MengXiang:

Gee maybe there would be less hate if Xu Kai played TSJ. DW was so bad. I no longer enjoy any DW any more. I use to think he was hot! Crazy!

Kokuto:

I've only seen Xu Kai in one thing, and I'm not sure he could do better with Tushan Jing.  Maybe less mopey?  But I think his fans like him mopey.  But the character is pretty ... well, let's just say, not my cup of tea.

I don't know if this is an actor problem or an "I just really dislike this character" problem. Before this, I only saw DW in Till The End of The Moon and didn't have any problem with him, a bit dull but that's also his character. Watching LYF, I disliked his Jing so much. The mopiness and crying were just grating. I don't think viewers mean to dislike Jing, he's the official pairing after all. I also read the novel before watching the drama and was neutral on Jing. Re-reading the book after watching the drama though, my neutral stance turned to full-blown dislike. Did my dislike for DW's Jing influence my perception of this character on re-read? Or did DW do a really good job of capturing how unlikeable this character is?

HeadInTheClouds:
You're not into the lumberjack look, Ko? :-).

No.

Though now I want to see Xiang Liu dressed up as a lumberjack to test this preference. ;p

HeadInTheClouds:
The trailer and a bunch of short bts clips from his new movie, I Miss You. I think that's what it's called. I couldn't find any embeddable source so you guys will have to click on the links. I can't even see Dr. Mo here, forget about XL. XL has left the planet :-).

I love that third one where he kisses her back which surprises her, and she walks off with that shy grin.  And poor Tan Jian Ci rightly throws the director under the bus for that.  Plus the director orders her to act like a dominant CEO in her treatment of Tan Jian Ci's character.   O_O

Yes, the movie was called Again and Again, but they changed the title.  He's definitely not as perfect as Dr. Mo, or charismatic and powerful as XL, but he does have their vulnerability.

HeadInTheClouds:
He also attended some events for Michael Kors dressed all in white. He seems to be super busy lately.

YES!  He also did a livestream for Michael Kors, as well as that party, where he performed Imma Get It.  It's no wonder why he is looks so happy at the thought of a vacation.

HeadInTheClouds:
I don't know if this is an actor problem or an "I just really dislike this character" problem. Before this, I only saw DW in Till The End of The Moon and didn't have any problem with him, a bit dull but that's also his character. Watching LYF, I disliked his Jing so much. The mopiness and crying were just grating. I don't think viewers mean to dislike Jing, he's the official pairing after all. I also read the novel before watching the drama and was neutral on Jing. Re-reading the book after watching the drama though, my neutral stance turned to full-blown dislike. Did my dislike for DW's Jing influence my perception of this character on re-read? Or did DW do a really good job of capturing how unlikeable this character is?

I've seen plenty of reviews where they don't like Deng Wei's acting.  I also only saw him in TtEotM, and I didn't think the script gave him much to do, but he didn't rise above it either, which some of the other actors did do.

It's a strange dynamic.  I think quite a few people love Jing because they love Deng Wei and his acting and that prevents them from seeing the character's flaws.  But then there's people like yourself, that found Deng Wei's performance contributed to their dislike of Jing.  And then there's folks that just like Jing regardless.

For me, I think Deng Wei made the character more sympathetic to many people, but not me.  I didn't like the character, and the way he played him reinforced my dislike.

Kokuto:
But then there's people like yourself, that found Deng Wei's performance contributed to their dislike of Jing. And then there's folks that just like Jing regardless.

I don't know if I would say that he contributed to my dislike. I was neutral on both DW and Jing going in. But watching DW's Jing makes me dislike the character. Maybe it's because it has been years since I read the novel so my opinion on Jing had changed; maybe seeing the mopiness and crying on screen - the visual of it just made clear what I didn't quite get just from reading the novel. So it's a matter of me not liking this character rather than just a DW issue. 

However, I do think that we as viewers are meant to like Jing - surely they want the viewers to like the "official" love interest so if there are viewers out there who don't like him, does that mean DW didn't do a good job at eliciting sympathy? It's probably an interaction of the two factors - an inherent dislike of Jing + DW's didn't quite manage to make Jing sympathetic to me. Maybe his acting did contribute after all :-). I remain neutral on DW. He's not elevating anything, but he isn't so bad that I want to gouge my eyes out. 

Jing, on the other hand...

HeadInTheClouds:
However, I do think that we as viewers are meant to like Jing - surely they want the viewers to like the "official" love interest so if there are viewers out there who don't like him, does that mean DW didn't do a good job at eliciting sympathy? It's probably an interaction of the two factors - an inherent dislike of Jing + DW's didn't quite manage to make Jing sympathetic to me. Maybe his acting did contribute after all :-). I remain neutral on DW. Jing, on the other hand...

ARE we supposed to like Jing?  Why is he so unlikeable then?  He's the most useless and passive character in the story.

I don't get the 'official' love interest thing.  Was it announced somewhere?  

I'm willing to watch DW in other shows.  At some point.

Nah, I hate him. Loathe him. He’s not even real but I despise his entire fictional existence. 

The only official thing he is is that he is officially the most hated character in nathsketch’s life. Yes, I’m using third person because I want to distance myself from that sad sack of nothingness.

Yo, Jing, vai ver se eu tô na esquina. 

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Kokuto:
Though now I want to see Xiang Liu dressed up as a lumberjack to test this preference. ;p

Heh! First, he's a fishmonger, now, he's a lumberjack! I guess he has an army to feed so needs to work as many jobs as he can get his hands on. Poor XL. I'm sure he'll rock the lumberjack look, though :-)

Kokuto:
He's definitely not as perfect as Dr. Mo, or charismatic and powerful as XL, but he does have their vulnerability.

Yes, a very Average Joe character dealing with average everyday challenges. It's a nice change of pace from larger-than-life XL and the idol-romance perfection of Dr. Mo. Too bad I won't be able to see it unless some international site picks it up. We don't get many foreign movies where I am.

Kokuto:
ARE we supposed to like Jing? Why is he so unlikeable then? He's the most useless and passive character in the story.

This is a bit tricky to answer. I guess it comes down to if you think an author would have the FL in a romance novel ended up with someone un-worthy/un-likeable. It's guessing the author's thoughts and intentions which is a slippery slope. Of course, regardless of the author's intention, characters will take on a life of their own. I find Jing weak and passive; and if any of my female friends or relatives shackled up with a man like Jing, I would be concerned. But he has his fans, so obviously some do not share my opinion. 

With all the alleged changes in the drama that, IMO, were designed to make him less useless, I think we are meant to like this character. With the way they are removing key YaoLiu scenes and increasing YaoJing scenes, I think they are pushing for YaoJing to be the official pairing. I'm pretty sure that he's referred to as the love interest while CX, XL and FL haven't been. But don't quote me on that. 

I always found it a bit amusing the way that Jing's fans insisted with all their might that he's XY's love interest, since TH already said that CX is the male lead (TH is cleverly side-stepping the question of whether XL or Jing is the romantic lead). I mean, if there is even a discussion around just who is the romantic male lead in the story when your dude is the one that ended up with the female lead, then it's pretty telling in itself, isn't it?

Kokuto:
I'm willing to watch DW in other shows. At some point.

Well, he's certainly getting pushed hard so you'll probably won't be able to escape seeing his dramas in the next year or so. I think atmosphere mentioned that it's obvious to her that he has some powerful backers. I find his acting to be limited and his face to be really stiff, but we know that talent isn't a necessity in this industry. DW fits the beauty standards and that can take you far.

All this Deng Wei discussion is interesting. His career is on fire right now, I've been seeing cnetizens saying he's the next Xiao Zhan. His fandom is very mobilized, he'll probably win something at Weibo Night Awards since he's actually attending unlike other year end awards shows he didn't attend because he wasn't going to win anything (not sure if it'll be Weibo Night King but I'm no longer as skeptical as I was about a month ago when the rumor first started circulating). He made the Weibo honors list recently as Weibo users favorite character/person along with Xiao Zhan. Fandoms are allotted tickets to Weibo Night according to their engagement on the platform and his fandom got allotted 5 tickets, to put that in perspective and in comparison, Yang Zi's fandom and TJC's fandom got allotted 4 tickets a piece.

And yes, I agree and was also going to say, like it or not there will be a lot of Deng Wei upcoming. He has several highly anticipated upcoming dramas -- Legend of Rosy Clouds where it seems that his role is the most anticipated given he's going to play the anti-hero (nobody really seems to be talking much about Li Yitong or Zeng Shunxi in it), and Love of the Divine Tree directed by very famous and prolific idol drama director Yin Tao, as well as maybe a show with Yu Shuxin who is looking for her next big gu ou hit after Love Between Fairy and Devil, it was supposed to be My Journey to You but that seemed to resonate more with the international audience than domestic viewers.

I'm interested in TJC's upcoming film with Zhang Jingyi, and if I'm in the country at the time I plan to see it in the theater in March. I think I heard it was based on a book about a couple's failing marriage where the wife wants a divorce and the husband doesn't. The trailers seem to position the film as more of a nostalgic love story that started during their school days. I'm curious to see exactly what the plot and the story actually is.

HeadInTheClouds:
Heh! First, he's a fishmonger, now, he's a lumberjack! I guess he has an army to feed so needs to work as many jobs as he can get his hands on. Poor XL. I'm sure he'll rock the lumberjack look, though :-)

Nooooo!  Not the flannel for XL!  Thank goodness they filmed in summer. ;p

HeadInTheClouds:
Yes, a very Average Joe character dealing with average everyday challenges. It's a nice change of pace from larger-than-life XL and the idol-romance perfection of Dr. Mo. Too bad I won't be able to see it unless some international site picks it up. We don't get many foreign movies where I am.

We don't either.  I'll have to wait till it comes out on DVD or digital. :(   

HeadInTheClouds:
This is a bit tricky to answer. I guess it comes down to if you think an author would have the FL in a romance novel ended up with someone un-worthy/un-likeable. It's guessing the author's thoughts and intentions which is a slippery slope. Of course, regardless of the author's intention, characters will take on a life of their own. I find Jing weak and passive; and if any of my female friends or relatives shackled up with a man like Jing, I would be concerned. But he has his fans, so obviously some do not share my opinion.

There's definitely times I don't think Tong Hua liked XY very much, so .... But the idea of the FL ending up with the "wrong" man, or in not happy situation, or alone isn't unusual, at least in literature of a romantic nature.  I just don't think LYF qualifies as a typical romance novel.

I just think, if you want a character to be likeable, you don't have him do the things Jing did, or worse, didn't do.  I know I'm in the minority, but the more I saw of Jing, the more I understood FFYY and she was undoubtedly not a good person.

As for author's intention ... I fall back on the parallel of the 8 tailed fox and Jing, a descendant of the 9 tailed fox.  This is a pretty glaring sign to me that he is not to be viewed as likeable / worthy character.

HeadInTheClouds:
With all the alleged changes in the drama that, IMO, were designed to make him less useless, I think we are meant to like this character. With the way they are removing key YaoLiu scenes and increasing YaoJing scenes, I think they are pushing for YaoJing to be the official pairing. I'm pretty sure that he's referred to as the love interest while CX, XL and FL haven't been. But don't quote me on that.

Yes.  I'm hoping those don't happen. lol  I guess we'll see.  But if they didn't want people to ship YaoLiu, then they shouldn't have given them romantic dates and the LOVE bug -- or hired Tan Jian Ci.  But, yes, if you have to PUSH to make Jing the love interest, and that may be what the censors are requiring, hence the 'official' status, then that alone says something, doesn't it?

HeadInTheClouds:
I always found it a bit amusing the way that Jing's fans insisted with all their might that he's XY's love interest, since TH already said that CX is the male lead (TH is cleverly side-stepping the question of whether XL or Jing is the romantic lead). I mean, if there is even a discussion around just who is the romantic male lead in the story when your dude is the one that ended up with the female lead, then it's pretty telling in itself, isn't it?

Yes.  It is. ;p

atmospheres:
All this Deng Wei discussion is interesting. His career is on fire right now, I've been seeing cnetizens saying he's the next Xiao Zhan. His fandom is very mobilized, he'll probably win something at Weibo Night Awards since he's actually attending unlike other year end awards shows he didn't attend because he wasn't going to win anything (not sure if it'll be Weibo Night King but I'm no longer as skeptical as I was about a month ago when the rumor first started circulating). He made the Weibo honors list recently as Weibo users favorite character/person along with Xiao Zhan. Fandoms are allotted tickets to Weibo Night according to their engagement on the platform and his fandom got allotted 5 tickets, to put that in perspective and in comparison, Yang Zi's fandom and TJC's fandom got allotted 4 tickets a piece.

I'm actually fine with DW being touted as the next Xiao Zhan.  I will go get my popcorn as his Diamonds and XZ Army go for it ... though my money is on XZ fans, who are on whole other level.  I thought I saw somewhere he was getting some kind of Newcomer award ... though he's not really a newcomer.  I've given up on trying to sort out these awards.  My one experience with watching the voting on Weibo for favorite character told me something weird is going on there too.  I think I mentioned before how it was sitting at one of XZ's characters, then Cheng Yi's MLC character, and then Tan Jian Ci's Xiang Liu.   Then I watched the XZ army somehow get enough votes to take all three spots, with three of his characters.  They closed that voting down early.  I still think Weibo Night King is a Diamond pipe dream for Deng Wei.

I did see that fandom tickets list somewhere ... but I guess I wasn't paying attention to anyone but Tan Jian Ci. ;p

atmospheres:
And yes, I agree and was also going to say, like it or not there will be a lot of Deng Wei upcoming. He has several highly anticipated upcoming dramas -- Legend of Rosy Clouds where it seems that his role is the most anticipated given he's going to play the anti-hero (nobody really seems to be talking much about Li Yitong or Zeng Shunxi in it), and Love of the Divine Tree directed by very famous and prolific idol drama director Yin Tao, as well as maybe a show with Yu Shuxin who is looking for her next big gu ou hit after Love Between Fairy and Devil and they're trying her out with various hot young male liuliangs in show after show until they can find the right man and the right show.

Oh, so now DW's character in Legend of Rosy Clouds is going to be an anti-hero, instead of a villain?  Interesting.  I think there's some talk about Tian Jia Rui in it too.  But it really has a packed cast.

Yes, according to Koala, there's a strong rumor that DW is going to be in Kill My Sins, but Yu Shuxin has been replaced by Liu Shi Shi.  That seems a bit odd, so maybe it is still Yu Shuxin -- who has indeed been very busy.

Someone in the comments said there was another dust up about Deng Wei on Weibo this past week, and I was like over what?  He's just working on his own drama right now, isn't he?  Or is it the Weibo Show stuff?

Okay ... so is Deng Wei (or his fans) really trying to co-opt the snake emoji for himself on Weibo?  LMAO!!!  Is that what the last the dust up was about?  

Please note of this snake emoji  as this represents Deng Wei, his codename in Douban which is also being used on weibo.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=916655356484226&set=a.585628762920222

atmospheres:
His career is on fire right now, I've been seeing cnetizens saying he's the next Xiao Zhan.

Whenever someone gets hyped as the next so-and-so, that tells me that the hype is manufactured rather than organic. Xiao Zhan broke out on the back of a hugely popular character, in a hugely popular show as part of a hugely popular pairing. That, plus his look and personality, shot him into the stratosphere. This isn't something that could be easily replicated. If they hype DW too much - linking him to XZ, it might backfire on him. Not to mention, it will bring XZ's fans down on him and they are nuts.

I don't follow DW's work, but was LYF his breakout? His last drama was TTEoTM, and he didn't get much hype from that. Was he pegged to be the next big thing and that's why his name is in the running for Weibo's King? 'Cause if it's just based on LYF, then it seems really odd. From the two dramas that I've seen him in, I don't really rate his acting or presence/charisma. There is always someone who's on the verge of breaking through, but never quite manages to. I'm curious to know what are the metrics used to measure if someone has broken through or not.

atmospheres:
I'm interested in TJC's upcoming film with Zhang Jingyi, and if I'm in the country at the time I plan to see it in the theater in March.

I do like this kind of story and I like that TJC acts and carries himself differently as different characters. Some actors very much just act the same in all roles. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to see this for a long while :-(

Kokuto:
There's definitely times I don't think Tong Hua liked XY very much, so

You and me both :-). I think I and Meng Xiang mentioned that the ending of LYF is like a cautionary tale - deal with your shit, or you'll end up like XY; eternally yearning for your true love while shacked to a dead weight like Jing :-).

Kokuto:
I just think, if you want a character to be likeable, you don't have him do the things Jing did, or worse, didn't do.

I don't need characters to be perfect, but if I'm gonna like them then I need them to have some admirable qualities. Jing's stand-out trait is his "kindness" - unfortunately I just find that to be a sham; nothing but a hollow shell to mask his incompetence. I was team XL very early on in the novel, but if I'd picked Jing to be the male lead I would have expected his character to find a way to break off the engagement with FFYY; deal with Hou and re-define himself in some way. What I would not expect is for him to be trapped and mopey and have to be rescued by XY and his love rival. Even halfway through book 3 of the novel I was still expecting XY to end up with XL, because I couldn't believe that she was going to end up with someone like Jing. 

Kokuto:
if you have to PUSH to make Jing the love interest, and that may be what the censors are requiring, hence the 'official' status, then that alone says something, doesn't it?

What it says is that they knew that if they left him as is, there would be people like us who would be wondering why the heck someone this pathetic is the love interest :-)

Kokuto:
As for author's intention ... I fall back on the parallel of the 8 tailed fox and Jing, a descendant of the 9 tailed fox. This is a pretty glaring sign to me that he is not to be viewed as likeable / worthy character.

For me, it's the fact that the author had proclaimed XL as her favourite character. If she likes XL, then how could she like Jing who is the antithesis of XL? All the traits and qualities that XL have that prevented him from being with XY and brought him so many fans even when he barely appeared in the novel are all the traits and qualities that Jing doesn't have which allowed him to be with XY.