I love historical dramas but some tropes are starting to get on my nerves lately. I would like to find dramas that fit the following:

• The plot is intelligent and (at least somewhat) unique. The characters are well-written and nuanced. The main focus isn't good-looking actors and romantic fluff. I prefer (melo)drama to comedy since those tend to be more focused on the plot and character development but I like lighter dramas too if they are well-written.
  • The ML isn't a crown prince or a king. Regular prince might do if the plot isn't about how he will get the crown for himself after all.
  • The FL isn't stereotypical sassy girlboss who is supposedly strong and smart but keeps on getting into trouble because she makes stupid decisions without end. 
  • The drama isn't about bitchy women in a harem competing for their husband's attention or power. I actually prefer if there are no female characters whose only traits are jealous, mean and airheaded.

Thanks in advance. 

Nirvana in fire. Well written and good acting

1. Detective Samoyeds. Well, the ml is a ||lost prince, but there’s not focus on it.|| It’s more focused on solving mysteries . The main female characters are all awesome and a decent amount of comedy 

You might like Ming Dynasty in 1566. It's serious and realistic, and there's a lot of politics. Most of the characters are intelligent. The main character is just a normal politician, but not royalty. It's not a romance, and there's no female lead.

You can find it on Youtube with English subtitles.

A Dream of Splendor

Shogun - one of the best historical drama this year, I can tell ?

Uncle Samsik if you want a challenge (it's a fantastic drama, but better if you're versed in Korean history - which I'm not, and fine with taking notes/ googling. Certainly one I'd rewatch)

Advisor's Alliance/ Growling Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Long River

Story of Yanxi Palace (ok you said no bitchy women in a harem but I'll suggest it anyway lol - partially because it's excellent, and also I've never seen a FL like that one. She's amazing)

Marvellous Women

Nirvana in Fire, Ming Dynasty in 1566, Three Kingdoms, and Shogun - all have been suggested, all are excellent and worth checking out.

Joy of Life...ish! Can't say why without spoilers but also excellent

The Ingenious One

Under the Queen's Umbrella

War of Faith

Bangkok Blossom (uncomfortable to watch at times but very interesting and unique).

Rise of Phoenixes

Sounds like Mr. Sunshine

Drama set in 1900s, short before Joseon (Korea) loses its independence. Well-written and nuanced characters. The main focus is non romantic, romance is really subtle. It's more on a drama side with humorous moments and sarcastic jokes.

There are three MLs: soldier, Yakuza and playboy. All of them have their own interests and goal but they end up supporting FL and her aim. 

The FL is strong and sassy but she's not a girl boss with 'i don't need anyone and I fight everyone qlone'.  No, she strong enough to ask for help and accept it. She uses not only a weapon but her status (she a noble woman) and help of her people. She allies with ML. 

There is a wonderful SFL. She's a woman with sad fate and she had to be strong and brave to survive and become who she was.

Khun Chaai (To Sir, With Love) Free to view on one31's youtube channel. Well-written and paced with multiple interconnected story lines set amongst a business guild of Chinese families in Thailand in the 1940s. There are two romances but they don't dominate (one is het, one is between men). Most western viewers are there for the gay romance and expect BL pacing, but it's family politics lakorn (melodrama) and women are central to nearly all of it.

Two of the women are competing with each other for power for their sons (half-brothers with a strong bond) against the backdrop of cultural homophobia (the older one who will inherit leadership of the business guild is gay and that has to be kept secret) and cultural sexism. 

So on the surface, it may be a bit close to the last in your list of things you'd like to avoid but it's more complicated and interesting. And hard to explain without giving too much away. As the stories progress, the different skills the women hold all come into play. Oh and I can't say more :)