If you have finished the drama, then you may read on, because you should know that the drama had taken a MUCH different route with the ending. Whether it is because of censorship, creative differences, dramatic effect, who knows why.

In the novel, the ending takes place right after our main trio escapes from the "mines". It's a cave system in the book, but doesn't matter too much. So this part is the climax of the novel.

Mostly everything happen like in the drama: they go with a plan, which goes awry due to betrayals and Mu Lihua killing Chi Shan Ying. It is the same, up to the point Situ Weilian drinks the blood of Li Gui Sheng, because Weilian was almost killed by the dumbass Li Yingliang's ambush. They get trapped in the cave, which is burning when Mu Li Hua tries to smoke them out, and Weilian runs ahead with MiLan to find exit. Shen Zhiheng & LYL are  gravely injured. They prepare to die together, but LYL sees MLH coming and tries to sell SZH out again (rolls eyes, LYL is even worse in the novel). 

Outside, Weilian emerges with MiLan, but when she tries to run back into a raging fire for SZH, he gets mad and asks if she loves SZH, she realizes she does, declares she loves him (censored in the drama to "care for") and runs back in. ("I will save his body, because he has saved my soul.")

MiLan finds MLH about to pull the trigger to blow apart SZH's head (in the novel, MLH only wants to kill him, as there are no such thing as power stones), and Milan skewers MLH's neck with her walking stick. Badass. She and SZH fight and kill their way out of the many soldiers, even losing control and drinking  human blood to heal. They leave LYL to die; he was too injured and he was scum to the end.

Later, Weilian  finds a dying LYL while searching for ML/SZH.  LYL begs him to save his life, turn him into a vampire, and he will be his servant forever. WL bites and turns him. (WL's intention here is purely to have a "servant". His brain is wired differently; he lacks humanity. The drama has him loveable, but he can be very creepy.)

After SZH heals, it is the day before their boat ticket is to depart to Shanghai. They were all packed before the incident, so ML & SZH leaves as scheduled. 

On the boat, MiLan decides not to call him "Mr. Shen" anymore. 

ML: "Hey."

SZH turns to look at her. 

ML grabs his sleeve. "I love you."

SZH couldn't hear her over the waves. "What?"

ML shouts in his ear:"I like you!"

SZH is shocked and surprised, and replies: "I know."

ML: "No, you don't know! I love you! I want to marry you in the future."

SZH is speechless, and unable to respond. A few days later, they dock in Shanghai, and start the rest of their immortal lives together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last scene: At Jin Jingxue's home, she is still waiting for Li Yingliang to come back. Someone knocks at her door, and when she opens it, she sees LYL ahead of her under a streetlight. He says to her, "I am back." Behind him, Situ Weilian comes out of the shadows, and both men stand there, smiling at her. 

THE END.

Thank you for that. I would’ve preferred that ending honestly even though I didn’t feel any romantic connection between our leads. Though the ending for the others is a little creepy, but I like that kind of creepy.

Thank you @haveninmuse for taking your time to post this! ❤️❤️❤️

And @Enigma05 you made me chuckle about Frick and Frack being a little creepy with that joint smiling ending…

Enigma05:

Thank you for that. I would’ve preferred that ending honestly even though I didn’t feel any romantic connection between our leads. Though the ending for the others is a little creepy, but I like that kind of creepy.

You're welcome! Situ Weilian is very creepy in the novel, especially that ending with LYL. Both of them standing there, staring at her, and she has no idea they aren't human anymore. If I have to guess, this scene implies that since  LYL never loved JX, and now as WL's slave, JX is to be presented to weilian now.

The drama whitewashed STWL a lot; I get whiplash from his back and forth. One moment he's trying to engage Milan to go kill humans, and next he's a puppy dog, then hes stalking Jingxue like a predator, then hes lovable and devoted.

I don’t know what he was like in the novel but on screen to me he basically acted like a typical vampire without any human needs or emotions until he started to really fall for JX. Then he got confused and went to his big brother going “what’s going on? I don’t understand my feelings.” I think he’s a lot more complicated on screen and unfortunately, we don’t get to see all of that complication because of LYL’s constant presence.  He’s the one that when Jax was in his apartment and the two of them were staring out two different windows was thinking to himself “what is love? What is it really mean?” After which he went to his brother.

Lilybilly:

Thank you @haveninmuse for taking your time to post this! ❤️❤️❤️

And @Enigma05 you made me chuckle about Frick and Frack being a little creepy with that joint smiling ending…

Frick and Frack? Good one lol. Though I’m glad Frack was taken out by the lava bomb because in the drama there was too much of him.

Enigma05:

I don’t know what he was like in the novel but on screen to me he basically acted like a typical vampire without any human needs or emotions until he started to really fall for JX. Then he got confused and went to his big brother going “what’s going on? I don’t understand my feelings.” I think he’s a lot more complicated on screen and unfortunately, we don’t get to see all of that complication because of LYL’s constant presence.  He’s the one that when Jax was in his apartment and the two of them were staring out two different windows was thinking to himself “what is love? What is it really mean?” After which he went to his brother.

Yup, the drama showed his indecision and willingness to learn to be human well. In the novel, he never cares about learning. He basically says I am what I am, who cares about anyone else. He has this almost primal instinct to love Jingxue; he has no idea why, nor how long it will last, and no matter how she feels about it.  It can be very obsessive and creepy. Winwin is so adorable and brought something else to the drama for this character, though.

I agree he was very much like someone who hasn’t lived over 100 years.

I like this ending for Mi Lan and Shen Zhi heng way better than what they did in the series.

Thank you so much! This is the ending that I was expecting from the drama. Why did they have to go mess it up so bad!

Thank you for this novel ending because on FB they said it was a sad ending so I will watch until the last episode and imagine this ending. or just cut it at 21 already because I have no patience for sad endings especially when the author did not write it as such. I have no desire for sad endings i have those in real life.

SetMeFree:

Thank you for this novel ending because on FB they said it was a sad ending so I will watch until the last episode and imagine this ending. or just cut it at 21 already because I have no patience for sad endings especially when the author did not write it as such. I have no desire for sad endings i have those in real life.

In the drama, if you quit watching it at the end of Ep23, it will be a good drama. The last episode is all over the place, like they had to rush, or added it to please the censorship higher-ups, edited poorly, bad CGI budget, etc. The Last ep is nothing from the book, so I just end the drama in my head at episode 23.

Why the heck the drama ending is so different? it's like WeTV want to kill him so badly??

And why the heck they even censor when she confess that she loved him? 

Haveninmuse:

In the drama, if you quit watching it at the end of Ep23, it will be a good drama. The last episode is all over the place, like they had to rush, or added it to please the censorship higher-ups, edited poorly, bad CGI budget, etc. The Last ep is nothing from the book, so I just end the drama in my head at episode 23.

Because WeTV is under the Chinese govt. Not like Youku and iQIYI as they are private.  Youku belongs to Alibaba. That's why WeTV is always an 4sskisser to the higher up. 

After reading this, I wish I could take some parts of the novel and some from rhe drama. ??

Thank you for sharing!