https://www.instagram.com/reel/C189MoPPyEe/?igsh=d2F0eWxndDlvY2Rk

nathsketch:

The slow walk, then the mascot cuteness lolololol

:0)

nathsketch:

Nah, I hate him. Loathe him. He’s not even real but I despise his entire fictional existence. 

The only official thing he is is that he is officially the most hated character in nathsketch’s life. Yes, I’m using third person because I want to distance myself from that sad sack of nothingness.

Yo, Jing, vai ver se eu tô na esquina. 

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Heh.

Every once in a while I feel sorry for Jing.  Then I see him in a clip hanging around XL and XY, and my head explodes. ;p

@atmosphere

quote from @HeadInTheClouds

I'm curious to know what are the metrics used to measure if someone has broken through or not.

Me too. Pls enlighten us with your knowledge of the working of cnet. And I would say the breaking out here means as liuliang right because that kind of acting that DW shown us in LYF doesn‘t merit him an acting award surely.  From my understanding TJC gained a LOT of weibo followers from LYF (his weibo fllowers was under 10 mil but broke the 15 mil mark after LYF if I‘m not mistaken ?). So compared to that how many followers did DW gained through LYF to say that he is also a breaking out actor? Or is there other indicator used to judge if an actor has broke out ? Like how often they show up in weibo hot search

I read an article (from 2021/2022) about what make an actor/actress liuliang and it said that it is not only depending on how many weibo followers an actor has but also on how active (or may I say crazy LOL) their fans are. Like the article put TJC on the rising stars/niche stars category because although his weibo followers not yet that many, but they are really active and commited,  so news about him will get them talking and appears on that weibo hot search/super topic thing or the fans organize crazy stunt to show their support like plastering street with his stand up posters (that really made my jaw drop). Glad TJC receives so much love there though. Other categories are top liuliang like Diliraba or XZ, who has tons of fans who are also very very devoted and established celebs who through their long career have many (2 digit millions) followers and respect in the industry and public but don’t generate much fans activities anymore. 

Kokuto:
 I still think Weibo Night King is a Diamond pipe dream for Deng Wei.

My bet is on Zhu Yilong, he's had two popular movies back to back -- Lost In the Stars and Only the River Flows.

Kokuto:
Oh, so now DW's character in Legend of Rosy Clouds is going to be an anti-hero, instead of a villain?

I think his character was never really supposed to be a villain considering he's positioned as a love interest for the FL, in idol dramas villains are usually side characters played by older unattractive actors not a young liuliang whose star status is very on the rise. Tian Jiarui is getting some buzz for the show but it's minimal compared to the attention and anticipation Deng Wei's leaked set photos and role is getting.

Kokuto:
Yes, according to Koala, there's a strong rumor that DW is going to be in Kill My Sins, but Yu Shuxin has been replaced by Liu Shi Shi.

It would be better for Deng Wei if it's Yu Shuxin, she's not as good of an actor as Liu Shishi so he his acting will seem less lacking and amateur in comparison, also he tends to have better chemistry with FLs who are closer to his age, not jie jies who have a big acting status and reputation that precedes them, imo he comes across onscreen as ill-at-ease, dry, and slightly intimidated by those kinds of female actors. Hoping he has decent chemistry with Li Yitong, I think playing a bad boy love interest to her character might help with that.

HeadInTheClouds:
I don't follow DW's work, but was LYF his breakout? His last drama was TTEoTM, and he didn't get much hype from that. Was he pegged to be the next big thing and that's why his name is in the running for Weibo's King? 'Cause if it's just based on LYF, then it seems really odd. From the two dramas that I've seen him in, I don't really rate his acting or presence/charisma.

I guess LYF is considered by Chinese viewers as his breakout role since it's his most prominent one so far. His acting is really beside the point, so I actually don't know why I talk about his or any idol's acting -- in the eyes of most Chinese and the general public, 99% of idols aren't real actors, they're models going through the motions, most of them can't even dub themselves (although that's mostly to save money and for a quicker post-prod turnaround). His actual breakout is his face and how his visuals are exactly what Chinese idol drama viewers want and like and fits the highest standards for a liuliang's appearance, also his styling and fashion, he's seen as an emerging fashion icon (although personally I don't get it, I think he dresses like a lot of rich young Gen Z guys living in Bei-Shang-Guang-Shen, nothing special other than the fits are better because his face and figure is like a model).

HeadInTheClouds:
There is always someone who's on the verge of breaking through, but never quite manages to.

This is Zhang Linghe to a T, according to cnetizens. So many high profile dramas this past year, but still outshone by supporting players and still on the verge of breaking through like he has been for a few years now. SoKP was a solid step in the breaking out direction in the sense that at least he was playing a more interesting character than he usually does, but the rest of the show was kind of a mess with ludicrous directing and cinematography.

I'm looking forward to Weibo Night mostly to see the assigned seating arrangement (industry power players are usually seated front and center, where your favorites are seated is clear indicator of their current status in the industry) and the multiple outfit changes (looking forward to seeing what TJC will wear).

@atmospheres

Wow DW the next XZ crown title I guess his fandom are really that powerful blind ?? hahaha not bad good for him hope he’s going to live up to their expectations to prove them right anyway im not even an hardcore XZ fan but I think this is a low blow for him to say idk maybe he gonna reach him someday in acting terms also dreams comes true eventually they say but bro I bet honestly on many years to happen and I will probably not be here to see this because I’m not a patient enough person tbh

atmospheres:
My bet is on Zhu Yilong, he's had two popular movies back to back -- Lost In the Stars and Only the River Flows.

Hmmm.  He was just announced as an attending.  But is he popular on Weibo?  If they aren't going to let the XZ participating, I wonder if they would give it to Yang Wibo?

atmospheres:
I think his character was never really supposed to be a villain considering he's positioned as a love interest for the FL, in idol dramas villains are usually side characters played by older unattractive actors not a young liuliang whose star status is very on the rise. Tian Jiarui is getting some buzz for the show but it's minimal compared to the attention and anticipation Deng Wei's leaked set photos and role is getting.

When I first heard about it a while ago, he was definitely called the villain, and the character is one in the manga.  And he's certainly wearing enough eyeliner to qualify.  But that doesn't mean the drama didn't change things, of course.  But yes, the Diamonds are definitely enthusiastic and loud.  If I don't follow the actor or the show specifically, sometimes it is hard for me to tell what is getting the buzz, so I'll take your word for it.

atmospheres:
It would be better for Deng Wei if it's Yu Shuxin, she's not as good of an actor as Liu Shishi so he his acting will seem less lacking and amateur in comparison, also he tends to have better chemistry with FLs who are closer to his age, not jie jies who have a big acting status and reputation that precedes them, imo he comes across onscreen as ill-at-ease, dry, and slightly intimidated by those kinds of female actors. Hoping he has decent chemistry with Li Yitong, I think playing a bad boy love interest to her character might help with that.

I guess it depends on the character Li Yitong is playing.  Her character in Court Lady was so stiff and puritanical that she didn't have chemistry with any of the three male leads, including Tan Jian Ci!  Though they did have the most interesting and prickly relationship, IMO.

But yes, I think it would better for Deng Wei if it was Yu Shuxin, especially with the age difference.  Though, it is supposed to be a female centric drama, so it might work out for him, regardless.

atmospheres:
I guess LYF is considered by Chinese viewers as his breakout role since it's his most prominent one so far. His acting is really beside the point, so I actually don't know why I talk about his or any idol's acting -- in the eyes of most Chinese and the general public, 99% of idols aren't real actors, they're models going through the motions, most of them can't even dub themselves (although that's mostly to save money and for a quicker post-prod turnaround). His actual breakout is his face and how his visuals are exactly what Chinese idol drama viewers want and like and fits the highest standards for a liuliang's appearance, also his styling and fashion, he's seen as an emerging fashion icon (although personally I don't get it, I think he dresses like a lot of rich young Gen Z guys living in Bei-Shang-Guang-Shen, nothing special other than the fits are better because his face and figure is like a model).

I think LYF is definitely considered a breakout role for DW, and the other 2 MLs got a big push from it, since their breakout roles were Under the Skin and The Bond.  That said, he does seem to have a big liulang fandom, but oddly, not the endorsements you'd think he'd get with that.  Tan Jian Ci, OTOH, has been rolling in endorsements since LYF.  Now, there's a wide variety amongst the endorsements, including beauty and luxury, but he did pick up the Michael Kors as far as fashion, and there's been talk of maybe something from Prada.  Whereas DW has picked up Dior, as far as fashion goes, I believe.

atmospheres:
This is Zhang Linghe to a T, according to cnetizens. So many high profile dramas this past year, but still outshone by supporting players and still on the verge of breaking through like he has been for a few years now. SoKP was a solid step in the breaking out direction in the sense that at least he was playing a more interesting character than he usually does, but the rest of the show was kind of a mess with ludicrous directing and cinematography.

I am kind of puzzled why ZLH doesn't have a bigger fandom / weibo presence given all those high profile dramas.

atmospheres:
I'm looking forward to Weibo Night mostly to see the assigned seating arrangement (industry power players are usually seated front and center, where your faves are seated is clear indicator of their current status in the industry) and the multiple outfit changes (looking forward to seeing what TJC will wear).

Oh, something to look forward to.  Glad to know about the seating.  Especially if they are going to try to seat the LYF folks together.  But yes!  Going to be great to see what he wears.

luv2bafangurl:
I'm curious to know what are the metrics used to measure if someone has broken through or not.

Me too. Pls enlighten us with your knowledge of the working of cnet. And I would say the breaking out here means as liuliang right because that kind of acting that DW shown us in LYF doesn‘t merit him an acting award surely.  

It's a combination of a lot of factors, given the rest of your post, it seems like you know pretty well what can make someone a breakout star and a top liuliang -- not just number of followers on Chinese social media platforms like weibo and xhs and number of views and appearances on douyin, but also the type of projects you're offered and the status of the role and the billing, how powerful your fandom is and how hard they work to push you/their level of engagement on your behalf, how many endorsements you get/from what brands/and what status (just China/Asia exclusive or worldwide? brand ambassador or spokesperson appearing in international ads for the brand?), etc. Hot searches can be bought but they still show up to all users so if it happens enough, your name sticks in people's heads even though they don't actually know anything about you except that you have some buzz around you or people dedicated enough to buy hot searches about you.

An example about Deng Wei's fandom in particular that has stuck in my head was when he was filming Legend of Rosy Clouds, there was video of his co-stars filming with their phones his fans camped out on this very steep and high mountainside across the way from where the cast was filming at that time. I don't think he was even on set at that time but his fans were crouched on the side of this mountain that was very rocky and covered in shrubbery and trees, and his co-stars were literally dumbstruck taking pics and videos on their personal phones of his fans because they were shocked all these people were risking life and limb just waiting out there for Deng Wei to appear. It was honestly quite scary, I think his co-stars were both awed and disturbed that these people were out there risking falling to their deaths just in the hopes of catching some pics or clips of their idol.

Badgal1995:

@atmospheres

Wow DW the next XZ crown title I guess his fandom are really that powerful blind ?? hahaha not bad good for him hope he’s going to live up to their expectations anyway im not even an hardcore XZ fan but I think this is a low blow for him to say idk maybe he gonna reach him someday in acting terms also dreams comes true eventually they say but bro I bet honestly on many years to happen and I will probably not be here to see this because I’m not a patient enough person tbh

It just sets up for a fan war, IMO, and in that kind of battle, my money is on the XZ Army.

Kokuto:

It just sets up for a fan war, IMO, and in that kind of battle, my money is on the XZ Army.

Oh yeah sameee that army is something else they’re in control no joke about their devotions. A publicity stunt or  such a very bad idea to started an fan war so early on when you know the opponent.

atmospheres:
and his co-stars were literally dumbstruck taking pics and videos on their personal phones of his fans because they were shocked all these people were risking life and limb just waiting out there for Deng Wei to appear.

That's pretty amazing, especially given at what lengths some paparazzi and fans go to get those behind the scenes clips and what those actors have seen.

atmospheres:
Hot searches can be bought

This is partially why I'm dubious about these popularity reports and awards.  That, and like I said, the shenanigans I saw with that one Weibo vote.  Some of this just being outright bought.

Badgal1995:

Oh yeah sameee that army is something else they’re in control no joke about their devotions. A publicity stunt such a very bad idea to started an fan war so early on when you know the opponent.

Seriously.  One should always dream big, but acting bigger than you are is never a good look or idea. ;p

@atmospheres 

Before I forget.  Was Tan Jian Ci's fandom ever called Barley?  Frost Edelweiss did a write up about him and found that info somewhere.  And if so, why?

Kokuto:
Hmmm.  He was just announced as an attending.  But is he popular on Weibo?  If they aren't going to let the XZ participating, I wonder if they would give it to Yang Wibo?

I think a lot of cnetizens, myself included, think it might be Zhu Yilong because he is attending and last year's Weibo Night King and Queen weren't chosen based on voting (otherwise Xiao Zhan and Yang Zi would've won for the third year in a row) but on reputation and decided by Weibo Night organizers to be Hu Ge and Liu Yifei. If that's to continue this year with the awards not following the popular vote, then the names being thrown around the most are Zhu Yilong and Zhang Xiaofei.

Kokuto:
Whereas DW has picked up Dior, as far as fashion goes, I believe.

I think Deng Wei is considered an emerging fashion icon and fashionable celebrity because of his personal street style is highlighted a lot on Chinese social media (also he first came to attention as a social media star based on his style and looks) and he's done a lot of covers and photoshoots for fashion magazines that were considered artsy/avant garde/or high fashion. Also, small point, but he did a GQ 'What's in my bag?' video which is a well-known line of video content that GQ does with international stars both established and up and coming. Personally, I really enjoy that particular line of content GQ has and would like to see more Chinese celebrities, including TJC, filming it with GQ.

atmospheres:
I think a lot of cnetizens, myself included, think it might be Zhu Yilong because he is attending and last year's Weibo Night King and Queen weren't chosen based on voting (otherwise Xiao Zhan and Yang Zi would've won for the third year in a row) but on reputation and decided by Weibo Night organizers to be Hu Ge and Liu Yifei. If that's to continue this year with the awards not following the popular vote, then the names being thrown around the most are Zhu Yilong and Zhang Xiaofei.

Ah, that makes sense.  I think that's actually a good idea, as then it's less of a popularity contest and a way to get some different fans and eyes on their show.

atmospheres:
I think Deng Wei is considered an emerging fashion icon and fashionable celebrity because of his personal street style is highlighted a lot on Chinese social media and also he's done a lot of covers and photoshoots for fashion magazines that were considered artsy/avant garde/or high fashion. Also, small point, but he did a GQ 'What's in my bag?' video which is a well-known line of video content that GQ does with international stars both established and up and coming. Personally, I really enjoy that particular line of content GQ has and would like to see more Chinese celebrities, including TJC, filming it with GQ.

I'm definitely the wrong audience for what constitutes fashion, especially avant garde.  I also am not a fan of all that ripped denim / hobo look that he wears.  I think Tan Jian Ci was more adventurous in his fashion choices a few years ago.  He's more standard suit, and oversized hip hop now.  Regardless, idols like Deng Wei and ZLH and XZ are going to get the fashion endorsements far easier than Tan Jian Ci, cause they fit the male fashion model ideal, i.e. tall and a sharply angled face.

I think Tan Jian Ci did a What's in the Bag video ... for GQ or maybe Vogue?

EDIT: Found it!

https://youtu.be/JwKYk5-GA-Q?si=G69_ba3CNvVarwxn