I had a few burning questions and a wild thought after watching this gem of a show. 

Would like to hear thoughts from other fans and also if you have your own questions or theories, please feel free to add them to the thread! 😆

Question 1: What's with Li Hong Bin and closing doors?

I kept waiting for the show to explain why Li Hong Bin was always telling people to shut the door but it didn't happen, hahaha. I thought it was some peeve or paranoia. Granted, he stopped saying that  in the later part of the show. Anyone can shed some light?

Question 2: Why did the bird start out with such a foul vocabulary?

The parrot starts out calling Xiong Xi Ruo "贱人", which is a pretty nasty name (meaning 'slut, harlot, tramp'). Since it used to belong to apparently gentle and saintly Dai Ke Er and was later left with Li Hong Yu / Li Hong Bin, where did it pick up such language?

(This mystery led me to Wild Speculation 1.)

Wild Speculation 1: Did Dai Ru Er have something to do with her sister's death?

If Dai Ru Er was in love with Li Hong Bin, did she (or her old maidservant) do something to cause her (twin?) sister's sickness and eventual death? If Dai Ru Er repeatedly raged and cursed her sister out of jealousy, that might explain where the parrot picked up the term "贱人"...

It may also explain Li Hong Bin's cool reception towards Dai Ru Er...

Question 3: Is there a link to the translated novel? If you've read the novel, how does it compare to the show?

I couldn't find it novel on https://www.novelupdates.com. Would be curious to find out if the show is true to the novel, or if there are more details in the novel... 

Random Reflection 1: Positive, realistic portrayal of parental units

Li Hong Bin and Li Hong Yu's parents are my favourite CDrama parents, possibly more-so than the Bans in A Girl Like Me. They are so real: the mom is fiery and makes snap decisions out of knee-jerk reactions and then regrets it / worries but doesn't want to back down because she doesn't want to lose prestige. The dad never contradicts the mom, even when she defensively accuses him of saying she is in the wrong, but calmly reassures her yet offers clever solutions to her dilemma. They complement each other so perfectly. They grow, they change their minds, they have character development! They also have that wordless communication that strong couples develop over time. 

I also like that the dad's character design: not domineering or handsome, appears mild and even sleepy, but is actually shrewd, yet a bit henpecked, sometimes slightly silly. His lightning shift from deadpan to cackling (when Xiong Xi Ruo has that first official interview with her future in-laws) really cracked me up.  😂