So I am on episode 15 here's my broad understanding on the world-building in Love and Redemption. Most of it is standard Xianxia genre but I know a lot of stories add their own rules/definitions 

- There are three realms: The Heavenly Realm, The Mortal Realm and the Underworld. The story right now is taking place in the Mortal Realm, more specifically in the Jiang Hu. 

- Cultivators: so our protagonists (right now) are cultivators. They are mortals but through cultivation have skills/powers that non-cultivators don't and are also able to live longer than non-cultivators. Their goal is to reach enlightenment/Nirvana/achieve immortality and become Immortals. Right now, there are 5 cultivating sects. Our FL and her friends are from one and our ML is from another. Some Wuxia/Xianxia stories have evil or unorthodox cultivating sects. 

- Immortal: Immortals here seem to be divided into 'Heavenly' immortals or 'Demons'. Demons are not necessaily evil but more of a classification - like if you are a certain Immortal species (Merman or Fox) then you classify as a demon. 

So that my broad understanding (please correct me if wrong). I'm sure more things will be explained as the story progresses. My questions are: what is Tian Xu hall and who are is members? Are they Demons (and by default, Immortals)? Or are they evil mortal cultivators? Or mixed, mortal cultivators working with Immortal Demons? I figured they were all Demons but behave kind of like a cultivating sect and were joined by Wu Tong who is clearly a mortal

Next, what exactly is Xuyang peak? Is it like a branch sect of Shaoyang sect? 

Looking forward to your answers, thanks!

This drama doesn't deserve category " XianXia" because all of the story in this drama from beginning until the end is focus on demon...so I'm very disagree this drama is XianXia Drama ( xian in chinese language is " immortal/God" ) so XianXia is called for the drama which tells about the life of gods or what happens in the sky realm to be precise..

Hi Hanah and others, please ignore iamluckystar. This person is just a troll who is hating on Love and Redemption specifically, and his/her explanation is also wrong.

Adding on to Hanah:

Xianxia is a Chinese genre which involves fantasy. In other words, we have immortals (gods/goddesses), demons, mortals, cultivation (practicing martial arts/magic), and obviously, the Three Realms. Demons are part of Xianxia, and anyone who has watched any Xianxia will be able to confirm it. (besides haters) The Three Realms consists of three different worlds: The Heavenly Realm, The Demon Realm, and The Mortal Realm. They are all connected, and the realms will not be able to exist if one realm disappears. 

To Hanah: Tian Xu Hall is a group of cultivators who have turned evil. Some are demons, but not all of them are. When a person practices evil magic for too long, he or she will slowly become a demon, although that doesn't necessarily mean that all demons are evil.

Xuyang Peak is, yes, a branch of Shaoyang Sect. It is also the most important branch, as it is led by the sect leader.

Hanah:
So that my broad understanding (please correct me if wrong). I'm sure more things will be explained as the story progresses. My questions are: what is Tian Xu hall and who are is members? Are they Demons (and by default, Immortals)? Or are they evil mortal cultivators? Or mixed, mortal cultivators working with Immortal Demons? I figured they were all Demons but behave kind of like a cultivating sect and were joined by Wu Tong who is clearly a mortal. 

Next, what exactly is Xuyang peak? Is it like a branch sect of Shaoyang sect? 

Looking forward to your answers, thanks!

TianXu Hall is found by Yuan Lang and is Demons only except when he found and started using WuTong.

Most cultivation sects have peaks and each peak is managed by a sect elder. The sect elders doesn't actually need to be an old person and can be inherit by their young inheriting disciple 

XuYang Peak is one of the peaks of ShaoYang Sect

Thank you for the answers! One of the reasons why I was confused about TianXu Hall and whether they are evil cultivators (aka mortals) or (evil) demons (aka Immortals) is because the Heavenly Immortals don't seem to be doing anything about them. If they are human cultivators it makes sense that the 5 sects are going against them because it is a human vs human fight. If they are Demons, it should really be the Heavenly Immortals trying to stop them, because then its Immortal vs Immortal. The fight 1000 years ago they always allude to was Celestial Immortal vs Demon Immortals (with the cultivators just helping out the Celestial side). It doesn't really make sense why a bunch of humans are fighting an evil Demon sect and the Celestial Immortals are not getting involved. Kind of like the FBI fighting an international crime syndicate and the CIA not getting involved. 

well actually, gods cant intervene in anything that happens in the mortal realm and attacking demons was all BaiLin's salty idea. He give the order. The Heavenly Emperor never said a thing about getting rid of the demons. And the reason they didn't get rid of TianXu hall is bc of the sect's inability to. as for the gods, it's BaiLin who's so dead set of ridding them

@Hanah actually this drama has a lot of story holes and doesn't make any sense ... I skipped a lot of this part of the drama to finish it, especially vomiting blood is something that is the most ordinary and excessive in this drama ... hope you enjoy it ...

ahh.... now i know who that user is now......

iamluckystar:

@Hanah actually this drama has a lot of story holes and doesn't make any sense ... I skipped a lot of this part of the drama to finish it, especially vomiting blood is something that is the most ordinary and excessive in this drama ... hope you enjoy it ...

+1 ..... this drama tv series has too much plot hole.... disgusting........ IMO........

Euphoria:

well actually, gods cant intervene in anything that happens in the mortal realm and attacking demons was all BaiLin's salty idea. He give the order. The Heavenly Emperor never said a thing about getting rid of the demons. And the reason they didn't get rid of TianXu hall is bc of the sect's inability to. as for the gods, it's BaiLin who's so dead set of ridding them

Ahh, yeah, I see. Given what we are seeing of BaiLin (in episode 20s right now), this makes sense. I probably should have just kept watching and let the drama answer my questions for me haha. Thank you! 

I'm sorry the two users above are not enjoying the drama. I was not initially very interested either despite the high rating ratings because I thought it would be the same overused tropes. Started it on a whim but now I like it a lot. As some who likes to overanalyze things (if my questions above don't already tell you!), there are a lot of moving parts in this drama to pick at and deconstruct, whether it is the world-building, plot or characters. 

I quite like the main leads. I was really hesitant about watching another innocent/naïve/stupid female lead but Xuan Ji is pretty good at taking the initiative. Putting aside the God of War and hidden power abilities, she is very good about speaking up and explaining herself. With the no-six-senses thing, she may not always know there is a problem, but when she does, she tries to understand why it's a problem and how to fix it. In essence, she is a very good communicator given her physical/emotional limitations. This is a very good trait to have, in and out of drama-land. This is in contrast to Si Feng, who is actually really bad at communication. He reminds of me Ye Hua in that they are written as these perfect, flawless male leads but a lot of their problems are caused by themselves. 

Did I mention I tend to overanalyze?

Hanah:
I quite like the main leads. I was really hesitant about watching another innocent/naïve/stupid female lead but Xuan Ji is pretty good at taking the initiative.

XuanJi's traits also gives a lot of rooms for good character developments too.