I was hyped for this show as this was from the writer of Another Miss Oh and director of Signal both of them are standouts of their genre (Rom com and thriller)

Yet,the story and show they delivered seemed to me a miss-sell based on the title of the show and ended quite strangely in my opinion.

Still, I am amazed to see the ratings this gets..

Wait, can you elaborate why you think this was a miss-sell?  Based on the title, were you expecting a more clearly-defined relationship between the leads, and a romantic one at that?  This show seems to have a divided fandom, with those happy interpreting their relationship as strictly platonic and the other half seeing this as one of the greatest love stories ever told.   If you think based on the title, this should be a romantic drama, then you are not wrong at all.  There are clues everywhere if you look carefully and they have been discussed to the moon and back. This new fan site has everything and hopefully you'd understand the ratings: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/

Wow,a fan site to discuss the theories !The fandom for this show is something else..

The mis selling I referred to was on the love story part-the title sets you up for a romance drama where the lovers will find the way to each other after obstacles .This show gave something else entirely.

Well, then I have an easy solution for you.  Go to the fansite and read the posts under Analysis.  I guarantee you will come out convinced that the lovers have indeed found their way to each other.  This drama had to tell its romance in very subtle ways because of the ridiculous criticism it received when IU was first considered as the lead.   And in my opinion they succeeded wildly in telling a very unconventional love story.  But seriously, just spend sometime reading the posts.  I am very curious to see what you think after you do that.

Wow,these are some different interpretations,esp the Joseon one !

I still don't get the fact that they have found their way to each other .It just seemed that they were saying goodbye..Anyways,thanks for bringing this to my notice and also the fact as to why they need to be subtle about this.

I started to write my explanation on why the ending is not them saying goodbye but actually the start of something new, but then I realize it would take too long.  It's all in the nuances, in the body language, in the history of how these two communicate with each other.  This post, translated from a Korean viewer's comment, explains everything very well: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/my-ahjussi-ending-a-promise-of-more/

Sorry to disagree but isn't Dong Hoon just being amiable with this handshake ? What I would have liked is for him to finally acknowledge that he likes her in a straight manner (the writer can do that at the ending ,cant they?) Maybe I am in a minority (since the show is so well regarded !!!) but i would have liked a better wrap up of this tale.

No, unfortunately the writer couldn't do that because currently there is a big feminist movement in South Korea and it puts a lot of pressure on the depictions of relationships.  Age gap between older man and younger woman is a big no.  The reverse is no problem.  So the writer and director had to work within the current highly charged atmosphere and find creative ways to show love, yes, romantic love.

I also would have liked to see an open confession from him, but I can settle with the notion that he has always been sparse with his words and prefers to show by actions.  Plus, she knows him, and she knows the meanings behind his ambiguous words.  

Arihant D:

Sorry to disagree but isn't Dong Hoon just being amiable with this handshake ? What I would have liked is for him to finally acknowledge that he likes her in a straight manner (the writer can do that at the ending ,cant they?) Maybe I am in a minority (since the show is so well regarded !!!) but i would have liked a better wrap up of this tale.

This show isn't a love story. If you want a typical, cliche romance drama then this isn't it. Real life doesn't have a definite ending. I liked that by keeping the show open ended, it leads to discussion and multiple different endings for people to imagine. 

To really understand the beauty of this drama, you need to open your heart. These are like real people with real problems. This is not your usually rom-com where everything has happy ending and easy relationships. In life, it is never that easy. I found few comments from people who understood message of the drama perfectly and what you get from this masterpiece. If you don't understand it, maybe you are not ready to fully accept other people pain.

,,She helps him breathe. He's worried about breathing if she's not there. What an extraordinary bond they have developed.

What makes this drama so beautiful is because we get to see what human nature really is. Good people have bad sides. Bad people have good sides. In the end, we're just trying to survive and to what surviving means is up to us. Dong Hoon just wants a quiet life and someone to understand him beneath all his taciturn personality. Ji An just wants to be understood and be accepted despite her dark past. Jung Hee just wants to love and be loved in return. The monk just wants to seek true happiness. Older brother just wants to make their mother rest in peace. Youngest brother just wants his love to finally heal the wounds he made and make her come out of her shell. Wife just wants to be part of Dong Hoon's life and relieve her loneliness. CEO just wants to keep his title and love carelessly. Kwang Il just wants peace from all his guilt. If we look at it in a certain way, human desire is not entirely bad. In the end, how we come to achieve what we desire becomes the denominator. That's why this drama is so beautiful. It makes us think. It makes us review all the choices we make. Did the choices we make in the past makes us our person? Is it right when our intentions our good but we do it in a bad way because we have no choice? This drama hits us real hard because it shows us what really there is: life in its raw, cruel and bittersweet form."

@Just because some people don't get this drama does not mean they don't feel other people's pain.My major issue with the show is that it leaves a lot to the viewer to interpret (i call it an illogical ending whereas you may feel it is the best ending in the world)

I have seen multiple other dramas which I thought were more clear to the point instead of being all subtle or abstract about it.

Oh...ok.. I just leae things like it is, maybe it is not your type of stuff and that's all. At least I know that many people related to it and understood, but some -  don't. Maybe someday you'll get it, or maybe not.

overrated for you, underrated for everyone else

Really, ratings of 9.3 are underrated???

We would give 100 if we could...