@Meg so I've watched a bit of My Heart Twinkle twinkle (I swear I cringe every time I type this) and while I have to skip a loooot of it, woo tak is exactly what I was looking for!

That's surprising considering I absolutely detested this actor's character in Secret but I'm liking him in this

Also to anyone who likes these sort of male protagonists, I would suggest the Chinese movie Better days. There's a reason why it was nominated for the Oscars. It's got a really nice male lead. The kind you'd be scared of but is actually a gentleman. And the acting...was just mind blowing. But it can get pretty scary in parts (didn't bother me since I watch stuff like Voice, Sweet Home, The Guest, Taxi driver, The devil judge, Signal, Beyond Evil, less than evil, Stranger, Kingdom, tell me what you saw). 

but fair warning to those who might not be used to it, the bullying gets pretty intense.

I know it's not really what you are looking for but maybe try Nevertheless,

It is all romance with no business/political/mystery aspect but the male lead is super shady. He seems kind on the surface but actually kind of manipulative (and not a romanticized way) and the leads have this push-and-pull dynamic throughout the entire drama. 

Hanah:

I know it's not really what you are looking for but maybe try Nevertheless,

It is all romance with no business/political/mystery aspect but the male lead is super shady. He seems kind on the surface but actually kind of manipulative (and not a romanticized way) and the leads have this push-and-pull dynamic throughout the entire drama. 

Ugh no, I know all about nevertheless and no offence but the leads are just gross, definitely NOT my kind of drama :P

But thankyou for taking the time to recommend! 

emaureeng:

I thought the lead actress in Behind Your Smile was fine. I'd suggest watching the first episode. If it doesn't interest you, then stop there.

I've enjoyed a number of dramas from Taiwan, a bit surprised to be honest since they have a small population. (assuming that a large population means a bigger budget.)

Well if you say its good then I'll definitely give it it try! It sounds a little like that winter the wind blows and I did like that.

Thankyou!

I might be a little late, but I'm surprised no one recommended 'The Smile Has Left Your Eyes'. This drama is literally my favourite of all time. The ML is so dark, mysterious and and on some (many) occasions considered the 'bad guy' for the first couple of eps he was literally accused of being a murder. Even after getting the girl (and the most intense relationship I've ever seen) his personality doesn't really drop as he still has ulterior motives, further enhancing his 'bad guy/villain persona.   When you said you liked dark and serious melodramatic dramas I was like YES! cause that is fav genre. But yeah if you haven't it already seen I HIGHLY recommend. ( ps: just look at the drama's cover photo and you'll see what I mean)

softiemooyoung:

I might be a little late, but I'm surprised no one recommended 'The Smile Has Left Your Eyes'. This drama is literally my favourite of all time. The ML is so dark, mysterious and and on some (many) occasions considered the 'bad guy' for the first couple of eps he was literally accused of being a murder. Even after getting the girl (and the most intense relationship I've ever seen) his personality doesn't really drop as he still has ulterior motives, further enhancing his 'bad guy/villain persona.   When you said you liked dark and serious melodramatic dramas I was like YES! cause that is fav genre. But yeah if you haven't it already seen I HIGHLY recommend. ( ps: just look at the drama's cover photo and you'll see what I mean)

Hi, thankyou for your recommendation! I've actually tried to watch the smile has left your eyes and I eventually dropped it. I really disliked the male and female main characters and I couldn't get past certain things. Also it was very heavy on the romance end. I dont hate romance, just like it in limited quantities  :P