Not possible to have a poll, but what do you all think?

So far, my most exposure has to been korean dramas, I also watched some japanese, and recently started to like chinese.

But my feeling is that korean dramas are best, and many reasons for it:
- Good stories
- Great actors
- High production quality
- Music score
- International appeal
etc.

I think korean dramas are best.

I did like japanese, but I've actually dropped them after watching about 10 of them... just didn't feel like it was giving me what I liked about korean dramas.
But then I started watching some chinese dramas, Yanxi Palace and Eternal Love, and they were awesome, so I decided to watch some more. Some were a bit disappointing, others quite nice. My girlfriend is an alien was alright but not perfect. I'm watching now Falling into your smile, and it's pretty good, very similar to a kdrama.

So I think although I like some jdrama, I think I have to rate cdrama a bit higher than jdrama. Although I feel like there is some creativity issue with cdrama, especially for contemporary series... I feel they are very careful about doing things that are not acceptable.
E.g. it's funny to compare some situations between kdrama and cdrama, like if there is a incident in kdrama that warrants the police, then the police would be called and the suspects arrested, and lawyers would appear and lots of yelling at the police station. But in cdrama it's like "I'll write up what I did wrong and reflect on it", and there's no police or lawyers. Kinda interesting to see this cultural difference. I actually prefer to watch historical cdramas rather than contemporary because of this, I think they dare not create content that would like be of political nature or criticize police or something.

I haven't watched any dramas from other countries though, as there's so much to watch and so little time! :)

Here's my ranking, based on what I've watched so far:

1. Japan (20 dramas watched)

2. China (7 dramas watched)

3. Thailand (4 dramas watched)

4. South Korea (7 dramas watched)

In terms of number of good dramas, I think Japan is #1.  About half of the J-dramas that I watched were great, and most of the others were good.

Historical C-dramas are great.  I'm not sure about other genres (I've seen 5 historical and 2 non-historical, and the historical dramas were better).

Thailand seems to be pretty good at making supernatural thrillers (based on The Gifted and Girl From Nowhere).

I'm not sure where to rank Hong Kong and Taiwan, because I've only watched 2 dramas from each of them.  Of the ones that I did watch, The Legend of the Condor Heroes (1983, HK) and Someday or One Day (Taiwan) were both great.

I haven't been very impressed with Korean dramas so far.  Some of them were good, but none were great.  I think J-dramas tend to have better writing and acting.  K-dramas sometimes drag on for too long, just to increase the runtime.

Japan, Definitely!

emaureeng:

South Korea.  I find that I identify more with the characters and emotions in Korean dramas, followed by Chinese and those from Taiwan. Japanese dramas tend to be too cartoon-y and exaggerated for my taste. 

I agree with you. Our thoughts align

I think it depends on the genre too. Certain countries just tackle different subjects better.  For instance South Korea does great crime thrillers /modern stuff and  China does amazing fantasy/historicals etc .  I'm biased in favor of South Korea  but their  kind of storytelling in general is one I connect with the most. 

emaureeng:

South Korea.  I find that I identify more with the characters and emotions in Korean dramas, followed by Chinese and those from Taiwan. Japanese dramas tend to be too cartoon-y and exaggerated for my taste. 

From my experience, only the comedies are cartoon-y and exaggerated.  Other genres aren't like that.

Saygo :

I think it depends on the genre too. Certain countries just tackle different subjects better.  For instance South Korea does great crime thrillers /modern stuff and  China does amazing fantasy/historicals etc .  I'm biased in favor of South Korea  but their  kind of storytelling in general is one I connect with the most. 

I'm in the same boat.

China is awful in contemporary stuff, but great in historical/fantasy stuff.

Korea is great is contemporary stuff and everything else actually.

Japan: 53, Korea: 29, China: 14 

But I can't say which are best. Every country has different dramas. I like comedy and romance. Crazy comedy is best, so I like japanese comedies or romcoms. 

Japan: steady story, not too serious, exaggerated

Korea: roller coaster of emotions

China: sweet romance

I watch them according to the mood. I know that there are many genres and not all cdramas are sweet romance, but those I watched usually are and when I need sweet romance then I usually search for some cdrama.

Examples of dramas I like from each country:

Japan: Koi wa Tsuzuku yo Doko Made mo, Attention Please, Shanai Marriage Honey, Fugoh Keiji

Korea: I'm Not a Robot, My Love from the Star

China: My Little Happiness, Love Like White Jade, Sweet Teeth

Each country has also different actors and actresses. For example I can't imagine koreans or chinese to have someone so wacky as Ueto Aya... she is unique and I love her.

South korea in general definately but i prefer chinese historical dramas more than korean ones as they focus on the plot too

So, for contemporary, I say Korean. 

For historicals, Chinese for sure!

BUT I have a soft spot for contemporary Turkish dramas & may love them even a bit more than my Korean dramas. 

Also... I watch a TON of Thai dramas but they are more like a guilty pleasure for me. ^_^

Based on what I've watched so far... and my to watch list...

1. South Korea

2. China

3. Japan

I mostly watch Korean dramas, all genres; Chinese historical/fantasy dramas after that, and Japanese sometimes. I can't say much about the quality of Chinese and Japanese modern dramas because I haven't watched many of them (for multiple reasons) but I really like Korean dramas so I could say they are my favorite. 

Thats really difficult.

You definitely see that Korea focuses a lot on drama productions and it really shows. Their cinematography is very well done and personally i think they are the best when it comes to series productions. They dont go overboard with the episode amount, they have high quality in terms of camera and music  and acting is mostly very well done too. But i feel like they have gotten into a somewhat clichee gap the more popular they become.

Japan is superb in terms of unique stories and they truly shine in the movie sector. Its absolutely amazing what gems japan has to offer and how much they play around. Plus cinematography and acting is very artistic. The music department depends though.

China is a mixture. Some productions are absolutely mind blowing but its very hard to find things that stay on a high level from beginning to end. In terms of series their problem is the length. They go often overboard with how many episodes a drama has and thus the story ends up becoming a bit boring and stretched. The few Chinese dramas that stuck to a shorter episode amount (25 and under) however are absolutely well done. Same with movies. Some gems are there that are so superb well done. Music is always really well done with chinese productions, while cinematography depends again. Some work super good others not so much.

Really really well done are also Taiwanese dramas. Story, music, acting, cinematography, they really have a strong competitions and absolutely amazing. So far I have not come across a Taiwanese drama that was boring or not well done.

Thai dramas still need a bit in terms of production but story and acting is well done and often quite surprising with what they have in store. Though i think they cannot be truly compared to either Korean, Japan and China/Taiwan.

i say all cuz our taste in dramas make us choose the best one out of all

but i would say korea