I also love NIF. I strongly recommend you Stranger, it's really really good.

https://mydramalist.com/21934-stranger 

Curious. Did you ever find anything comparable? I am still looking. 

PeachBlossomGoddess:

Curious. Did you ever find anything comparable? I am still looking. 

Not in the same vein but I heard The Untamed was really good so I will be watching that next. 

Wanna have additional recommendations of epic historical Chinese dramas, ones I've recently watched and super loved:

• Story of Yanxi Palace
  • The Story of Minglan

Sparrow, six flying dragons, three kingdoms, the disguiser

I recommend The Untamed only because that is now my all time favorite drama. I am looking for another drama to fill that void and I heard great things about NIF.  But cannot find it anywhere to watch:  not on Viki, Amazon, Netflix.  I live in the United States.

From the US you can get the English dubbed version on Viki (which all the Chinese speakers hate but if you are not it may be ok). It used to be on Amazon I don't know what happened there. If you have a VPN and you set it to Singapore or Phillipines you can watch the Mandarin version with English subtitles on Viki. I think from the US you can also watch it on Youtube. 

K Arlene:

I recommend The Untamed only because that is now my all time favorite drama. I am looking for another drama to fill that void and I heard great things about NIF.  But cannot find it anywhere to watch:  not on Viki, Amazon, Netflix.  I live in the United States.

You can find NIF on Youtube subbed in English. 

Shadow (movie) is on Netflix Canada. 

Longest Day in Chang-An on Amazon. 

Both worth your time if interested in political intrigue and great production value.  Both fully subbed. 

Mimikatan:

Shadow (movie) is on Netflix Canada. 

Longest Day in Chang-An on Amazon. 

Both worth your time if interested in political intrigue and great production value.  Both fully subbed. 

Thank you for your suggestions.  Longest Day in Chang-An looks like a show I would like.  I will check it out. Thank you!

You’re welcome. 

In case it wasn’t mentioned before The Rise of Phoenixes is pretty good too, even though the last quarter has been heavily criticized. It was my “gateway” drama . Available on Netflix and fully subbed