We are performing scheduled database maintenance, which may cause temporary downtime. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.
 nathsketch:

I just realized that I ruined my own watch party.

I'm literally a Debbie Downer party pooper.

I don't even need to say which sound effect it is, do I? :D

LOL!  Well, it isn't a MEOW. heheheh

Kokuto:

LOL!  Well, it isn't a MEOW. heheheh

Hahahaha there was a watch party going on right now and I had to make up an absurd excuse because they wouldn’t believe me if I told them the simple truth :D 

It totally is a meow. Ahahahahahaha

luv2bafangurl:
This is interesting, because I also heard about this often. What make you said that someone is bad actress/actors other than their limited expressions?

Is it maybe the line delivery ? Line delivery is definitely something that we international viewers can not judge, but most idol actors are dubbed anyway. For me it‘s the other way around, where sometimes I found it jarring if the dubber‘s voice doesn‘t match the actor‘s face/vibe.

Acting should be universal, I always thought that it doesn't matter if the actor is acting in a language you can understand or not, you can still tell if they're a bad or good actor and I don't believe it's completely subjective. Can the actor make a character convincing and disappear into that character, make that character seem like a real person? Or do you just see the actor acting very hard, playing a role, making boring and expected choices when it comes to their facial expressions, how they react and interact with another actor in a scene? Do they have annoying tics or habits that are theirs alone, not the character's, because you've seen them display it over multiple projects? Are they dead behind the eyes? Lights are on but no one's home? Can they generate realistic, naturalistic chemistry or does it feel fake and rehearsed?

I can't speak to Zhou Ye's line delivery because in everything I've seen her in she's been dubbed, a problem in and of itself. She's a Beijing Film Academy graduate, bare minimum her voice and voice acting should be trained well enough for her to be able to dub herself. She used her own voice in Youth in the Flames of War but I don't have any plans to watch that, and I heard she uses her own voice in LMLMV but I haven't started watching that. In a recent show she did, Scent of Time, not only was her acting wooden, but the voice they dubbed her with was weird and didn't match her at all, it was very distracting. These were problems pointed out by domestic viewers (the latter problem is obviously not her fault, but the wooden acting was all her), but international viewers seemed to really like her in that show -- a head-scratcher for me.

For a show like LMLMV, her acting is probably fine enough, I think it shouldn't be much of a stretch for her to play a pretty, young bubbly college student, that was basically who she was a few years ago. But when you put her acting alongside TJC's I'm guessing it's going to look like a mismatch of ability. 

atmospheres:
I can't speak to Zhou Ye's line delivery because in everything I've seen her in she's been dubbed, a problem in and of itself. She's a Beijing Film Academy graduate, bare minimum her voice and voice acting should be trained well enough for her to be able to dub herself.

Yes! Line delivery is a large part of acting. Part of acting training involved voice work. As someone who graduated from one of the most prestigious acting academies in the country, it's not unreasonable to expect that she can use her voice as part of her acting.  So many of these actors luck out with the dubbing.

The standards for idol actors are in the toilet. If you have the look and the luck to find an agency with capital to push you, you'll be given opportunity after opportunity despite being mediocre or downright bad. Just look at Yang Chao Yue. God-awful acting, isn't even well-liked by the target audience and yet, so many lead roles right off the bat. Or Gong Jun. His acting is painful to sit through - also no screen presence or charisma to speak of either.

I've only seen Zhou Ye in Back from the Brink and Word of Honour (haven't seen enough of Love My Voice) and her acting in both was similar (maybe because the characters were similar). The part in Back from the Brink where she turned "evil" was not good. She looked like she was cosplaying being a badass. You can see that she's "acting". Like the part where Neo Hou 's character stabbed her and she became scared of him. 

HeadInTheClouds:
Just look at Yang Chao Yue. God-awful acting, isn't even well-liked by the target audience and yet, so many lead roles right off the bat. Or Gong Jun. His acting is painful to sit through - also no screen presence or charisma to speak of either.

Yang Chao Yue is a situation where she knows so little about acting that she wasn't even able to take direction, she literally didn't know how to take direction and apply it in the next take. It's terrible that directors would scream at her because they were so frustrated that she literally couldn't take their direction, but her agency should be ashamed for pushing someone with so little technical knowledge and ability into main lead parts. She's basically a puppet of her agency, I think she needs to get herself into an acting program asap and not just for a couple of weeks, for a couple of years at least if she really wants to do this as a career.

Gong Jun is weird, he's just like a big tall beam standing there in scenes giving wooden nothingness. Strangely, he only has chemistry with his co-stars in BL shows. He got lucky with Word of Honor. People said he's improved in Rising With the Wind but I haven't watched that.

HeadInTheClouds:
I've only seen Zhou Ye in Back from the Brink and Word of Honour (haven't seen enough of Love My Voice) and her acting in both was similar (maybe because the characters were similar).

She does tend to do the same kind of roles, I think she's in her comfort zone. She was probably the best in Better Days when she played a mean girl bully.

I would really like to see TJC do a show with a good actress like Zhou Yutong, Qin Lan, Ni Ni, or Zhou Dongyu (if she ever decides to do another idol-ish drama again after all the hate she got during Ancient Love Poetry). If they start casting him in romantic dramas opposite post-2000 born actresses like Zhao Jinmai, Zhang Zifeng, and Wen Qi, I will be shaking my head so hard and may finally reach the point where there are shows of his I can't even attempt to watch lol.

atmospheres:
Acting should be universal, I always thought that it doesn't matter if the actor is acting in a language you can understand or not, you can still tell if they're a bad or good actor and I don't believe it's completely subjective.

Precisely. Bad is bad in any language.

atmospheres:
If they start casting him in romantic dramas opposite post-2000 born actresses like Zhao Jinmai, Zhang Zifeng, and Wen Qi, I will be shaking my head so hard and may finally reach the point where there are shows of his I can't even attempt to watch lol.

Please no. Is this a Leonardo DiCaprio situation? No women over 25 allowed?

Keep those infants away. Suddenly him dying in every show deserves to be celebrated. Be careful with what you wish for.

atmospheres:
She does tend to do the same kind of roles, I think she's in her comfort zone. She was probably the best in Better Days when she played a mean girl bully.

I definitely need to watch that. Can't believe she's able to bully someone :O

atmospheres:
I would really like to see TJC do a show with a good actress like Zhou Yutong, Qin Lan, Ni Ni, or Zhou Dongyu (if she ever decides to do another idol-ish drama again after all the hate she got during Ancient Love Poetry).

Ni Ni!!!!

YASSSSSS!

Will have to look up the others.  But Ni Ni!!!!

Alright... so what I'm basically hearing is that Tan Jianci and his exceptional acting raised our standards so high that everyone else looks mediocre? Because I agree 100%. Tan Jianci, please stop being so good at everything. You're making everyone else look bad LOL

Actors that I used to enjoy like Yang Yang and Lee Jongsuk are nothing now that I've seen TJC. Crazy how he's an actor but doesn't even act! He breathes life into the characters and fully immerses himself in them. Even today, I still find it hard to believe that Xiang Liu and Fang Feng Bei are the same person because TJC made them feel like two completely different people.

I liked Li Landi in The Starry Love, but I don't think her acting is good enough to match TJC in Filter. So I'm trying not to have high hopes for Filter just because it's associated with TJC and Tong Hua.

atmospheres:
I would really like to see TJC do a show with a good actress like Zhou Yutong, Qin Lan, Ni Ni, or Zhou Dongyu (if she ever decides to do another idol-ish drama again after all the hate she got during Ancient Love Poetry). If they start casting him in romantic dramas opposite post-2000 born actresses like Zhao Jinmai, Zhang Zifeng, and Wen Qi, I will be shaking my head so hard and may finally reach the point where there are shows of his I can't even attempt to watch lol.

Agreed! They really need to pair him up with actresses who can actually match up with his skills (and age), or at least close. What about Yang Zi? It'd be really nice to see my favorite actress and actor working together :-)

Kokuto:

Ni Ni!!!!

YASSSSSS!

Will have to look up the others.  But Ni Ni!!!!

YES! Ni Ni!

loved her in RoF, and her voice is smexy hahaha

MySiFeng:

YES! Ni Ni!

loved her in RoF, and her voice is smexy hahaha

Her voice.  Her eyes.  Her body.  She's all around sexy.  And an amazing actress!

Put them in costume together and the screen would EXPLODE.

I think that's why i'm picky with cdramas, especially wuxia/xianxia ones.

majority of the actors lacks experience and it shows in their acting. The ones that are good usually not that popular.

just blessed to know about TJC this year, apart from CY. These two actors, gonna look out for their future works.

atmospheres:
I would really like to see TJC do a show with a good actress like Zhou Yutong, Qin Lan, Ni Ni, or Zhou Dongyu (if she ever decides to do another idol-ish drama again after all the hate she got during Ancient Love Poetry).

Okay, looked them up.  I've actually seen Zhou Yu Tong in ... The Journey.  Part 1 ... and 2.  Don't judge. 

Yes.  I may have a type. lol  But this was ... strictly a low, low, low budget movie, with dreadful costumes.  How they got all these good actors, I don't know.  And they tried. 

Not sure about Zhou Dongyu.  She has a very delicate face.  Qin Lan, OTOH, I'd be very curious to see, since she's actually older than Tan Jian Ci, but like him, apparently ageless.  I think I'm going to watch The Eight.  It's free on IQiYi.  She is gorgeous.

Kokuto:

Her voice.  Her eyes.  Her body.  She's all around sexy.  And an amazing actress!

Put them in costume together and the screen would EXPLODE.

Just looked her up and she’s 35. Freaking 35! And so beautiful! Please why can’t they cast these grown up women who know what they’re doing but instead keep insisting on putting the young ones on our screens? 

I need novel recommendations guys

I'm done reading what I have