual request and challenge for her. 

On the other hand, I am more convinced that there is a hope of his reincarnation / resurrection through his ties with the Guifang clan, which we already know, are in possession of Soul Restoring Grass; and the fact that there is no mention of what became of his demon core. And who knows, perhaps his demon core was stored in a container specially forged by the Jintian family (possibly 星沉) before the final battle. 

So while I do think there might be a sliver of hope of this happening, I am not as convinced that hint is embedded in, to quote your words, one of the saddest lines (and scenes) in the novel.

solarlunareclipse:
I agree that helping CX was not XL's main objective, but the effect is that stealing the maps might have helped CX.

I agree that seeing Cang Xuan's state during the ransacking of his own manor would have reassured Yue Liang and co. that Cang Xuan is indeed of little threat to them. though I am not as certain that Xiang Liu chose to hide out there to help Cang Xuan go to the Central Plains. However, I think it would be difficult  for Xiang Liu not to know that Cang Xuan had been hanging out with his cousins, leading the life of a wastrel and drunkard. His cousins had suffered 60 lashes because of it, and he even caused a ruckus with General Ying Long in public. Though, is it obvious from his behaviour that he wants to be sent to the Central Plains? I am not sure.

solarlunareclipse:
Better for the Central Plains, but worse for the Shen Nong Remnant Army, who would lose support if the Central Plains were well-governed. If XL did have a hand in convincing Gui Fang to support CX here, I'm sure he realized this, but made the selfless decision to support CX anyway. XL's loyalty to the army was only to his comrades, not to the cause itself, which he thought was idiotic.

How can Xiang Liu claim to have loyalty to his comrades, and not to their cause, when they are giving their lives for that same cause. As such, I don't believe Xiang Liu would ever do anything to jeopardise the cause his comrades are fighting for, even if he thought it was a foolish, hopeless one.

The Shen Nong resistance army had been at war with Xuan Yuan for hundreds of years by the time the Guifang clan showed their support for Cang Xuan at his wedding. Xiang Liu knew way back even before Xiao Yao's Plum Forest assassination, that Cang Xuan could very well be the next Xuan Yuan king one day. He is a far-sighted man, and he knew that that one day, unless things turned out differently, they would all perish. If so, who did he arrange with to honour the remains of his comrades after they had all fallen, and allow them to return home? It was Cang Xuan. As such, at that point in time, having the Guifang clan throw their support behind Cang Xuan was yet another step in ensuring that his comrades could one day go to the home they long for, dead or alive. And now I am struck by this ridiculous ache in my heart as I am reminded yet of how Xiang Liu prepared everything for those he loved, and nothing for himself except a general's death.

solarlunareclipse:
The arguments you made for targeting CX are reasonable. There are reasonable arguments for targeting FL as well. I'll address them later in a separate post.

I look forward to reading them!

blabla100:
 I personally don't believe it's about Jing and Feng Long, but about CX. IMO she sticks to both Jing and  Feng Long mainly because of CX, the help CX got from them and the debts he owns them. Sending the crystal ball without canceling the marriage to Feng Long doesn't put XL as the second option, but as her first option, while keeping CX's interests on the second place as a backup plan, if that makes sense. I mean she obviously didn't want to marry Feng Long and she was at best willing to marry 17, but that's because she couldn't have XL, not the other way around IMO. 

Thank you for beautifully explaining this! Xiao Yao clearly revealed during the 4 questions that she was not willing to marry Feng Long (or Jing for that matter). The one she was willing to marry was Shi Qi, even though he was not the one she truly wanted to spend her lifetime with. As such, your explanation for why she maintained her engagement to Feng Long even though Cang Xuan was on the throne, and even when she sent the crystal globe, makes perfect sense. Xiang Liu was the one she wants to be with, for whom she would leave everything - her family, her position. However, if he would not take her away, then being married to Feng Long would serve to help strengthen Cang Xuan's position further. 

HeadInTheClouds:
What I always have a problem with was that she didn't end her engagement to Feng Long before sending out that crystal ball. Does it make sense for her character? Yes. But it also suggests to me that she is still playing it safe - leaving a net for her to fall back on. Perhaps. she thinks that if XL doesn't accept her confession then she might as well marry FL since there aren't any other options out there, but it doesn't fill one with confidence about her own confidence in her decision to send that crystal ball.  

I second @blabla100's opinion, which is so well explained here. She was hedging her bets, though not for herself, but for Cang Xuan. She was going out on a limb asking Xiang Liu to take her hand and allow her into his life, despite knowing full well how resolutely he had shut her out and shut her down. If he agreed, she would have willingly left her family and her position to be with him, no matter how temporary. However, if she broke the engagement before Xiang Liu gave an answer, she risked Feng Long and by extension, the Chishui clan's support for Cang Xuan. By maintaining the engagement, she hoped to ensure that if Xiang Liu still rejected her, her marriage with Feng Long would serve to further strengthen the Chishui clan (and Central Plains)'s support for Cang Xuan.

Unfortunately for her well-laid plans, Xiang Liu chose to destroy both any hope of her being with him, and her decision to be used as a political pawn via a marriage alliance with Feng Long. 

HeadInTheClouds:
The next thing is her reaction/attitude when he comes to stop the wedding. She wants him to come right? Just because he didn't do it the way that she wanted she automatically jumped to the worst conclusion. If he didn't use the promise to force her to leave, she was just going to go through her marriage to FL? Her reaction to his killing off FFB and the whole month in QS town.

I don't quite see it that way. She sent the crystal globe two months ago (which later he readily admitted that he received it soon after she sent it to him), giving him ample time to respond. Yet he deliberately chose not to respond, electing to show up at the worst possible time, on the day of the wedding, and have the whole world despise her as a woman who broke off her marriage at the altar. There was no apparent good reason for him to have done what he did, except that he wanted to humiliate her in the eyes of the world, and by extension potentially undermine the Chishui clan's support for Cang Xuan. In other words, that was his reply - I don't want you, but I don't want you to have a semblance of a good life henceforth either. So was the conclusion she jumped into unreasonable? I am more inclined to understand why she did. Her reaction to him during that one month in Qingshui Town also stemmed from his confirmation that he knew two months prior that she had been waiting for his reply, but chose to use his Fangfeng Bei identity - the very last possibility of him being able to openly be with her, even on a superficial level - to take her away and kill that identity off for good. His actions made it clear to her in the harshest way possible that he did not want her to be a part of his life, nor did he want to even entertain the possibility of being in her world through Fangfeng Bei.  

HeadInTheClouds:
Because she was never confident about his feelings for her, everything he does is a confirmation that he doesn't love her. She also tends to view things negatively and assumes the worst in people's intentions.

To be fair, he ensured that she never had a clear indication that he loved her. The closest she would get to know that he did love her was when she finds out the true nature of the Lover's bug from the Shaman King. Everything leading up to that time had a lot to do with her guessing, testing, even appealing, but never getting a confirmation. So you're right. They both need an intensive course in Communications 101.

HeadInTheClouds:
The reason why I tend to err on the other possibility is that XL works hard to help her to be strong and to fight for what she wants. He wants her to be able to make her decision and pursue the life that she wants; so if she was firm in her conviction of choosing him; ready and able to deal with the outcome, then I think he would have given in eventually. I think he fears that she wouldn't be able to deal with his death and he certainly doesn't want her to die along with him. And perhaps, once he's gone she would have been left with no-one as she would have effectively turned her back on her family if they had been together. 

That is an excellent point which didn't occur to me before - thank you! Knowing that he cannot be with her for her lifetime, if she had left her family for him, she would have no one when he died. Hence his concerted efforts to ensure that she had a companion who can be with her for life, with whom she need not be cut off from her family as well. 

Going all out to make her hate him was definitely his way of helping her cope by minimising her grief over his death. Did he really think it would have worked seeing the Lovers bugs never retaliated, even when their relationship was severed beyond repair the last time they spoke? Clearly it didn't...

liddi:
Thank you for beautifully explaining this! Xiao Yao clearly revealed during the 4 questions that she was not willing to marry Feng Long (or Jing for that matter).

I don't think that she progress with wedding with Feng Long because of CX. At the point that FL asked her to set the wedding, she got backed by 2 emperors and daughter of the third one. FL was super loyal to CX. FL could only realize his ambition with CX on the throne. Later (I don't remember which chapter, maybe chapter 40) there is explanation that with FL, it was simple to persuade with FL. He priotized power or benefit, CX did not want XY to marry FL. They just needed that tight to promote FL to clan leader thus Chi Sui clan could express the opinion clearly to support CX to get the throne. The engagement with XY also helped FL to become clan leader faster. Thus if XY wanted to decline or dissolve the engagement it was not difficult at all without any causing any harm to CX. At most CX could give FL a bit more power or land. The reason that XY still progressed with the plan is her bid for a long, stable life without gutwenching sadness althought she knew he would not place her first. But she knew they could grow old together as Yellow Emperor had advised her and It might be a step back but maybe not a bad choice. 

Xiao Yao felt that if her life was exactly as Feng Long offered then it was already such a good life. Chi Sui castle wasn’t very big and was beautiful and serene. Perhaps she can open a medical clinic in Chi Sui Castle, there might not be blissful happiness but there also won’t be gutwrenching sadness. The days would pass in mellow calmness. She wanted to say yes but the word was stuck in her mouth and she couldn’t bring herself to actually say it out loud so she nodded her head.

Feng Long asked “So you agree?”

Xiao Yao nodded again “Yup.”

Zhuan Xu said “You’re not going to consider anyone else?”

Xiao Yao laughed “To be honest you have plenty of talented men reporting to you and Feng Long is just one of them. But his personality is open and easygoing and he isn’t too into romance, plus he’s willing to accept all my quirks. When I agreed to get engaged to him years ago, you were the one who said there couldn’t be a better option than him.”

Zhuan Xu remained silent.

Xiao Yao “Gege!”

Zhuan Xu said “I don’t want you to get married!” His hand was cold and his fingers were shaking.

Xiao Yao patted his hand “I understand.”

(Chapter 31)

It would be very bad for CX if XY agree with the wedding but then plan running away with other guy. So, If she really take CX into account, she should have declined the plan for wedding for dissolved the engagement. 

The line gutwenching sadness also indicates either her feeling of current situation or her consideration of her life with XL. In the later, she would witness her most loved one fighting with each other, her betrayal to her family and CX and eventually her man would die on the battlefield. 

Moreover, I still incline that XY had enough knowledge about Lovers' bug from the book. She might not assure the bug implanted in XL and herself was the legendary lovers' bug. The visit to Baili is mainly to confirm the type of bug. Therefore she was likely aware that her fate connected to his ending. The life with XL then became definite one, not a temporary one. 

And the simple answer for her decision of running away from the wedding is her unwilliness to marry FL and she run after the man that she loved (thus she could do anything)

liddi:
Her reaction to him during that one month in Qingshui Town also stemmed from his confirmation that he knew two months prior that she had been waiting for his reply, but chose to use his Fangfeng Bei identity - the very last possibility of him being able to openly be with her, even on a superficial level - to take her away and kill that identity off for good. His actions made it clear to her in the harshest way possible that he did not want her to be a part of his life, nor did he want to even entertain the possibility of being in her world through Fangfeng Bei.  

I have wondered if XL could have used his XL identity to rob the wedding. Would she still follow him? She pledged for XL (not FFB) as sending the ice crystal ball. Unfortunately, XL could not approach the wedding site if he was in white outfit with white hair and ice crystal mask. He could not fight agaist all the deity masters who worked for Chi Sui clan as well as the guests since XIANG LIU was the enemy of the whole Xuan Yuan kingdom. 

Thus, if XL wanted to rob her on wedding day, he had to use FFB appearance. 

In my opinion, FFB identity must be killed in any case. If XY wanted to spend her life with XL, it must be the most authentic, true to the core of XL, the nine head demon  XL. XL would never accept living with her as FFB. Thus, she must be very committed to accept his "evil" side. He said "Since you dared to make a deal with the devil, you ought to have the courage to accept the consequences.” . He would not pamper her like Jing. He was a righteous guy who did not do stealing or taking girl at someone's back (haha, in fact, Jing stole his best friend's fiancee and paid someone to do it for him). XY just did not have enough courage to face all the consequences. For the whole month she behaved as if he was not there. Many people say that they are not scared of quarreling wife/girlfriends but emotionlessness, ignorance is more scarier. 

Why did Xiang Liu stop Xiao Yao from marrying Feng Long?

On the surface, Feng Long didn't seem like a bad match for Xiao Yao. From Feng Long’s perspective:

“我们家世匹配,只要你我愿意,双方的长辈都乐见其成,会给予我们最诚挚的祝福。你不管容貌性情,自然都是最好的,我也不差,至少和你站在一起,只会惹人欣羡,不会有人唏嘘一朵鲜花插在了牛粪上。”
"Our family backgrounds are well-matched, and as long as you and I are willing, our elders will be delighted and give us their most sincere blessings. In terms of appearance and temperament, you are naturally the best, and I am not lacking either. At the very least, standing together, we will only be envied, and no one will lament that a beautiful flower has been stuck in cow dung."

— Vol 2 Ch 11 (Chapter 28)

Feng Long respected Xiao Yao, promised to be good to her, was willing to cater to her wishes, and vowed to support her pursuits.

丰隆柔声说:“你若喜欢住在神农山,咱们求陛下赏我们一座山峰,反正修葺好的那些宫殿总是要住人的,便宜别人还不如便宜咱们。你若喜欢轵邑,赤水氏在轵邑有个大宅子,回头让人按照你的喜好翻新一下。你若觉得这两个地方闹腾,喜欢清静,可以去赤水。赤水城你去过吗?那里很多河、很多湖泊,有点像高辛,你肯定会喜欢。赤水的老宅子十分美丽,整个宅子在湖中心,夏日时,接天映日的荷花。”
Feng Long said gently, "If you like living on Shen Nong Mountain, we can ask His Majesty to grant us a mountain peak. After all, those renovated palaces need inhabitants, and it’s better for us to live there than someone else. If you prefer Zhi Yi, the Chi Shui family has a large mansion there. We can have it renovated to your liking. If you find both places too bustling and prefer tranquility, you can go to Chi Shui. Have you been to Chi Shui City? It has many rivers and lakes, somewhat resembling Gao Xin. You will surely love it. The old mansion in Chi Shui is very beautiful, situated in the center of a lake. In the summer, it is surrounded by lotus flowers that stretch out to meet the sky and reflect the sunlight."

丰隆看着小夭的神色,小心翼翼地说:“你喜欢学习医术,可以继续学习,将来即使你想行医,我也绝对支持。”
Feng Long looked at Xiao Yao’s expression and cautiously said, “If you like studying medicine, you can continue your studies. Even if you want to practice medicine in the future, I will absolutely support you.”

— Vol 2 Ch 14 (Chapter 31)

He also promised to honor Xiao Yao’s requirement of not having any other women in his life.

“你我认识几十年了,我是什么性子,你应该知道几分,我对女色真没多大兴趣,有时候在外面玩,只是碍于面子,并不是出于喜好。如果我娶了你,我不介意让所有酒肉朋友都知道我惧内,绝不敢在外面招惹女人。我发誓,只要你肯嫁给我,我一定一辈子就你一个,我不敢保证自己对你多温柔体贴照顾,但我一定尽我所能对你好。”
"We've known each other for decades. You should be somewhat familiar with my temperament. I'm not very interested in women; sometimes I play around with them just to save face, not out of genuine interest. If I marry you, I don't mind letting all my friends know that I'm afraid of you and would never dare to mess around with other women. I swear, as long as you agree to marry me, I will be faithful to you for the rest of my life. I can't guarantee I'll always be tender and considerate, but I will definitely do my best to be good to you."

Furthermore, Feng Long was unwaveringly loyal to Cang Xuan, Xiao Yao’s most important person.

“…你和我永远都在一条路上。你永远都站在玱玹一边,我会永远追随玱玹,就如象林和轩辕王,是最亲密的朋友,是最可靠的战友,也是最相互信任的君臣,我也会永远效忠玱玹,我和你之间永不会出现大的矛盾冲突。我知道女人都希望感情能纯粹一点,但有时候,你可以反过来想,这些不纯粹反而像是一条条看得见的绳索,把我们牢牢地捆绑在一起,难道不是比看不见、摸不着的感情更可靠吗?至少你知道,我永远离不开你!因为背叛你就是背叛玱玹!”
"...you and I will always be on the same path. You will always stand by Cang Xuan's side, and I will always follow Cang Xuan, just like Xiang Lin and the King of Xuan Yuan—who are the closest friends, the most reliable comrades-in-arms, and the most trusting monarch and minister. I will always be loyal to Cang Xuan, and there will never be major conflicts between us. I know women all hope for romance to be pure, but sometimes, you can think of it the other way around. These impurities are like visible ropes binding us tightly together. Isn't that more reliable than invisible, intangible feelings? At least you know I can never leave you! Because betraying you would be betraying Cang Xuan!"

Indeed, their aligned loyalties could have laid the groundwork for them to live harmoniously. For many, Feng Long certainly appeared to be a better option than the scheming, manipulative liar Jing, who was already married and had a child.

However, Xiao Yao did not truly want to marry Feng Long and sent a crystal globe to Xiang Liu, confessing her feelings to him and pleading for him to take her away. Xiang Liu granted her request in the most devastating way possible: by forcing her to run away with him on her wedding day, thereby destroying her reputation. The question is, did Xiang Liu decide to stop the wedding only because Xiao Yao didn’t want to marry Feng Long, or did he have additional concerns about the marriage?

To answer this question, let's consider A Nian’s perspective. We've previously established that A Nian is Xiang Liu’s shadow. Shadow characters are a technique employed in the "grass snake ash line" writing style, where a shadow character subtly hints at a main character's intentions and motivations or foreshadows future events that the main character will encounter. Since A Nian is Xiang Liu’s shadow, we can use A Nian’s perspective on the situation to better understand Xiang Liu’s perspective.

After Cang Xuan decided to take Xin Yue as his empress, A Nian warned Xiao Yao:

“女人的心眼很小,尤其馨悦这种,一生经营就是为了自己的地位,你的随意只会让馨悦觉得你没把她放在眼里,她会掩饰得很好,但她一定会心生恨怨,至于她会怎么对付你,我就想象不出来了。”
"Women can be very petty, especially someone like Xin Yue, who has spent her whole life working towards securing her status. Your casual attitude will make Xin Yue feel that you don't respect her. She will hide it well, but she will definitely harbor resentment and hatred. As for how she might deal with you, I can't even imagine."

— Vol 2 Ch 13 (Chapter 30)

Due to Xin Yue’s inevitable resentment towards her, A Nian warned Xiao Yao that it wasn’t advisable for her to continue staying at Shen Nong Mountain. She suggested that Xiao Yao return with her to Five Gods Mountain, but Xiao Yao hesitated because she always felt that her dad, Consort Jing An, and A Nian were one complete family unit, and she didn’t want to intrude.

阿念看小夭的样子应该是不想和她回五神山,说道:“你不喜欢住在五神山,神农山又不适合长住,那就只有一条出路了。”
A Nian saw that Xiao Yao wasn’t ready to go back to Five Gods Mountain with her, and said, "Since you don't like living on Five Gods Mountain, and Shen Nong Mountain isn't suitable for you to stay long-term, there's only one way out."

“什么?”
"What?"

“嫁人啊!嫁人是所有女人唯一的出路,当然,除非你打算到玉山去做王母。”阿念叹了口气,“不过,你嫁了人也麻烦,我看丰隆长年留在轵邑,说不定玱玹哥哥还会赏赐他住在神农山,丰隆交游广阔,又是赤水族的族长,做他的夫人也应该八面玲珑、长袖善舞,你却……有些呆笨,不会说话,连怎么打扮都不会。现在都有人在背后笑话你,将来还不知道你要闹出多少笑话,如果你再不讨王后的欢心,你以后的日子可怎么过……唉!”
"Get married! Marriage is the only way out for a woman, unless, of course, you plan to go to Jade Mountain and become the Royal Mother." A Nian sighed, "But even if you get married, there will be troubles. I see Feng Long staying in Zhi Yi for a long time, and Cang Xuan might reward him with a residence on Shen Nong Mountain. Feng Long is very sociable and is the Chi Shui clan leader. His wife should be versatile and socially adept, but you... you're somewhat socially awkward, don't know how to talk, and can't even dress properly. People are already laughing at you behind your back, and who knows how many more embarrassing situations you'll cause in the future. If you don't get on the good side of the Queen, what will your life be like down the road... Alas!"

小夭道:“你别再说了,我本来就够绝望了,你再说下去,我简直觉得活得失败透顶,前路没有一丝希望。”
Xiao Yao said, “Don’t say any more. I'm already feeling desperate enough. If you continue talking, I'll really feel like a complete failure with no hope for the future."

A Nian’s perspective on Xiao Yao’s situation provides insight into Xiang Liu’s reasons for stopping the marriage. Xiang Liu had spent time with Xin Yue and Feng Long as Fang Feng Bei and understood them well. He foresaw inevitable trouble brewing between Xin Yue and Xiao Yao, knew that Feng Long and Xiao Yao were not compatible, and predicted that Xiao Yao would likely not be happy in the marriage. Furthermore, the crystal globe that Xiao Yao sent him confirmed that she didn’t want to marry Feng Long.

Feng Long’s main reason for wanting to marry Xiao Yao was to advance his career. Xiao Yao initially agreed to marry Feng Long to help Cang Xuan and later upheld her promise because she felt her options were extremely limited after Cang Xuan took Xin Yue as his empress and then forced her to come back to Shen Nong Mountain from Five Gods Mountain. Like A Nian, Xiang Liu knew that Xiao Yao only agreed to the marriage because she was desperate. However, marrying Feng Long would mean that Xiao Yao would have to continue to cross paths with Xin Yue and would inevitably incur Xin Yue's wrath, putting Xiao Yao in a miserable and potentially dangerous situation.

Xiang Liu may have had many reasons for stopping Xiao Yao from marrying Feng Long, but first and foremost, he did it to give Xiao Yao a chance to live a happy, safe, and worry-free life on her own terms.

liddi:
How can Xiang Liu claim to have loyalty to his comrades, and not to their cause, when they are giving their lives for that same cause. As such, I don't believe Xiang Liu would ever do anything to jeopardise the cause his comrades are fighting for, even if he thought it was a foolish, hopeless one.

So I've seen some of your translations for the drama, and I agree that they made it seem like the Remnant Army had a greater cause besides relentlessly refusing to surrender. However, I don't think the novel explains it that way. Based on the following passage, it sounds like Xiang Liu believed that what Hong Jiang and the Remnant Army's cause was pathetic and that unification was better for the world.

“You have some sort of principles?”

“To Sheng Nong I do.”

“Laughable!”

“It is laughable, and even I think I’m pretty pathetic. If I didn’t have principles, then I would go talk to the Yellow Emperor and personally lead him to destroy Gao Xing.”

Xiao Liu was silent and looked up at the crescent moon like a biscuit with a bite taken out of it. After a long time, he asked “What is General Gong Gong like? To lead to a demon like you giving him your allegiance?”

“He’s an idiot!” Xiang Liu quieted down for awhile and then said “He is a pathetic idiot. He leads a bunch of idiots, doing something pathetic.”

Xiao Liu said “The most pathetic one is you! They are all willing to do it, they don’t think they are idiots. They think they are doing something they would be proud of to tell their family in the grave. To let their descendants be proud. They are happy to go down in a blaze of glory. But you – you mock it yet you do it.”

“Who let me have nine-heads? Of course it gets complicated and contradictory.”

-- Vol 1 Ch 7 (Chapter 7)

Certainly, CX was already treating the Central Plains fairly, so  even if the Remnant Army's greater cause was to look out for the welfare of the people of the Central Plains, they didn't need to continue fighting after CX took power. 

If XL only cared about maximizing the Remnant Army's chances of winning, he would have killed CX when he had a chance. Instead, XL repeatedly spared CX for XY. Similarly, if something is better for the Remnant Army, but worse for the world, I don't think XL would send the world into chaos just to buy the Remnant Army more time, especially since he was well aware that they had no chance of winning in the long run.

In the novel, the Remnant Army's cause seemed to just be to honor their ancestors and their fallen comrades and not give up fighting. XL saw it as his responsibility to make sure they died on the battlefield according to their wishes, instead of from illness or starvation. So I think it's possible that XL could be extremely loyal to his comrades and sacrifice his life for them, but still not believe in their cause, and also think twice about jeopardizing the greater good for their cause.

H19279:
Thus, if XL wanted to rob her on wedding day, he had to use FFB appearance.

In my opinion, FFB identity must be killed in any case. If XY wanted to spend her life with XL, it must be the most authentic, true to the core of XL, the nine head demon  XL. XL would never accept living with her as FFB. Thus, she must be very committed to accept his "evil" side. He said "Since you dared to make a deal with the devil, you ought to have the courage to accept the consequences.”

I believe she sent him the crystal globe because she did want to be with XL, not FFB. Certainly, the scene inside the globe was meant to appeal to XL. Her plan probably was to have XL take her away outside of Dragon Bone prison. Meanwhile, it would look to everyone else that she committed suicide by jumping into the ocean because she couldn't get over Jing. Eventually, her loved ones would come to terms with this tragedy and stop looking for her, allowing her spend the rest of her life with XL.

XL foiled this plan by publicly forcing her to leave with FFB and then killing off FFB. In this scenario, CX would certainly never stop looking for her, so there was no way for her escape. Also, at this point, she couldn't use the face forming flower to change her appearance. Unless she wanted to live in the army camp with XL, there would be no place she could go without getting captured.

All this is to say that XL didn't leave her any option to be with him. Her "firmly choosing" him wouldn't have made a difference at this point. Suppose XY did answer, "You XL, I want to spend the rest of my life with you," to his last question. What do you think XL would have been willing to do to grant her wish and undo the damage he had already done?

@H19279

"I don't think that she progress with wedding with Feng Long because of CX."

I personally don't see any reason why would she go further with the marriage other than CX, since she obviously didn't want to marry Feng Long, so IMO her mindset at the time was similar to her mindset from when she agreed to become the next Royal Mother, if she can't be with the one she loves - XL, than it will make no difference who she will end up with, so the best she could do is taking CX's interests into considerstion yet again and marry the one who's most loyal and helpful to CX in the long run. Maybe out of gratitude too, maybe in order to repay a debt that it wasn't even hers to repay off or maybe because she was in a state of depression that she couldn't even be bothered anymore, but definetely not because she genuinly wanted to, since she was never the one who wanted or asked for this or any marriage for that matter (even her marriage to Jing she ended up postponing for 43 years, until she couldn't anymore) .  Didn't she say that she would rather never marry and just take in some orphans than tying the knot with the wrong person? To me Feng Long was just another sacrifice that XY would have been willing to make for CX's sake, if being with the person she loves was not achievable. 

XY did and was willing to make so many sacrifices for CX and in the end the only "payment" she asked of him was for him to spare XL's life. 

blabla100:
Didn't she say that she would rather never marry and just take in some orphans than tying the knot with the wrong person? To me Feng Long was just another sacrifice that XY would have been willing to make for CX's sake, if being with the person she loves was not achievable. 

Her status now is princess, the most respected woman in Da Huang. She just could not do whatever as WXL. She just needed long term companion and Miao Fu could fill that role too. The core issue is her desire for someone to rely on because she already felt tired or she would feel tired one day. 

She dreamed of Jing, Xiao Yao had never seen his son,  but she didn't see his face in the dream. He laid in Jing's arms, called Daddy sweetly, and Jing was smiling gently back.

Xiao Yao ran and fled, in the blink of an eye, escaped from Qingqiu to Qingshui Town, Xiao Yao jumped into the river, paddled hard, she swam into the blue sea, boundless, free and happyHowever, she was really tired! In this busy world, where should she go? FFB appeared on the sea, he sat on the white seashell, looking at her with a smile, his black hair fluttered in the sea breeze, Xiao Yao swam towards him, but suddenly, his hair turned white little by little, he turned into Xiang Liu, looking at her indifferently, white shells, white Xiang Liu, like an iceberg floating on the sea.

Black-haired, white-haired, near and far...... Xiao Yao turned around abruptly and swam towards the landing, paddling while tears rained down......

Xiao Yao woke up from a dream, there was a cold wetness on the pillow, and when she touched her cheeks, she found that her face was really full of tears.

(Chapter 27)

XY was not willing to marry FL but she also found no reason of not doing so if anyway she would have to marry someone. Jing was out of consideration. She had two options: XL or someone else such as FL. And she told CX among all the men that she knew, none was better than FL. FL promised a stable life, respect to each other and her as the only woman in his life. As @solarlunareclipse made some points in her analysis about marrying FL, FL's offer was very attractive. 

As said in my previous post, CX did not want her to marry FL. At that point, he already married Xing Yue. He built strong bond with Chi Sui and Sheng nong families. He could help FL realize his career ambition. Indeed XY had agreed to marry to FL (in chapter 27 before CX became King) because of CX. However the situation in chapter 31 was different. 

Xuan Yuan king once told her that   “Actually you think too much. People need to pretend to be clueless sometimes. If you pick the right person, treat him well and it’s not hard to grow old together.” (Chapter 16). Deep down in her heart, she was not willing to marry FL but she did not express that explicitly. She still let fate to decide her future. She knew the pros and cons of married life with FL. She weighted a dull, peaceful  life without joy in her heart with her "heart wenchingg pain " ("也不会有撕心裂肺的伤痛") that she had been suffering.

The action to send the ice-crystal ball has double meaning as many people pointed it out. She not only sent farewell gift to XL but also to Jing by going to Qing Qui. 

solarlunareclipse:
However, marrying Feng Long would mean that Xiao Yao would have to cross paths with Xin Yue and would inevitably incur her wrath, putting her in a miserable and dangerous situation.

I don't think so. Xing Yue wanted to XY to get married as soon as possible. She even urged her brother to accelerate to wedding. She understood well the relationship between CX and FL. Thus if XY got married to FL, she would not be worried with the threat for queen consort role  by XY. CX would not try to take XY back. She even paid a visit to XY which she had not done so in the last 2 years

But Xing Yue still couldn’t feel relaxed so she went to see Feng Long and asked when her brother was going to marry Xiao Yao. Thank goodness her brother’s answer made her happy because he said he was just thinking the same thing.

Feng Long sighed “If I want to marry it ought to be now otherwise it’ll have to wait until the war is over and by then it’s not clear if Xiao Yao will marry me.”

Xing Yue asked “What do you mean?”

“You have to keep this secret.”

Xing Yue nodded “Gege you know you can trust me to keep silent.”

Feng Long said “Seeing Zhuan Xu’s moves recently, I think he’s planning to attack Gao Xing.”

Xing Yue’s eyes widened and Feng Long smiled “That’s why I told you to never underestimate Zhuan Xu. He is a very scary man!”

After her shock passed Xing Yue felt ecstatic, like she was already able to sneer at Xiao Yao’s upcoming fate.

When Feng Long told Xing Yue that Xiao Yao agreed to get married she asked “What did His majesty say?”

Feng Long replied “Both majesties gave their consent.”

Xing Yue finally felt relieved, she really did conjure up too much in her own night. That night it was just Zhuan Xu’s passionate sigh that she heard wrong.

Xing Yue went to Xiao Yue Summit to visit Xiao Yao with a feeling like she was above Xiao Yao’s fate in life, feeling happy and pitying her at the same time. Xiao Yao didn’t know why Xing Yue’s attitude was so odd this time but she felt Xing Yue was suddenly nicer to her because she was marrying Feng Long soon.

H19279:
Xing Yue wanted to XY to get married as soon as possible. She even urged her brother to accelerate to wedding. She understood well the relationship between CX and FL. Thus if XY got married to FL, she would not be worried with the threat for queen consort role  by XY. CX would not try to take XY back. She even paid a visit to XY which she had not done so in the last 2 years

Agree the Xin Yue was happy about XY marrying anyone, especially her brother because it helped her feel more secure about her relationship with CX.

However, I don't think that necessarily invalidates my previous statement:

"However, marrying Feng Long would mean that Xiao Yao would have to cross paths with Xin Yue and would inevitably incur her wrath, putting her in a miserable and dangerous situation." 

This goes back to what A Nian said about Xin Yue demanding respect, which XY would not give her. This would cause her resentment of XY to grow over time, and may cause her to act out. Marrying FL would mean that Xiao Yao and Xin Yue would likely have to cross paths a lot.

“女人的心眼很小,尤其馨悦这种,一生经营就是为了自己的地位,你的随意只会让馨悦觉得你没把她放在眼里,她会掩饰得很好,但她一定会心生恨怨,至于她会怎么对付你,我就想象不出来了。”
"Women can be very petty, especially someone like Xin Yue, who has spent her whole life working towards securing her status. Your casual attitude will make Xin Yue feel that you don't respect her. She will hide it well, but she will definitely harbor resentment and hatred. As for how she might deal with you, I can't even imagine."

Would Xin Yue go to the extreme of having Xiao Yao assassinated if Xiao Yao were married to her brother? Perhaps not, unless she still felt threatened by Xiao Yao. That said, their lives are long, and there's no guarantee that such a scenario wouldn't arise that made Xin Yue feel threatened in the future.

I imagine that FL would pretty much ignore Xiao Yao most of the time because he's a workaholic. CX would then continue to spend a lot of time with Xiao Yao, causing Xin Yue to become jealous and feel threatened. This might cause her to try to harm Xiao Yao.

So if Xiao Yao married FL and had to interact with Xin Yue fairly regularly, in the long term, at best, Xin Yue would make Xiao Yao's life miserable because she would resent Xiao Yao for not giving her proper respect. At worst, Xin Yue would start to feel insecure about her relationship with Cang Xuan again and decide to take action against Xiao Yao.

solarlunareclipse:
I imagine that FL would pretty much ignore Xiao Yao most of the time because he's a workaholic. CX would then continue to spend a lot of time with Xiao Yao, causing Xin Yue to become jealous and feel threatened. This might cause her to try to harm Xiao Yao.

XY imagined her life with FL in Chi Sui. And if FL spent a lot of time outside and ignored her, the chance that she lived in Chi Sui, opening a clinic was even higher. Thus, she still stayed away from CX. 

solarlunareclipse:
So if Xiao Yao married FL and had to interact with Xin Yue fairly regularly, in the long term, at best, Xin Yue would make Xiao Yao's life miserable because she would resent Xiao Yao for not giving her proper respect. At worst, Xin Yue would start to feel insecure about her relationship with Cang Xuan again and decide to take action against Xiao Yao.

Xing Yue did not care much about XY's attitude to her. What she was afraid most if CX would marry XY and promote XY as empress, kicking her out. Xing Yue loved her status of empress/queen consort more than CX himself. 

And about what Ah Nian said about XY's social skills might be applied to any clan leaders' wives (also in the case of marry to Jing). However, as FL said he would tell other that he was afraid of her. And she in general did not care what other said about her. 

Keep in mind that XL and XY had the bug which connected not only their lives but also their soul. The key factor that he did so is XY's lingering unwilling thought that showed by the ice-crystal globe as well as he could read her mind. He wanted her to have a free, happy, worried-free life. And if Xing Yue could feel pity for XY due to marrying with FL, XL could feel much clearer since he understood her more than anyone. He knew that FL was not the guy who wholeheartedly treated her well, making her life more interesting. In FL's view, XY was just a side piece in his life. 

Fang Feng Bei said “Finding a person isn’t hard, finding a person who shares the same interest, genuinely treats you well, and makes the journey more interesting, that is what is hard.” (Chapter 29)

H19279:
In FL's view, XY was just a side piece in his life.

Fang Feng Bei said “Finding a person isn’t hard, finding a person who shares the same interest, genuinely treats you well, and makes the journey more interesting, that is what is hard.” (Chapter 29)

FL is 1/3 here. He told XY that he would do his best to be good to her. She would have a lot of freedom to pursue her interests, including open her own clinic. When they had a child, she could then make the child the center of her life. The child would also have a secure status since FL wouldn't have any other women or children in his life.

Actually it wasn’t that bad, if she had a problem she could discuss it with him; most of the time she would have a lot of freedom to plant a herb garden in the residence and open her own medical clinic since Feng Long hated rules so wouldn’t mind if his wife was a healer; when Feng Long came home they would have dinner and if he was out then she would eat alone.

If they had a child then she would be busy since she vowed to make her child her most important person after being abandoned by her mom. She would do everything for that little one so that whenever the little thing thought of mom it would be the sweetest memory of how good of a mom she was.

As the child grew up she and Feng Long would grow older.

Xiao Yao smiled, it really was like what her grandfather said, to pick a suitable person to grow old with wasn’t all that hard.

-- Vol 2 Ch 11 (Chapter 28)

Jing is 0/3 here. Also, Jing already had a wife and child.

1. Shares the same interest - haha, don't make me laugh
  2. Genuinely treats you well - Let's compare Jing's treatment of FFYY vs his treatment of XY. He gets 0 points here as well.
    1. Treatment of FFYY:
      1. Worried about harming her reputation by breaking off their engagement.
      2. Trusted her unconditionally and never once attempted to stalk her as he did with Xiao Yao. Otherwise, he would have for sure known about her affair.
      3. Accompanied her everywhere and paid for everything when they were engaged.
      4. Sat on information of her infidelity for years while raising her son as his own.
      5. Pled for a less harsh punishment for her after being forced to expose her infidelity.
      6. Never divorced her and allowed her to keep her status as his wife even after her fake death.
      7. Made her son the sole heir to his property, business relations, and his wealth.
    2. Treatment of XY:
      1. Asked Xiao Yao to wait for him for fifteen years while he tested the waters with FFYY
      2. Was not concerned about her reputation at all. Made her his mistress, had an affair with her under FL's roof, and paid another guy to rob her wedding in front of everyone.
      3. Continuously stalked her, preventing her from getting too close with any other guys.
      4. Gave her an inferior fish amethyst. Gave her worthless green plum wine to remind her to keep her 15 year promise.
      5. Left her to die by not even attempting to get her out of the maze during the plum forest assassination, which would have been easy given his powers.
  3. Makes the journey more interesting - if by more interesting, XL meant having to compete for status with Jing's other wife/child, then yes. Otherwise, no.
 H19279:
And if Xing Yue could feel pity for XY due to marrying with FL, XL could feel much clearer since he understood her more than anyone. He knew that FL was not the guy who wholeheartedly treated her well, making her life more interesting.

Xin Yue pitied Xiao Yao because Cang Xuan was planning to attack Gao Xin. It had nothing to do with her thinking FL would not treat XY well. The fact that FL wouldn't make her life more interesting was a moot point since Jing couldn't do that either.

H19279:
After her shock passed Xing Yue felt ecstatic, like she was already able to sneer at Xiao Yao’s upcoming fate.

This goes to show Xin Yue's vindictiveness. Even if XY were married to Feng Long, Xin Yue wouldn't make her life easy, especially if she felt XY wasn't giving her proper respect.

H19279:
XY imagined her life with FL in Chi Sui. And if FL spent a lot of time outside and ignored her, the chance that she lived in Chi Sui, opening a clinic was even higher. Thus, she still stayed away from CX.

I don't think it would be that easy for XY to avoid CX or Xin Yue if she married FL. Even if XY lived in Chi Shui, CX and Xin Yue could visit her in Chi Shui. Also, CX has a lot of influence over FL and could have FL convince XY to return to Shen Nong, just like he forced XY to return to Shen Nong from Gao Xin earlier. Even if CX and XY never saw each other, if CX slipped up again, like he did the first time he slept with Xin Yue, that could trigger Xing Yue to try to harm XY, even if XY were married to FL. After all, XY could always divorce FL and marry CX.