Hello, can anyone suggest a good  chinese novel -english translation similar to LYF. I am new to chinese novels so, can't pick by myself.

My kind of dream ending after ep 18:

XY was very angry at CX for killing Jing, she refused to talk to him and even wanted to kill him and kill herself. CX was devastated at how things turned out as he thought XY would eventually forget Jing as time goes by. He regretted his actions. Then, he received a letter from Jing who wrote it before he died, and entrusted it to his lady attendant to give to CX in the event he is no longer around. In the letter Jing wrote that XY and XL are connected by the love bug and XY will likely die if XL dies. Jing begged CX to keep XL alive as there is no known method to sever the love bugs connection between them. CX remembers the time when the love bug was in him and realized now that what he thought was removed from him was actually transferred to XL. Feeling remorse for having broken XY's heart by killing Jing whom he thought XY loved, he couldn't bear to now kill XY by going into war with XL, killing XL and XY thus. CX arranged to personally go talk to Hong Jiang for a peace treaty. Because the Black Emperor personally went, he managed to successfully negotiate with Hong Jiang for peace. Hong Jiang and his army will be able to keep their own corner of the land, free from CX's influence. Both sides will live in peace and can roam freely. The corner will forever remain Hong Jiang's until he or his descendants decide to give up to CX/ Xiyan. With peace in the land, XL no longer need to serve Hong Jiang's army as a general. HJ tells XL to go do what he wants to do and he no longer owes him anything. XL pays his last respect to Hong Jiang and takes off to XY who was in depression at losing Jing and XL knows because of the love bugs connecting them. He appears like a white apparition to XY, embraced her and tells her, 'Let's go. We can go to the deep sea, look at the fishes, the mermaid, or go to the north where it's all full of snow and watch the moon there.' XY was surprised at XL's appearance and gentle demeanor to embrace her and saying such sweet words to bring her away. She thought she was in a dream. She couldn't believe it. So she asked, 'Didnt you owe your debt to Hong Jiang? He is willing to let u go? Or u have left him? What about the war when CX/ Xiyan attacks the HJ's army later?'. XL chuckled, saying, 'There is no more war. HJ and CX already negotiated peace. I am all yours now. Shall we go?'. XY was so happy to hear the news she forgotten all about Jing's death and embraced XL tightly saying, 'Yes! Let's go now! Bring me away now!'. They packed quickly, actually she doesn't have much that she needs or treasured.. just her xing xing mirror and some clothes. They went to pay their last respects to grandpa and Haoling father. Grandpa tells them to leave asap before CX hears of it. He will tell CX himself. Then fluffy flew down and picked them both off. When CX came by later that night, grandpa told him XY has left with XL and he is not to go looking for them. After the debacle with Jing, he owes it to XY to let her do what she wants in peace. CX was sad, but he knows that Grandpa was right. It is better that XY is happy and alive, somewhere in this world, even if not beside him. After that, he goes to their phoenix flower garden often to remember XY and make a wish that she is healthy and happy with XL, even though he never hear any news from her anymore. 

-end of story-

Janex:

Hello, can anyone suggest a good  chinese novel -english translation similar to LYF. I am new to chinese novels so, can't pick by myself.

I haven't read any either, but if you liked LYF, the author, Tong Hua has written other historical romances.  Scarlet Heart (Bu Bu Jing Xin) was her first and was very popular -- they made two drama versions of it.  Koala has a couple of her other books translated.  Scroll down to the bottom under "Chinese Novels."

https://koalasplayground.com/recapped-dramas/

The one most folks here want is Once Promised, the prequel to LYF.  Unfortunately, there's not an English translation.

blabla100:

Yang Zi is really one of the best actresses out there. I personally do enjoy this OTT type of reactions, but in this case I couldn' t emphatize with her, because I felt it was a bit too much for this early stage. I would have  understood her reaction if it happened after losing everything, not only jing, but after XL cut ties with her and after she found out about CX's betrayal too, but after losing just the first out of the 3 men in her life, her madness just didn't feel legitimate enough. I blame the script yet again. 

Yes, it did seem overdone if you consider the reason -- i.e. Jing.  But I'm biased. lol   And Yang Zi's acting dragged me in, without really thinking about it, except when she insisted on marrying dead Jing.  ugh.

Blackberrypie_09:
XY was so happy to hear the news she forgotten all about Jing's death and embraced XL tightly saying, 'Yes! Let's go now! Bring me away now!'.

The best part. 

It's great how much fan fic people have come up with to rewrite Tong Hua's ending. :)  Thank you for sharing.  Oh, you should post it in the Fan Fic thread!

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/124319-fan-fiction-thread-for-lost-you-forever?page=30

liddi:
Yu Xiang is instigated by Yan Zhuan to personally lead Shen Nong army against Yellow Emperor, and is killed by Qing Yang at Ban Quan, who in turn is killed by Chi Chen

The fact that Yun Sang had to agree to marry "Qing Yang", her brother's killer, after this is truly insane...

Did Ah Heng ever tell Yun Sang that Qing Yang was already dead before her marriage?

liddi:
Xuan Yuan continues to suffer defeat. Yellow Emperor convinces A Heng to lead the Xuan Yuan army against Chi Chen in his stead for the sake of their people
Chi Chen marches westwards to Dun Wu Mountain, the last stronghold of Xuan Yuan.

I didn't realize they came so close to winning the war. 

What do you think would have happened if Chi Chen had succeeded?

liddi:
The following is a summarised breakdown of sequence of events leading up to the final battle:

Thank you for taking the time to put this together liddi. Super helpful!

liddi:
When Yan Zhuan set up the fire formation at Xun Mountain, none of his men knew that they would face impending death. When they realised it, those who were afraid and wanted to run away were beheaded by him, and he gave the rest an impossible ultimatum - either die a glorious death in battle, or be killed as a deserter by him.

Yikes. Sticking to your own principles even unto death is one thing. Forcing your subordinates to die with you against their will for the sake of your principles is something wholly different. The kind of evil that comes from unbridled dogmatism run amok, with no room left for reason or compassion. 

liddi:
Qing Yang will not have only one consort.

Was there a reason that Qing Yang remained unmarried for so long? Wasn't he over a thousand years old? Was it simply because the marriage of an eldest prince was of such strategic importance that he had to wait for the perfect candidate (which I imagine was difficult in the midst of so much war...)? Or did it have something to do with the wood demon woman by his side?

liddi:
he would be instrumental in recommending Little Yan Zhuan to be the next city lord of Zhi Yi when Cang Xuan asked for potential candidates to replace Xuan Ting (Yu Jiang's older brother).

I remember that the Yellow Emperor ordered CX to deal with Yu Jiang's older brother, but if the Yellow Emperor entrusting CX to choose the person who would become the next lord of Zhi Yi / governor of the Middle Plains was covered in LYF I've forgotten about it. I'm kind of surprised that the Yellow Emperor would have entrusted CX with such an important decision all the way back then. 

liddi:
She was in love with Chi Chen

Ah yes I vaguely remember it made Ah Heng feel a bit jealous. 

liddi:
when Chi Chen was due to face the Yellow Emperor at Ban Quan, fearing that he would die, she begged Chi Chen to sleep with her just once, promising that if he won and returned, she would pretend nothing ever happened, but if he lost, she would always remember that night with no regrets.

liddi:
The novel does not mention her after this scene, so we do not know what became of her when everyone died

More mystery!

Kokuto:
AH is going to hate it for being so over the top.  ;p

I did not enjoy it. But, based on all the comments, I was prepared for worse. 

I'm also at a point now where I'm sort of past caring... Took me ages to watch the last two episodes. There was a lot of pausing out of disinterest... punctuated with unhappiness every time another change for the worse presented itself. 

Surprisingly, one of my biggest disappointments wasn't about a change from the novel. It was over the way they significantly changed Hong Jiang's tree metaphor scene from the leaked script. For me that was probably the very best change in the entire leaked script, and yet they messed that up too. 

AH :

I'm also at a point now where I'm sort of past caring... Took me ages to watch the last two episodes. There was a lot of pausing out of disinterest... punctuated with unhappiness every time another change for the worse presented itself. 

Surprisingly, one of my biggest disappointments wasn't about a change from the novel. It was over the way they significantly changed Hong Jiang's tree metaphor scene from the leaked script. For me that was probably the very best change in the entire leaked script, and yet they messed that up too. 

I was baffled at the longgggg wedding scene. Kudos to YZ’s acting, I’m sure that gave her a massive migraine. But did we really need to spend that much time on the wedding because - THERE WAS SO MUCH MORE PERTINENT THINGS TO COVER - but they chose not to.

AH :

LOL!  Love this pic for you.  hahahaha

I have to agree.  I kept waiting for the rest of the metaphor and maybe some dawning recognition on Chenrong Yi's face.  Maybe the actor is to blame for that, but still... 

Also, the idea that Hong Jiang is wavering and XL has to set him straight... WTF?!

Kokuto:
Also, the idea that Hong Jiang is wavering and XL has to set him straight... WTF?!

THIS ^

AH :

THIS ^

How is it that we know these characters better than the production team?  Even the ones that never appeared in the book!  lol

It should have been framed as Hong Jiang giving XL one more chance to leave, NOT Hong Jiang wondering if they should surrender.  smh

Kokuto:

How is it that we know these characters better than the production team?  Even the ones that never appeared in the book!  lol

It should have been framed as Hong Jiang giving XL one more chance to leave, NOT Hong Jiang wondering if they should surrender.  smh

That made no sense to me LOOOOOOL 

Kokuto:

I haven't read any either, but if you liked LYF, the author, Tong Hua has written other historical romances.  Scarlet Heart (Bu Bu Jing Xin) was her first and was very popular -- they made two drama versions of it.  Koala has a couple of her other books translated.  Scroll down to the bottom under "Chinese Novels."

https://koalasplayground.com/recapped-dramas/

The one most folks here want is Once Promised, the prequel to LYF.  Unfortunately, there's not an English translation.

Thanks. Will give it a try!

Sssnoopyyy:

I was baffled at the longgggg wedding scene. Kudos to YZ’s acting, I’m sure that gave her a massive migraine. But did we really need to spend that much time on the wedding because - THERE WAS SO MUCH MORE PERTINENT THINGS TO COVER - but they chose not to.

Definitely some of the scene choices and editing were baffling.