1. South Korea 
  2. Taiwan
  3. Japan
  4. China (just too many episodes)

Country of origin matters more in dramas than in movies. The format (episode length, episode count) is different. the rules about what’s acceptable to show are different. Plus creators seem to be more influenced by other dramas from their country. Movie makers have more international influences. 

Pakistani drama for sure because they are reality based 

1. Taiwan
2. Japan
3. South Korea

Although I watch way fewer c-dramas than I used to, overall I'd still say China (other countries aren't too far behind, however).

SK  444    China 0     Taiwan 1     Japan   7

I am not Sker.

Do I need to explain which the best dramas are for me?

I'd say South Korea since a lot of dramas I've watched from there have had great balance. It's no wonder since they have higher budgets and overall a bigger market and active industry

Of course, every country has their strengths & weaknesses! Since a lot of themes were already discussed on this forum I'd like to voice my thoughts and ranking on queer representation

1. Thailand has recently given amazing representation for queer folks, but their production quality is still way lower than Korean, although they've improved on it a lot

2. Korean production is generally great, but many queer dramas lack any depth to them and just live off of fan service and the title of BL, so the writing may be half-assed

3. Japan gives the worst representation out of these three, it's still very much just fiction and doesn't seem like they're making any effort on acknowledging the reality of queer people (although their BL market is the biggest, it's treated more as a fetish than a real thing)

Embracing Uniqueness in International Dramas

No country can claim to make the perfect or best drama. What makes each country's dramas exceptional is their unique approach and distinct style, setting them apart from others. This uniqueness is what captivates audiences and keeps them coming back for more.

If every country were to produce dramas in the same style, it would diminish the value of watching them all. Just like with any product, if they're all the same, there's no need to experience each one individually. You could simply choose one and be satisfied.

The diversity in storytelling, cultural expressions, and emotional portrayals is what enriches the global drama landscape, making each country's offerings valuable and worth exploring.

The Unique Emotional Expressions in Dramas Across Cultures

Every country has its own way of presenting emotions, which makes their dramas different and unique from each other. For example:

1. Korea: Any kind of emotion, be it anger, hate, love, resentment, sadness, or happiness, is often portrayed with humor.
  2. China: Emotions are generally depicted in a serious tone.
  3. Japan: Emotions are shown in a puzzled manner.
  4. India: The portrayal of emotions tends to be melodramatic.
  5. Pakistan: Emotions are expressed poetically.
  6. Turkey: There is a tense emotional atmosphere.
  7. Thailand: Emotions often come across as rude.
  8. America: Emotions are typically shown in a sophisticated manner.
  9. Taiwan: Emotions are depicted with hesitation.

Targeting the Primary Audience

The primary audience of any country is its own citizens, and productions are made by targeting this audience. The basis of this targeting can be the culture or environment of that place—anything that resonates with their audience.

The Impact of Global Streaming Platforms on Cultural Identity

Since the rise of online platforms, especially after Covid, countries have started to target international audiences. This shift often leads to a change in their unique cultural styles to cater to a broader audience. As a result, some countries have lost their distinct identity in their productions, making them less unique and less enjoyable to watch.

Starting Your Drama Journey: Why Korean Dramas are the Perfect Introduction

For anyone new to the world of dramas and movies, I recommend starting with Korean dramas. Here’s why:

Korean dramas are predominantly romantic comedies (romcoms), which makes them a light and enjoyable entry point. Even if a Korean drama turns out to be less than stellar, the frustration is minimal because they typically have fewer episodes compared to dramas from other countries. While frustrating themes in other countries' dramas can stretch over 5-10 episodes or more, Korean dramas usually resolve such themes within 1-3 episodes out of a standard 16-episode format.

You might wonder why I don’t suggest Japanese dramas, which often have even fewer episodes. The reason is that Japanese dramas tend to be puzzled, psychological, and serious, making them less suitable as an introduction for newcomers.

Starting with Korean dramas allows new viewers to enjoy the genre without feeling overwhelmed or frustrated, making them the perfect choice for beginners.

The Allure of Turkish Dramas

I personally enjoy Turkish dramas because they excel in producing compelling stories that revolve around family, love, and action. These elements are masterfully intertwined to create captivating narratives that keep viewers engaged and emotionally invested. The rich cultural backdrop and intricate plotlines add to the charm, making Turkish dramas a favorite of mine.